HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate comparision

Old
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Wingsrule

vCash: 500
Skate comparision

I have been skating in Baur Supreme 6000 for awhile and I am looking for a newer skate.

I can't find much info on the Nike Bauer Supreme 70 Hockey Skates. The other ones I have looked at are the Baur one55 and one 75. Quite a bit in difference in $$ and curious how far apart these skates are from each other really.

I am 40 yrs old and skate twice a week and some tournaments.

Most likely won't spend the $399 on one75, so I guess my question is how close are the other 2 to each other and how far are they from the one75?

Wingsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the one75s are(were) top of the line skates. they are revamped one90s. the other ones are midrange skates. they are both pretty far off the one75s

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:57 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

The one 70s are the old second line skates, and the one 75s are an improved one 90, the top skate from that generation. The one 55 is a third line skate in the recent line, so it's comparable to the one 70.

The 55 will be a deeper fit then the 70 or the 75, which have the same fit, it matches the one 95 fit.

The one75 is a composite boot, the 70 is 'techmesh' which is a fiber reinforced plastic, the 55 is a nylon boot, which would be similar to the 70. The composite would offer a lighter weight and better protection.

The thing with those skates is is that there is a much bigger difference between them and the second line skate, the one75 then there is between the top 2 skates.

So, do what you want. And if you don't fit the 75 or the 70, you go with the 55 since the 95 is way out of your budget.

The supreme line really can screw you over with fits and price points... I would advise going and trying on other lines of skates, since the fits have changed since your 6000s. You might find a much better option for you.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsrule View Post
I have been skating in Baur Supreme 6000 for awhile and I am looking for a newer skate.

I can't find much info on the Nike Bauer Supreme 70 Hockey Skates. The other ones I have looked at are the Baur one55 and one 75. Quite a bit in difference in $$ and curious how far apart these skates are from each other really.

I am 40 yrs old and skate twice a week and some tournaments.

Most likely won't spend the $399 on one75, so I guess my question is how close are the other 2 to each other and how far are they from the one75?
I am about your age and play about the same amount during the summer time, I play more in the winter though.

Anyway I went and followed a link left in here by a poster to a website that sells closeout hockey gear. I bought a $300 skate from 2002 for $99. I really do not need to keep up with the Jones' and buy a $400-$600 top of the line 2009-10 model skate.

I would not feel comfortable paying $300 for the economy line new composite skate either because these skates these days have problems quite honestly with durability.

The more expensive ones will serve you well though but even those will not last as long as the older skate designs we are used to. Remember the old CCM Tacks or Bauer Supreme 3000 skates from the 80s? They lasted me 10 years before needing to be replaced. I replaced the blade and holders before the skates needed to be replaced.

I'm not sold on the medium priced skates these days. One guy on the team has the Reebok RBK5 pump skate and he had heel problems with them. The better quality ones do not do that and are in fact better.

So I guess what I am saying is if you want a pair of today's skates spend the extra cash on them or else you will just get upset. I went with closeouts after "shopping" around the stores here. I bought an old skate I already own and have already approved of for myself. I may even go back and buy another pair of the same exact OLD skates.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Wingsrule

It looks like I will be picking up some one75's then. My wife had already told me to pick them up for Father's Day, but I am a cheapskate by nature and always looking for bargins. I don't have an issue with the money if it going to be the best one for me

Wingsrule is offline   Reply With Quote