HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who wears the A next year?

Old
05-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Who wears the A next year?

With Mattias Ohlund most likely leaving, who will get the perma-A on their jersey next year? Ryan Kesler and Willie Mitchell presently hold the other two.

I would think the likely candidates are Alex Burrows or Kevin Bieksa. Burrows has been an on-ice heart and soul leader for the team, and Bieksa has been mentioned in the past by Gillis as a guy with great leadership qualities.

Thoughts?

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:05 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Give it to Burrows. He's all heart, all the time.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Kid_Roll

Scott Niedermayer.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
With Mattias Ohlund most likely leaving, who will get the perma-A on their jersey next year? Ryan Kesler and Willie Mitchell presently hold the other two.

I would think the likely candidates are Alex Burrows or Kevin Bieksa. Burrows has been an on-ice heart and soul leader for the team, and Bieksa has been mentioned in the past by Gillis as a guy with great leadership qualities.

Thoughts?

~Canucklehead~
You usually give a third A to a younger player or someone who has worked their way up from the farm.

That way, it bridges the gap between the vets and younger players as well as makes the transition for players coming from the farm easier. Also, you could make an argument for a European player as well.

I would say Bieksa or Salo.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:21 AM
SedinFan*

Salo's not around enough during the season/playoffs to be worthy.

Old
05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
NuxFan09

My best guess would be Burrows. Heart and soul and leadership are the qualities I want to see from a Captain or Assistant Captain. Burrows has got that.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:46 AM
PRNuck

I've actually been hoping they acquire a veteran with some leadership skills, I think it might be lacking in the dressing room. I love Burrows, but I don't see him as a guy you want wearing a letter. I think Bieksa is someone a lot of the team listens too, but I don't know if that's a good thing, he strikes me as slightly retarded, lol. If Ryan Johnson sees as much as time as he did in the playoffs it might make sense for him to wear one, but I think signing someone like Todd Marchant, who has Stanley Cup experience and is a veteran leader, would fill a big hole that a lot of people don't realize is there.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:12 PM
ttam103

One of the sedin's so people can tell them apart

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
If we can get Scott Niedermayer I would consider giving him the C. Take that added pressure off of Luongo and give it to a guy who's a proven leader and a proven winner as a stop-gap for either Cody Hodgson or Ryan Kesler (depending on timing).

The A's next year should be Kesler and Mitchell, although if Luongo remains captain and we don't get someone like Niedermayer then I'd give it to Burrows.

05-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Burrows.

His teammates love him. The coach loves him. All the fans love him.

He sets such an incredible example for the rest of his team.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

how about Edler?

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
how about Edler?
Why him?

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Placebo Effect

I say Johnson personally, he's well spoken and gives his heart and soul night in and night out. Don't care if he's a 4th liner. If not him then Bieksa.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick The Rypper View Post
I say Johnson personally, he's well spoken and gives his heart and soul night in and night out. Don't care if he's a 4th liner. If not him then Bieksa.
I just dont think Bieksa is a right choice for A, he is just not the leadership player. Edler on the other hand is the player we want, he has progressed so much after only two years of nhl hockey.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I just dont think Bieksa is a right choice for A, he is just not the leadership player. Edler on the other hand is the player we want, he has progressed so much after only two years of nhl hockey.
Again, why Edler? In what way has he shown leadership qualities?

Honestly he'd be near the bottom of my list for candidates...not because he's a cancer or anything, but because he's young, inexperienced, and really hasn't shown to have the qualities that you would expect someone with an A.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Again, why Edler? In what way has he shown leadership qualities?

Honestly he'd be near the bottom of my list for candidates...not because he's a cancer or anything, but because he's young, inexperienced, and really hasn't shown to have the qualities that you would expect someone with an A.
Yeah, I agree not to mention the goal he let in in game 6. Maybe in a few years when he's got more under his belt but, right now he's still not groomed enough to be an Assistant Captain, I'd give it to Burrows, definitely him.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:37 PM
SedinFan*

Edler wouldn't be a good fit. Neither would stripping the 'C' off Luongo.

Old
05-28-2009, 01:41 PM
PRNuck

Don't forget, the letters don't always reflect what's going on in the dressing room. It's not minor hockey where it's just a popularity contest. The point of the letters is that those are the players who the refs will talk to when sorting out penalties, or explaining crappy calls to coaches. I bet there's not a ref in the league who wants to talk to Alex Burrows, he's on the divers watchlist and he's one of the best **** talkers/disturbers. If a melee breaks out and the captains are there pleading for the other team to get the extra penalty, who do you think the ref is going to be more swayed by, Burrows, or a classy, cool headed Nick Lidstrom type. (Not saying we have a Lidstrom type, just the first example to pop in my head.)

Old
05-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Zorbane

ossi vaananen

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:45 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

there are only a few choices really to give the "A" to...

I can't see either the Sedins getting it, because you'd probably have to give to both of them... Edler is too young and doesn't really show anything that makes me think he's a leader on this team.... Johnson is a 4th liner, doesn't get a lot of icetime, and I doubt he has a longterm future on this team, with only 1 yr left... if you're going to give the "A" to a player that might be gone in a year, then give it to Sundin if he comes back...

the guys that are logical choices: Burrows, Bieksa, and Salo.

Salo is the best choice here IMO... he's a vet, gets lots of respect on the team and is a character guy... his injury history isn't really an issue IMO, as you just alternate the "A" to Burrows/Bieksa when he's out of the lineup (just like you'd see Henrik wear the "A" at times in the past when one of the regular assistant caps were out.

Don't see anyone else on this team that can wear a letter at this point.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if that "A" goes to a player that is currently not on this team... Gillis will be targeting a few UFAs, and whether it's JBo, or Gaborik, or someone we haven't even discussed yet, there's a good chance that the player he brings in will be a candidate for it.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Don't forget, the letters don't always reflect what's going on in the dressing room. It's not minor hockey where it's just a popularity contest. The point of the letters is that those are the players who the refs will talk to when sorting out penalties, or explaining crappy calls to coaches. I bet there's not a ref in the league who wants to talk to Alex Burrows, he's on the divers watchlist and he's one of the best **** talkers/disturbers. If a melee breaks out and the captains are there pleading for the other team to get the extra penalty, who do you think the ref is going to be more swayed by, Burrows, or a classy, cool headed Nick Lidstrom type. (Not saying we have a Lidstrom type, just the first example to pop in my head.)
wasn't Steve Ott an assistant captain in Dallas this past year?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:50 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
wasn't Steve Ott an assistant captain in Dallas this past year?
Oh gross was he? Haha there goes my theory. Or maybe that's why they were made of fail?

Old
05-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
So you are nominating Wellwood?

I hope and think it will be Salo. Quiet respected veteran to replace Ohlund.

Last edited by Wayne Maki: 05-29-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Pascha

Gotta give it to Juice, in my opinion.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:10 PM
rypper

Just throwing this out there... doesn't steve ott where an 'A' in dallas? ^^