If we do miss the playoffs....which looks more and more realistic-Wouldnt the season been much better or at least more entertaining had we just gotten a couple of goons/tough players and played some "beat the snot out of the other team" style hockey as well as let our offense consist solely of the Ziggy Palffy show?
I know its all second guessing and what not, but making the playoffs seemed like the light at the end of the tunnel and a small reward for watching our players brutalized game in and game out.
Now it ends we watched a season of our players brutalized and not making the playoffs....its a one two punch thats a bitter pill.
yeah, the season has had its ups and downs, but there are a number of things that i have really liked about this season.
1. an outstanding crop of rookies: gleason, pirnes, barney, brown, and cammalleri have all shined and been very impressive this year. no calder candidates, but i am very excited and glad that these kids are on our team.
2. the continued emergence of both derek armstrong, who has played very well all year and especially lately as he's become more aggressive, and lubomir visnovsky, who honestly just blows me away by how good he is. he's like watching poetry on ice.
3. the veteran contributions of trent klatt and luc robitaille - klatt has been outstanding, and i would keep him on this team as long as possible. he's a tremendous influence on the youth of this team. luc has resurrected his career and played brilliantly, regaining the scoring touch, like always, when he wears the right uniform.
4. the effectiveness of sean avery - on many nights one of our most effective players and a tremendous influence on our team.
5. the aquisition of jeff cowan - good move, you can always use another hard-checking guy like him.
It is easy to feel really disappointed right now, but it still ain't over til it's over... if you have a tape of Miracle on Manchester watch that and you'll feel better...
Anyway, if we'd really just focused on being tougher, and narrowed the offense, it might have been more satisfying when our players got roughed up, but we might not have been as much in the playoff race. And to me really being a force in that race in spite of everything is the highlight and reward of this year.
I think at whatever point our season ends (assuming that we don't win the Cup, lol) it's going to feel terrible for a while, but once the pain subsides... I think what will be remembered is all they did accomplish.