HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Russian media: Habs Offer Contract & Captaincy To Kovalev. Koivu no longer in plans

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2009, 11:22 AM
C77

vCash: 500
lol this can't be true...it's preposterous

Old
05-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
While I don't disagree with your main point (no need to even discuss this ridiculous ideology), Chris Clark is the Caps captain, and he is from USA.
Oh crap, thought it was Ovechkin. That said, IMO Ovechkin is going to be captain of that team soon enough.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:31 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
don't get me wrong... I'm no fan of the Habs - especially after all the insults we took this season...

but I also find it completely ignorant - not to mention racist - to suggest that a player isn't as good as another because of where they come from... talk like that seriously pisses me off!!! the poster I was replying to has made a lot of such posts over on the Canucks board, and it's spilling out here now.

I would hope that there aren't many people around that still have such stereotypes - especially after seeing what many would agree is the most successful franchise in the league made up of 70% European players, led by a Euro captain, and 8 of their top 9 players and half their defense all European!!

I instead choose to credit these guys for what they are - good hockey players, not Euro hockey players!! And Koivu is the same IMO - although admittedly he's well past his prime and no doubt age has caught up on him (even though he's not that old, but again that cancer must have taken some productive years out of his life).

Bottom line is that he should be respected for the player AND person he was... the problems Montreal has had aren't due to him being captain, and even suggesting as much, IMO, is a slap to the face of a great individual who deserves so much more respect from the organization and the fans.

Nothing wrong with a player seeing the end of their days with a team... happens to all players eventually... but I'd hope that he'd be remembered for the great things he brought to not only the Habs but the game of hockey, especially his truly inspirational comeback... and not for being a Euro captain that couldn't make it in Montreal!
I think what you may mean is your not a fan of Habs fans.

The players on the ice had little to do with the whirlwind of insults reigned down on Vancouver by a limited selection of Montreal fans.

I for one am a very big fan of Koivu, I felt sorry for him last year for all he had to endure, I suspect it ate his heart out.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:32 AM
caley

I'm amazed everyone's ignoring the other interesting/mind-blowing facet of this article

Quote:
Sovietsky also reports that the Canadiens offered defenceman Mike Komisarek a multi-year contract worth $4 million per season, but the pending unrestricted free agent is holding out for $6 million per season.
$6 million per season, Mike? Really?!?

Old
05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Dick Whitman

Koivu is welcome here in Ottawa if this report is true, which I highly doubt.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:42 AM
eddy

Habs deny reports
http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...7-1577151.html

Old
05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm amazed everyone's ignoring the other interesting/mind-blowing facet of this article

$6 million per season, Mike? Really?!?
I'm also going to go on a limb and say no... he did not ask for 6M (as that would ruin any chance to negotiate with other teams), but rather said he'd wait it out and see his options come 1st of July.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Yeah, the Wings and Caps are such hurting franchises for having Euro captains
The Caps don't have a Euro captain.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
It was the last month of the season when the Habs were in bombing. That's my definition of "down the stretch". Can anyone tell me when a key player was asked not to play or travel with the team?

Maybe I'm wrong in remembering Gainey being quoted as saying that Kovelev needs to decide if he still wants to play hockey?
It was the middle of February, not the last month of the season.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:55 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The Caps don't have a Euro captain.
no but Boston does... doesn't seem to hurt them much... or did it

Old
05-27-2009, 12:19 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
We are also going to let go of Koivu and have Plekanec, the girly man...as number 1 center.
Or how about clearing a spot for someone Gainey is targeting as his new # 1 center...perhaps Lecavalier...hmmm

Old
05-27-2009, 12:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

The Habs shoot down the rumor, so no need to keep this crap open.

Closed Thread