HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Honestly, do you think Montoya will start next season?

Old
05-26-2009, 10:25 PM
t3hg00se

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Honestly, do you think Montoya will start next season?

He finished really strong this season, and I think it's safe to say he'll at least see 10-20 games next season. But do you think he could pull that starting position?

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:29 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
He finished really strong this season, and I think it's safe to say he'll at least see 10-20 games next season. But do you think he could pull that starting position?
no. not a chance.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
no. not a chance.
None, whatsoever.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
None, whatsoever.
Impossible to tell. He's only played 5 NHL games since being drafted 5 years ago.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
He's only played 5 NHL games since being drafted 5 years ago.
That should be your first indicator.

Old
05-26-2009, 11:06 PM
zz

The only scenario I can think of is Bryz gets injured, Montoya plays out of his mind for 2+ straight months, Bryz comes back and plays terrible.

I wouldn't bet on it.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:26 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Perhaps. Maloney told me that he will be taking a hard look at goaltending.

http://westernhockeyexchange.blogspot.com/

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:58 AM
indczn

If we have the same idiot coaching staff that plays Bryz 15+ straight games til hes tired and montoya comes in strong, anything is possible.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:00 AM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Perhaps. Maloney told me that he will be taking a hard look at goaltending.

http://westernhockeyexchange.blogspot.com/
I would hope because Brzy can't play as much as he did last season. Dude was rundown towards the end. They need a viable #2 guy to take some of the load off him so he can remain relatively fresh and on top of his game. I'm not too too sure Montoya is that guy. I know Maloney believes in him but you have to set the man crush to the side and start thinking objectively.

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:17 AM
yakko

Quote:
In the AHL?

He'll have to show a lot in training camp just to win the back up job. From what Maloney has said multiple times in the off-season and has demonstrated in the past, he likes competition. Odds are a more veteran back up comes in to challenge Tordjman and Montoya for the back up job. Even if he does, Montoya has proven inconsistent and really needs to show more than a flashes of talent to win an NHL job.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:18 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
In the AHL?

He'll have to show a lot in training camp just to win the back up job. From what Maloney has said multiple times in the off-season and has demonstrated in the past, he likes competition. Odds are a more veteran back up comes in to challenge Tordjman and Montoya for the back up job. Even if he does, Montoya has proven inconsistent and really needs to show more than a flashes of talent to win an NHL job.
They need to at least give a veteran #2 a look. I have a feeling the Yotes will miss Telly. Remember the time before Tellqvist? You could effectively pencil in a non CuJo night as a loss.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:32 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
They need to at least give a veteran #2 a look. I have a feeling the Yotes will miss Telly. Remember the time before Tellqvist? You could effectively pencil in a non CuJo night as a loss.
Oh yes, I remember. I also agree with you. I was just trying to answer the original post somewhat objectively

Old
05-27-2009, 08:30 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I think, barring some unforeseen event, Bryzgalov will have the starting job for most of the season with Monty as the backup. However, if the team begins to collapse like it did late this past season, I bet Montoya will be in there most nights. Bryzgalov is on a bit of a short leash now.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:04 AM
knowsthegame

Bryz showed he is a world class goalie at the world championships winning the gold medal and stoning the Canadians in the final game. If used properly (coached properly) he could have a breakout year. I'm not sold on Montoya as a back up. What about Manny Legace? Maybe too much money, though.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:55 AM
pondnorth

Quote:
5 games at the end of the season hardly says finished really strong.He will be lucky to start in the ahl.

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:37 PM
howlinpuckhead2

You Know What... I Think He Can! I know He's only played a few NHL Games but his 1st was a shut out... How many goalies have pulled that off their first NHL Game! Have Some Faith People!!!!

howlinpuckhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:08 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinpuckhead2 View Post
You Know What... I Think He Can! I know He's only played a few NHL Games but his 1st was a shut out... How many goalies have pulled that off their first NHL Game! Have Some Faith People!!!!
A couple of games is not enough. Have some faith? I do, in Bryzgalov. Bryzgalov is a starter and has shown it. The starting job is Bryzgalov's to lose.

I know some people want to believe in Montoya. I don't want to tell you he will never succeed because I don't know that. I would be really happy if Montoya turned into a big time goalie for the Coyotes.

How many of you really, realistically expect Montoya to even make the NHL? I don't just mean hope, or have faith, or wish. I mean really expect him to even make the opening night roster in the NHL much less end up a starter. Isn't that the question? It's incredibly unlikely.

Old
05-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Chootoi

he will definitely not be starter to open the season, but who's to say he won't take over by the end? i think this will be montoya's defining year. i think the coaching staff has a good opportunity here to really push both goalies here. you give montoya a good 20-30 games (as long as he doesn't fall flat on his face), and if he's stepping up and proving himself you let bryz know he's on a short leash. he's always been better when under pressure anyway.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
he will definitely not be starter to open the season, but who's to say he won't take over by the end?
Who's to say? Bryzgalov, that's who. Bryzgalov will prove he's a top fifteen starter in the world and Montoya will have to be very lucky to prove he's a top fifteen starter in the AHL. Any stinking goalie can get hot and look good for a handful of games. We in Phoenix ought to know that better than anyone. Does nobody remember a guy named Brian Boucher? How did he turn out?

Old
05-29-2009, 11:25 AM
howlinpuckhead2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
A couple of games is not enough. Have some faith? I do, in Bryzgalov. Bryzgalov is a starter and has shown it. The starting job is Bryzgalov's to lose.

I know some people want to believe in Montoya. I don't want to tell you he will never succeed because I don't know that. I would be really happy if Montoya turned into a big time goalie for the Coyotes.

How many of you really, realistically expect Montoya to even make the NHL? I don't just mean hope, or have faith, or wish. I mean really expect him to even make the opening night roster in the NHL much less end up a starter. Isn't that the question? It's incredibly unlikely.
OOPS! Sorry... I missed read the starting post I think.. It was late... Anywho... I absolutely LOVE Bryzgalov! Of course He gets to start! I think he is an aweome goalie! What I ment to say was I think he could be Bryz's back-up since we do not have telly anymore and Torj just doesn't cut it... But Bryz is hands down the starting goalie!!!

howlinpuckhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Who's to say? Bryzgalov, that's who. Bryzgalov will prove he's a top fifteen starter in the world and Montoya will have to be very lucky to prove he's a top fifteen starter in the AHL. Any stinking goalie can get hot and look good for a handful of games. We in Phoenix ought to know that better than anyone. Does nobody remember a guy named Brian Boucher? How did he turn out?
This is exactly it, but still, you ride the hot hand. There's nothing wrong with healthy competition, and montoya has proven that he deserves a longer look by the big club. Of course you don't just hand over the reigns to a guy that has 3 games under his belt. That's just suicide. But regardless if montoya has as 12.50 GAA in the AHL, if he comes in and steals a few games while Bryz is on one of his typical mid-season "mellows", as a coach you'd be pretty stupid not to go to a hot Montoya, should the situation arise.

Of course this is all 'ifs' and 'buts'. Of course Bryz could have a vezina season, and Montoya could fall off the face of the earth. Lots can happen. Who knows, we may not be talking about either guy this fall.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:35 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
... montoya has proven that he deserves a longer look by the big club...
I'll certainly agree with you on this.

Old
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
LaLaLand

maybe he does deserve a chance to prove he can be a decent number two goalie, dont think he has earned a shot at number one by any means

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 07:05 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
I am the only who doesn't understand the notion that there's something wrong with Bryzgalov?

Is he not easily the best goalie we've had since Burke?

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I am the only who doesn't understand the notion that there's something wrong with Bryzgalov?

Is he not easily the best goalie we've had since Burke?
yes he is.

But then make a list of the goalies we've had since Burke. The title is nothing to brag about.