HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Semin (with conditions)

Old
05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Alex28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Short of you taking a Toronto deal, only a complete moron is going to take Semin under these conditions...I don't mean to be offensive, but the most you could gain cap-wise is Semin's deal (unless it is from Toronto)...$7.2 million in cap space is a LOT on a 50 million dollar cap...

If you trade Semin with a dump, the only way you save 7.2 million is if the return is something like Tlusty and Finger (yeah, that sucks)...

Semin, by himself, will never get you 1 player, but he'd easily be worth something like Hodgson, Bieksa, and a mid-round pick...

The teams that have space to burn are those with little to no scoring depth (commonly referred to as rebuilding teams)
Well, one of those salary dumps you get you can just bury in the minors (don't get why capitals fans are opposed to just doing that).

A healthy Semin is a 90-100 point player (79 points in 62 games this year while having a difficult time coming back from injuries) who is above average defensively (+25 and a huge amount of takeaways, so sue me), and can do everything extremely well offensively except the physical aspects, though he routinely takes hits to make plays. If he gets hot he's capable of putting together jawdropping goal and point streaks like few other players can. He's also very solid in the playoffs.

That said, if he does want 7 million (which I highly doubt he could get anywhere, and he agreed to a contract which ends at RFA so I don't think he'd make a run for the KHL) it would probably be impossible to get fair value for him. That's why I'd really prefer he stays and keeps our offense elite.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 05:49 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Right now, as things stand, we've got 6.5 million cap space freed from Kozlov and Fedorov.
$5.1 million of that $6.5 is already dedicated to Clark and Pothier. And we still haven't replaced Fedorov.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Kramed

How about vancouver puts in Demitra and a 3rd instead of Grabner/Hansen and a 2nd.

To Washington: Demitra,Bieksa,3rd

To Vancouver:Semin,Clark,Pothier.

The advantage from washingtons POV is that grabner won't be a top 6 fwd for atleast a year,so demitra fills the spot that semin left.The downside is that demitra makes 4.5 mill for another year, so even if you add in pothier,it kinda makes the salary dump worthless.

Kramed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramed View Post
How about vancouver puts in Demitra and a 3rd instead of Grabner/Hansen and a 2nd.

To Washington: Demitra,Bieksa,3rd

To Vancouver:Semin,Clark,Pothier.

The advantage from washingtons POV is that grabner won't be a top 6 fwd for atleast a year,so demitra fills the spot that semin left.The downside is that demitra makes 4.5 mill for another year, so even if you add in pothier,it kinda makes the salary dump worthless.
I wouldn't do it for a variety of reasons but value-wise I guess that's fair if the 3rd is upgraded to a 2nd.

Old
05-31-2009, 02:20 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

To EDM: Semin

To WSH: Souray, Cogliano, Nilsson

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:21 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBIG4 View Post
To Wsh: Weber and Sullivan

To Nsh : Semin, Nylander and a 3rd
Nashville would refuse emphatically.

Why would they have to take Nylander on top of that?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:58 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
I wouldn't do it for a variety of reasons but value-wise I guess that's fair if the 3rd is upgraded to a 2nd.
He actually has a cap hit of 4 million, which isn't too bad considering we're taking over 4 million in Pothier and Clark off your hands. It just creates a bit more space up front that is needed if we get Semin. But I still like the simple Bieksa, Grabner for Semin, Clark. I might like Pothier a bit more over Clark, though, since he's a defenseman.

God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 03:25 AM
bant82

Send a message via AIM to bant82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
To EDM: Semin

To WSH: Souray, Cogliano, Nilsson
as a caps fan wouldnt mind that at all. I dont know the contract status on those guys but im sure it would put us over the cap. in my honest opinion thats robbery washington gets way to much in return.

Speakin of Nilsson havent really seen him much i dont watch that many Oil games i always thought he had some potential how has he been doing?

Last edited by bant82: 05-31-2009 at 03:37 AM.
bant82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
jim lahey

To Wsh: Spezza and Foligno

To Ott: Semin and Fleishmann

jim lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Alex28*

Weber is the only player that you could realistically get for Semin that, as things stand right now, I'd be interested in. Chances of Nashville doing that are 0 though. They actually have a pretty good lineup going into next year with Ward breaking out and an elite top 3 with Weber, Suter and Hamhius, and if they break bank for one more good top 6 forward or a top 4 D (though I guess Klein should do fine) they'll be contenders. Not to mention Wilson is coming up and looks like he'll be a force.

Old
05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBIG4 View Post
To Wsh: Spezza and Foligno

To Ott: Semin and Fleishmann
The point of the deal is to dump Semin's salary if he asks for the moon. Bringing in Spezza sort of defeats that purpose. Not to mention they're about equal in terms of what they'd bring to the table. And Spezza gets to play with 2 elite players from Ottawa, with us he'd get Laich and Fehr (or Backstrom would get those, anyway).

And there's the fact that Ottawa never does the deal because their center depth becomes the laughingstock of the league.

Also, Semin's leap from last year to this year has been indescribable. Played 1 less game this year and got 37 more points. To me, this indicates that he's breaking out and could very well put up even better numbers next year or consistently be good for 35-80 and solid playoff runs.

If there's anyone we need to wrap our hands around from Ottawa it's Volchenkov.

Old
05-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bant82 View Post
as a caps fan wouldnt mind that at all. I dont know the contract status on those guys but im sure it would put us over the cap. in my honest opinion thats robbery washington gets way to much in return.

Speakin of Nilsson havent really seen him much i dont watch that many Oil games i always thought he had some potential how has he been doing?
He had a down year, half the bipolar Oiler fans want to pay to get rid of him. However, he, along with Penner, were MacT's favourite whipping boys. I really see one of the two turning it around completely under Quinn/Renney.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I really don't think Semin is worth Cogliano, Eberle, and #10. Thats a lot to give up for a player that could very well bolt back to Russia again after this season.
How good will he be away from Ovy?

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Why does Washinton want to trade Semin??? I'd be estatic if we got him for Tlusty Kubina and a 2nd.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Why does Washinton want to trade Semin??? I'd be estatic if we got him for Tlusty Kubina and a 2nd.
Washington doesn't, Washington fans who want to make him the whipping boy for getting knocked out in the playoffs do. Nevermind that without him we fold in the 1st round this year and fold way faster in the 1st round last year.

DC never does the deal you proposed. They can get much better elsewhere.

Old
05-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I really don't think Semin is worth Cogliano, Eberle, and #10. Thats a lot to give up for a player that could very well bolt back to Russia again after this season.
How good will he be away from Ovy?
From an Oiler standpoint, I wouldn't do that deal. If he was more of a sure thing like Nash then of course. But yeah, there are concerns about how well he plays away from OV, whether he'd be able to find a place in the locker room being a Russian speaking introvert, and whether he'd bolt to Russia. In Washington those aren't concerns though, which is why his value to us is far greater than his value to any other team.

If he can seamlessly translate to another team, he's worth that package and then some. This is a guy who's 4th highest PPG in the league and can score and create in the playoffs as well.

Here's what I see happening if he does get traded - he gets traded for some return considerably less than what he's really worth, doesn't fit in on his new team, bounces around the league until he's picked up by Red Wings at the point when he's hit rock bottom and considers going to Russia, and becomes the next Datsyuk and a vital cog in winning them another 3 cups or so. The league collectively facepalms.

Old
05-31-2009, 06:54 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
It's not a matter of wanting to, it's a matter of having to if we can't afford to keep him. He'll be in line for a new contract next summer, at the same time Backstrom will, and it may turn out that we can't afford them both.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It's not a matter of wanting to, it's a matter of having to if we can't afford to keep him. He'll be in line for a new contract next summer, at the same time Backstrom will, and it may turn out that we can't afford them both.
Assuming he doesn't get and take a monster offer from the KHL (which I think he's not a fan of right now), how much do you think he would realistically go for?

I'm guess he'd stay for 5.6 million (2*2.8) for 6-7 years

Old
05-31-2009, 07:03 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
That would work well for TO, as you know we completly suck and we have cap space.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
jim lahey

I am just throwing out trades to say what you guys think!!! lol

Old
05-31-2009, 07:21 PM
jim lahey

I really don't want to trade Semin

Old
05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
dand

(1) Physical top-4 defensemen Tom Gilbert

(2) 2nd line center who can skate Andrew Cogliano

(3) Productive top-6 RW. Bonus points if its someone who can score some ugly goals Ethan Moreau

dand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dand View Post
(1) Physical top-4 defensemen Tom Gilbert

(2) 2nd line center who can skate Andrew Cogliano

(3) Productive top-6 RW. Bonus points if its someone who can score some ugly goals Ethan Moreau
MacT is that you? Gilbert is not a physical defenseman, and Moreau is no where near a top 6 RW. He's a 3rd line LW

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Then we waive Theodore, Clark, Pothier, trade Morrisson and get cheaper replacements for Fedorov and Kozlov.

The possibility of the cap falling is a bad reason to ship out a star player and a bad contract for mediocre return.

It's like people don't see how bad our offense would become without him. We'd be like Ottawa except with worse secondary scoring.
The numbers I gave didn't include Theodore and Morrisonn.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The numbers I gave didn't include Theodore and Morrisonn.
So what exactly is the cap situation for this upcoming, counting everyone who stays on the team (assuming Kozlov, Fedorov, Brashear are not returning?)

I could be wrong but I don't see it as a rangers-type cluster**** where dumping salary is imperative at any cost. Even so, everyone Green, Ovechkin and Backstrom is more expendable than Semin for that purpose (not mentioning Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov for obvious reasons).

If we're dumping Semin the only way we can hope to consistently go deep is either if all our other prospects start exploding or if we manage to acquire an Anaheim caliber blueline. Neither of which I see happening.