HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Honestly, do you think Montoya will start next season?

Old
05-29-2009, 09:24 PM
60DegreesIsCold

vCash: 500
I actually think Bryzgalov's one of the best things we've got going for us. This wasn't a real stellar year for him, but I've heard he was very impressive during the IIHF World Championships and the stats look awesome, and last year he had a .921 save percentage. There must be something in the water over in Anaheim. He's great.

I do agree though that he might need to be playing fewer games with increased competition from his backup. If Montoya could do it, he would be the best option (currently cheap and potentially longterm). It's hard to judge him as an NHL goalie off of 5 games though. Colorado and LA were terrible in the games he played against them, so it was hard to get too excited about those. On the other hand, I was very impressed with him against San Jose, when he was tested and came up big. We'll see.

60DegreesIsCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
yes he is.

But then make a list of the goalies we've had since Burke. The title is nothing to brag about.
I just don't like the thought that because he had one less than great season on a team that was, quite frankly, horrible, in a role that he isn't quite accustomed to yet that he needs to go now.

We've already been through that period between Burke and Bryz. Does anyone really want risk to going through it again? Because that's what happen will happen if Montoya doesn't pan out. And, at this point the odds are against him panning out.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 02:09 PM
JacksonGalaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
That should be your first indicator.
To be fair, goaltender more than any other position boasts a lot of late bloomers. It looks bleak, but you never know.

JacksonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 07:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd just like to chime in with a Curtis Joseph was not all that bad, if nobody minds. I mean, he wasn't an All-Star, by any means, but he didn't totally suck, either. It just seems he's always forgotten about in these discussions.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'd just like to chime in with a Curtis Joseph was not all that bad, if nobody minds. I mean, he wasn't an All-Star, by any means, but he didn't totally suck, either. It just seems he's always forgotten about in these discussions.
plus it didn't help that he had a total cluster**** of a team in front of him

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
AzYotes18

there is not something in the water in Anaheim, its the fact that they have a good goalie coach.

I may stand alone, but I believe Bryz can be a force over the next 5 years. If the guy gets a great coach like he had in Anaheim than we are on our way to the playoffs.

Bryz won the gold medal for Russia! They beat Canada.

Fact is, when you have guys that aren't Hale in front of you,...you might have a shot at stopping the puck. Our D needs to improve, and we need new coaches.

Bryz is the real deal, he needs to be given a chance.

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post
there is not something in the water in Anaheim, its the fact that they have a good goalie coach.

I may stand alone, but I believe Bryz can be a force over the next 5 years. If the guy gets a great coach like he had in Anaheim than we are on our way to the playoffs.

Bryz won the gold medal for Russia! They beat Canada.

Fact is, when you have guys that aren't Hale in front of you,...you might have a shot at stopping the puck. Our D needs to improve, and we need new coaches.

Bryz is the real deal, he needs to be given a chance.
Alas... back to the issue of coaching

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:15 PM
AzYotes18

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
Alas... back to the issue of coaching

sorry, I've been off HF for awhile, I'm sure it's been discussed at length. Just trying to say I think Bryz can be a starter with the right coach to teach him.

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:35 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
he will definitely not be starter to open the season, but who's to say he won't take over by the end? i think this will be montoya's defining year. i think the coaching staff has a good opportunity here to really push both goalies here. you give montoya a good 20-30 games (as long as he doesn't fall flat on his face), and if he's stepping up and proving himself you let bryz know he's on a short leash. he's always been better when under pressure anyway.
Wow. The Montoya love reminds me of the Az Cardinals board love that rains on Matty Leinart the backup QB. Except thatthe Cards actually accomplished something this past season. Won more games than they lost and got into the playoff finals.

Was Montoya better than Telly?

Bryz should be #1.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Wow. The Montoya love reminds me of the Az Cardinals board love that rains on Matty Leinart the backup QB. Except thatthe Cards actually accomplished something this past season. Won more games than they lost and got into the playoff finals.

Was Montoya better than Telly?

Bryz should be #1.
woah woah. I've never said Bryz shouldn't be #1. He's the man until he... well until he's not the man anymore. BUT at the same time you can't ride him like Kipper or Luongo or Brodeur. He doesn't have the endurance for a season like that. He's the kind of guy who wears down. THAT'S where Montoya comes in. Just give him a solid amount of starts as a regular backup should get and as long as he doesn't totally **** the bed just let him grow. If he shows he may have the juice to become more than a backup then you use it to push Bryzgalov because we all know he's had tendencies of losing focus after a string of starts. I don't think they did that with Telly. They either played him when it was too late (after Bryz had a meltdown) or when he was injured.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote