HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Mike Green win the Norris?

View Poll Results: Will Mike Green win the Norris?
Yes 48 30.38%
No 110 69.62%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Bananas

vCash: 500
Will Mike Green win the Norris?

He is on an absolute tear and I think is definitely barging in to the Norris Trophy conversation. We've had some conversations in other threads on this topic, but I feel it's time for the "official" Caps fan discussion.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Probably not this year.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:02 PM
The Viking Fury

Not this year (if ever). I think you need a couple of years of being nominated to get a person;s name in the voters' heads.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

I will say...... No.
he wont win it.

do i think he should get consideration to win it?
i dont see why not.

He is leading or amongst the leaders in a whole range of recorded statistics, which could easily support a 'FOR Norris' argument.

There is more to it than that though. He would need to get that far ahead of anyone else in terms of goals and points, because of his exagerrated shortcomings that i feel its almost impossible for him to win it.

Chara is the frontrunner and deservedly so.

IF IF IF Green can keep this riot like pace going that hes had the last 6-7 games, who knows.

I would say he could win it, if he gets to 30 goals. Thats a big big ask but its a necessary requirement for HIM to be considered ahead of say Chara.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
txpd

No is the easy answer. If he keeps scoring at a rate anything like what he has the last 20 games, then he might create some pressure there. I think a 30 goal 90 pts season would have to win a defenseman the norris. I just dont think he can make it. 11 goals in 29 games.

Now...I do drool at the prospect of Green and Pronger as a d pair. That is scary.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
backs4mvp

He'll be a finalist.

If Green can manage 30 goals, ~75 points in 69 games, no other dman hits 65 points, and Chara tops out max at 45 points, then I think Green would become the favorite. You win the Norris by reputation, or by being noticed. Being the first dman to score 30 goals in 16 years, and the first dman to have over a point per game in 13 years, will get you noticed.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:34 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I don't think he will. Based on the recent media hype surrounding him, I think he's an easy second place, but I can't see him winning it this early in his career. I guess it will all depend on his final numbers, though.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Vi

No, I don't think so. It seems like he has too much to make up at this point since a lot of people were already declaring it Chara's year a month ago. I sure can see him making it close, though.

The fact that it is even a consideration, though... that's just amazing. I look forward to the day that the Caps take both the Hart and the Norris in the same season.

Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Finalist but not a winner.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Yes but only if he keeps goal scoring at his insane recent pace. A 30+ goal scorer in this era may get it for him, maybe 35 is the magic number. Scoring is down in the new NHL; heck at 5th in the league we average a paltry 3.25 per game. A jaw dropping high scoring defenseman may be exactly what the league will want in a Norris guy before too long. Chara must be loving life all but handed the Norris already from his play in other years, playing in front of Taylor on a good team. I would love for an upset in MG.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
KenAF

I voted no.

If Mike Green scores 30 goals, I think he'll finish 2nd in the voting. I don't think he gets first unless he scores 35. There's no way people could ignore that.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:06 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

F it.

I say he wins it....with a torrid pace the rest of the season...scoring 30+ goals and 75+ points and stealing votes from Chara since the NHL is wanting to go with the offense over defense angle.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Efactor

He didn't make the allstar team. Give me a list of Norris winners who didn't make the allsatr team.

Also he's a pretty good right wing and a half-ass defenseman. He will lead in defenseman goals again tho.

Efactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:58 PM
EroCaps

If he keeps scoring like he has the last 40 games he has as good a shot as any D.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:03 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
He didn't make the allstar team. Give me a list of Norris winners who didn't make the allsatr team.

Also he's a pretty good right wing and a half-ass defenseman. He will lead in defenseman goals again tho.
This comment brought to you by a guy with 53 posts who started the "GMGM should shake up this team" thread after we had the nerve to lose 3 straight games.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Devil Dancer

30 goals might do it. He's getting a lot of positive press right now, and sometimes that's all it takes for the Norris. Throw in a fresh round of media coverage as he gets to 30 and he might have the votes to pull it off.

Ultimately I think no, but it's certainly possible.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Of all the major awards, the Norris is the most Lifetime AchievementyTM

A player who has been a Titan in the game generally takes home this award, and it is exceptionally rare for a younger player to win it following a meteoric rise. Consider how long Chara has waited: He'll probably win his first Norris this season. That award will be not only for his play this year, but because he has been an elite NHL defenseman for almost a decade. To many voters, it is simply 'time' that Chara get recognition for his body of work. Sure, Chara is deserving on sheer merit this season, but he has also gone years without the recognition. Lifetime Achievement.

Green won't win it. He will likely place 2nd or 3rd, in a group that also probably includes Chara (winner) and Lidstrom or Boyle.

Yet what Green IS doing this year is laying the foundation to be among the frontrunners in future years. He'll be among the top four or five names that automatically occur to voters every year now. That's an important step for him. Winning the Norris is a gradual process. The slate isn't wiped clean each October. Maybe it should be, but it isn't.

I've been thinking that he's five years away, and still think that is a pretty fair estimate, but he could shave two or three years off of that wait period by improving slightly, and/or having Papa McPhee give him an elite shutdown partner for Christmas one of these days.

Green's pairing needs to tighten up defensively, and if his partner was able to do the heavy lifting in that regard, Green would probably be a legitimate Norris threat. He's not yet there, though, and he does not yet have a regular partner. His pairing still gives up bad goals from time to time. Even though Green produces more goals than his pairing gives up, those liabilities on the score sheet still matter, despite net positives to his plus/minus figures.

Green needs his Jeff Beukeboom, or his Joe Reekie, to use a recent Capitals historical analogy.

Last edited by Drake1588: 02-09-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Foy

I would argue that the Vezina is just as lifetime achievementy, especially after Jim Carey won it, it seemed to go a guy that had been around for a while.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
El Maestro

No, he's maybe the best offensive defenseman of the league but it's not enough to win the Norris.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:32 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

If he scores 30+ goals with a high +/-....he's winning the thing. Overall defensive ability and seniority be dammed.

Edit: Or not. Chara is the front runner...I'm just saying. If Green puts up major numbers...I can see him winning it.

Last edited by strungout: 02-09-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old
02-09-2009, 10:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djo89 View Post
No, he's maybe the best offensive defenseman of the league but it's not enough to win the Norris.
Its a matter of how much better. Isn't it? Its all a matter of degrees. If Green cools off and leads in scoring on defense, by a point or two, that is not a margin to make up for the difference in D zone impact that Chara has. Even with the 12 games missed.

Should he win in a walk by 10 to 15 pts with the 12 games missed, thats different.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:51 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
If he scores 30+ goals with a high +/-....he's winning the thing. Overall defensive ability and seniority be dammed.

Edit: Or not. Chara is the front runner...I'm just saying. If Green puts up major numbers...I can see him winning it.
I don't have much faith in the voters' analytical abilities. In the end I think it will come down to what is more impressive: leading dman scoring by XX points or winning the eastern conference by XX points. I think Green has a very good chance...especially if we creep up on Boston.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

I disagree. Goals numbering 20 versus 30 will not tip the scales. There is certainly a production tier at which defensive prowess simply doesn't matter, but it's on the Paul Coffey scale. If Green hits 80 points, it's not enough. He'd need to hit triple digits for his defense to be a non-factor this year.

It's notable that Coffey won just two Norris Trophies in the 80s, and a third in the mid-90s, largely because the defense and all-around game from Rod Langway, Chris Chelios and Ray Bourque was so much better during Coffey's peak offensive output. In Coffey's 1980s Norris seasons in 84-85 and 85-86, he posted numbers of 37-84-121 and 48-90-138. Barring thoroughly obscene production from someone in a given year, defense matters in Norris voting.

Voters, to me, have already decided on Chara. Hard to argue the selection.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I disagree. Goals numbering 20 versus 30 will not tip the scales. There is certainly a production tier at which defensive prowess simply doesn't matter, but it's on the Paul Coffey scale. If Green hits 80 points, it's not enough. He'd need to hit triple digits for his defense to be a non-factor this year.

It's notable that Coffey won just two Norris Trophies in the 80s, and a third in the mid-90s, largely because the defense and all-around game from Rod Langway, Chris Chelios and Ray Bourque was so much better during Coffey's peak offensive output. In Coffey's 1980s Norris seasons in 84-85 and 85-86, he posted numbers of 37-84-121 and 48-90-138. Barring thoroughly obscene production from someone in a given year, defense matters in Norris voting.

Voters, to me, have already decided on Chara. Hard to argue the selection.
Bah, that's likely true. But I think you're going to see quite a change in voting if Green keeps this up at this rate. He's changing things.

I don't think it's fair to compare numbers from those 80's teams with the numbers from today. Two different balls of wax when comparing talent pools and styles of play. I mean, over the past 5 years the threshold for leading defensmen in point has been, what, 80 by Lidstrom a few years back? If Green hits 80...with a +/- in the 30 range (which is the key)...I think he has a really good shot at winning the thing when all things considered.

We'll see. I think it'll be close.

Old
02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Souray44

I hope he wins it. He's putting up a sick season.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote