HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley Cup Finals | Game 1 | Penguins @ Red Wings | 8:00 PM | CBC, NBC, RDS |

Old
05-30-2009, 11:13 PM
nik jr

vCash: 500
zetterberg was excellent again. shut down crosby yet again.
it would be ridiculous if he never wins the selke.

he is just amazing. imo, player of the game.

i thought hossa was mostly invisible. did not drive to the net, even when he had clear opportunities. took long shots again. he needs to play like he did in game 4 of the chicago series.

even without 2 of the best faceoff men in the NHL, DRW dominated the dot. zetterberg: 75%. helm: 73%. filppula 55%. abdelkader only had 5 draws, but he won 4 of them.
i noticed they actually allowed zetterberg to take the faceoffs, instead of throwing him out every time.

helm was great again. he plays so hard and never quits. he has very quickly created a large fan base.

far too many giveaways and turnovers.

but no PPGA!!!!

i was surprised pittsburgh did not forecheck more and better. that forechecking could be a big problem.

crosby cheats behind the D so often in the offensive zone, hanging around the net for goals. he has been doing that throughout the playoffs. d-men really need to be aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
Kronwall is killing me.
he caused pittsburgh's goal and his stupid play at the blueline gave malkin a breakaway.
i don't think malkin tripped him, but even if malkin did trip him, it was still a very stupid play by kronwall. even after he tripped, he didn't get the puck deep, he tried to control it.

1 of his diagonal passes on the PP was almost intercepted for a breakaway.

he also again left his feet trying to hit malkin.

he had another bad game.

he plays a too risky game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athtar View Post
I think Leino had a strong game too. Actually our entire 4th line did.
agreed

i was surprised they got so much TOI, but they were very solid.

abdelkader got his 1st goal, and leino got his 1st playoff point.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
zetterberg was excellent again. shut down crosby yet again.
it would be ridiculous if he never wins the selke.

he is just amazing. imo, player of the game.

i thought hossa was mostly invisible. did not drive to the net, even when he had clear opportunities. took long shots again. he needs to play like he did in game 4 of the chicago series.

I agree about Z. He is amazing defensively.

As for Hossa, I thought he played solid D tonight and was good on the PK. Not a bad game for him, imo.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Cappo40*

If I may say..I did not watch this game...but juding from the Highlights on NHL.com

1) Crosby elbowed Zetty and got away with it
2) Hossa got hit, and the puck was totally not near him
3) Malkin hooked Kronwall before going on the breakaway, later stopped by the glove of Ozzy
4) Cooke just hits a Detroit player in front, 5 seconds after the whistle was blown on the freeze up by Fleury (no call)
5) Congrats to Abdelkader on his Goal (I believe his first Playoff goal)

Overall great game by the boys...I hope they can keep this momentum for tomorrows game!

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:54 PM
sarcastro

I am ok with Kronner going for the KO on Malkin in that situation. If he knocks him out of the series/severely impacts his performance, then it's lights out for the Pens. Props to Geno for getting his head up in time.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Schroedingers Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I am ok with Kronner going for the KO on Malkin in that situation. If he knocks him out of the series/severely impacts his performance, then it's lights out for the Pens. Props to Geno for getting his head up in time.
Yep.

Kronwall-Stuart are going to be hunting for Malkin all series long and will get him sooner or later.

IMO if it's Crosby in that situation I think he's down and out of the series. Malkin is Datsyuk-like in his ability to detect hits.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:20 AM
nik jr

i was wrong about that turnover. stuart, not kronwall, turned the puck over on pittsburgh's goal.

that is bad. stuart has been very good throughout the playoffs. really need him to keep playing well.

Quote:
i want him to crush crosby and malkin, but not by leaving his feet.

i am surprised he does not get more charging calls.

but it is ironic that he got 5 and a game for a clean hit on havlat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
As for Hossa, I thought he played solid D tonight and was good on the PK. Not a bad game for him, imo.
but who on the team doesn't play solid D?

with datsyuk injured, hossa is the most dynamic offensive player on the team, but he did very little offensively. DRW are much more likely to win if he plays well offensively.

1 play that really stood out to me was when hossa had the puck on the rush. filppula and (i think) homer pushed back pittsburgh's d-men by moving toward the net, which left much open ice on the left side of the offensive zone above the hash marks.
hossa could easily have moved into that open space for a scoring chance, but instead, he took a weak wrister from the top of the right circle.

i have no idea why he does not drive to the net more.

babcock should hypnotize him to make him think every game is game 4.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
sarcastro

When Kronner hits people and leaves his feet, the main reason is because the other guy ducks or is not in a position to keep him standing. He does not leave his feet BEFORE the collision, like the charging rule forbids. Rather, he sometimes leaves his feet AFTER the collision if the guy he's hitting goes down easier than he was anticipating.

Not his fault, not charging.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Athtar

Quote:
When Kronner hits people and leaves his feet, the main reason is because the other guy ducks or is not in a position to keep him standing. He does not leave his feet BEFORE the collision, like the charging rule forbids. Rather, he sometimes leaves his feet AFTER the collision if the guy he's hitting goes down easier than he was anticipating.

Not his fault, not charging.
I love Kronner but there is no question that he leaves his feet on some of his hits.

Athtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 01:06 AM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
From a bandwagon fan: Happy to see Cindy frustrated and acting like a ***** at the end of the game. Typical whiny Cindy.

Cannot stand the "Holy Diver". Can't wait for game 2, even though they screwed the wings with the scheduling. Go Detroit!
Crosby is such a puss. Whacking Maltby and then skating away from it. I want Kronner or Stewie to knock him into next week, preferably tomorrow night.

Quote:
SIDNEY CROSBY: Yeah, he was doing what he always does. You know, he was giving guys lip service and things like that. And you know, I two handed him on top of the foot there as we were skating by. So he felt like it was necessary to keep talking after the game, and I thought I'd whack him and that was it.
http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009...tgame_1_p.html

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:24 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
Crosby is such a puss. Whacking Maltby and then skating away from it. I want Kronner or Stewie to knock him into next week, preferably tomorrow night.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009...tgame_1_p.html
He really said that?

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:48 AM
HockeyinHD

Osgood for Conn Smythe?

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Osgood for Conn Smythe?
If we win the Cup, it wouldn't surprise me at all. In fact, I probably would expect it to happen. Franzen and Z would probably split votes, and leave it open for Ozzie.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:18 AM
The White Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Osgood for Conn Smythe?

Well I'm pretty sure we can all agree that it's not going to be Datsyuk.

The White Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:24 AM
selkie

Abdelkader's first goal at the NHL level whether regular season or playoffs. I'm actually kind of glad that Scotty's not coaching this team because he had such a strong preference for veterans, and so many of the call up kids (Abby, Helm, Leino, Ericsson) have been playing so well in key roles this playoffs, especially in recent games.

selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:02 AM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
He really said that?
I'm actually shocked he admitted to doing it. But why do something like that, and then skate away from the guy coming after you? Just because Malts was talking during the game? Last time I checked, that was still part of hockey. Crosby had better watch himself, but it he wants to get frustrated already, the more it benefits the Wings.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:21 AM
canadiac

this can't be good for pittsburgh lol

Talbot on playing against Marian Hossa: "There's nothing I'd like more than to be able to shake Marian's hand at the end of this series, look him in the eye and say, 'You chose the wrong team.'

canadiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I don't see what the big deal is with the Maltby/Crosby thing. Crosby wouldn't be the first player Maltby has driven to distraction and he wouldn't be the first player to take a hack at Maltby because of it. I view this as a good thing: the wings are already getting under Crosby's skin. If he's distracted, he's less effective.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:27 AM
HockeyinHD

I always crack up when I see Crosby do bush-league stuff like that.

He's the annointed face of the NHL, and after losses he's sticking 833k players on the top of the foot and skating off like a turd.

Imagine for a moment Wayne Gretzky doing that. Or Mario Lemieux. Or Steve Yzerman. You can't, not really. That's mostly because all of those guys were men. Honorable adults who fought hard and won or lost with grace and dignity. Guys who, even when there was a large degree of personal animus in the game, were able to set it aside when the horn sounded and start preparing for the next contest.

Crosby is nowhere close to becoming that kind of adult, if he ever even will.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:55 AM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDinger View Post
Everything I read tells me we have no chance.

whatever.

Overwhelm them in the first period and roll to a 3-1 win.
I'll take that.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote