HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Cherry finally gone mad?

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Jacques Strappe

vCash: 500
Has Cherry finally gone mad?

I couldn't see where this has been posted anyplace else. If it has been, I apologize and a moderator can feel free to remove it. Did anybody catch Don Cherry after the game (I think it was between games not Coach's corner)? I believe Don's actually finally lost it. For those of you who didn't see it, he was showing a clip of Montreal's second goal which was credited to Dowd. Cherry was going on about how Ryder was a great kid and they showed the angle where it was 'obviously' Ryder's goal and he deserved it because of all his hard work, etc. Then they show the reverse angle which shows that it was actually and obviously Dowd's goal.

Well - that's when it all went to H-E-double hockeysticks in a handbasket! He started ranting about some conspiracy theory where 'They' are all out to get him to discredit him. "We spent five minutes looking at replays. How come I didn't see this?! Making me look like an idiot!" Summarizing but this was the basic idea. He may have even gone on about the 'language police' and the 'safety police' going after him (but I may have this confused with another of his bewilderments).

Other notables from Cherry on March 20th:
still backing Belfour as favourite for the Vezina...pleeeaaase (in a sarcastic tone)! and he went on to backpedal a bit and say how he didn't want it to look like he was cheering for the Leafs. Too late.

...and stemming from the conspiracy theory he mentioned in a 'give me a break' sort of way that he was only here for a couple of more months so just lay off and let me do my job blah blah blah.

Bottom line: Anybody know whether or not this is DC's last year on Coach's Corner? If so do you think one of the sports networks would pick him up? Personally I'm tired of him. I used to respect his opinion, but now he's just like an angry bulldog with alzheimers!

Old
03-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Heathen

Send a message via ICQ to Heathen Send a message via AIM to Heathen Send a message via MSN to Heathen Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen
What do you mean "finally" gone mad. In the words of Pink Floyd:

"I've been mad for *********g years"

Old
03-24-2004, 12:28 PM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen
What do you mean "finally" gone mad. In the words of Pink Floyd:

"I've been mad for *********g years"

I can't stand that Leaf sympathizer! Hey DON...

Old
03-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Corey

Eliminate the Leafs and leave Cherry at a loss for words.

Old
03-24-2004, 01:07 PM
habfan4

Cherry was officially pronounced "mad" on May 10, 1979 - assists to Guy Lafleur and Yvon Lambert.

Old
03-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
Personally I'm tired of him. I used to respect his opinion, but now he's just like an angry bulldog with alzheimers!
I feel exactly the same way about Cherry. At some point in the mid to late 90's Don lost it and has not been able to find his way back.
I hope this is his last year because I'd like to remember some of his earlier days fondly which isn't going to happen if he stays on the air much longer. If he decided NOT to hand em up after this year, the CBC's going to have to do something.

Old
03-24-2004, 06:19 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I feel exactly the same way about Cherry. At some point in the mid to late 90's Don lost it and has not been able to find his way back.
I hope this is his last year because I'd like to remember some of his earlier days fondly which isn't going to happen if he stays on the air much longer. If he decided NOT to hand em up after this year, the CBC's going to have to do something.
i think when his wife passed away he really took a turn for the worst (and understandably so)

Old
03-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Cherry was officially pronounced "mad" on May 10, 1979 - assists to Guy Lafleur and Yvon Lambert.
Classic!

Old
03-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08
i think when his wife passed away he really took a turn for the worst (and understandably so)
Definately. She was supposablely the one holding Don's leash and the one that held him back from rant after rant. I wonder if after her death Don decided to screw the world, an let out everything he has held back for the longest time.

I dunno. I had major respect for the guy for a long time. I've mentioned here before how I was supposed to have a private lunch with Don in '93 (might of been '92, can't exactly remember). I respected his opinion on hockey matters more than pretty much anybody else in hockey, but he has slipped so badly that I rarely watch Coach's Corner any more.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I love cherry, honestly. When it comes to entertainment in hockey, outside the game, he is simply the best. Contreversial, yes, but that show business people. Cherrys job is to entertain, not to sit there and throw out facts. He does this very well. In fact Cherry is nothing like the person you guys see on tv(which is all an act). I once met him at a Brampton Batalions game, and he was a very nice person. Dont believe everything you see on tv, because what you guys are failing to see is cherry's job is to stirr the s**t.

Closed Thread