HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal to Toronto.

Old
05-31-2009, 08:14 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Well, a deal has no chance of happening if thats the price. And I'm a huge fan of Staal's.
As we know from countless times from these proposals,Pens and Leafs don't make good trading partners.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:35 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Alright, Staal may be a former 2nd overall pick, but the fact is that with increased ice-time, his stats have actually decreased since his great rookie year. You're not going to get much more for him than a mid-1st in 2010, especially since it's a very deep draft.

Be honest. Do you think Staal on his own is worth a top 10 pick in this year's draft?
I personally think that he's worth up to the 3rd overall by himself. Given the choice between Staal and anyone in this years draft I only take Tavares and Hedmen over Staal. I think you are under-valuing Staal a bit his. His numbers don't even come close to telling the whole story with him.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:37 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
By the looks of it, you're a Philly fan. What would you give up for Staal?

I don't think Philly needs anymore centers.
You bite your tongue. My avatar is a Pens playoff avatar mocking John LeClair. I'm by no means a Flyers fan.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:38 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
Despite his contract, he still has trade value. He may be streaky and one dimensional, but he's very good on offense, and is a proven playoff performer (however, he was kinda' weak in this year's playoff).

I actually think Atlanta should trade Lehtonen for Briere. Lehtonen hasn't panned out in Atlanta (due to injuries), but Philly could use a potential #1 starter. I also think that Briere and Kovalchuk would work well together.

Briere is older,smaller,less physical and makes roughly $3m more a yr then Staal.Oh yeah,I could definitely see Waddell preferring Briere to Staal

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Every Pens fan will be waiting with bated breath for Matt Stajan, a TBD first rounder, and the ever-powerful 2nd to be put back on the table.

Please, non-playoff team, with all your leverage, take pity on a poor reigning two-time Eastern Conference champ and send us your mediocre center who put up numbers because he was the de facto #1 on a cruddy roster and your anonymous future draft picks for our playoff-proven young two-way pivot.

We hate winning, and this proposal will do plenty to help rid us of the nasty habit.
Wow, i tried to be as polite as i could with that response, and you respond with this one. It really shows your class. I said why this is not a good idea from our perspective. I could care less about what you hate and love. Oh, and the way you are talking, it seems Jordan Staal is the second coming of Sidney Crosby. That isn't crap we are offering, its good assets.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:54 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT View Post
Wow, i tried to be as polite as i could with that response, and you respond with this one. It really shows your class. I said why this is not a good idea from our perspective. I could care less about what you hate and love. Oh, and the way you are talking, it seems Jordan Staal is the second coming of Sidney Crosby. That isn't crap we are offering, its good assets.

Not crap,just Toronto's spare parts for another team's valuable trade chip.

Old
05-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Briere is older,smaller,less physical and makes roughly $3m more a yr then Staal.Oh yeah,I could definitely see Waddell preferring Briere to Staal
If Waddell is in win now mode (as you're implying), he would likely take Briere over Staal. As other people have posted, I also don't see Staal working well with Kovalchuk.

And who cares what Briere makes. Fact is that he has a 6.5 million dollar cap-hit, and he's worth it to a team with the cap-space.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
You bite your tongue. My avatar is a Pens playoff avatar mocking John LeClair. I'm by no means a Flyers fan.
Yeah, I didn't notice the Pens sequences of your avatar. My bad.

Old
05-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Crosberry87

Quote:
If Waddell is in win now mode (as you're implying), he would likely take Briere over Staal. As other people have posted, I also don't see Staal working well with Kovalchuk.

And who cares what Briere makes. Fact is that he has a 6.5 million dollar cap-hit, and he's worth it to a team with the cap-space.

Briere is in no way, shape, or form worth 6.5 million.

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:12 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
I'd rather have Kulemin than Stajan, because Stajan doesn't fill a need.

Kulemin and the 2010 first might be okay if the Pens wanted to trade Staal.

Though I would not mind this deal.
he does after trading staal

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 04:12 AM
wayne98

nope wouldnt do that trade. the leafs need to keep 1st rounders

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:31 AM
kmillzy5

Quote:
Assuming that Jordan Staal is put on the trade market, this is the offer that Burke should make for him.

To Pittsburgh: A 2010 1st round draft pick, Niklas Hagman, Matt Stajan, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick.
To Toronto: Jordan Staal, and return salary.

Pittsburgh gets a good 3rd line center in return, a speedy two-way top six winger, a 2010 1st round draft pick, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick.
Please put Kulemin in there instead. .
-Yes i would do this. . First Time i have ever liked a non-homer Staal proposal.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:39 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Kovalchuk is a ufa next July and Atlanta will have to offer him a big contract to stay.

So saying who cares that what Briere makes is kind of silly.Waddell and the Thrasher owners would care.

Old
06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
JTG

Pens want only 1 player from Toronto.

Which coincidentally is the same player that Toronto fans won't part with.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
As we know from countless times from these proposals,Pens and Leafs don't make good trading partners.
Yeah, very true. We want young talent, and Pittsburgh's cupboard is relatively bare, beyond guys who are already important roster players.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
he does after trading staal
Not really, we would suffice with Talbot as the third line centre, many were happy to pencil him in that spot at the start of this season.

It never ceases to amuse me how every Staal-Toronto trade thread follows the exact same path.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Pens want only 1 player from Toronto.

Which coincidentally is the same player that Toronto fans won't part with.
Jonas Frogren is all yours.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Not for the Pens it's not. For all we know the Leafs could sign the Sedin bros + Bouwmeester, go all the way to the eastern conference finals and the Pens would get the 25th pick in a draft weaker then this one...
It depends on your opinion on Staal. If you think he will score 70pts or you think he is career 50-55pts player. He is very young and already playing excellent 2 way game but I do not see him as a playmaker.

Staal is set to make 5M a year (if I am not mistaken). Thats a lot of money for a guy who did not score 50pts. If Staal does not deliver next season does it mean he is overpaid? Leafs may need to add something else to the original offer but not much imo.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think acquiring Staal would mean some or all of the following players go the other way:

Matt Stajan - most obvious replacement for Staal from Pittsburgh's POV
Nikolai Kulemin - has previous chemistry with Malkin and could develop into a solid winger
Lee Stempniak - young winger who has scored ~30 goals in the past, and might be able to reach that accomplishment again playing with Crosby or Malkin
1st round pick

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I think acquiring Staal would mean some or all of the following players go the other way:

Matt Stajan - most obvious replacement for Staal from Pittsburgh's POV
Nikolai Kulemin - has previous chemistry with Malkin and could develop into a solid winger
Lee Stempniak - young winger who has scored ~30 goals in the past, and might be able to reach that accomplishment again playing with Crosby or Malkin
1st round pick
Take out Kulemin, put in Hagman and a 2nd, and it's a deal.

Old
06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Take out Kulemin, put in Hagman and a 2nd, and it's a deal.
I really think Kulemin could be the deal breaker. Shero knows (or at least should know) that he played great with Malkin, and on the other hand I think Burke might be open to trading him (at least if it meant the return would be Staal, ie. prototypical Burke-type player) because Burke hasn't historically been a big fan of Russia players.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I really think Kulemin could be the deal breaker. Shero knows (or at least should know) that he played great with Malkin, and on the other hand I think Burke might be open to trading him (at least if it meant the return would be Staal, ie. prototypical Burke-type player) because Burke hasn't historically been a big fan of Russia players.
I hope Burke isn't open to trading Kulemin. He's going to be a good two-way player.

C'mon, Hagman and a 2nd instead of Kulemin should suffice. Hagman has back-to-back 20 goal seasons under his belt, and is a fast two-way player with lots of dangle.

Old
06-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Jonas Frogren is all yours.
frogger is the man....lol
The leafs really have nothing to give the pens, that they want or really need.
Unless we want to dig holes in our long term plans, in order to obtain 1 player...
Schenn, and certain draft picks are pretty much untouchable...which would throw a wrench in alot of trade talks.

Sterling31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Don't want him. The expectations in Toronto would destroy him.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
If I'm Shero I don't except anything less than Schenn +Mid level pick prospect or Kulemin and 2009 1st.
This is actually one of the worst proposals I've seen and I actually like Staal...

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote