HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Dixon article

Old
05-29-2009, 06:52 AM
kovalost27

vCash: 500
Yes. Lets get rid of Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Lang, Halak because Plekanec, Higgins, A Kostitsyn, S Kostitsyn and Price weren't playing up to par. Great idea!

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6 View Post
I think Habs summer plan couldn't be better explained then this. Bob Gainey should be patient and do exactly what that guys says, no mather what the fans say.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...offseason.html
I think his article is overly defeatist and exaggerates the negative. I'd be truly embarrassed if Habs management took that kind of approach to a season.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:06 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think his article is overly defeatist and exaggerates the negative. I'd be truly embarrassed if Habs management took that kind of approach to a season.
Ive been desapointed enough with Kovalev's play... Ive been hugely desapointed with Koivu's comments after Carbo got fired, didnt look like a captain backing his coach at all, had the same feeling when Julien got the same treatment.. Tanguay hasnt the reputation to be an easy guy to coach.. The guy is looking at who will be behind the bench to say he is want or doesnt wanna come back, said he wasnt pleased with his ice time when Carbo got fired, tends to play on the soft side, just had 2 serious shoulder injuries, personally I wouldnt take the risk to sign this guy..

As desapointing as our kids have been this year, I think a big part of the prob was the clear lack of leadership in that locker room, too many vets whinning, unsatisfacted, lacking stamina, playing alone or not interested to work hard every game..

I think we deserve better, and its the perfect time to start on new basics, bringing players that will make our kids play at another level, if we cant well, I would be more desapointed in bringing back our old legs, having the kind of season we had rather than giving our kids the lead and learn how to win togheter, it sure wouldnt be an easy season but at least they will improve and the get a real value on the market, at the moment they have very little..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6 View Post
I think Habs summer plan couldn't be better explained then this. Bob Gainey should be patient and do exactly what that guys says, no mather what the fans say.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...offseason.html

Wow...what a great article. I like the way Dixon thinks. If Gainey would do everything in his power to follow what Dixon says in this article, we will begin to build a strong team for the future.

Our RFA's are talented hockey players, and like Dixon said, they are nowhere near as bad as they showed this season. I'm sure Higgins and Pleks are capable of playing a lot better if giving the right amount of icetime and responsibility. They are a valuable part of the team for the coming years. Even if they are used in a trade to aquire some better players, then so be it....but I would much rather keep those guys around and build a team with them in mind.

People need to realize that if we continue to keep the same core players around, we'll never improve. Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay aren't going to form a solid core for this team and lead the Habs to the Cup....it isn't going to happen and the sooner people come to terms with that, the better. Of course, if 1 or 2 of those guys are willing to sign for a very low price and we are having trouble getting other players to sign or having trouble making trades, then I wouldn't be against having them back, but I would much rather move forward without them.

This off-season should be an exciting one for Habs fans all around. There are going to be a lot of changes, from the owners, possibly the GM, new coaches and a lot of new faces in the lineup. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Ok...you continue to be content with a team that struggles to make the playoffs every year if you want, but I hope Gainey blows things up and signs some fresh faces that want to play in the greatest hockey market in the world and fix everything that's wrong with the team.

Everything in this article needs to happen sooner or later, why not do it now and start fresh???

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Ok...you continue to be content with a team that struggles to make the playoffs every year if you want, but I hope Gainey blows things up and signs some fresh faces that want to play in the greatest hockey market in the world and fix everything that's wrong with the team.

Everything in this article needs to happen sooner or later, why not do it now and start fresh???
Blowing things up is just poor asset management. It will not give you a team that is better, it will give you a team that is worse. If people are not content with the current team, then the smart solution is to add elements to make the team better, not subtract elements and make the team worse. The article is very representative of a certain category of fan, but I do not think it is representative of the kind of thinking that would make for sensible real-world hockey management. Fortunately for all of us.

Old
05-29-2009, 05:56 PM
GNick42

Doesn't sound the Dixon is the traditional blowing up a team. Could be a smart management move. Financial wise I mean. Many teams will over spend then be in cap trouble, we know the Habs are a few players away from Cup category. If we cap limit, then another year like this last one, we could be in cap trouble. On other hand, later this year or next year, teams will be looking to move certain high end players that in no other way would we be able to acquire those kind of players.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Doesn't sound the Dixon is the traditional blowing up a team. Could be a smart management move. Financial wise I mean. Many teams will over spend then be in cap trouble, we know the Habs are a few players away from Cup category. If we cap limit, then another year like this last one, we could be in cap trouble. On other hand, later this year or next year, teams will be looking to move certain high end players that in no other way would we be able to acquire those kind of players.
I don't follow the logic. If Montreal is a few pieces away from being a Contender, then it does not make sense to dump the team's better players to save money only to build up to get those final few pieces. Afterall, the original pieces would be missing in this final solution.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:03 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For most people in here, they stopped reading at "They’ll also be looking for a new captain next fall."

Still his article is a little strange. The team is not in complete disarray, the team isn't that bad after all, the base of talent is there......but let Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev walk and sign Plekanec and Higgins....
like I said on previous posts , LET THEM WALK , these guys arent core players for a
title run , why bother keeping them , trust me the kids will pick it up a notch , a few key signings , they wont be missed

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't follow the logic. If Montreal is a few pieces away from being a Contender, then it does not make sense to dump the team's better players to save money only to build up to get those final few pieces. Afterall, the original pieces would be missing in this final solution.
a few pieces away from contender ?? WTF are you guys smoking , we are middle of the pack . When we are ready , what the hell do Koivu and Kovy have left ?

Folks you add these pieces when you are ready to win for depth, not core guys ,
Like Detroit added Brad Stuart, Colorado adds Bourque , etcc...

Old
05-29-2009, 08:09 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Wow...what a great article. I like the way Dixon thinks. If Gainey would do everything in his power to follow what Dixon says in this article, we will begin to build a strong team for the future.

Our RFA's are talented hockey players, and like Dixon said, they are nowhere near as bad as they showed this season. I'm sure Higgins and Pleks are capable of playing a lot better if giving the right amount of icetime and responsibility. They are a valuable part of the team for the coming years. Even if they are used in a trade to aquire some better players, then so be it....but I would much rather keep those guys around and build a team with them in mind.

People need to realize that if we continue to keep the same core players around, we'll never improve. Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay aren't going to form a solid core for this team and lead the Habs to the Cup....it isn't going to happen and the sooner people come to terms with that, the better. Of course, if 1 or 2 of those guys are willing to sign for a very low price and we are having trouble getting other players to sign or having trouble making trades, then I wouldn't be against having them back, but I would much rather move forward without them.

This off-season should be an exciting one for Habs fans all around. There are going to be a lot of changes, from the owners, possibly the GM, new coaches and a lot of new faces in the lineup. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Old
05-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
But it is all predicated on a guess. What if the cap doesn't go down? What if the NHL and NHLPA finagle a way to keep things mostly status quo even if the economics take a downturn? What if... what if. What if those to-be-dumped players all have NTCs anyway, what if they don't even want to come to Montreal. What if they're all just the real deadweight contracts anyway and the rest of the NHL GMs are actually smart enough to hold onto their good players instead. And so on.

I just don't see how looking ahead to that uncertainty is something you want to dismantle your team for. Not when your team is already a playoff team. When it had some pretty clear factors that contributed to it not being a 100 point team. When there is a great deal of youth and potential that we should have reason to believe could make up ground next season. Etc.

Add some players to what we've already got. That's safer than dismantling and counting on something happening in the future that we'll have no control over.

Old
05-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
a few pieces away from contender ?? WTF are you guys smoking , we are middle of the pack . When we are ready , what the hell do Koivu and Kovy have left ?

Folks you add these pieces when you are ready to win for depth, not core guys ,
Like Detroit added Brad Stuart, Colorado adds Bourque , etcc...
Stuart's been one of the Wings' best defensemen this playoff run. Bourque was indeed Colorado's best defenseman. Not validating your point terribly well there.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 01:12 PM
GNick42

Quote:
No, I disagree. I think this Dixon thing would work. Most of our big priced free agents being past their prime. Exception being Komisarek, who is coming off a terrible season. Tanguay also but I am not a big fan of his. Don't really care if he stays or goes. Keep the youth, bottom out the salary, stay primed financially, there's going to big name players come available because of financial reasons that we would not have a chance of getting here.

Old
05-30-2009, 01:25 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Stuart's been one of the Wings' best defensemen this playoff run. Bourque was indeed Colorado's best defenseman. Not validating your point terribly well there.
both were added for the cup run when they were contenders , same as Guerin in PIT

Old
05-31-2009, 09:57 AM
GNick42

We didn't really do much build around Kovalev and Koivu anyway. Not like we are taking a big gamble.

Old
05-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Habitant#1

At the very least I'd sign em all for a year and trade em at the deadline.

Habitant#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Melvin Udall

[QUOTE=Mtl6;19720717]I think Habs summer plan couldn't be better explained then this. Bob Gainey should be patient and do exactly what that guys says, no mather what the fans say.

Consider Ryan Dixon's statement: "Habs must rethink plan of attack in off-season"

Along with Gainey's quote: "(Gainey) knows his team's needs both at forward and defence".

Gives me the impression that at least Dixon and Gainey don't feel that the Habs '08-'09 roster (even healthy) was a competative roster!

WOW - and here I thought Gainey's 5-year Master Paln was set in place and all Habs needed to do was stay healthy in order to win the Cup - shows ya what I know!

GO HABS GO!

Last edited by Melvin Udall: 05-31-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:09 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Ive been desapointed enough with Kovalev's play... Ive been hugely desapointed with Koivu's comments after Carbo got fired, didnt look like a captain backing his coach at all, had the same feeling when Julien got the same treatment.. Tanguay hasnt the reputation to be an easy guy to coach.. The guy is looking at who will be behind the bench to say he is want or doesnt wanna come back, said he wasnt pleased with his ice time when Carbo got fired, tends to play on the soft side, just had 2 serious shoulder injuries, personally I wouldnt take the risk to sign this guy..

As desapointing as our kids have been this year, I think a big part of the prob was the clear lack of leadership in that locker room, too many vets whinning, unsatisfacted, lacking stamina, playing alone or not interested to work hard every game..

I think we deserve better, and its the perfect time to start on new basics, bringing players that will make our kids play at another level, if we cant well, I would be more desapointed in bringing back our old legs, having the kind of season we had rather than giving our kids the lead and learn how to win togheter, it sure wouldnt be an easy season but at least they will improve and the get a real value on the market, at the moment they have very little..
This is exactly what I am thinking as well. Koivu and Kovy are not going to do anything other than give us another 7th to 9th place finish, which I am sick of seeing.

I think we were practically the only team in the playoffs without a franchise forward. Without that type of player we are going nowhere. Koivu and Kovy, and even Tanguay, are not that type of player. They would be great complementary players on a competitive team like Anaheim or Chicago.

As of right now, this team needs two franchise type forwards and one more top-two dman. Moreover, it needs to draft players that would be conducive to playoff success and must have a clear identity going forward. A big task but not insurmountable.

bipolarhabfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

His article is on and off..

Koivu, Kovalev can't be the core, that's very true but if they were to sign on other teams as UFAs chances are they'll have secondary roles. Why can't they have that role over here?..Why can't we keep Koivu as a 2nd or 3rd line center??..
Yes, Gainey has to bring in a top center but why does that mean he has to let go of Koivu??..

The Habs just went through a disappointing year after finishing first, he admits that players like Plekanec-Higgins were not as bad as they shown (we can include the Kost broz, Komi, Hamrlik) and will bounce back, but at the same time he says Gainey should try to reach only the cap minimum next year..

That doesn't make much sense.
1st place finish 07-08+players struggling in 08-09=aim cap minimum 09-10...

If I remember correctly, the prices for tickets have gone up by 5% again for next year. The habs are trying to make a game possible at the Olympic Stadium, I don't think aiming for the cap minimum is what the organization wants.

I do agree we need a change of face and I'd have no problem letting Koivu go considering we'd replace him this year.
I don't think we're so bad that we need to tank to rebuild via the draft over the next 2-3-4 years.
We have great young kids on our team and some coming up, we need to surround them with good veterans and that could make us a contender right away.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Ive been hugely desapointed with Koivu's comments after Carbo got fired, didnt look like a captain backing his coach at all, had the same feeling when Julien got the same treatment..
How did Crosby react to Therrien's firing??..according to reports, players openly talked about not liking his methods after he was fired.

Wasn't there rumors that Brodeur was the main responsible in seeing that Julien gets fired out of a team he made finish 2nd??

Carbo got himself fired for not being able to coach his players. Captains are allowed not to like their coach, it has happened before and will always. It doesn't make them not look Captainish.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:55 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
a change of face and I'd have no problem letting Koivu go considering we'd replace him this year.
I don't think we're so bad that we need to tank to rebuild via the draft over the next 2-3-4 years.
We have great young kids on our team and some coming up, we need to surround them with good veterans and that could make us a contender right away.
Going to take between 9 to 10 million to keep Kovalev and Koivu. Big money considering both players are past their prime. I got no problem with letting them walk, we finished 8th with them. So, not like the sky is falling