HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Dixon article

Old
05-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Mtl6

vCash: 500
Ryan Dixon article

I think Habs summer plan couldn't be better explained then this. Bob Gainey should be patient and do exactly what that guys says, no mather what the fans say.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...offseason.html

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Magic33

I actually agree with most of that article. The situation sucks, but i think its reality. I would have no problem if this happened.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

For most people in here, they stopped reading at "They’ll also be looking for a new captain next fall."

Still his article is a little strange. The team is not in complete disarray, the team isn't that bad after all, the base of talent is there......but let Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev walk and sign Plekanec and Higgins....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 07:41 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

I agree with most of it. Koivu was my favorite player when I was younger. I've had his rookie card autographed on my desk for a decade. I think Kovalev is electrifying. Tanguay has such good passing skills it's awesome.

But I think the franchise needs a new direction. Your key players cant all be at the end of their careers. We need a young, elite talent. Seeing my team suck for a year would be worth it if they can get better therein after. And that article is spot on in a lot of things.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Miller Time

that's probably the best option for the team...

though i think tanguay would be worth re-signing IF he wants to be back, understands that he's not a 5M+ player anymore, and is willing to take a local discount... i'd even give him term in exchange...
5 years @ 19M (3.8 cap hit, front loaded 5-4-4-3-3).

the other thing is that with Koivu/Kovalev and even Lang, all of these guys are at an age where we'd be crazy to give them more than 2-3 year deals, unless they were willing to take something with a ridiculously low cap hit.
and even then, as he points out, none of them are "build your team around" type players, and without any of those types of players to "add" them to, handing out contracts worth more than 4M/season is pointless.

better to go with a young roster, take our lumps, draft high next year and wait for the shoe to drop for teams like NY, Chicago, Detroit, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Philly etc etc who will have to shed some quality players if/when the cap drops.

If it doesn't, well we still end up with huge cap space to throw at whatever available UFA's there are, and maybe our tough season gives us a draft pick in the top ten that we can combine with some of our young talent to move into the top 5 of the 2010 draft (assuming we aren't there on our own).

let the true rebuild begin...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
flappuck

I don't see why they shouldn't keep Tanguay.
He makes players around him better and is still in his prime.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Bretvincent

I dont agree with this strategy. It would be foolhardy to just not resign anybody and hope for a high draft pick and lots of cap flexibility for next summer while I agree a change in the core is necessary one does not need to completely dismantle it to accomplish that. Just losing one of Koivu or Kovalev will change a lot the leadership of the team or more importantly trying to acquire a new top player will make a bigger difference whether that be a Lecavalier, Hossa, Gaborik or Bouwmeester just one of those guys could very well change the dynamic. This team does not need a complete rebuild but simply a retooling of its core.

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 08:04 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6 View Post
I think Habs summer plan couldn't be better explained then this. Bob Gainey should be patient and do exactly what that guys says, no mather what the fans say.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...offseason.html
Pretty much what Ive been saying for a while.. Its time to bring quality and the Habs are in pretty good posture to get the right players when the time will come, just be patient and laugh at the teams trying to do everthing to fit under the cap.. Suddenly, the UFAs will be willing to sign here, for the only one and good reason that where the money is, players go.. A guy like Tanguay wont get close the money he was doing last season, Kovalev wont get more than a 2 years deal.. teams will become more careful regarding their investments.. Gainey will look pretty good in the next few years believe me..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 05-28-2009 at 08:21 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
2 recent shoulders injuries, tends to play on the soft side, not an easy guy to coach.. will get 3.5 - 4 millions at best.. Personally I would try to get Gagné, Flyers will have to let a high salaried foward go, I doubt there is a GM crazy enough to take Briere's contract and Gagné is the older of the bunch, has a concusions history, is 2 years from free agency.. When healthy, Gagné is really someone that would make our kids playing at a higher level, he gets his nose dirty and plays this game with a high level of intensity every shifts.. This is what we need..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 05-28-2009 at 08:31 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 08:28 PM
CGG

I fail to see how it hurts to bring back some or all of these guys for one year. There won't be serious cap issues this coming season. It's 2010-11 we have to worry about. I don't want Glen Metropolit as my # 2 centre next year.

Keep flexibility for 2010. Who cares if we spend a lot this year. Axing the only leaders on a team that needs leadership still doesn't make any sense.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

I say we should do like the LA Kings and go with the kids if possible.Going for 8 is what has hurt us for a while now.We don't get that good of a pick and we accomplish nothing in the playoffs so it's better to start a true rebuild.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTraverse View Post
I say we should do like the LA Kings and go with the kids if possible.Going for 8 is what has hurt us for a while now.We don't get that good of a pick and we accomplish nothing in the playoffs so it's better to start a true rebuild.
The kids we do have are good enough to get out of the draft lottery, the reason the Kings were terrible for a lot of the years was awful goaltending which is one of our greatest assets and both our goaltenders are young so that idea doesn't make any sense.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
The kids we do have are good enough to get out of the draft lottery, the reason the Kings were terrible for a lot of the years was awful goaltending which is one of our greatest assets and both our goaltenders are young so that idea doesn't make any sense.
It doesn't matter if the D is garbage and right now that is what we have.

Old
05-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTraverse View Post
It doesn't matter if the D is garbage and right now that is what we have.
So we're blowing up the team and tanking for multiple years because our D is garbage now? Wouldn't it be easier to make a few deals and just rebuild the defence?

By adding a couple of defenceman than can actually make a first pass out of our own zone it will not only make our transition game better but it will also make our forwards better.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
So we're blowing up the team and tanking for multiple years because our D is garbage now? Wouldn't it be easier to make a few deals and just rebuild the defence?

By adding a couple of defenceman than can actually make a first pass out of our own zone it will not only make our transition game better but it will also make our forwards better.
It's pretty obvious that Gainey won't deal any prospects unless he gets a superstar in return and we all know that UFA's won't sign here so it's better to build from within and wait for guys like McDonagh and Subban to develop.

Old
05-28-2009, 09:46 PM
habdynasty

great article, I agree it is time for change in Montreal, let the oldtimers walk....

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

If we do go that route, I'd very much like the team to get a vet goalie.

Even though it kills me to lose one of our young tenders at this point, we can't let either or both of them facing such adversity each and every game.

Getting a respectable group of D-men with a solid defensive system, along with a vet goalie should at least keep our tender (which ever one we keep) developing and not feel like **** going in and out of every game.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Go Habs Go

lol

On one hand, he says Montreal is not able to attract free agents, then he goes on to say to save money and only meet the minimum for the cap, draft a new face for the team and then sign free agents.

He's suggesting that a team that at one point this year had over 10 players 23 or under on the starting lineup to start a rebuild. If we didn't rebuild, how can we "draft a new face" for the team? If Gainey could predict the future, then yes he could find a new face for the team with a 15th or 20th overall pick. Otherwise, its all chance thats why the top picks are called "bluechips" while the rest of the first round is not. Secondly he says we are unable to attract free agents so the solution is to save cap space and then go out and sign a free agent...

He then says Tanguay shouldn't be a core player. Last I remember, the Avs core wasn't just Sakic or just Sakic and Forsberg. It was Sakic, Tanguay, Hejduk, Forsberg, Foote, Blake AND Roy.

The only reasonable time for the Habs to do a quick rebuild was this year before the trade deadline when they could've traded all their UFAs and gotten a huge return. We just came out of a rebuild but having so many UFAs in one year was a golden opportunity. Unfortunately, it was the centennial year. Imagine what we could've gotten, especially if Koivu and co. also accepted to waive their nmc.

Trading away Kovalev, Koivu, Komisarek, Tanguay, Lang, Kostopoulos, Bouillon....right at the trade deadline. Gainey could've used this opportunity to select only the type of players he wanted in return and then combine it with the core of young talent that we have. This would've solidified us for a decade at least. But by doing so, he would've been crucified by the media who don't understand the preciousness of that situation. Imagine sending Koivu to Anaheim to center the second line with Selanne. Imagine Kovalev in Pittsburgh beside Malkin or Crosby. Imagine Tanguay on a team like Chicago. We could've gotten at the very least a 1st round pick for each of these players, and thats just the bare minimum. We could've gotten at least a 3rd round pick for Bouillon and Kostopoulos. Had they traded them all, we would be LOADED with draft picks and quality prospects this year. With Subban and Macdonagh coming soon, une opportunite en OR! But they can't do it because the media will rip them. As soon as the media rips them, the fans will rip them.

What the Habs should do is let some of their UFAs walk, but not all. Its ridiculous to be rebuilding at this point, most of our team is young. Use the abundance of young talent that we have to trade for a franchise player as opposed to tanking for a draft pick. The time for tanking is passed, they should've done that a long time ago instead of trying to make it to 8th place to make the playoffs and make money. One of the Habs problem is inexperience and lack of leadership. Letting every single veteran go is not going to fix that. Price needs a veteran backup NOW, not 5 years from now. We need good forwards to mentor the Kostitsyns NOW, not 5 years from now.

Last edited by Go Habs Go: 05-28-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 10:37 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
And he hasn't been around for long so sticking with him can still still involve going in a new direction if that's what they really want to do.

Only problem is people who think he's not worth five million plus. His age and scoring alone will get him that much.

Last edited by MathMan: 05-28-2009 at 10:43 PM.
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Mr. Hab

What are the chances that we get a 1st Round pick by trading the rights to one of our UFA's? (if not most of them).

Any chances we add a 1st and a 2nd Round selection to our Draft day in our Montreal?

We'd have TWO First Round picks and ONE 2nd Round pick...

p.s.: do we have a 3rd Round pick?

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:29 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
What are the chances that we get a 1st Round pick by trading the rights to one of our UFA's? (if not most of them).
None.

At best I can see it being the lagniappe when swapping draft picks with a team that's picking higher, but I don't see that happening.

Quote:
Any chances we add a 1st and a 2nd Round selection to our Draft day in our Montreal?
The Habs have the assets to do it if they decide to go that route. I don't think they will, though, as it would involve sacrificing pieces I think we'd rather keep. That would herald a rebuilding phase.

Quote:
p.s.: do we have a 3rd Round pick?
We have at least Atlanta's.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Mike8

Sounds like a fantasy hockey blogger.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
2 recent shoulders injuries, tends to play on the soft side, not an easy guy to coach.. will get 3.5 - 4 millions at best.. Personally I would try to get Gagné, Flyers will have to let a high salaried foward go, I doubt there is a GM crazy enough to take Briere's contract and Gagné is the older of the bunch, has a concusions history, is 2 years from free agency.. When healthy, Gagné is really someone that would make our kids playing at a higher level, he gets his nose dirty and plays this game with a high level of intensity every shifts.. This is what we need..
I'd stay away from Gagne. He's one concussion away from a Lindros state.

And out of curiosity, isn't it he and Lecavalier that don't get along too well? Or he and Tanguay? I can't remember who, but two of those three aren't the greatest buddies! Not to say they wouldn't be able to put it aside if they were on the same team.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
None.

At best I can see it being the lagniappe when swapping draft picks with a team that's picking higher, but I don't see that happening.

The Habs have the assets to do it if they decide to go that route. I don't think they will, though, as it would involve sacrificing pieces I think we'd rather keep. That would herald a rebuilding phase.

We have at least Atlanta's.
thanks for info...about getting 1st round+2nd round picks...wishful thinking from my part!

We have Atlanta's 3rd...good to know.

We have a 1st, a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and a 6th.
(if I'm not wrong).

p.s.: I hope somehow we can get a 2nd Round pick (with the way our scouts find gems)

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 12:39 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
I'd stay away from Gagne. He's one concussion away from a Lindros state.

And out of curiosity, isn't it he and Lecavalier that don't get along too well? Or he and Tanguay? I can't remember who, but two of those three aren't the greatest buddies! Not to say they wouldn't be able to put it aside if they were on the same team.
tanguay and lecavalier were on team canada together for the world juniors one year.. later that year the oceanic knocked out the mooseheads in the playoffs in a pretty heated series (although i vaguely remember it being some what one sided in terms of # of games) .. the series was also very high scoring haha.. the one game i went to was a 7-6 win for the mooseheads at home.. so if anything tanguay and lecavalier have a "connection" of sorts to not like one another (not that im saying they dont or anything btw)

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote