HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best way to clean Roller hockey wheels and bearings

Old
05-28-2009, 12:11 PM
hckyfan0099

vCash: 500
Best way to clean Roller hockey wheels and bearings

My hockey wheels and bearings have gotten pretty dirty recently. Do you know any real good way to clean them?

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Huggy Bear*

Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
Q-tips and rubbing alcohol for the bearing shields, idk about the internals. Wheels you can soak in alcohol and wipe down probably.
Maybe a compressed air can will blast out dirt and sand too. Hope that helps, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyfan0099 View Post
My hockey wheels and bearings have gotten pretty dirty recently. Do you know any real good way to clean them?

Soaking them are good, but some bearings have "C" clips that hold a face plate on the side to expose the bearing. If you have this clip, I recommend that you get a "C" clip tool and pull the clip and face plate off and then squirt a gob of with Lithium grease in the bearing and close it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-based_grease

Hope this helps
Head coach

06-01-2009, 12:30 AM
FelixPotvin

Whatever you do do not try and use WD-40 to get your wheels moving better. A guy on my team tried it and the results were absolutely awful.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPotvin View Post
Whatever you do do not try and use WD-40 to get your wheels moving better. A guy on my team tried it and the results were absolutely awful.
That would make sense. WD does stand for "water displacement" -- the last thing you want to happen to bearings.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
MikeD

There is a bearing cleaning kit available. It is a container to drop your bearings into and roll on a counter top. You can make one yourself very easily. Pick up a BIG MOUTH pepsi product. It has the larger top opeing. Filled with mineral spirits(no, wont eat thru the plastic bottle) you just drop in your bearings, let soak for about 20 minutes. Lay the bottle on its side and then roll it back and forth for a bit. A second bottle with rubbing alcohol to rinse the bearings will allow for much faster dry time.

A can of compressed air works great as a final touch to blow stuff out of the bearings. Normally anything that makes it under the bearing cover will wash out while your rolling the mineral spirit filled bottle so if you dont have any compressed air, its no biggie.

Wheels can be cleaned with any mild detergent (dish soap) and a Q-tip. Just be sure to reinstall them correctly. Many have different radius on inside and outside. Logos typically are faced outward. Use care when reassembling axles and bearings. Many axles are just aluminum. When tightening them with the wrench be gentle. just snug up carefully so you do not strip the thread on the axle end. When extracting or installing be sure to place pressure on OUTSIDE LARGE RACE, not the center hub. That can damage or ruin a bearing, particularly if it is already well worn. Firm pressure to remove or install rather than hammering, of course.

WD40 isnt a bad product to use on bearings. The bad part is not wiping excess lubrication from the bearing or flushing from inside before adding lube. WD40 is a great penetrant and cleaner but doesnt provide the proper lubrication. With heat, it breaks down rapidly. Any of the skate lubes or #2 machine oil (sewing machine) used after cleaning with WD you shouldnt have any problems. Just be sure that you wipe all exess oils off and allow bearings to drain excess mineral spirits before lubing. Excess attracts dirt, dust and sand...You should see a small pin hole on one of the bearing covers. if not put a couple drops of lube at the edge of the cover and outside race, spin the bearing to draw the lube under the cover.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 06:42 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Soaking them are good, but some bearings have "C" clips that hold a face plate on the side to expose the bearing. If you have this clip, I recommend that you get a "C" clip tool and pull the clip and face plate off and then squirt a gob of with Lithium grease in the bearing and close it up.
I just stole a needle from my gf's sewing kit to pop the C clip out. Anything pointy works.

I usually take the face plates off, drop all the pieces in a jar filled with citrus cleaner (biodegradable) or alcohol, shake it to get the dirt out, spin them to make sure everything is out, rinse and dry them off with a hair dryer thoroughly, then lubricant/grease and pop em back on.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Skate Lube has always worked well for me.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:12 PM
roast

I used to do it was Gasoline in a plastic cup...back in the day...always worked well, although not recommended.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast View Post
I used to do it was Gasoline in a plastic cup...back in the day...always worked well, although not recommended.

x2

i used to pull the shields off, soak them in gasoline and use a brush to get all the old grease and grime out of the bearings. i'd dry and and clean them out further with q-tips then i'd repack the bearings with bearing grease for cars (i work a lot on cars so i have that stuff lying around). I'd put the shields back on them, spin the bearings using a drill to work the grease around then put them back in my skates and be as good as new. Whole process takes about an hour or so but now that i'm an adult and i make my own money and dont have to recycle my old stuff or rely on my parents to buy it for me i just go out and buy bearings instead of going through all that.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:35 PM
whitesox

See what you wanna do is throw a little raunch on the bearings, and then you'll be danglin benders and snipin tenders all day errday.

whitesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 03:37 PM
dannythekid

I use BSB Bearing Wash and BSB Bearing Lube and seems to clean them up real nicely.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:34 AM
f2racer

Do a search on Google, you'll find at least a dozen good links.

http://www.londonskaters.com/article...aintenance.htm

http://edsbearings.com/faqbearings.html

f2racer is offline   Reply With Quote