HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - George Stroumboulopoulos

Old
05-27-2009, 01:19 AM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
OT - George Stroumboulopoulos

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...LPage&id=31820

Quote:
Are you a big Koivu guy?
GS: I think so much of this franchise is about Saku Koivu. People who criticize Saku Koivu in this city donít know anything. They really donít and I have no problem calling them out. You look at what he consistently does on the ice, but moreover what he means to the brand and to this city. In the mid-90s, this team lost its way. They just didnít understand. I think they thought they understood but I think they forgot what it felt like to be a kid that loved this team and I think they lost their way. They were firing coaches and trading captains and they lost the plot; Koivu was the beginning of the return.
Strombo will never forget Koivu's return from cancer in 2002.
Everyone talks about the game when he came back from Cancer, but for me it was actually the first body check he threw that really set things off. The crowd was as loud as you can imagine at the start and the only two times thatís ever happened Ė unplanned Ė were for him and for Maurice Richard when the Forum closed. After Koivuís first body check, the place got even louder, which didnít even seem possible. It was because Koivu represented something that was above and beyond him and it was above and beyond the team. It was the combination of the player, the role model, the franchise, the jersey, all of that. Koivu to me is this team.
Loved that part.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Fire Brunet*

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:04 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Damn right.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Kikizaz

amen,
Im sure there are several of us who still remember this passion.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:05 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Very nice, I am a fan of the Hour, great show.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

You tell em' STROMBO!

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Jack Bourdain
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Thank you for posting this. He's a great guy, and seems to know his hockey.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan1990 View Post

What does GS know about hockey??? Does he not realize that Koivu hasn't came close to helping us win a cup in his career?

The whole "Koivu coming back from cancer" deal wasn't leadership, it was just motivation....it didn't make the team better and Koivu didn't score 30 points in the playoffs to lead the way to the cup, the team played better for a few games and then they lost....same old, same old!!!!

I have tremendous respect for Koivu and all he has done as the team captain of the Habs, but the fact still remains......all the things he has done for the team and the city doesn't translate into Koivu being a top 10 player in the league and it doesn't translate into the team winning the cup.

Its time for the Habs to get that bonafide top 10 player to be the team captain and lead the team on the ice by scoring points and making the team play better.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
What does GS know about hockey??? Does he not realize that Koivu hasn't came close to helping us win a cup in his career?

The whole "Koivu coming back from cancer" deal wasn't leadership, it was just motivation....it didn't make the team better and Koivu didn't score 30 points in the playoffs to lead the way to the cup, the team played better for a few games and then they lost....same old, same old!!!!

I have tremendous respect for Koivu and all he has done as the team captain of the Habs, but the fact still remains......all the things he has done for the team and the city doesn't translate into Koivu being a top 10 player in the league and it doesn't translate into the team winning the cup.

Its time for the Habs to get that bonafide top 10 player to be the team captain and lead the team on the ice by scoring points and making the team play better.
You could take koivu out and replace him with an all time great like lemieux or gretzky ans the team still wouldnt have a cup.

The fact of the matter is that all the great players who have won championships have one thing in common, an excellent supporting cast.

Lemieux had Coffey, Jagr, Stevens, Trottier etc...
Gretzky had Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Messier etc...
Orr had Esposito, Park and many others

Now, those greats that never won a cup? They didnt have the supporting cast.... like Marcel Dionne

Who has koivu had to play with? His best year came on a line with Audette and Bulis.... Hockey is a team game, this is not the nba where one single player can have an enormous say in the fate of their respective teams.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
juggernaut

Quote:

So basically your saying that if we got say Kovalchuk or Lecavalier the only way we would win the cup is if they were wearing the C? You put way too much stock in a letter on a jersey.

juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You could take koivu out and replace him with an all time great like lemieux or gretzky ans the team still wouldnt have a cup.

The fact of the matter is that all the great players who have won championships have one thing in common, an excellent supporting cast.

Lemieux had Coffey, Jagr, Stevens, Trottier etc...
Gretzky had Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Messier etc...
Orr had Esposito, Park and many others

Now, those greats that never won a cup? They didnt have the supporting cast.... like Marcel Dionne

Who has koivu had to play with? His best year came on a line with Audette and Bulis.... Hockey is a team game, this is not the nba where one single player can have an enormous say in the fate of their respective teams.

Yeah but when you have star players on the team, it attracts other star players to come and play with that team and make it better and better every year.

I'm not saying that one or 2 good players is going to win us a cup, but its a start. Its a path in the right direction at least.

I think the Canadiens have a good supporting cast right now, all we need is a couple of great players and you'd have the same thing Lemieux had when he won cups in Pittsburgh....according to what you just finished saying.

Old
05-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
So basically your saying that if we got say Kovalchuk or Lecavalier the only way we would win the cup is if they were wearing the C? You put way too much stock in a letter on a jersey.

I'm not saying that giving the C to one of those players is going to win us a cup, I'm just saying that Koivu having the C definitely isn't going to win us a cup.

Wasting X amount of dollars on Koivu to keep him around and still be the team captain is pointless. He is getting slower and older....if he hasn't lead us to the cup yet, he sure isn't going to in the next 3 years.

I'm saying we need to part ways with Koivu and try something new. Thats it....thats all.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Andy

George Stroumboulopoulos is a smart man, too bad I can't say the same about the majority of habs fans.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:15 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

i guess i know nothing about hockey then

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:29 AM
zurg999

Quote:
I'm not saying that giving the C to one of those players is going to win us a cup, I'm just saying that Koivu having the C definitely isn't going to win us a cup.

Wasting X amount of dollars on Koivu to keep him around and still be the team captain is pointless. He is getting slower and older....if he hasn't lead us to the cup yet, he sure isn't going to in the next 3 years.

I'm saying we need to part ways with Koivu and try something new. Thats it....thats all.

You make a couple of reasonable points, but what I've bolded above invalidates anything else you might say. Do you think when you write?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Clumsyhab

Strombo keeps referring to that body check that Koivu gave when he was back from cancer. Does anyone know against who Koivu gave that check? From what I remember, it was wheater his 1st game back vs Ottawa or the first game in the playoff vs the Bruins. The commentators were saying that Koivu wasnt 100% yet and he should avoid physical play. Then the game just started and BOOOOM!!!! Koivu crushed a d-man with his head down making him bleed. If anyone remember who was that defenseman, i would very appreciated that.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:

Pittsburgh has 2 star players. Who did they attract? Star players like Sykora, Satan and Fedotenko? Even Hossa didn't want to sign there.

I don't understand your reasoning. The team's point leader is by default the captain? Then Niklas Lidstrom, Craig Rivet, Brendan Morrow, Patrick Marleau, Rod Brind'amour, Ethan Moreau, Scott Niedermayer and Dustin Brown are all bad captains?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Yeah but when you have star players on the team, it attracts other star players to come and play with that team and make it better and better every year.

I'm not saying that one or 2 good players is going to win us a cup, but its a start. Its a path in the right direction at least.

I think the Canadiens have a good supporting cast right now, all we need is a couple of great players and you'd have the same thing Lemieux had when he won cups in Pittsburgh....according to what you just finished saying.
It's ok, we'll just wait for some good players contracts to expire and then we'll sign them to contracts! Oh wait...

The reality is that nobody (well technically not nobody, but no all-stars anyway) has willingly come to Montreal via the UFA market. And then when a guy waives his no-trade clause to come to Montreal (Tanguay) we have fans on this board who knock him for being soft.

And then there is Saku who hasn't claimed to be God's gift to hockey or promised anything. He's a player that does his best but it hasn't worked out in the Stanley Cup department. Blaming him for our lack of success is comical though.

I guess what you're saying is to get Vinny and let Koivu walk. I would keep both if we were to somehow get Vinny. Otherwise, what star players will even fathom coming to Montreal?!?!

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Quagmier

Quote:

Answer this question:
Who was captain of the Lightning when they won the cup in 03-04?

(hint: It wasn't Vinny)

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:27 PM
number 11

Quote:

So you don't believe having a career playoff point per game player is an asset to the team? Sounds to me like he's doing enough and the rest of the team needs to help out a little more. One single player doesn't win a cup....a team wins the cup.

You think we're gonna bring in a superstar that will automatically get the C and lead us to the cup himself? You're dreaming.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

With all due respect, what do you know about hockey???..
You, like him, are just a fan. He knows just about as much as the other Habs fan.
More so, if we listen to all the interviews he's done talking about the habs, we can see that he knows his stuff. He's even more knowledgeable about them than some of the french ''experts'' covering them.

I really love how you say it's time for the Habs to get a bonafide top 10 scorer. Wow...what a statement.
What does this have to do with Koivu exactly??..You think Koivu is preventing this from happening??..
We don't have to name a top 10 scorer the captain, if we were to get them.

Over and over again in your post you seem to think the only way for us to land such a big player is if Koivu is gone.

That's one hell of a ridiculous assumption.

Quote:

During the off season last year, Pittsburgh wasn't able to lure anybody there. They couldn't even re-sign Malone that opted for more money rather than continue at a discount with the team that went to the SCF.

Kovalchuk is one of the best players in the league, got to admit that the UFAs just jump at the chance of playing there!

TB had Vinny and St-Louis, their best signing was Malone at an overpayment?..

Koivu has nothing to do with any of the things you're talking about.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Top 10 players in the league aren't exactly available. The teams who do have top 10 players didn't do **** either. Atlanta, Tampa bay, ****ing ovechkin didnt make it past 2nd round. Koivu has a role, why does everybody need to be a superstar on a team? He's our 2nd line center, it's not his fault they never found a first.

Old
05-27-2009, 01:15 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Atlanta has a huge line-up, all the free agents want to go play with Ilya!

Old
05-27-2009, 11:47 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:

How can you lead a team like we had all those years to a stanley cup???? HOW IN HELL???? We weren't even playoff worthy... you should say HOW DID HE GET US IN THE PLAYOFFS ALL THOSE YEARS??? Ingratitude and lack of hockey knowledge. That sums your post pretty well. Why spend money on Koivu??? Maybe because we have no one else.... maybe because we don't want an AHL team...maybe because no other notable ufa will come here...maybe because we shouyd do as the wings do (keep our good players that care)...People who talk about spending too much money... do you freakin pay the players??? I want this team to spend to the cap every freakin year!!!!!!!!! christ!

edit: If you want to get better as a team, you add good players, not let them walk to replace them...this way YOU DON'T GET BETTER AT ALL!!!! Koivu can give us a couple more good years at a lower salary and diminished role. People like you sound like the french media to me... dumb and uneducated comments.

welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited by peperebougon*: 05-27-2009 at 11:55 PM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Kirk Muller

Stoumbo is the only person worth watching on Canadian television. Bar none.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote