HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

tambellini trying to move up to top 7

Old
05-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
tambellini trying to move up to top 7

every GM would like to move up in the draft, but few have so clearly indicated where they are trying to go. Oiler GM Tambellini was on the radio last night and said that the talent drops off at 7 and he is trying to get into the top 7.

The Oilers have the 10th pick so

a) who in the top 7 looks like they may trade down ?

b) what do the oilers have to give up to move up 3-5 spots?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Thrashers pick is available, well waddell said he would move it for the right package.

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:42 AM
ugotmybeef*

probably ask for Sam Gagner.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:48 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
I would say Colorado might listen for something built around one of Edmonton's puck moving D, but I don't think it's worth it from Colorado's perspective.

I don't see any other needs Edmonton could fill with any of the other teams in the top 7. Plus, I'll guess they won't be the only team trying to trade up.

And if I were a betting man I'd say the Oilers really want MPS.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:52 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
probably ask for Sam Gagner.
10+ Gagner for the Thrashers pick?

I think not

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:54 AM
seanlinden

What about Penner? He's a lot better than he played in Edmonton. Maybe Penner to the thrashers to move up.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:57 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
10+ Gagner for the Thrashers pick?

I think not
NYI was asking for 2 2nd round picks to move just 2 spots for Schenn, settled for 2 and 3 depending on NYI choice. You'll asking to move 6 spots, don't expect it to be for junk players.

Old
05-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Seachd

Quote:
NYI was asking for 2 2nd round picks to move just 2 spots for Schenn, settled for 2 and 3 depending on NYI choice. You'll asking to move 6 spots, don't expect it to be for junk players.
There's quite a difference between and 2nd and a 3rd and Sam Gagner, no matter many spots in the top 10 you're moving up.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:07 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
There's quite a difference between and 2nd and a 3rd and Sam Gagner, no matter many spots in the top 10 you're moving up.
Tampa asking for Schenn, Kaberle and 7 to move to 2nd overall, it's not as far fetched as you think.

Old
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Tampa asking for Schenn, Kaberle and 7 to move to 2nd overall, it's not as far fetched as you think.
Ok, but even Waddell isn't that clueless, I'd imagine.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:41 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
every GM would like to move up in the draft, but few have so clearly indicated where they are trying to go. Oiler GM Tambellini was on the radio last night and said that the talent drops off at 7 and he is trying to get into the top 7.

The Oilers have the 10th pick so

a) who in the top 7 looks like they may trade down ?

b) what do the oilers have to give up to move up 3-5 spots?
I don't think many inside the top 7 are going to move out unless there's some significant overpayment in terms of a young roster player coming back. I mean, NYI, Tampa and Colorado all seem like they are locks to pick where they are currently (or at worst move down within the top 7-8) and they need those top 3 picks as much as anyone. Most GM's realize that there is a talent drop off around 7 so I think they'll keep that in mind when moving down.

Atlanta could use some help now, so if the Oilers are interested in dealing some of their young roster players that may not fit into the long term plans, but could fit into Atlantas then I can see something happening there.

I guess LA could move down if the Oilers provided them with scoring wingers (I think that's there most pressing need). Again, kind of the same situation that Atlanta is in but more along the lines of LA needing to start to push forward with the youth they have then continue to float at the bottom. The GM's have already made moves with each other at the deadline so maybe there's some good ties there.

Phoenix, I don't even know what they'll do considering the state of their team so I'll just say they'll likely stay where they are.

Toronto I don't see moving out of the top 7. I think Burke is really intent on drafting a quality talent in this draft and if he moves anywhere it'll be up. If for some reason Burke really likes someone like Jared Cowen and knows he'll fall out of the top 7 then I can see him moving out and possibly picking up an extra draft pick or two along the way.

So after that long winded response I think LA and Atlanta are the best targets if the Oilers want to move up. Small chance with Toronto but I think the Oilers would have to move to like 8th spot in order to make a move with them to get into the top 7, and if that's the case it may just make more sense to make the one move up to 4th or 5th spot. I don't know, that's just how I see it.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Spoke

So what do fans of Phoenix / Atlanta / LA think it'll take to get their pick?

Oilers 10th + what?

A roster player a top end prospect and a 3rd? or a 2nd?

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:43 AM
ginner classic

So the top 7 are?

Tavares
Hedman
Duschene
Kane
Schenn
MSP
Cowen

what about OEL? I'd say it drops off after 8.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Kencaid

Quote:
problem with that type of analysis is your only looking at what Suppliers (the pick owners) and asking for. Asking price and selling price may end up being the same thing, in fact as many people know asking price is usally well over the top of what would be realistically expected, and Tampa knows that. Hence you get that trade, which is a top pairing puck moving d-man, and essentially a top 5 first round pick to move up 5 spots. Most people from a leafs POV wouldnt do this for obvious reasons.

Even though the asking price is a little high, I do feel its a great starting point.

There is a huge drop off after the Leafs #7 pick, so you would expect an asking price of probly a second+mid-lower level prospoect, or a top end prospect (not as high as blue chip, but you get what i mean), or a good young-current player to move up those 3 spots imo.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
So what do fans of Phoenix / Atlanta / LA think it'll take to get their pick?

Oilers 10th + what?

A roster player a top end prospect and a 3rd? or a 2nd?
O'Sullivan and 5th overall for the 10th overall....then again I like O'Sullivan.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:51 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
So the top 7 are?

Tavares
Hedman
Duschene
Kane
Schenn
MSP
Cowen

Well that's the thing it depends on how other GM's value the prospects. I think last season Erik Karlsson was extremely high on some GM's list, and not so high on others.

Some may have OEL in their top 5, and some may have him as a 2nd rounder (just hypothetical).

If Tambellni can find a GM who values say... a David Runblad as a top 5 talent in the draft then he'll have a lot easier time trying to make a move into the top 7.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
What about Penner? He's a lot better than he played in Edmonton. Maybe Penner to the thrashers to move up.
Please tell me you're joking. Dustin Penner and the 10th pick might get you the 20th pick overall if you're lucky.

I've said this in other threads - you typically see picks traded within a "tier". This year, you've got the top tier (Tavares/Hedman), the next set (Duschene, Kane, Schenn, MSP, Cowen), and then a drop-off. It's extremely rare to see a team drop out of a given tier. Even though the Isle moved back twice last year, they didn't feel like they were getting a lesser prospect (and still could have selected Hodgson).

The only way the Oilers move into the top 10 would be to move a guy like Gagne or Gilbert. I think that either of those guys might work from a team like ATL (or both with something significant coming back).

Maybe something like: Gagne & Gilbert for ATL's 1st & ? (something decent - not a stiff or a suspect)

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Mr Sakich

thinking about this on the way to work

1) tampa needs an upgrade to defence and possibly salary going back. The oilers have a top 3 of Souray, Visnovsky, and Gilbert. Each would be the #1 dman on Tampa so there is a possibility of a deal there. The oilers may be able to take some contracts back.

2) Colorado may have a rookie GM ( Roy ) who might be in the win now mode. Who the heck knows what he will do so that pick may be up for grabs if he thinks an Oiler can help his team.

3) Atlanta may be interested in young proven talent like Gagner or Cogliano so a deal might be made.

4) pheonix needs to be near the cap floor so they are looking for guys signed to cheap contracts. The people in the two organizations are close friends.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Please tell me you're joking. Dustin Penner and the 10th pick might get you the 20th pick overall if you're lucky.

I've said this in other threads - you typically see picks traded within a "tier". This year, you've got the top tier (Tavares/Hedman), the next set (Duschene, Kane, Schenn, MSP, Cowen), and then a drop-off. It's extremely rare to see a team drop out of a given tier. Even though the Isle moved back twice last year, they didn't feel like they were getting a lesser prospect (and still could have selected Hodgson).

The only way the Oilers move into the top 10 would be to move a guy like Gagne or Gilbert. I think that either of those guys might work from a team like ATL (or both with something significant coming back).

Maybe something like: Gagne & Gilbert for ATL's 1st & ? (something decent - not a stiff or a suspect)
Seems like a decent offer to me. Maybe Atlanta could offer Valabik and/or Esposito and the 1st. I don't know how Edmonton looks at it.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:02 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post

Actually, you're wrong. There's no sense in trading within tiers because you're giving up quality to get the same kind of player. Nobody in the top 3 would have incentive to move around because you're guaranteed one of Duchene, Tavares and Hedman. Nobody in the top 7 would have a strong incentive to move around because again, you're guaranteed one of Kane, MPS, Schenn or Cowen.

The Isles new that last year's significant talent drop off occured at #6 with Filatov & Schenn. Then you had Wilson & Boedker who could've gone either way. After that you had another drop off in Bailey, Hodgson, Beach & Myers as a decently big tier. The Isles knew they were dropping talent, but their organizational depth SUCKED.

Moving a guy like Gagne or Gilbert problably isn't worth it to the Oilers. I'm also not sure that Penner is as bad a contract as everyone makes it out to be.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:03 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:

But we are not talking about drafting 1st or 2nd overall..

Thrashers are at 4 and Sam Gagner is worth the 4th overall pick alone--without inclueding the 10th overall. Gagner got of to a slow start---but he picked it up in the second half of the season.

Gagner has all the skills to be a real good player and I think he will explode under quinn

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:03 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I've been saying for a while that the Kings may trade down. 10 seems like a reasonable drop off.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Why don't the Oilers just stand pat and take a guy like Schroeder? He seems to be getting the Parise like shaft in his draft year.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
So the difference between moving up 2 to 6 spots is the difference between 2 2nd rounders and Sam Gagner?

Quote:
And that pick is for Tavares or Hedman, something Atlanta can't offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
So the top 7 are?

Tavares
Hedman
Duschene
Kane
Schenn
MSP
Cowen

Kulikov
OEL
Schroeder

I'd say it drops off after 10, personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
Seems like a decent offer to me. Maybe Atlanta could offer Valabik and/or Esposito and the 1st. I don't know how Edmonton looks at it.
Yeah no. Gagner isn't moving for a pick.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:20 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

I think the top 4 will be too far for a trade-up to be worth while from an Edmonton point of view. They'd just have to give up far too much to get there. So that takes out NYI, TBL, COL, and ATL. Even if one of those teams trades out of their pick down into the 5-7 range, to trade down into the 10th spot from there, they'd probably be looking at a big return to make it worth it.

So that really just leaves LA, PHX, and TOR. Burke is going to do everything in his power to get into the top 2, so I can't see him wanting to trade down, and if he does trade up, the team picking in that spot falls into what I was talking about earlier.

So LA and PHX are probably the two most likely teams to target for a trade into the top 7. I guess if the Lecavalier rumors are true and the Kings give up the 5th OV in a package for Vinny, we could include Tamba Bay as a target for the 5th pick. I think even LA are a longshot to trade down, especially since it means trading down into a lower tier of available prospects. 5 spots might not be much later in the draft, but it's a huge step up/down when you're talking about moving within the top 10.

That pretty much leaves the Coyotes. What's the feel in Phoenix regarding this pick? Is it pretty much a lock that they'll go with the best player available, or could they move it to either get some more picks, or improve their NHL roster? My guess is that all depends on who's controlling the team on draft day.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote