HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal to Toronto.

Old
06-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Falcons93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Assuming that Jordan Staal is put on the trade market, this is the offer that Burke should make for him.

To Pittsburgh: A 2010 1st round draft pick, Niklas Hagman, Matt Stajan, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick.
To Toronto: Jordan Staal, and return salary.

Pittsburgh gets a good 3rd line center in return, a speedy two-way top six winger, a 2010 1st round draft pick, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick.
Why would Toronto do this? Stajan outproduced Staal offensively with less ice time, and he's a solid two-way player himself. He's only 25 and still a relatively young player. Hagman could have put together a better season if he wasn't injured, and could potentially help Toronto in the future. The 2010 pick is going to be a top 10 pick again next year, so there is no way in hell that's a part of this deal. I'd rather take my chances on a prospect than take them on Staal. I like Staal but I don't think he will ever get you a top 10 pick even though he went second overall himself. Throwing in the second is just kicking the Leafs while they're down, that and the fact they have to take a salary dump is ridiculous. The point is, the Pens won't trade Staal for anything less than a package like this, but the Leafs have no reason to do this and they would never do it. These teams aren't good trading partners.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

Im sorry but this trade is ludicrous....maybe if you switched the draft picks around so that toronto is receiving them you would have a better deal but right now pittsburgh assrapes toronto in this deal

Omar Little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:40 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
This is actually one of the worst proposals I've seen and I actually like Staal...
Schenn and Staal have very similar values. Seems like Toronto Fans want to get Staal for there spare parts.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:42 PM
marcolino

Quote:
Assuming that Jordan Staal is put on the trade market, this is the offer that Burke should make for him.

To Pittsburgh: A 2010 1st round draft pick, Niklas Hagman, Matt Stajan, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick.
To Toronto: Jordan Staal, and return salary.

Pittsburgh gets a good 3rd line center in return, a speedy two-way top six winger, a 2010 1st round draft pick, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick.
leafs don't have a 2nd round pick in 09 only new york and buffalo's

marcolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolino View Post
So? It'd be one of those picks.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Schenn and Staal have very similar values. Seems like Toronto Fans want to get Staal for there spare parts.
I agree with you...but when you look at it; the leafs cant afford to part with there future and thats all what can really be offered....if we cant get anything for it, we might as well move along...cause theres no need to screw with the future to obtain a single player...who isnt goin to be a star player in his own right. The proposal is on the table, because im assuming the pens are looking to deal one of the higher paid players come the offseason, and it seems that Staal could be a marked man

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
I agree with you...but when you look at it; the leafs cant afford to part with there future and thats all what can really be offered....if we cant get anything for it, we might as well move along...cause theres no need to screw with the future to obtain a single player...who isnt goin to be a star player in his own right. The proposal is on the table, because im assuming the pens are looking to deal one of the higher paid players come the offseason, and it seems that Staal could be a marked man
You've basically hit the nail on the head. The pieces that have been offered aren't that bad but I only see Shero dealing Staal for a Young Winger locked up for similar money and similar years or for talented Prospects on entry level deals. So Schenn is really what would be required for Leafs to get Staal.

Old
06-01-2009, 02:51 PM
vecens24

Quote:
You've basically hit the nail on the head. The pieces that have been offered aren't that bad but I only see Shero dealing Staal for a Young Winger locked up for similar money and similar years or for talented Prospects on entry level deals. So Schenn is really what would be required for Leafs to get Staal.
I kind of disagree with that. I would think the only way we deal Staal in the offseason is to get a player in his prime to push them over the hump, such as a Kovalchuk or someone like that. However if the leafs were to offer that trade initially proposed I can't see a situation where they say no because thats just way too much even if Staal is only 22.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:03 PM
ugotmybeef*

2010 first round pick alone is worth more than the entire Pittsburgh roster.

Edit: Ya that's a strech but that first round pick is going to be high and is very important. Probably a better play too.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

good proposal but I would hope Toronto doesn't make this trade

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Stajan isn't really a spare part. He's a decent forward who will get 70 points (in a scoring role) while playing a solid two-way game at the age of 25. I think Stajan and a 2nd is more than reasonable for Staal. His cap hit is also less than Staals. Granted, Staal hasn't really had the opportunity to score as much since he's playing on the 3rd line behind Crosby and Malkin, but he is not worth a 1st round pick from the Leafs. No one would trade a top-10 pick for him except for some Penguins fans. Schenn is the future cornerstone of Toronto, he wouldn't get traded for some players that are better than Staal, there's no way Schenn + Kulemin + a 2010 is fair value for Staal. I'd offer Stajan + 2nd + 3rd at the most.

Old
06-01-2009, 04:22 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Alright, Staal may be a former 2nd overall pick, but the fact is that with increased ice-time, his stats have actually decreased since his great rookie year. You're not going to get much more for him than a mid-1st in 2010, especially since it's a very deep draft.

Be honest. Do you think Staal on his own is worth a top 10 pick in this year's draft?
Depends who's pick you're talking about. Would LA take Jordan Staal for the 5th overall? It might need some tinkering by both sides but I think it could be possible. LA needs a winger desperately to play with Kopitar but Staal is young enough and signed for a few seasons that it would give LA great depth at the center position. Jordan would look great behind Kopitar and the 5th overall could be used to draft Paajarvi who could be the young, inexpensive winger (for three years at least) that could step in next season and really make an impact playing with Sid or Geno.

So LA's 1st rounder (5th overall)(+) for Jordan Staal (+)

How bout Jack Johnson? If not the 5th overall maybe something around JJ.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Depends who's pick you're talking about. Would LA take Jordan Staal for the 5th overall? It might need some tinkering by both sides but I think it could be possible. LA needs a winger desperately to play with Kopitar but Staal is young enough and signed for a few seasons that it would give LA great depth at the center position. Jordan would look great behind Kopitar and the 5th overall could be used to draft Paajarvi who could be the young, inexpensive winger (for three years at least) that could step in next season and really make an impact playing with Sid or Geno.

So LA's 1st rounder (5th overall)(+) for Jordan Staal (+)

How bout Jack Johnson? If not the 5th overall maybe something around JJ.
Again, why would it cost the 5th overall pick AND Jack Johnson for Staal? The Kings would never do that. I like the Penguins, and probably watched 80% of their games this season / the whole playoff run. Staal is not worth the 5th overall and Jack Johnson. Not close.

Old
06-01-2009, 04:41 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Stajan isn't really a spare part. He's a decent forward who will get 70 points (in a scoring role) while playing a solid two-way game at the age of 25. I think Stajan and a 2nd is more than reasonable for Staal. His cap hit is also less than Staals. Granted, Staal hasn't really had the opportunity to score as much since he's playing on the 3rd line behind Crosby and Malkin, but he is not worth a 1st round pick from the Leafs. No one would trade a top-10 pick for him except for some Penguins fans. Schenn is the future cornerstone of Toronto, he wouldn't get traded for some players that are better than Staal, there's no way Schenn + Kulemin + a 2010 is fair value for Staal. I'd offer Stajan + 2nd + 3rd at the most.
I don't want to dump on Stajan and he is a very useful player but to call him a 70 point player is a bit of a stretch. He definantly had a great year but there were still many times throughout that he looked like he didn't belong in a top 6 role. I think saying 50 points a season is alot more reasonable and thats a pretty good player if you ask me. He is a third liner that can easily step into the top 6 when needed. Stajan and a 2nd rounder is not going to get you Staal at this point. Jordan may have never scored 70 points in a season, in fact he has never even scored 50 points, but that doesn't take away from what Jordan can bring to a team. I think as he gets older Staal will be a better offensive contributor but right now Jordan plays a very good two way game, kills penalties, plays the PP and can score 20+ goals a season and he's doing it at the ripe age of 20 years old. Staal is 6'4, 215 pounds and has matured physically yet. Jordan could become the next Keith Primeau and if you remember it took Keith a little while before he was a dangerous offensive player.

Staal won't get the Pens the world but he will get more than Stajan and a 2nd rounder imo. If that's the best the Pens can get they are better off keeping Staal.

Old
06-01-2009, 04:42 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Again, why would it cost the 5th overall pick AND Jack Johnson for Staal? The Kings would never do that. I like the Penguins, and probably watched 80% of their games this season / the whole playoff run. Staal is not worth the 5th overall and Jack Johnson. Not close.
I never said the 5th overall AND Jack Johnson. I said if NOT the 5th overall maybe Jack Johnson instead.

One or the other

Old
06-01-2009, 05:02 PM
vecens24

I think you guys vastly underrate Staal. He scored 20+ goals playing zero time on the power play. He is a great penalty killer due to his size and length. He can take larger forwards such as his older brother Eric and Jeff Carter out of the game (yeah I'm aware Carter was a little knicked up in the series but he still he was a complete non factor). There is no reason that with full power play time centering a good line he couldnt score 30+ goals. Remember the stretch Staal had on a line with Kunitz and Malkin when Kunitz was just acquired and Crosby was injured. He had two multi goal in three games (small sample size but could be a look of things to come). Taking this ability along with his defensive ability there is no reason that the Penguins couldn't receive a premier package for a 22 year old center with this ability and the room to grow even more.

Old
06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
AK

Quote:
Oh, and I added Hagman to the trade, with return salary coming back to Toronto.
Hagman, 2nd, 3rd for Staal would be a good hockey trade.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 05:16 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Hagman, 2nd, 3rd for Staal would be a good hockey trade.
Can Brian Burke fax over the paperwork?

Old
06-01-2009, 05:27 PM
BeLeafer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolino View Post

We dont have Buffallo's pick. We got Carolina's pick from Buffallo in the Moore trade.

My proposal for Staal would be Stajan, 2009 2nd and a prospect (Tlusty, DiDO or Stalberg)

BeLeafer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 05:55 PM
wej20

Quote:
I said Schenn + mid level prospect or 2009 1st + Kulemin(with 3rd coming to Toronto) would be fair value for Staal. No chance in hell that Stajan scores 70 points on the Pens as he'd be Third Line Centre to and in my opinion wouldn't match Staal's scoring. I agree no one is going to give a top 3 2009 pick for Staal but 4-10 I think would seriously consider trading for Staal if he filled a need.

Old
06-01-2009, 06:04 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
I said Schenn + mid level prospect or 2009 1st + Kulemin(with 3rd coming to Toronto) would be fair value for Staal.
For Eric Staal? Deal!

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
vecens24

Quote:
I said Schenn + mid level prospect or 2009 1st + Kulemin(with 3rd coming to Toronto) would be fair value for Staal. No chance in hell that Stajan scores 70 points on the Pens as he'd be Third Line Centre to and in my opinion wouldn't match Staal's scoring. I agree no one is going to give a top 3 2009 pick for Staal but 4-10 I think would seriously consider trading for Staal if he filled a need.
Would anyone do Schenn plus 1st rounder for Staal and 2nd rounder? Schenn gives Pens much needed cap relief and good defensive depth. Staal is a little more proven and gives them their first line center that they need. Picks even trade considering I would say Staal has more value right now than Schenn because A) he's more proven than Schenn and B) probably has a little bit higher of a ceiling than Schenn in the end as well. With 7th pick the Pens take either Luke's brother Brayden or Zack Kassian.

Any Leafs' fan do that instead of the initial trade offered?

Old
06-01-2009, 06:43 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
For Eric Staal? Deal!
I know some Leaf Fans see Schenn as already as good as Adam Foote in his prime,but his value is similar to Staal.

Old
06-01-2009, 06:54 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Would anyone do Schenn plus 1st rounder for Staal and 2nd rounder? Schenn gives Pens much needed cap relief and good defensive depth. Staal is a little more proven and gives them their first line center that they need. Picks even trade considering I would say Staal has more value right now than Schenn because A) he's more proven than Schenn and B) probably has a little bit higher of a ceiling than Schenn in the end as well. With 7th pick the Pens take either Luke's brother Brayden or Zack Kassian.

From Leafs POV - Absolutely not.

Old
06-01-2009, 06:55 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post

No way I'd trade either our 1st or Schenn for Staal. All Staal has proven is that he is an excellent 3rd line center. One of the best. He is not the 1st line center we need, especially at that ridiculous price. He may one day prove to be a 1st liner, but not yet, and by no fault of his own. I'd love to have him but I've yet to see a team within the top 10 say they would trade their 1st for him. I'd like to see that poll.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote