HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Linear Crossover

Old
06-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Laodongxi

vCash: 2500
Linear Crossover

The linear crossover technique seems to be one of the newer buzzwords in skating innovation. I cannot seem to find any good video or explanations of the technique, short of joining a pay site.

One free sample video I was able to watch showed a sequence of Jack Eichel making an end-to-end rush, beating a defenceman wide, and scoring. In this video Eichel makes a few initial crossovers and then skates, in what appears to me, a straight line using a traditional stride. The analysis compares his stride to the speedskating stride where you initially fall on the outside edge.

I just don't see anything revolutionary about Eichel's forward stride and fail to understand what this has to do with "linear crossovers" in the first place?

Anyways, I would love to hear from anyone who know how to incorporate this technique or can point me to some good info/video. I'm an old guy who plays pickup with a bunch of young guys and I need every advantage I can get. lol...

Laodongxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 03:48 PM
puckpilot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laodongxi View Post
I just don't see anything revolutionary about Eichel's forward stride and fail to understand what this has to do with "linear crossovers" in the first place?
From my understanding, it's not anything new. It's just a new buzz word to describe something old. It comes from Darryl Belfry, skills coach for TO and this article on him.

http://www.tsn.ca/crossovers-set-cro...peers-1.602173

He did an analysis of commonalities in top players and found they do this thing when they skate.

When you think of crossovers, generally you envision turning or going in a circle. But what a lot of top players do is they use crossovers instead of a normal stride to gain greater speed and shift angles.

In fact you may already do it already. I know I do... umm... just poorly. :p

puckpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 05:42 PM
jw2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpilot View Post
From my understanding, it's not anything new. It's just a new buzz word to describe something old. It comes from Darryl Belfry, skills coach for TO and this article on him.

http://www.tsn.ca/crossovers-set-cro...peers-1.602173

He did an analysis of commonalities in top players and found they do this thing when they skate.

When you think of crossovers, generally you envision turning or going in a circle. But what a lot of top players do is they use crossovers instead of a normal stride to gain greater speed and shift angles.

In fact you may already do it already. I know I do... umm... just poorly. :p
Thanks.

I've never heard of the term, until recently, never looked it up.

I'm pretty sure I've always done this. Just seems natural when skating, especially when protecting the puck, presenting the stick or just weaving in and out of players.

One thing is for sure, I'm going to be "thinking" about me doing this too much next time I'm on the ice.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Laodongxi

Thanks a lot! That makes a great deal more sense.

I think I've always done this as well. But I'm going to go public skating on Sunday to play around with it a bit to see if I can use it more to make some quick improvements.

Old
06-15-2017, 10:30 PM
Elias Pettersson
165lbs

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laodongxi View Post
Thanks a lot! That makes a great deal more sense.

I think I've always done this as well. But I'm going to go public skating on Sunday to play around with it a bit to see if I can use it more to make some quick improvements.
Go full speed and use it to dodge kids.

Elias Pettersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Laodongxi

Lol... They allow skating aids for little kids so that will make it even more challenging.