HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Farewell Nikolai Khabibulin

Old
05-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Farewell Nikolai Khabibulin

Just heard on ESPN 1000 that source in Hawks said that they don't plan to bring Nik back for next season. (Not a surprise of course)

You gave us some great moments as a Hawks goalie. Aside from the 06 season behind a horrendous team you were a good thing on a team that didn't have much good until last year. You almost carried us to the playoffs in 07-08 and this year you were the stabilizing force for a young team. Thanks for your great play vs the Flames in our 1st playoff series victory in 13 yrs.

I will miss you as I have always been a fan. May you continue to succeed into your twilight years.

Best Russian goalie to ever player in NHL! Good luck on getting win #300 next season.

------- This does deserve a thread seperate from other thread as I wont mention the name of another goalie----------

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Teemu

vCash: 500
Next year's gonna be rough on you, eh?

I'll give Bulin credit. We put him on waivers and then tried to ship him to Siberia--he had no reason to give a rat's ass about the Hawks the season.

I will not miss that contract, though.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

I remember when he signed here, I was pretty stoked that day. Especially since I was always a huge fan of Belfour and it was nice to see us finally bring in an all-world goalie. I watched Tampa play in the '04 playoffs alot and he stood on his head in the Eastern final series against Philly. It's too bad that by the time we got really good he's leaving now and also getting alot older. I think he'll go down on the list as another one of the Hawks premier goalies. We certainly would'nt have gotten as far this year without him.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:03 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I'm sad to see him go as well. The Bulin Wall always was and always will be a favorite of mine. Cap wise, it is a necessity for us to let him go. I wish him good luck to wherever he ends up. I could actually see him ending up back in Tampa, either there or Edmonton.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
I remember when he signed here, I was pretty stoked that day. Especially since I was always a huge fan of Belfour and it was nice to see us finally bring in an all-world goalie. I watched Tampa play in the '04 playoffs alot and he stood on his head in the Eastern final series against Philly. It's too bad that by the time we got really good he's leaving now and also getting alot older. I think he'll go down on the list as another one of the Hawks premier goalies. We certainly would'nt have gotten as far this year without him.
One good-not-great year makes him a premier goalie? I think he'll go down on the list as another one of the Hawks injured goalies.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
unplugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post

I was sickened when he signed with Chicago . No respect for a player who just won the Cup and sold his team out to the highest bidder for a few hundred k and another year instead of defending the Stanley Cup . This on top of Tallon blowing the largest contract in Chicago history on him {at the time } .
Saying that, this was by far his best year of the contract and himself or the 6.7 won't be missed by this fan . After the groin mends again , off to the KHL he signs , just a hunch ,as he proved he's all about the money .

unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Stuy

He was horrible all but one year. See ya. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

05-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Yeah, honestly, he has not really been that good for Chicago over the balance of his contract. He seems to have given a contract year bounce.

It's Huet's team now.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuy View Post
He was horrible all but one year. See ya. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.
Oh give me a break

He was horrible his 1st year here when he played on the worst team in Hawks modern history.

Just look at the stats of our backups his 1st 2 seasons here. If we didn't Have Khabibulin we would have had half as many wins.

He had 1 bad year, 2 good years and 1 real good year this past season. As the team improved he improved.

Cant fault Khabibulin for 05-06 and 06-07, Those were dreadful teams!

Old
05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Stuy

Bulin was also nothing special in the playoffs this year. Terrible Sv% and GGA.

Stuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Steve Larmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuy View Post
Bulin was also nothing special in the playoffs this year. Terrible Sv% and GGA.
He played well in the playoffs, Stuy. C'mon, you should know that you can't judge such a small sample of games like the playoffs were on numbers alone.

Anyway, good luck Khabi. I hope some team is dumb enough to give you a 3-year contract, wherein you only play well in the third year.

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:00 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Khabi played alright in the playoffs. He certainly didn't play any better then any halfway decent starter would have. Honestly he and Huet would've been interchangeable this post-season.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Khabi played alright in the playoffs. He certainly didn't play any better then any halfway decent starter would have. Honestly he and Huet would've been interchangeable this post-season.
I think this is exactly right. He played about what you would expect from a playoff caliber team, but didn't go anywhere beyond that.

Old
05-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Kostik20

Khabby's been my favorite netminder since I was a kid....back when he played in Phoenix and TB.....I was going nuts when the Hawks signed him...unfortunately injury caught up with him in his tenure with Chicago...if he was healthy for his contract here we would have had some good seasons....

I'm gonna miss him no doubt...hopefully he signs with a good team he can fit in with...just please not in our division...hell, not in our conference....

THANK YOU KHABIBULIN!!!

Kostik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:27 PM
hckyfan0099

Khabibulin's record with the Blackhawks...

W - L - OTL SV% GAA
90 -80 - 24 .904 2.79

Hardly stellar. He had one redeeming year this season but otherwise he was a very average goalie. He was definitely not worth the 6.75 mil a season (the highest paid goalie in the NHL). Goodbye Khabibulin.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
kingfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyfan0099 View Post
Khabibulin's record with the Blackhawks...

W - L - OTL SV% GAA
90 -80 - 24 .904 2.79

Hardly stellar. He had one redeeming year this season but otherwise he was a very average goalie. He was definitely not worth the 6.75 mil a season (the highest paid goalie in the NHL). Goodbye Khabibulin.
good thing hockey is played on the ice and not a stat sheet

you cant win with a goalie alone, you so soon forget what lackluster teammates were playing in front of him during the dark years.

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 07:56 PM
hckyfan0099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
good thing hockey is played on the ice and not a stat sheet

you cant win with a goalie alone, you so soon forget what lackluster teammates were playing in front of him during the dark years.
Look at his first 2 years with the team. We may have not had a good team but a .886 SV% is not going to win games. I dont care about the W-L as much as a GAA and SV%. Within those 2 years he had a .894 SV% and a 3.10 GAA. I dont care how bad our offense was, those stats are inexcusable for a $6.75 mil goalie.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

They WERE bad teams.. but he wasn't making them much better, either.

He picked it up last year, but I'd rather not resign him. Thanks for the playoff run, Khabibulin, best of luck wherever you end up in the future, but not on the Hawks.

Old
05-30-2009, 09:26 PM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

FWIW, reported on CSN's Sports Nite last night: Tallon is gonna work on trying to re-sign both Havlat and Khabibulin.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook View Post
FWIW, reported on CSN's Sports Nite last night: Tallon is gonna work on trying to re-sign both Havlat and Khabibulin.
If we could get Khabibulin to take a 2-3 yr deal for 2.5 mil a season it would be great. We would continue to have a great 1-2 and we would have a hell of a bargain chip next trade deadline!

Old
05-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Can't Khabi just retire from his decent career and leave Cristo as the sole #1?

lol actually this doesn't make ANY sense; Crawford has earned his time in the NHL, and Niemi might be pushing soon enough too, it's just not worth it.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Can't Khabi just retire from his decent career and leave Cristo as the sole #1?

lol actually this doesn't make ANY sense; Crawford has earned his time in the NHL, and Niemi might be pushing soon enough too, it's just not worth it.

Deja vu!

Those were exactly what I said when we signed Huet last year!

Old
05-31-2009, 05:11 AM
Kostik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook View Post
Havlat is no surprise...and Hopefully the Khabby rumor is true..this whole season my wish was to trade away Huet and resign Khabby...if he can stay healthy, he can put up good numbers, plus, he finally has a good team in front of him, unlike the last few seasons....Hopefully this is true...I'm not ready to part ways with khabby yet....

Kostik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:38 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:46 AM
lfchockey*

I really think we'll see a push to re-sign Khabby for a couple years and a reasonable contract... assuming that we can trade away Huet; even if it's for peanuts.

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote