HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhnov Visits!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 07:27 AM
Mr.Brownov*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Mikhnov Visits!!

http://www.slam.ca/Slam040323/nhl_edm3-sun.html
Just hope he decides to stay!

Old
03-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Allan

While we're at it:
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...24/393388.html
http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/...4-d9f890fe1777

Old
03-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Sounds very promising Allan!

Old
03-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Allan

"I want to play here, but I must skate more," smiled Mikhnov, who speaks very limited English. "I can't play in Russia and play over here ..."
"Yeah, I very much want to come here, but I need to train," said the newlywed, who calls Kyiv home.

w00t!

Old
03-24-2004, 11:09 AM
speeds

No time for fooling around here, get him signed, offer him a good signing bonus to make up for the fact that he'll likely be in the AHL next season at least (with the lockout, maybe wouldn't make the team anyways).

Old
03-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
"I want to play here, but I must skate more," smiled Mikhnov, who speaks very limited English. "I can't play in Russia and play over here ..."
"Yeah, I very much want to come here, but I need to train," said the newlywed, who calls Kyiv home.

w00t!
Man, I really hope he comes over next year..

Old
03-24-2004, 11:12 AM
kyle

With the likelihood that rookie contracts will be furthered revamped under the new CBA, Edmonton should give him a hefty signing bonus; it's only fair. They are in a tough spot and he is not a guy they should risk losing. Give him at least what they think he would make in Russia as a signing bonus to compensate for the 1-way contract if there is no next season.

That being said. I think if Mihknov is signed, Ulanov should be re-signed.

Old
03-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Allan

It sounded like Ulanov was one of the guys telling him how good it is here.

I can't see why he won't be signed. He sounds like he really wants to be here, but can't be too openly enthusiastic for fear of killing the negotiations. Or maybe I'm just blindly optimistic. :p

Old
03-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Bohologo

If this team is indeed in the black, before any possible playoff revenue is counted, I hope that some small part of the profits can be used to ink a contract with this guy. You've got to pay for potential, and the way the Russian federation is getting with their players, the Oilers need to seize this opportunity.

Old
03-24-2004, 11:50 AM
SerbianEagle

Could they sign hi now, as in immediately? If they can, could he play a game this year?

I think we'll know where we stand as far as playoffs are concerned before the Vancouver game, and if they could sign him could he possibly play. Just to see what he's like?

Old
03-24-2004, 11:57 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Could they sign hi now, as in immediately? If they can, could he play a game this year?

I think we'll know where we stand as far as playoffs are concerned before the Vancouver game, and if they could sign him could he possibly play. Just to see what he's like?
he could technically play in either the NHL or AHL (though he couldn't play AHL playoffs unless someone on the clear day roster was injured, I belive? anyone clarify how the clear day roster works?), as he is Oilers property, but as a practical matter I'm sure he wants to play for Russia, and if he backed out last minute it might risk his long term hopes of playing for Russia?

Which is strange to begin with, assuming that, as I had thought, he only played for Ukraine in junior events, not Russia.

Old
03-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
It sounded like Ulanov was one of the guys telling him how good it is here.

I can't see why he won't be signed. He sounds like he really wants to be here, but can't be too openly enthusiastic for fear of killing the negotiations. Or maybe I'm just blindly optimistic. :p
Maybe he talked to Comrie and heard we are communist?

Old
03-24-2004, 12:25 PM
oilers24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Maybe he talked to Comrie and heard we are communist?
Little Mikey strikes again!!

Old
03-24-2004, 12:36 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I hope they sign him. Offer him a two way deal with an 800,000 or 1.0 million signing bonus.

We really need to keep this guy, he sounds awesome

Old
03-24-2004, 12:47 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

What could be a better first impression of the Oilers for Mikhnov than watching an Oilers-Stars game.
After watching the fans tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if he's here to stay!

Old
03-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
he could technically play in either the NHL or AHL (though he couldn't play AHL playoffs unless someone on the clear day roster was injured, I belive? anyone clarify how the clear day roster works?), as he is Oilers property, but as a practical matter I'm sure he wants to play for Russia, and if he backed out last minute it might risk his long term hopes of playing for Russia?

Which is strange to begin with, assuming that, as I had thought, he only played for Ukraine in junior events, not Russia.
The clear day roster can only be added to if two players are removed from it, either from injury or call-ups by the NHL team.

Old
03-24-2004, 01:18 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
the real problem in signing Mikhnov for me is not the money or the CBA but that Russia-IHHF agreement that also runs out this year. Do they wait for them to renegotiate or pull a deal before the current one ends.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
SUCCESS!

I had an exclusive interview with Alexei mikhnov this mornign at practice witht he help of Alexei Semenov as interpreter and translator.

Mikhnov (or Mickey to coin a nickname) speaks next to no English so I was able to arrange to have Semi do the hard work for me.

Got some good stuff and it'll be an HF exclusive... NOBODY else has talked to him nearly as much as I did today and no one else was around. Unless the oilers set something up over the next few days where they have a press conference with him, I might have the only conversation with him!

Old
03-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
SUCCESS!

I had an exclusive interview with Alexei mikhnov this mornign at practice witht he help of Alexei Semenov as interpreter and translator.

Mikhnov (or Mickey to coin a nickname) speaks next to no English so I was able to arrange to have Semi do the hard work for me.

Got some good stuff and it'll be an HF exclusive... NOBODY else has talked to him nearly as much as I did today and no one else was around. Unless the oilers set something up over the next few days where they have a press conference with him, I might have the only conversation with him!
Wooo good job Guy!!!!

Old
03-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Quote:
SUCCESS!

Old
03-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
I had an exclusive interview with Alexei
Guy, you rule.

Old
03-24-2004, 05:03 PM
speeds

Quote:
Awesome stuff Guy, can't wait to read it.

One quick question, your gut feeling, will he be signed when he heads back to Russia?

I'd wait for the article, but I'm not sure you'd have that in there anyways, so thought I might as well ask here

Old
03-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
One quick question, your gut feeling, will he be signed when he heads back to Russia?
My gut says that the Oilers will make a really big attempt to do so... but fail.

Here's why. I don't think he wants to come and play in the AHL next year when he could stay in Russia and make a lot more money. However, if there is a signing bonus involved... if he likes what he sees here this week (especially tonight - ROCK the house if you're going!), he might be pursuaded. He did say it's his dream to play in the NHL so maybe there's room.

Not this year though as he's excited about the World Championship next month.

"Expect the unexpected" some GM around these parts always says... (and I'm talking to him again tonight too!)

Old
03-24-2004, 05:18 PM
speeds

well, when you talk to Lowe, let him know that 6'5", 225 lb forwards with soft hands don't grow on trees, and if he was willing to give a midget like Comrie a nice signing bonus, then there's no harm in doing the same with Mikhnov

Old
03-24-2004, 05:18 PM
J.Money

Russian Super League Cause for Concern...

Bear me out, but this could be a case where Russian prospects might not be draftable by the Oilers anymore.

I think its somewhat apparent that Lowe has prefered Euro's and Americans to drafting Canadians. (Last draft he did take Pouliot however)

Part of the reason was you could keep Euro's rights indefinetly and seems you can hold on to Americans while they are in college without a contract.

Whereas junior players in Canada tend to be more expensive and you have to sign them sooner.

With the new super league wanting to keep Russian players. This might be a case where the Oilers have to by pass a Russian prospect they like for fear of not being able to sign them.

I do figure the very best will still come here as the money is better, but it doesn't look like the Oilers will be drafting in the top 10 anytime soon and they may not want to pay the bonus money it would take to sign these guys.

Just food for thought.

Closed Thread