HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - George Stroumboulopoulos

Old
05-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Habs

vCash: 500
Koivu = scapegoat for Bob Gainey's failure as a GM.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:52 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Saku.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
What does GS know about hockey??? Does he not realize that Koivu hasn't came close to helping us win a cup in his career?

The whole "Koivu coming back from cancer" deal wasn't leadership, it was just motivation....it didn't make the team better and Koivu didn't score 30 points in the playoffs to lead the way to the cup, the team played better for a few games and then they lost....same old, same old!!!!

I have tremendous respect for Koivu and all he has done as the team captain of the Habs, but the fact still remains......all the things he has done for the team and the city doesn't translate into Koivu being a top 10 player in the league and it doesn't translate into the team winning the cup.

Its time for the Habs to get that bonafide top 10 player to be the team captain and lead the team on the ice by scoring points and making the team play better.
The bulk of Koivu's career was during the Habs long rebuilding process after Houle tore the team apart. Expecting Koivu on his lonesome to carry that team of ahlers to the cup is illogical. Now that the team is starting to crawl out of the cellar, he's old and is now slowly starting to decline. The way you downplay the return of a man after battling death, mid season to lead his teamates into the playoffs as simply motivation and not leadership is troubling and disgusting.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 03:05 AM
tinyzombies

Koivu has heart, no question. Hard to understand why he's criticized so much. He's 35 now though, so he has to go at some point, but I don't think the time has come just yet. I'd give him a two year deal with incentives.

Kovalev might want hard money though...

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 04:03 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Yeah but when you have star players on the team, it attracts other star players to come and play with that team and make it better and better every year.

I'm not saying that one or 2 good players is going to win us a cup, but its a start. Its a path in the right direction at least.

I think the Canadiens have a good supporting cast right now, all we need is a couple of great players and you'd have the same thing Lemieux had when he won cups in Pittsburgh....according to what you just finished saying.
like I said before, it didnt help out the la kings to recruit players when they had marcel dionne... a guy who ended up as the 3rd best scorer of all time when his career was all said and done.

I dont buy your argument.

Another example: Mario and jagr were together because the pens had high draft picks... not because one player was recruited from another team to play with the other.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 07:35 AM
JackieChan

Come on, George Stromboulo-f'in-poulos??

(I repeat, )

(Just to make sure, once again , I referencing to Michel Beaudry's stupid bashing of Kostopoulos).

Did anyone catch the Habs centennial special on CBC, hosted by Strombo? He did a great job, he definitely understands all of the tradition and what the team has meant for Quebecers since the start.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote