HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heatley to Colorado

Old
05-30-2009, 09:51 AM
singabba kowatix

vCash: 500
Heatley to Colorado

Would Colorado be interested in Heatley for Wolski, Kevin Shattenkirk, and the 3rd overall? Looking at that it may be way too much value being given up for Colorado and I may be overrating Heatley, but I thought that the Avs could really use a new superstar now that Sakic is on the decline, and many people seem to be quick to forget that Heatley put up two back-to-back 50 goal seasons not to long ago. Anyways I just want to get some feed back on what the values would have to be.
Thanks to those who respond.

singabba kowatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Crosberry87

I would think Col would rather have Wolski, Shattenkirk, and Duchenne than one 28 year old.

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:01 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Heatley is coming to LA.. Bryan Murray will call his brother pretty soon and congratulate him on acquiring one of the top snipers in the game today..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:06 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
I would think Col would rather have Wolski, Shattenkirk, and Duchenne than one 28 year old.
Exactly. Colorado has high hopes for all of those three players.

The hope is that Duchene will take over for Sakic in a few years as the top center and have Stastny on the second line. Shattenkirk is the first real defensive prospect that the Avalanche has drafted in the last few years. There are high hopes for him in the organization.

The Avs still haven't given up on Wolski, and think he can become a top line talent if needed. However with him I could see him being dealt for a winger or goalie if the right deal comes along.

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Aerolanche

Not even close. I wouldn't trade the pick alone for Heatley. The Avs aren't in a position where they need a push to be over the top, they pretty much need a complete rebuild. Trading three key pieces, including their top defensive prospect and a draft pick that could end up being as good or better than Heatley in a few years would just be detrimental to the franchise.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if PL tried something like this and then hides by hiring someone else to take the fall.

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:29 AM
tgarrett29

Heatley has value ... perhaps not this much, but this wouldn't make sense from an Avs POV as he wouldn't be the missing piece that turns them from a solid team into a serious Stanley Cup contender. 10 years ago, I could see a trade along these lines going down. In fact, I think we did when the Avs got Theo Fleury.

tgarrett29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:35 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
Not even close. I wouldn't trade the pick alone for Heatley. The Avs aren't in a position where they need a push to be over the top, they pretty much need a complete rebuild. Trading three key pieces, including their top defensive prospect and a draft pick that could end up being as good or better than Heatley in a few years would just be detrimental to the franchise.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if PL tried something like this and then hides by hiring someone else to take the fall.

The NHL entry draft has been going on for just over 40 years now, leaving you with 40+ examples of 3rd overall drafted players to choose from.

Name 5 that are/were better than Heatley.

You might want to recalculate your odds of getting a player "as good or better than Heatley".

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Heatley is coming to LA.. Bryan Murray will call his brother pretty soon and congratulate him on acquiring one of the top snipers in the game today..
You want every guy don't you!!!??!?!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:54 AM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

The NHL entry draft has been going on for just over 40 years now, leaving you with 40+ examples of 3rd overall drafted players to choose from.

Name 5 that are/were better than Heatley.

You might want to recalculate your odds of getting a player "as good or better than Heatley".
Well, I can understand where you're coming from as a Sens fan, but there have been some very good 3rd overall picks including Toews, Gaborik, H. Sedin, Bouwmeester, Barker, Niedermayer, and so forth. Not all forwards but fairly good talents.

Moreover his argument is a reasonable one, though not necessarily validating whether the Avs would/wouldn't accept a trade for Heatley with just the 3rd overall if it was on the hypothetical table: Duchene would be a much lower initial cost, has some years away from UFA status (which doesn't rule out RFA offer sheets / raises, etc.), and could be franchise caliber. Let's face it, rookies make people excited. He's super talented, so hopefully he can rise up to his potential instead of fizzling out.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:58 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post

The guy in charge doesn't seem someone like that will hold for a rebuild. He was visibly upset in the play of this season, and looked like it won't happen again.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:11 AM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
What would a possible trade be? I know the Sens did have a trade lined up for Heatley earlier this year and the belief was it was LAK but he wasn't approached with it. So let s say he would accept it, what would the value be from the Kings end?

Last edited by LGSens: 05-30-2009 at 11:20 AM.
LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:12 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Budaj Bugatti View Post
Well, I can understand where you're coming from as a Sens fan, but there have been some very good 3rd overall picks including Toews, Gaborik, H. Sedin, Bouwmeester, Barker, Niedermayer, and so forth. Not all forwards but fairly good talents.
This isn't as a Sens fan... this is as a fan who has probably been to hockeydb well over 200 times specifically looking at drafts and I'm just absolutely floored by how much prospects/draft picks are overrated at this site.

If I wanted to respond to Aerolanche in a similar fashion, I could have said that 3rd overall player will be bust whose out of hockey in 10 years... and history says that I'd probably have more of a chance of being right than him saying he'll be better than Heatley.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
The guy in charge doesn't seem someone like that will hold for a rebuild. He was visibly upset in the play of this season, and looked like it won't happen again.
Except we are in a salary cap era (one of the reasons the "guy in charge" stepped down) and the Avs cannot afford to take on Heatley's salary with so much money tied into other mediocre players. Heatley isn't the key to turning the Avs around. Unless it's for a franchise goaltender, trading a high pick, solid top six forward and your best defensive prospect isn't a smart move for a rebuilding team.

Even the owner came out and said the team is in need of some rebuilding.

Old
05-30-2009, 11:14 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by singabba kowatix View Post
Would Colorado be interested in Heatley for Wolski, Kevin Shattenkirk, and the 3rd overall? Looking at that it may be way too much value being given up for Colorado and I may be overrating Heatley, but I thought that the Avs could really use a new superstar now that Sakic is on the decline, and many people seem to be quick to forget that Heatley put up two back-to-back 50 goal seasons not to long ago. Anyways I just want to get some feed back on what the values would have to be.
I see Heatley's in this trade. HE'S NOT LEAVING OTTAWA!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:16 AM
HSF

why would he WANT to go play for the Avs is my question? so he can waste his prime on a rebuilding team? atleast Ottawa has a chance to win soon, if make the right moves.

The avs are pretty much starting to build again around Stastny

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:28 AM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
This isn't as a Sens fan... this is as a fan who has probably been to hockeydb well over 200 times specifically looking at drafts and I'm just absolutely floored by how much prospects/draft picks are overrated at this site.

If I wanted to respond to Aerolanche in a similar fashion, I could have said that 3rd overall player will be bust whose out of hockey in 10 years... and history says that I'd probably have more of a chance of being right than him saying he'll be better than Heatley.
Aerolanche said the possibility of being as good or better as. There was the risk implicitly acknowledged. He might be seen as THE franchise player, where there might be dissent with Heatley fulfilling the role. Will he better? Of course nobody knows now; otherwise the stock market wouldn't have so many losers. That's with any young player.

But maybe it's a silly point to discuss. Why would Ottawa want to trade Heatley? Avs would want an overpayment for the 3rd overall, but if the former is not happening, it's pointless to argue whether the Avs would "have" to accept a Heatley for 3rd overall trade or not.

Old
05-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Duponttime*

I'll tell ya right now that I would not be surprised to see Tampa draft Duchesne second and then trade Vinny for 2 young defenseman that can step in and play now in the NHL. Or possibly to a team like Boston for package of Rask, Bergeron and a 1st rounder.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
What's so silly about that? We're rebuilding. Frankly, two or all three components could be a major part of the process.

Old
05-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know why you're shaking your head. Bias presumably.

Colorado gets nailed in that deal given it's circumstances. Duchene is looking like being a no.1 centre, Shattenkirk shows all the tools to be a 1/2 pairing blueliner and Wolski is at worst a top 6 forward but has the potential to be better.

Heatley is great now, no doubt. But why would Colorado need him now? They stink and will do for a few more seasons, I fear.

When they have bounced back which I am sure they will, you revisit this trade in 3/4 years time and I'm pretty sure it will look very lopsided in favour of the Sens. Remember, you have to think about more than just who wins it today to evaluate a trade.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 12:00 PM
HSF

http://sensbuzz.blogspot.com/2009/05...d-in-dany.html

here is asomeone stating a rumour about a Avs- Sens deal

but the deal he proposes is quite bad for the Sens IMO

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Ruiner058

This trade would essentially doom the avalanche for the next 5 yrs... from the perspective of a rebuilding team, the op's proposal is absurd. At the very least, Shatternick should be removed because the Avs don't have anything that can replace and aren't getting anything that can replace him. His value is also magnified by the fact that we need to get youth (cheap) into the defensive group because of the amount of absurd veteran contracts we currently have. Mix that w/ the amount of money that would be tied up between smyth, stastny, hejduk, and heatley... we need to sign a legit number one goalie and to do that we need cap space. Whether Pierre okay's this or not, as a proposal, I def. think the Avs say no to Heatley for that.

Ruiner058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
http://sensbuzz.blogspot.com/2009/05...d-in-dany.html

here is asomeone stating a rumour about a Avs- Sens deal

but the deal he proposes is quite bad for the Sens IMO
Awful, I agree.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Colorado says no more for salary reasons then anything else.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 02:30 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
If Pierre "Senile Dementia" Lacroix screws up this rebuild his legacy with the Avs will be known for his autocratic reign of stupid staff and player movements. He will have been responsible for the Avs having a terrible GM (who put us in cap hell), the Avs having one of the worst coaching staffs in the league, and a slew of terrible player moves (including already trading Ballard, Gilbert and Morris away for virtually nothing, save for a really lucky selection in Paul Stastny.)

This is why most Avs fans are going to be on the edge of our seats, our current GM is senile and all the candidates left are his lackies. We are screwed.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 03:28 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by singabba kowatix View Post
**** no. I wouldn't be interested in Heatley at all unless it was straight up for Wolski.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote