HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any Golfers Here?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2008, 11:05 AM
  #1
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Any Golfers Here?

Just checking to see if there might be any interest to a HF Boards Flyers golf outing? If there are 8 or more, I probably could put something together sometime in September or October.

If there are any serious diehard golfers out there, I am going to Bethpage next Friday night to play the Black on Saturday morning and need a 4th. If interested PM me.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
  #2
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
haha thats ****ing dope. How much is it to play at that course?

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
  #3
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 20,136
vCash: 500
I am a golf freak, and would love to play Bethpage, unfortunately I live too damn far away. Have fun !!!

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
  #4
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I am a golf freak, and would love to play Bethpage, unfortunately I live too damn far away. Have fun !!!
My sentiments, exactly!

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:02 PM
  #5
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
For non-residents it's $100, which is a freaking bargain to play a US Open golf course. Needless to say I will have my camera in the bag and will be taking a lot of pictures.

Bethpage will be my 2nd course that has held a major that I have played this year (played Whistling Straits in May) on top of going to a practice round at the Masters this year! It's been a great season for me, golf-wise.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
  #6
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 20,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
For non-residents it's $100, which is a freaking bargain to play a US Open golf course. Needless to say I will have my camera in the bag and will be taking a lot of pictures.

Bethpage will be my 2nd course that has held a major that I have played this year (played Whistling Straits in May) on top of going to a practice round at the Masters this year! It's been a great season for me, golf-wise.
Awesome, and i thought playing Predator Ridge was an accomplishment for me this year, Damn you
Make sure to post some pics !!!

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
  #7
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Awesome, and i thought playing Predator Ridge was an accomplishment for me this year, Damn you
Make sure to post some pics !!!
You can bet that I will. In fact, I'm creating a Webshots page as we speak. I'll have pictures of Bethpage, Whistling Straits, Augusta National, TPC Virginia Beach, Kingsmill River course and Le Diable (gorgeous course at Mont Tremblant in Canada) posted soon as well.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
  #8
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
You can bet that I will. In fact, I'm creating a Webshots page as we speak. I'll have pictures of Bethpage, Whistling Straits, Augusta National, TPC Virginia Beach, Kingsmill River course and Le Diable (gorgeous course at Mont Tremblant in Canada) posted soon as well.
You've played (or will play) all of these courses??

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
  #9
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
For non-residents it's $100, which is a freaking bargain to play a US Open golf course. Needless to say I will have my camera in the bag and will be taking a lot of pictures.

Bethpage will be my 2nd course that has held a major that I have played this year (played Whistling Straits in May) on top of going to a practice round at the Masters this year! It's been a great season for me, golf-wise.
When I was down in Florida in August I played at one of the Disney courses and got paired up with this one guy who loved to hear himself talk and talk himself up. This guy is suppose to be the head guy at the Dick's store in Princeton. Needless to say he hits his first tee shot well right and OB and the next thing you hear is **** **** *****. That's about when I started to tune him out. Later on in the round another guy I was paired up with, who was from Chicago and real cool, started to ask if I played any big name courses. I said no not really and asked him if he has. He said he's played Bethpage Black and Medina. Then the obnoxious guy started saying "you name any course I guarantee I played it." He said how he has played Augusta 4 times, my ass, TPC Sawgrass, the top 4 courses in America, yada, yada, yada. Then he goes onto say how Tiger Woods will never be the same because he has been taking steroids for the past 5 years. Sure buddy whatever you say. Then on about the 17th hole he says how he has played with Tiger Woods. Needless to say I don't think Tiger Woods plays with anybody. But yea the stories this guy had were just great. Sorry for the long story.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:22 AM
  #10
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
You've played (or will play) all of these courses??
With the exception of Bethpage, which (weather permitting) I am playing this coming Saturday, I have played all of those courses with the exception of Augusta National (went to Monday's practice round this year).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:25 AM
  #11
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 875
I swing the occasional sticks. Been on a course or two in my time.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 11:37 AM
  #12
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
With the exception of Bethpage, which (weather permitting) I am playing this coming Saturday, I have played all of those courses with the exception of Augusta National (went to Monday's practice round this year).
that's awesome, dude. I'd love to play Bethpage and Whistling Straits.


I played both the North and South courses at Torrey Pines (my dad lived in La Jolla for several years). The most memorable round I've played, though, was completely lucking out in St. Andrews and getting to play the Old Course on a day where there were no clouds in the sky. The luck came in two forms that day because we rolled into town on a Friday night without having reserved a tee time and still got on the course somehow on Saturday..... as just a twosome, no less; that and the clear skies were ridiculously fortunate.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 11:53 AM
  #13
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
that's awesome, dude. I'd love to play Bethpage and Whistling Straits.


I played both the North and South courses at Torrey Pines (my dad lived in La Jolla for several years). The most memorable round I've played, though, was completely lucking out in St. Andrews and getting to play the Old Course on a day where there were no clouds in the sky. The luck came in two forms that day because we rolled into town on a Friday night without having reserved a tee time and still got on the course somehow on Saturday..... as just a twosome, no less; that and the clear skies were ridiculously fortunate.
That's a great story about St. Andrews. I wish I had good weather like that when I played Whistling Straits. I played it Memorial Day weekend and it was 50 degrees with 50 MPH wind gusts, but at least it was dry.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
  #14
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
I just got done with the first part of Webshots with Whisting Straits

http://sports.webshots.com/album/565...J?vhost=sports

Next up is Virginia Beach National (formerly known as TPC Virginia Beach) and Kingsmill Resort River Course.


Last edited by pelts35.com: 09-02-2008 at 01:33 PM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 07:35 AM
  #15
scottymac223
 
scottymac223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
If you are local and set up an outing, I'd try to make it. I could probably bring a couple others to the party. Probably the nicest courses I've played are Blue Heron East (the week after the USGA held the US Amateur Champ there), Commonwealth National, Pine Hill and Stonehouse in VA. Not much compared to your list.

Carried an 11.2 GHIN for a time, but that was when I was playing 2 or 3 times a week.

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:16 AM
  #16
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac223 View Post
If you are local and set up an outing, I'd try to make it. I could probably bring a couple others to the party. Probably the nicest courses I've played are Blue Heron East (the week after the USGA held the US Amateur Champ there), Commonwealth National, Pine Hill and Stonehouse in VA. Not much compared to your list.

Carried an 11.2 GHIN for a time, but that was when I was playing 2 or 3 times a week.
I am local and am a member at Blue Bell Country Club, so if I put an outing together it would most likely be there.

The tracks you listed are solid, although I wasn't a fan of Stonehouse. It was in great shape, but I didn't care for the layout. Too many blind shots for my liking.

Webpages updated with Kingsmill and Virginia Beach National. Next up will be Augusta National.


Last edited by pelts35.com: 09-05-2008 at 08:26 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
  #17
scottymac223
 
scottymac223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I am local and am a member at Blue Bell Country Club, so if I put an outing together it would most likely be there.

The tracks you listed are solid, although I wasn't a fan of Stonehouse. It was in great shape, but I didn't care for the layout. Too many blind shots for my liking.

Webpages updated with Kingsmill and Virginia Beach National. Next up will be Augusta National.
I try to play different places and take 1 or 2 long weekend trips a year. MD, VA, DE and the Poconos are the usual suspects. When I played Stonehouse I also hit Royal New Kent. That was like what I would imagine golf on the moon might be like. In the Poconos I play Split Rock and Eagle Rock whenever we go and mix in others. MD National is great. Beechtree is solid. I've been told that a Bulle Rock date is in the works so I'm hoping that works out.

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
  #18
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Eagle Rock is a fine track, but haven't played Split Rock. Try to play Great Bear if you are in the Poconos in addition to Olde Homestead.

Bulle Rock is phenomenal and you will love it. Beechtree is closing either this year or next and will become a housing development.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 02:29 PM
  #19
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
Hey Pelts have you ever played Stonewall. I got the opportunity to play out there this year and the place is just magnificent. Also went down to Florida a couple years ago and played at the PGA Village. That place is pretty sweet as well. They have a practice facility there that is so sick. For 10 dollars you get to use the driving range, putting greens, bunker set up, and they have a chipping area as well with like 60 yard shots and in. You can leave and come back later in the day and still use you ticket you bought earlier is pretty sick.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 02:30 PM
  #20
scottymac223
 
scottymac223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Eagle Rock is a fine track, but haven't played Split Rock. Try to play Great Bear if you are in the Poconos in addition to Olde Homestead.

Bulle Rock is phenomenal and you will love it. Beechtree is closing either this year or next and will become a housing development.
The folks at Beechtree told me that and I was stunned. Thanks for the suggestions in the Poconos.

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 03:35 PM
  #21
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Hey Pelts have you ever played Stonewall. I got the opportunity to play out there this year and the place is just magnificent. Also went down to Florida a couple years ago and played at the PGA Village. That place is pretty sweet as well. They have a practice facility there that is so sick. For 10 dollars you get to use the driving range, putting greens, bunker set up, and they have a chipping area as well with like 60 yard shots and in. You can leave and come back later in the day and still use you ticket you bought earlier is pretty sick.
I have played neither, but I understand that Stonewall is absolutely amazing. Of the really good private clubs in the Philly area I have played Lancaster CC, Philadelphia Cricket-Wissahickon, Waynesborough, Manufacturer's, Huntingdon Valley, Hartefeld National and Commonwealth.

As for PGA Village, I know people that have gone there and have said that the practice facility is amazing. The range is like a U so that you can move to different spots for different wind patterns, different types of sand in the bunkers, various uneven lies, etc.

Scottymac, I've heard that it's possible that Bulle Rock could bite the dust too so if you have the chance to play it, take advantage of it.

I'm pretty sure that Great Bear is semi-private, but if it isn't just 30 minutes across the border is The Architect's Club, which is a cool links course with replica holes of various classic course architects.


Last edited by pelts35.com: 09-05-2008 at 04:46 PM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 10:52 AM
  #22
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Updated with pictures from Bethpage Black.

There are few courses that actually live up to their hype and the Black is absolutely one of them. It's definitely in my top 3 courses I have ever played and may be number 1 (TPC Sawgrass and Whistling Straits being the other 2).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 11:09 AM
  #23
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Updated with pictures from Bethpage Black.

There are few courses that actually live up to their hype and the Black is absolutely one of them. It's definitely in my top 3 courses I have ever played and may be number 1 (TPC Sawgrass and Whistling Straits being the other 2).
I can't access the pics at work, but I'll definitely check up on 'em when I get home.

How was #17 at Sawgrass? I can imagine I'd lose 3-4 balls out of intimidation alone

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
  #24
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I can't access the pics at work, but I'll definitely check up on 'em when I get home.

How was #17 at Sawgrass? I can imagine I'd lose 3-4 balls out of intimidation alone
When I went down there I played the Stadium course twice. The first day I hit the green and made a routine par. The second time around it was really windy and I missed the green right.

The rest of the course is really good and is a bear from the back tees. I haven't played it since the remodel, but I hear it's even harder now.

I'm heading back to the Black next month and plan on getting out there at least 4 or 5 times every season.

BTW, my Augusta pics will be up by the end of the week.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
  #25
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Finally have Augusta National up on the site.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.