HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhnov Visits!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 04:21 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
agreed J.Money, all the more reason to do what it takes to get Mikhnov signed now.

If he's given a decent signing bonus (most first rounders probably get a 600-700 K dsigning bonus anyways, maybe paid over 2 or 3 years, just an out and out guess is that, maybe too high) I don't see why he wouldn't come over for next year, even though he'd only be making 60K officially in the AHL. And that's if he doesn't crack the NHL, assuming there's a season.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:22 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
which is why I agree with speeds in signing him now, preferably before that IIHF-Russia agreement.

I wonder how much he's "concerned" about that factor. I know its too late to ask but that would have been a question.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
My gut says that the Oilers will make a really big attempt to do so... but fail.

Here's why. I don't think he wants to come and play in the AHL next year when he could stay in Russia and make a lot more money. However, if there is a signing bonus involved... if he likes what he sees here this week (especially tonight - ROCK the house if you're going!), he might be pursuaded. He did say it's his dream to play in the NHL so maybe there's room.

Not this year though as he's excited about the World Championship next month.

"Expect the unexpected" some GM around these parts always says... (and I'm talking to him again tonight too!)
I don't know Guy - he is a relatively high first round pick so the bonus money has to be there. This was probably a big reason why he never came over. The Oilers probably didn't see anything that merited giving him bonus dollars until now. The bonus would also more than make up for the lack of a big league salary next year (assuming he starts off in the AHL). I think it's time to move on one way or another with this prospect - sign him or deal him to someone who can/will because he does have some value.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:42 PM
USC Trojans
New Era

just a quick question Guy, how big did Mikhnov look? In comparison to the other hockey players you've seen up close...and maybe compared to Semenov since you've seen them both at the same time.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:56 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy , you rock. I look forward to your article

Old
03-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
just a quick question Guy, how big did Mikhnov look? In comparison to the other hockey players you've seen up close...and maybe compared to Semenov since you've seen them both at the same time.
Not quite as tall as Semenov and I didn't think his upper body was all that thick but he's not skinny that's for sure. He has pretty solid legs. I was standing chatting with Jason Gregor and Mark Spector and one of them called his legs "trunks". Not muscular but as you would expect a 6'5 225lb guy to have.

He's still young though, a bit of a baby face actually.

Old
03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
USC Trojans
New Era

Quote:
Not quite as tall as Semenov and I didn't think his upper body was all that thick but he's not skinny that's for sure. He has pretty solid legs. I was standing chatting with Jason Gregor and Mark Spector and one of them called his legs "trunks". Not muscular but as you would expect a 6'5 225lb guy to have.

He's still young though, a bit of a baby face actually.
Maybe he has low center of gravity, which is always good...wow, that got me so excited about the article. thanks.

Old
03-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Maybe he has low center of gravity, which is always good...wow, that got me so excited about the article. thanks.

Let's not overblow the article... keep in mind the answers come from Mikhnov through Semenov and it's all pretty broken English as it is, plus the answers are not what I would call earthshaking or anything.

Some good stuff but it's not like I'm going to break the news that he's signed or anything.

Old
03-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Let's not overblow the article... keep in mind the answers come from Mikhnov through Semenov and it's all pretty broken English as it is, plus the answers are not what I would call earthshaking or anything.

Some good stuff but it's not like I'm going to break the news that he's signed or anything.
Believe me Guy, after 4 years if you got an answer to "how tall are you?" we'll love it.

Old
03-24-2004, 06:41 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
If the oilers were sper smart what they would do is get a handful of fans jersies with his name and # on them and when everyone is going ape **** they can pan to those people on the jumbotron when they know mikhnov is looking. Its a bit corny but for a young kid that kind of thing can be overwhelming and tilt the scales in the Oilers favor. Does EDM have a large Ukrainian community? I know that there are large pockets in Saskatchewan and Manitoba... but not sure about EDM... if so that can't hurt.

all in all this is some really good news, Guy, you obviously saw him at practice, how did he look? was he skating by himself with the people mentioned in the article or was he skating with the team? What exactly was he doing in all of his borrowed gear on such well "conditioned" ice?

Old
03-24-2004, 06:46 PM
oilersrock

edmonton has a huge ukrainian community over a quarter million! he'll be welcomed with open arms.

Old
03-24-2004, 06:52 PM
BlacktapeLeftside
HFBoards Sponsor

I hoping they take avantage ofd current agreement & sign him with 500,000 bonus to a lengthy contract. RRs would put him to use right now

Old
03-24-2004, 07:16 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
I hoping they take avantage ofd current agreement & sign him with 500,000 bonus to a lengthy contract. RRs would put him to use right now
I think that agreement ended last summer, with Zherdev being the last player signed under it.

Old
03-24-2004, 07:19 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
SUCCESS!

I had an exclusive interview with Alexei mikhnov this mornign at practice witht he help of Alexei Semenov as interpreter and translator.

Mikhnov (or Mickey to coin a nickname) speaks next to no English so I was able to arrange to have Semi do the hard work for me.

Got some good stuff and it'll be an HF exclusive... NOBODY else has talked to him nearly as much as I did today and no one else was around. Unless the oilers set something up over the next few days where they have a press conference with him, I might have the only conversation with him!
Good goin', Guy.

Old
03-24-2004, 08:25 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i thought it lasted till this summer Doomsday?

Old
03-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Malmo_Mike

Quote:
SUCCESS!

I had an exclusive interview with Alexei mikhnov this mornign at practice witht he help of Alexei Semenov as interpreter and translator.

Mikhnov (or Mickey to coin a nickname) speaks next to no English so I was able to arrange to have Semi do the hard work for me.

Got some good stuff and it'll be an HF exclusive... NOBODY else has talked to him nearly as much as I did today and no one else was around. Unless the oilers set something up over the next few days where they have a press conference with him, I might have the only conversation with him!
BOOOO....oh...I mean Yay. Sorry, had my game face for Dallas on. Nice work Guy

Old
03-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
And the Russian website where I get all the stats even has his weight at 230 lbs. Either way, he's a monster.

Old
03-24-2004, 08:49 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmo_Mike
BOOOO....oh...I mean Yay. Sorry, had my game face for Dallas on. Nice work Guy
ride my board in the street, i'm bored and i'm ill
ride my board so quick ride my board down a hill

gotta love ill mitch although thats his only good cut

Old
03-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
i thought it lasted till this summer Doomsday?
You're right, it finishes at the "end of this season." Looking at the wording, I'm guessing that means it finishes in June perhaps. So there still would be time to sign him after the World Championships.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:21 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Mikhnov did not practice with the team on Wednesday but will on Thursday according to Semenov. I won't be there though, sorry.

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 03-25-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old
03-25-2004, 03:03 AM
Allan

Quote:
So you're letting someone else break that news? You're such a nice guy.

Old
03-25-2004, 11:42 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
I was pretty sure, from reading other reports, that Mikkey (?) was looking forward to the World Championships, so I doubt somehow he would play any games for the Roadrunners this year anyway (plus there's that clear-day roster thingy).

Still, good to see him here in Edmonton - hope something gets worked out.

Bart

Closed Thread