HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Moves Discussion Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Roccoman

vCash: 500
correct me if i am wrong, but didnt Mo already go to arbitration once? i was under the assumption that a player can elect arbitration only once...

Old
05-28-2009, 02:29 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Trade Pothier and Mo and bring up a kid. Use the ~4.5M on something useful on D.

Jurcina will likely get a raise. He's hard on the eyes and heart from time to time, but the puck gets into the net sometimes. When he hits and he shoots, he's decent.

If we are stuck with Nyls I want 3 RH defensement with hard shots. The one thing Nyls does well when he circles is he gets the Right Dman a lot of pucks. Whoever are Nyls' wings need to be a combo of respectable shooters to draw attention from the D, must attack the net for screens and rebounds from the D, and must be semi responsible defensively. Laich and Fehr come to mind.

AO-NB-Semin
Laich-Nyls-Clark
Flash-Steckel-Fehr
Bourque/Osala/callup-Gordon-Brads

Poti-Green
Erskine-FA/Trade RH Dman
Alzner-Jurcina
Sarge

JT
Varly

Once again not my ideal but what I want given the likely circumstances of Nyls and Theo wearing red.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:30 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
correct me if i am wrong, but didnt Mo already go to arbitration once? i was under the assumption that a player can elect arbitration only once...
There are 2 types of arbitration, player elected and club elected. A player can only be taken to arb. via club elected arb. once in his career.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:31 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'd only sign Jurcina to a 1 year deal and hope that Carlson beats him out either this year or next.

Also I'd prefer to upgrade the forwards that have net presence.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Trade Pothier
I don't think that dog will hunt, personally. He's in with the inflated contracts that are not going anywhere, if I'm betting. High salary and coming off a serious concussion. That makes him poison.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:35 PM
sk84fun_dc

Back to Schultz, he signed his contract in August of 2005 and was assigned back to the WHL/Calgary Hitmen for that season. His birthdate is Feb. 25, 1986. He has played 3 pro seasons that count towards the professional experience for arb. determination purposes: 06-07, 07-08 and 08-09; the only pro games he played in 05-06 were on an ATO with Hershey and it totaled 7 playoff games so he didn't earn a professional exp. season for that year. So based on my reading of 21.1 (a) he is not eligible for salary arb.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
There are 2 types of arbitration, player elected and club elected. A player can only be taken to arb. via club elected arb. once in his career.
ahh, thanks for clearing that up sk8.

regardless, ~2 million is alot for a player like Mo who has been inconsistent, brings zero offense, and rare physical play... Green needs a safety net, and Mo is not it.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Here's a notion... would the Caps and Sharks make interesting trade partners this summer? Both could be looking to swap some offensive parts.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:45 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Here's a notion... would the Caps and Sharks make interesting trade partners this summer? Both could be looking to swap some offensive parts.
Cheechoo and Clowe for Semin.

Sigh.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I was sort of wondering what the Tin Man could do with Fehr on his wing.

Old
05-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Roccoman

Marleau. /drool

Old
05-28-2009, 03:02 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ovie - Backstrom - Clark
Bourque - Marleau - Fehr
Laich - Steckel - Bradley
Flash - Gordo - A Gordon/AHL Call Ups
Nylander

Green - Alzner
Poti - Morrisonn
Jurcina/Pothier - Erksine

Old
05-28-2009, 03:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Ovie - Backstrom - Clark
Bourque - Marleau - Fehr
Nylander

Green - Alzner
Poti - Morrisonn
Semin for 1 year of Marleau? They best be taking Nylander too. And sending us Murray.

Old
05-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Ovie - Backstrom - Clark
Bourque - Marleau - Fehr
Nylander

Green - Alzner
Poti - Morrisonn
That's actually not that bad. I don't know how Flash would do on the 4th line, but that's a pretty good line-up.

Old
05-28-2009, 03:07 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Semin for 1 year of Marleau? They best be taking Nylander too. And sending us Murray.
I'm not saying I'd support it since I'd rather go for defense....but it's an interesting concept.

Old
05-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Semin, Morrisonn, Carlson for Thornton. Maybe add the Caps' first rounder, if needed.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Clark
Fleischmann - Thornton - Fehr/Laich
Bradley - Steckel - Laich/Fehr
Bourque - Gordon - Nylander
Aucoin

Green-Poti
Pothier-Erskine
Alzner-Jurcina
Godfrey/Lepisto for the seventh D

Varlamov
Theodore

Just spitballing. Salary is close, I think.

Old
05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Semin, Morrisonn, Carlson for Thornton. Maybe add the Caps' first rounder, if needed.

Aucoin

Green-Poti
Pothier-Erskine
Alzner-Jurcina
Godfrey/Lepisto for the seventh D

Varlamov
Theodore

Id probably do the deal if it was: Semin, Mo and Carlson/first rounder.

Semin, Mo, Carlson and a first is a little excessive though.

In two years a Backstrom, Thornton, baby Gus center trio would be quite formidable. I also saw signs of Joe coming in from the periphery this playoffs. The fight with Getzlaf was awesome, but he also went into some of the higher traffic areas between games 3-6.

Old
05-28-2009, 03:23 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:

Green-Poti
Pothier-Erskine
Alzner-Jurcina

Varlamov
Theodore

If we're spitballing trades involving #28, I've been passing the time on the trade board chatting about a 3-team deal involving Edmonton and Colorado that would have us moving Semin and dumping Clark's contract and getting back Milan Hejduk and Andrew Cogliano (+ $2.5m in cap space). Use the cap space plus a few bucks more to sign Knuble (at, say, his exact 08-09 salary), and suddenly the forward ranks look like so:

Ovie - Backstrom - Knuble
Flash - Cogliano - Hejduk
Bourque - Steckel - Laich
Brash - Gordo - Brads
Nylander

For $2.5-3m more than we currently have committed to 8 forwards, we can have those 13 forwards signed. All of 'em. And we'd have under $50m committed to 13 forwards, 2 goaleis, and 5 defense, meaning we have between $4.5-6.5m to play with to fill just two roster slots on D. All sorts of possibilities there.

I'm sure the return for Semin won't be popular, but I think that's a heck of a group of forwards, and I like the thought of being able to bring in an elite defensemen on top of all that.

Old
05-28-2009, 04:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
No. Thornton has a proven playoff monkey that goes with him whereever he plays. The Caps don't need that.

I think the Caps need a player closer to a Dale Hunter, a middle of the payroll playoff performer, than a top of the payroll player with poor playoff results like Thornton.

Old
05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I don't think that dog will hunt, personally. He's in with the inflated contracts that are not going anywhere, if I'm betting. High salary and coming off a serious concussion. That makes him poison.
I'm wondering how much the playoffs helped that posibility though. There are teams like Ottawa that are desperate for a puck mover. Look what they paid the Isles just to finally get someone.

Given their history Ottawa is one of my hopes for Pots. More realistic than Nyls and Theo imho.

Hope is all any of us have though.

Old
05-28-2009, 05:51 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Pothier had an ok showing in the playoffs. But watching him shoot the puck in the stands to avoid a hit still stands out in my aging mind. Maybe no one else saw that and maybe we can move him and sneak Carlson in there. Let Mo walk; stay in house for now. Gain experience evaluate the new guys and make a trade if the two additions to the lineup dont help. And getting rid of Leach has to help, right?

Poti Green
Alzner Jurcina
Sarge/Erskine Carlson

Old
05-28-2009, 06:00 PM
EroCaps

Semin in a package for one of San Jose's C would make an interesting trade, but there's no way I'd include Carlson; let alone Carlson and a 1st.

Thornton and Marleau have been mediocre at best in the crunch and the Caps are a team trying to take that next step.

There's also the fact that Sasha outproduced these two this year and is 4-5 years younger than the both.

The Caps would still need a defenseman or two and a solid wing

Old
05-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Ridley Simon

wow, i finally finished this novel of a thread. whew!

Ok, I think a lot of these ideas re trades/signings are cool. In fact, a lot are well thought out, and feasible.

That said, I dont believe any of them will happen. My guess is that we resign most of our own RFA's, and sit pat going into the season, with youth filling in at the beginning. The only UFA I see us signing is Brashear.

That would leave us with

Ovy-Backs-Semin
Fehr-Nylander-Clark
Laich-Steckel-Flash
Brashear-Gordon-Bradley.

Bourque and Giroux as extras.

Green-Morissonn
Poti-Alzner
Erskine-Pothier
Jurcina

Schultz?

Varly
Theo

We save some money with Feds, Kozzie, and Johnson going out. We lose money with Pothier and Alzner counting all year. I see us with a rough cap situation of 3m left over, or such (+/-)...assuming the cap stays static.

I don't think we will use that space before the season starts, unless something extraordinary presents itself. I would imagine the lessons learned from this years trade deadline will not be lost on the Ted/GMGM tandem.

We leave ourselves some space, and we will be able to "see" how the youth and defense progress (with better asst coaching?) for the first 30-40 games. By then, that 3M in space will have mushroomed to almost 6M in salaries for the half year, and will leave us with lots of options heading into the trade deadline...or sooner. If this years Pens have proven anything, its that diddling around for 40 or so games to see what your weaknesses are won't really hurt you, especially if you have very top end talent, as the Caps do.

In fact, not only do I expect this extraordinarily conservative approach, I applaud it. No need to fill all the barrells of the gun right off the bat, when we are so talented. Leave some ammo to the side for when we need it, and so that we can chose the right mix.

Heck, if anything, I think we will rid ourselves of a current D and F "starter" to get even cheaper going into the season. We cetainly have the depth of roster to do so.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yea Rids I have been wondering a lot if gmgm tries to copycat the pens by keeing enough cap space to make a few trades at the deadline.

Try to keep about 4 or 5 mil below cap, hope to remain in the 4 to 10 spot in the east, then go nuts at the deadline. And I don't mean trade the farm for all the names but one name and some god support ala guerin

Old
05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Yea Rids I have been wondering a lot if gmgm tries to copycat the pens by keeing enough cap space to make a few trades at the deadline.

Try to keep about 4 or 5 mil below cap, hope to remain in the 4 to 10 spot in the east, then go nuts at the deadline. And I don't mean trade the farm for all the names but one name and some god support ala guerin
It's not lost on me that the teams that were heads and shoulders above the rest for the first 40 games, the Bruins and Sharks, weren't even in the final 4.

Food for thought, for damn sure.

Closed Thread