HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jazz festival in Montreal

Old
05-29-2009, 09:34 AM
bulgaria

vCash: 500
Jazz festival in Montreal

Hi, Habs fans- I'm a big jazz and hockey fan-strange combination don't you think!?
Anyway, my question is about famous jazz fest in your home town!
Please tell me about your personal impression of the fest(if you have it).
I mean I can find a lot of info on internet but for me it will be nice
if you describe what is the atmosphere there,what is to watch and listen names like Pat Metheny,Alain Caron or Mike Stren for instance.
What is your opinion- is Montreal jazz fest one of the best in the world(I'm talking about quality and level of music and performances)
Just write what you want- will be fine.
Thank you!
Мerci beaucoup!

bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
BruinsBtn

The Jazz Fest is amazing. It's a non-stop party and all the bands always seem to be great. The galas (Stevie Wonder this year) get packed so get there early or skip it. Overall, it's a really positive, fun place to be. It's the best time of year in Montreal.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Mathletic

best show of my life, Pat Metheny: The Way Up at the Jazz Festival

I'll be there again this summer for Al Di Meola and several other good shows

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Joe Cole

Overall it is great.

My pet peeve is that in reality, jazz does not appeal to enough people to hold a large event in a city such as Montreal, so they have to bring in acts which are not jazz at all, so that they can sell it to the masses.

Lots of World Beat, Blues, Pop and Rock, even Reggae... all done so the general public can tap their feet and pretend they attended a jazz show.

Then again, that pays to freight for the actual jazz shows, which are most often held in the smaller venues.

It is a big party though.

I am still upset that the Alan Holdsworth show from around 10 years ago was cancelled at the last second.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:51 AM
bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
best show of my life, Pat Metheny: The Way Up at the Jazz Festival

I'll be there again this summer for Al Di Meola and several other good shows
It's one of my dreams-to watch and listen Pat Metheny alive but....!
I had the chance to see Mike Stern and it was great!

Thank you fellows!

Old
05-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Overall it is great.

My pet peeve is that in reality, jazz does not appeal to enough people to hold a large event in a city such as Montreal, so they have to bring in acts which are not jazz at all, so that they can sell it to the masses.

Lots of World Beat, Blues, Pop and Rock, even Reggae... all done so the general public can tap their feet and pretend they attended a jazz show.

Then again, that pays to freight for the actual jazz shows, which are most often held in the smaller venues.

It is a big party though.

I am still upset that the Alan Holdsworth show from around 10 years ago was cancelled at the last second.
yeah, Bran Van 3000

I like their music, but come on

Old
05-29-2009, 09:59 AM
bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Overall it is great.

Someone told me that the situation with Montreux jazz fest is almoust the same.So I understand you

Old
05-29-2009, 10:03 AM
bulgaria

Quote:
yeah, Bran Van 3000

I like their music, but come on
By the way I went to Steve Vai concert 8 or 9 years ago and he did a great show!

Old
05-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgaria View Post
By the way I went to Steve Vai concert 8 or 9 years ago and he did a great show!
yeah, I think his shows have been even better lately

his show with the The Holland Metropole Orkest is great. I think he really took some interesing decisions in his career moving towards the classical, story telling, emotional logical pathway more than the typical rock shred way ... which I like a lot ... but I'll take Lotus Feet over that

his last tour with the violinists was awesome, I think he knocked it out of the park with those guys

Old
05-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Someone told me that the situation with Montreux jazz fest is almoust the same.So I understand you

Really.... even Montreux....

You should here the supposed "jazz" radio station locally.... there is just not enough of an audience, and certainly not a DJ how tries to educate on the importance and history of Jazz, showing it's relevance and influence in pop/rock music from the 60's right through today.

Old
05-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Mathletic

btw, special request for the Jazz Festival, Hiromi Uehara, amazing player

Old
05-29-2009, 10:14 AM
McTusk

IS the Kind of Blue: 50 Years On show going to be at it? I'm seeing it in Vancouver, I can't wait!

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:

his show with the The Holland Metropole Orkest is great. I think he really took some interesing decisions in his career moving towards the classical, story telling, emotional logical pathway more than the typical rock shred way ... which I like a lot ... but I'll take Lotus Feet over that

his last tour with the violinists was awesome, I think he knocked it out of the park with those guys
I lost track of him, but let me tell ya.... when Flexible came out... I was totally flipped out. We had to import it ourselves at the time. Since then... there have been some releases I could not relate to, and he dropped off my radar.

I have mad respect for the man though. Total artist.

Old
05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
bulgaria

Quote:

In 1993 album(Sex and Religion) Steve performs with the great canadian singer and guitarist Devin Townsend. What's going on with this boy?
Is he well known in Canada and NA now?

Old
05-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
In 1993 album(Sex and Religion) Steve performs with the great canadian singer and guitarist Devin Townsend. What's going on with this boy?
Is he well known in Canada and NA now?
Devin's back ... btw, before changing my avatar to Steve's I had Ziltoid, the last character created by Devin ... he's releasing a solo album shortly, he took a break for some personal reason, he said he didn't like touring

Devin's greatly liked in the underground metal scene. I think he's one funny guy and good talent, though he has some sort of mental disorder. His last release with Strapping Young Ladd was excellent, I always like putting that album from time to time.

Old
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Thinkaboutthat

Great festival. With the new Festival Place outside, it will be magic this year.

Thinkaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I was kind of disappointed in the bill this year but I still might go see Ornette Coleman, if only because it could be my last chance (and it's Ornette, come on).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I was kind of disappointed in the bill this year but I still might go see Ornette Coleman, if only because it could be my last chance (and it's Ornette, come on).
Will be seeing Ornette at the Bluesfest in Ottawa. Should be good!

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I should be there, such an important person in the history of jazz. Pat Metheny always talks at long of how much importance Ornette had on his development as musician.

Old
05-31-2009, 09:14 AM
justsomeguy

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I've been to at least the past 20 Festivals and have never come away disappointed, except occasionally with that year's T-shirt designs, not a major squawk by any means.

The variety and quantity of entertainment is unparallelled, particularly for free on the street. With libations. Literally something for everyone and most of it for free. If you go to a ticketed show, odds are you know what you're in for and on the street, if it don't tickle your fancy, move on down the block and the next stage'll have something that will.

Above and beyond the music itself, the Jazz Festival is the happiest time this city sees. It's the type of thing you just could not do in any major American urban centre or in most other towns in Canada.

If you were to get 100,000 people together in the downtown core and serve them alcohol in most other places, you'd be piling up bodies like cordwood in the alleyways.

Have seen a lot folks overserved at the Festival but not one single fight or arguement.

Not truely a jazz afficionado but have developed a bit of a familiarity with it over the years. Catch a lot of blues during those two weeks though. Also have a fondness for the veterans that regularly come in and will usually but tickets for them rather than current or emerging stars. Caught Aretha last year and am debating buying seats for Joe Cocker this year.

Have also met, among others George Benson in an elevator, Taj Mahal on a street corner, The Lost Fingers backstage and Chris Jagger (kid brother of the other one) on the outdoor terrace near Place des Arts, the main indoor venue. There are also anumber of folks I've more or less lost touch with over the years that I only see at the Jazz Fest.

Guaranteed fun for the whole family.

Unless it rains.

Hope you make it to the party.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:37 AM
SpreeEndaz

If you misread, you might really get intrigued by the possibility of a j*zz festival.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:10 AM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
If you misread, you might really get intrigued by the possibility of a j*zz festival.
I participate in one daily.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Rickkins

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/default-en.aspx

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:37 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

Have seen a lot folks overserved at the Festival but not one single fight or arguement.

That's so true, I've been there since the beginning and I've never seen a fight or police intervention. They just wont let you bring à can of beer there.

Back to the music, there's usually 3-4 simultaneous shows live (and for free) outside and some shows inside at the usual price. So you can see a folk-jazz singer at 17:30, have supper, walk around the various stages and watch a bigger jazz or blues show later in the evening.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote