HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Öhlund leaving Canucks

Old
05-27-2009, 11:38 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Öhlund leaving Canucks

After 11 seasons, Öhlund wants a new challenge!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle5239390.ab

Who signs Öhlund during the summer?

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
PoolChamp

vCash: 500
the Rangers @ 7.5 mil per.

PoolChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
After 11 seasons, Öhlund wants a new challenge!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle5239390.ab

Who signs Öhlund during the summer?
Brian Burke.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Hopefully Montreal. Over the years of hating the Canucks he wa sone player I always liked, and after Markov Montreal really lacks a puckmoving dman, which is what sank them in the playoffs. Some support in that department would be great.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:43 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho87 View Post
Brian Burke.
I could definitely see him going to Toronto...

given his earlier comments, I don't see him going to a team like Detroit... he said he wants to play a big role on whatever team he's on, so don't expect him to take a paycut to play on a top team.

Toronto seems very likely, given the Burke/Nonis connections... They could very easily move Kaberle and/or Kubina for solid returns and then sign Ohlund (or maybe make offer to a guy like JBo as well) to replace them on the blueline... gives Toronto some added assets for a couple of good dmen, and gives them replacements via FA.

as much as I hate to say it, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Ohlund and the Sedins in TO next season.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
God
Free Citizen

Nothing we didn't already know...

But I hope that he does well, wherever he goes. Greatest Canuck defenseman of all time. He just lost a step this year, and we need to re-vamp our defense a little. I remember the time when my minor hockey team played during the intermission of a Canucks/Blackhawks game, and Ohlund and Greg Hawgood came into our dressing room and signed stuff for us. I'm gonna miss him

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoodKiwi

What do you think he is going to get on the market? A 4 year deal at around 5m or more?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Hopefully Montreal. Over the years of hating the Canucks he wa sone player I always liked, and after Markov Montreal really lacks a puckmoving dman, which is what sank them in the playoffs. Some support in that department would be great.
Ohlund isn't a puck-moving dman... one of the reasons why he's lost a spot on the Canucks blueline... he's basically become the #5 guy in Vancouver.

He is not the same dman he used to be... very solid dman, that can play a defensive role for his team, solid on the PK, and can even help on the PP when needed, but he's not a puckmover, and his mobility - especially his lateral movement - has become the biggest liabilities in his game now.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Wouldn't exactly say ohlund is the greatest puck mover at this point in his career.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He'll be this summer's Wade Redden. I really hope that if the Coyotes actually do run into some money, that they are wise enough to steer clear of this one.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
What do you think he is going to get on the market? A 4 year deal at around 5m or more?
my guess is around $4mill/yr... I think that would be worth it for Ohlund if the team has enough cap space.

At $5mill+, he will quickly become a whipping boy for whatever team signs him... he isn't as good as he was 3-4 years ago (when he was one of the top 20 dmen in the league)... he's a solid 2nd pairing guy now.

Old
PoolChamp

I think whoever signs him will be severly disapointed. He is nowhere near the player he was, like Redden.

PoolChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
davemess

He is just the kind of guy that Carolina should be looking at to come in and anchor that group they have.

Dont see it happening though.

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:59 AM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

He will be overpaid. probably get close to 5M, definitely 4M. He is a veteren guy that can provide leadership but he has declined and someone will be dissappointed. If he had no name attached to him and he just had this same season, he would likely clock in at around 2.5M or so.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
The Pucks

I suspect he will sign a 2 year deal, not because somebody wont offer him a longer one, but because he doesnt seem like he wants to commit for to much longer, I suspect a couple of seasons and he wouldnt mind going home.

My biggest dissapointment with Ohlund this season was his lack of mobility, with his limited vision due to that accident early in his career, the lack of mobility really seemed to show.

Ohlund has been a great Canucks, a lifer to this point, its sad to see him go, but in the new cap reality, its a forgone conclusion.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
FruityPants3*

Huge Ohlund fan, but unfortunately he's going to get completely overpaid and then regularly trashed by that fanbase.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Huge Ohlund fan, but unfortunately he's going to get completely overpaid and then regularly trashed by that fanbase.
Perhaps the perfect mentor for Hedman in TB.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:32 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
My educated guess.

He signs with Toronto to tutor Luke Schenn. Probably a 2-3 year deal worth around 4 million per season.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
sedinfan3322

go to burkie, ohlie.....

sad to see him leave van, but it'd be nice to be able to watch him every saturday night...

go moose!!!

sedinfan3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Frenzy1

It may well be St. Louis who brings him on board.

While Toronto makes sense, I think St. Louis would be a better destination - especially if Brewer isn't able to make it back. He would be an asset on the PP and provide a veteran leader.

Plus, St. Louis will likely be a better team then Toronto for the next few years as they have already completed their rebuild and the team is stocked. However, if 5 million is what it takes to sign him, then I don't see the Blues doing so.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:10 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Perhaps the perfect mentor for Hedman in TB.
I hope for Ohlund's sake he doesn't waste away the last few years of his career with a non-contender. He is definitely someone I could see taking a market discount for a shot at the cup.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buck View Post
My educated guess.

He signs with Toronto to tutor Luke Schenn. Probably a 2-3 year deal worth around 4 million per season.
My prediction is he will get a Hamrlik like 4 year $22 million deal, and probably more.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 03:09 PM
ginner classic

4 to 4.5. Columbus, Toronto, St Louis, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Montreal......there could be a very long list of teams interested. I hope he gets a chance at a cup. It'd be great to see him hoist some hardware. Still a very capable second pairing d-man and probably will be for the next three years. He's f-ing hockey smart.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I'd take a chance on him if I'm the Habs GM.

I mean sure he isn't the best puck moving defenseman but he's gotta be better then the rest of Montreal's D-Corp after Markov.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Roo

It will only happen if another defender gets moved. Toronto as too much defencemen as it is.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote