HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Top 10 UFA defensemen?

Old
05-27-2009, 05:55 AM
hockeylove

vCash: 500
1. Jay Bouwmeester 5 years at 6 mil (MAX he'll get)
2. Scott Niedermayer 2 years at 3 mil
3. Mike Komisarek 3-4 years 4.25 mil (MAX)
4. Mattias Ohlund 3-4 years at 3.5 mil
5. Adrian Aucoin 2 years at 2.25 mil
6. Dennis Seidenberg 3 years 2.5 mil
7. Francois Beauchemin 3-4 years at 2.25 mil

With cap uncertainty your not going to see the ridiculous numbers of last few years

hockeylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:32 AM
HatTrick89

Send a message via AIM to HatTrick89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylove View Post

With cap uncertainty your not going to see the ridiculous numbers of last few years
Niedemayer will get 5 mil. at least...I'd be suprised if J-Bouw doesn't get something like 7 mil per year

HatTrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Dog View Post
Ohlund (4 x 5.00M) - NYR
Won't happen.

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Absolutely no way. I appreciate the cap plays a bigger role now but when push comes to shove you get rid of lesser players from your roster, not star blueliners. Bouwmeester will get bigger money than 6m - I'm certain of that.

Sure, your fringe players out there, they can kiss goodbye to a big pay cheque but Bouwmeester will get 7m per with some ease I believe. There are simply too many suitors for a 'free' (i.e. UFA) 26 year old franchise #1 D.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:37 PM
caley

Because most of the lists are starting to look a little same-y to me, here's the Top 10 UFAs that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

1. Hal Gill: One half of the best shutdown tandem of in the playoffs, if anyone is disputing his worth, they only need to look and see what Gill and Scuderi did to Staal.

2. Cory Murphy: Found new life in Tampa Bay, looking not only like the power play QB he was signed to become, but like a guy who could play important minutes at both ends of the puck despite his small stature, like Brian Rafalski.

3. Brenden Bell: Bell put up 21 points for Ottawa this season, despite the fact he very rarely saw time on the #1 PP unit. Finally started to deliver on the potential he showed all those years ago.

4. Adam Pardy: According to Cap Central, he's an UFA this summer. Started the year a little rocky, but by the end of the year, I can remember reading some Flames fans write that they trusted Pardy on the ice at key moments in the game more than Phaneuf. Plus, he can capably jump up and play the wing on a fourth line. He's the kind of guy who gets no press, but is a great element to have on your team.

5. Ville Koistinen: A year ago, Koistinen started to blossom down the stretch and looked like Nashville's PP QB of the future, but this season saw him struggle, get passed on the depth chart, and ultimately ask for a trade. He never got it, but he could be a cheap pick-up that might blossom for a team with cap trouble looking for an offensive defencemen on the cheap.

6. Mike Weaver: Weaver was pretty much a write-off before the season began, picked up as depth for the Blues' farm team, but once the Blues defenders started dropping like flies, Weaver got a shot at playing and never let go, providing steady minutes for the Blues, despite their top two defencemen being out for most of the season, and playing surprisingly effective defence for someone who's only 5'9". He's never gonna be a Top 4 guy, but he's a guy you'd love to carry in your top 7.

7. Steve Montador: Montador looked great with the Bruins in the playoffs. He's tough, he can jump into the rush in a pinch, and he can even line up as a forward. He didn't get signed until well into the summer last year, I don't think he lasts that long this year.

8. Kyle McLaren: When McLaren was put on waivers and sent to the minors, the Sharks and their fans said repeatedly that it wasn't a talent issue, but a salary one. Simply put, if McLaren was making less than the $2.5 million he made last year, his grit and experience would have likely been enough to earn him a spot on the Sharks blueline. This summer will test that theory, the Flyers thought enough of him at the deadline to make a move for him (Only for it to be rescinded due to an injury), if McLaren is prepared to sign for less this year, expect him to get a chance with somebody.

9. Johnny Boychuk: After 4 seasons spent languishing in the Colorado developmental system, Boychuk was dealt to the Boston Bruins last summer, and exploded for 20 goals and 65 points for Providence of the AHL. Just 25, there's still time for him to develop into an NHL blueliner.

10. Nathan Oystrick: Oystrick had a solid rookie season for the Thrashers, putting up 12 points in 53 games. He's only 26, so there's still time for him to improve.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Says the Devils fan. Oduya is great though. I'd put Leopold and probably Morris over him nonetheless.
Says the West Coast fan. Leopold and Morris aren't in Oduya's class. Oduya puts up more points than both and has far superior ESGA numbers.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Go Habs Go

I don't know about Morris but i certainly wouldn't put Leopold over Oduya. Oduya is greatly underrated and Leopold is grossly overrated.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:32 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Pretty bad crop of UFA defensemen...

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:36 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Says the West Coast fan. Leopold and Morris aren't in Oduya's class. Oduya puts up more points than both and has far superior ESGA numbers.
Oh look another NJ fan.

Relax I was just pointing out that it doesn't bode well for credibility when a fan talks up his own team's players. It's just difficult to swallow without a grain of salt. Oh and Morris has been a Ranger since the trade deadline so that West Coast fan quip kind of dies there. I would say Leopold and Morris are more experienced and defensively sound than Oduya however. The ESGA numbers I attribute to NJ's great D system as a whole. Not to knock on Oduya's game but I just think those other guys are a smidge better in that facet. Don't go nuclear now that someone expressed a different opinion.

Edit: Oh and I don't know if I made it clear but I think Oduya will be better than Leopold and Morris. I just think he needs more time before that is definitive.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Boondock

top 10 are pretty standard JBO's the best down from there, but here's my 10 of 2nd tier guys who won't break the bank, but will be the "missing pieces" for a team.

1) Seidenberg - not a tough dman, but good moving the puck, would be a good replacement for Ohlund in Vancouver, probably aroung 3-3.25 a yr.
2) Zanon - super tough, shot blocking machine - would complete Philly's back line - 2-2.5 per
3) Oduya - Solid dman, can play in any position, would look good on any team, Dallas could use some experience especially if Zubov isn't 100% - 3.5 per
4) Spacek - always been underrated - great outlet pass - probably resign with Buff
5) Montador - tough as nails, chips in with a couple points - sort of a poor mans Commador - would add some toughness to the Oils 3rd pairing - somewhere around 2 mil per
6) Beauchemin - not really a dark-horse but not a JBo or Niedermayer - Montreal could use his shot from the blue line - 3.5-4 per yr
7) Scuderi - really has turned himself into a very solid all around dman - Pitt would be wise to lock him up, but I could see 20 teams interested in his services - 2.5 per
8) Aucoin - he can still shoot, and is pretty sound positionally - I could see Montreal trying to add him if they lose out on bigger fish - 2.5-3 per
9) Mara - is a big body - not overly physical but plays a simple relatively mistake free game - Wash could use a veteran presence on their blue line - 1.75 -ish..
10) Vaananen - looked pretty good in Philly at the start of the season - doesn't do anything spectacular, but doesn't do anything poorly either - won't score a lot - won't play 23 min per night but is a good veteran option for 1.25-1.5 per

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Regin 43*

In order:

Bouwmeester
Beauchemin
Komisarek
Oduya
Morris
Ohlund
Mara
Spacek
Scuderi
Leopold
Zanon

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:43 PM
lancer247

Quote:

i agree with your #'s and hopr you're right...the only one i see blowing away your #'s is jbo...i can see him getting 7MM even w/ an uncertain financial atmosphere...and i think beauch may get $3MM.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Boondock

Quote:

I hope for my teams cap reasons those are the numbers, but I have a feeling you're nearly 1 mil off on all of your #'s

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Starsdude

Zubie could be back but more like 3 mill. Right now I am not sure he is healthy. Dallas will almost definitely get a d-man but Jackson said that most UFA d-man contracts are too long for too much. I would not be suprised to see a younger d-man and pick packaged for a legit top pairing guy. Stars have lots of depth (Robidas Nisky Daley Grossman Fistric and potentially Zubie and Vishneskiy) not sure who fits the bill though

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:01 PM
0V3CHKiN

J-bo is gonna get Campbell money.

0V3CHKiN is offline   Reply With Quote