HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Öhlund leaving Canucks

Old
05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
SedinFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
It will only happen if another defender gets moved. Toronto as too much defencemen as it is.
There's a difference between quantity and quality. Toronto has the quantity part down, but not the quality.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buck View Post
There's a difference between quantity and quality. Toronto has the quantity part down, but not the quality.
Pretty sure he knows that.
I think he means that if the leafs can't trade their big guys on defence then it's pretty much useless to sign Ohlund. I personally wouldn't want him on Toronto as I was not impressed with him. I wouldn't like him to mentor Schenn either lol.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Juice*

is it possible for toronto to over pay for more defencemen?????
kaberle
kubina
finger
paying a lot of money for mediocre talent there.....

I know people will say kaberle is a good deal and he does put up decent points but he is in his 30s and played in 70 playoff games in over 10 years.....

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:05 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
kaberle
kubina
finger

I know people will say kaberle is a good deal and he does put up decent points but he is in his 30s and played in 70 playoff games in over 10 years.....
what does that have to do with whether a dman is overpaid or not?

he's been on some crappy teams for a lot of those years... that might explain his 70 games through that time - which isn't even that bad, considering he's been on the Leafs his whole career.

There's no way anyone can argue that Kaberle is overpaid... his contract is solid for a player of his caliber... if anything his contract actually improves his overall value as an asset.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
kaberle
kubina
finger

I don't even think it's that bad.
Kaberle is having a off year, Kubina put up decent numbers and finger made a case for what he's worth on the defensive side.
Besides I still think Toronto doesn't overpay as much as the Flames, Oilers and Rangers.

Old
05-27-2009, 06:38 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
Kaberle is having a off year
Pretty sure his year is over

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Perhaps the perfect mentor for Hedman in TB.

Öhlund wants a new challenge???????....Ohlund say Hello to The New York Islanders and your new defensive partner Vic Hedman!

I have been saying for some Time on the Isles board That Ohlund would be a perfect mentor for Hedman as well

Well we will see at the draft what shakes out with Hedman.....Then UFA market in July......But what could be more of a Challenge then The Ice Losers? LOL

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Red

Not a surprise and I don't think Vancouver wanted him back.

He'd be a great pickup for a young team who needed a veteran to be a steady presence on the team. He's no longer a top 3 defenseman on a good team IMO and I think he'd have huge problems with the speed in the east.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Alot of Ohlund fans here. But you will be very dissapointed once signing him

Ohlund has become really slow and that is a very major concern. He gets beat easily. Ohlund is not the old ohlund.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Pretty sure his year is over
Oh no I didn't use past tense, call the police.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Theon
Fear the Beard

I think he will get Roszival-type money and contract.

Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Alot of Ohlund fans here. But you will be very dissapointed once signing him

Ohlund has become really slow and that is a very major concern. He gets beat easily. Ohlund is not the old ohlund.
Wee bit of an overstatement, no? You're describing a #6-7 guy, while Ohlund is still very capable in a second-pairing role. Having said that, he'll most likely be overpaid come July 1.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:28 PM
BeaverSports

Perhaps Dallas' replacement for Norstrom?

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:31 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess View Post
He is just the kind of guy that Carolina should be looking at to come in and anchor that group they have.

Dont see it happening though.
We could use a lot of guys but unfortunately, unless we let Ruutu, Babchuk and Cole go, we don't have that kind of money. Our internal salary cap might rise next season, but I expect the Canes to go for guys like Oduya, who are more cap friendly.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Rangers08wedabest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
the Rangers @ 7.5 mil per.
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahah

Rangers08wedabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:36 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Wee bit of an overstatement, no? You're describing a #6-7 guy, while Ohlund is still very capable in a second-pairing role. Having said that, he'll most likely be overpaid come July 1.
The Ohlund I watched in the playoffs was a 3rd pairing guy.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
The Ohlund I watched in the playoffs was a 3rd pairing guy.
So...a 10 game sample size?

Old
05-28-2009, 01:34 AM
Peter Griffin

Ohlund was lit up on the goal Pat Kane scored, but other then that he wasn't nearly as bad as many make him out to be. He's still a fairly solid top 4 blueliner, the problem for the Canucks though is that he isn't mobile enough and with Salo and Mitchell not being the most fleet of foot, and Bieksa too for that matter really, there really isn't a spot for him on this team anymore a the price he'll likely command. He can still be an asset to many teams out there, he just really doesn't fill a role on the Canucks at this point, they need to replace him with a more mobile, puck mover.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

And just a further comment on the "he was a third pairing guy in the playoffs," I refer to this excellent analysis by MS on the Canucks board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
He *was* a stud in these playoffs. Go check the numbers and count the number of key goals he was on for relative to the icetime he logged.

Honestly, the idiocy in this thread makes my head hurt. It's like everyone has turned into and addle-brained Pauser.

If someone says, 'well, he's losing his footspeed a bit and committing long-term could burn us if he declines further', sure, that's a reasonable viewpoint. But to say he stunk in these playoffs is pure, unadulterated rubbish from people who clearly don't watch the games beyond obvious plays.

He looked terrible on *one* goal. As several players did in this series. It happens. Other than that, he was one of our best players.

Again, of the 17 most important Chicago goals in this series, he was on for one of them. And that was on a 5-on-3.

While the rest of the team crumbled in the 2nd/3rd periods of this series, Ohlund was logging 24 minutes/game and the Hawks simply weren't scoring goals when he was on the ice in key situations. The few goals he was on for were early in games or times when it really didn't matter.

He played 22-23 minutes/game for this club this season and was a +14. In a UFA market where Jeff Finger gets $4 million, are people really trying to claim that Ohlund is worth $2.5 million, whether we keep him or not?
Does that honestly sound like a #6-7 guy?

Old
05-28-2009, 01:56 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
So...a 10 game sample size?
He was slow but it wasnt as much of a factor in the regular season, in the playoffs other teams played off his lack of speed.

I stand by my assertion, Ohlund has really lost any speed he had. The vision loss in his right eye really became a problem with his reaction time decreasing and slowness afoot.

Chicago did a great job of magnifying this.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Go Habs Go

can anybody translate the article?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:02 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
And just a further comment on the "he was a third pairing guy in the playoffs," I refer to this excellent analysis by MS on the Canucks board:

Does that honestly sound like a #6-7 guy?
Say what you say, claim what you claim, in my opinion Ohlund has lost allot over the past year. I would love to see him retire as a Canuck, he has been a great player, but its time for him to move on.

Someone earlier made a great comment, some teams fans will be excited to sign him this summer, then in 6 or 8 months they will realize he is being overpaid and then will turn on him. It will be sad to see.

Old
05-28-2009, 08:05 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Ohlund was lit up on the goal Pat Kane scored, but other then that he wasn't nearly as bad as many make him out to be. He's still a fairly solid top 4 blueliner, the problem for the Canucks though is that he isn't mobile enough and with Salo and Mitchell not being the most fleet of foot, and Bieksa too for that matter really, there really isn't a spot for him on this team anymore a the price he'll likely command. He can still be an asset to many teams out there, he just really doesn't fill a role on the Canucks at this point, they need to replace him with a more mobile, puck mover.
After being treated to Marek Malik during last season's defensive carousel here in Tampa, Ohlund (declining play or not) could not possibly make the Lightning's defense any worse. I'm sure the Lightning could do worse in selecting a mentor.

Would Ohlund even consider the challenge of making Hockeywood Bay competitive? If he wants to realistically compete for a Cup in the next two seasons, probably not. But if he wants to play an integral role in the Lightning's return to respectability, Lightning brass might be willing to negotiate a solid, short-term, bonus-laden deal. Say 2 years @ $3 million per plus bonuses.

In other years, I'd be more confident he'd find a better deal and he very well might, but any pricier and the Lightning would have to look elsewhere.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 05-28-2009 at 08:11 AM.
nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 08:09 AM
BringBackStevens

Ohlund would be a great fit for the Flyers if they can move some salary. Do Canuck fans think he will command less than say 4 million per year?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Ohlund would be a great fit for the Flyers if they can move some salary. Do Canuck fans think he will command less than say 4 million per year?
I think that's about fair for Ohlund... but then again, I'm not throwing him under a bus like some other fans have... I agree with MS's feedback on him, he was probably the team's best defender in the playoffs (as he always has been for this franchise), all things considered, and aside for the one Kane play, didn't look bad at all in the playoffs... and keep in mind that one bad play can happen to anyone (ie. Keith, who's a great dman, looking like a pylon on Kesler's goal late in the season).

Having said that, I think some team will throw big money at him... one thing that fans usually ignore in their valuations of a player is experience, and there are plenty of teams that have thrown money at players because of the experience they bring...

I think that Ohlund can get a $5mill/yr offer from some team... it'll be overpayment for him, and I don't doubt that fans will eventually turn on him at that salary, but I think on the open market, considering his reputation overall, he'll get that kind of deal.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote