HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal to Toronto.

Old
06-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
ahhh thats how you spell it.....note taken.

Personally, i dont really want Staal...and apparently theres not much interest in players from the leafs; from a pens perspective. In my mind the full re-build is on, so parting with keys to the future, doesnt make any sense
That is how you spell it.... And yes, I totally agree with you. I think its time we get rid of all the so called "veterans" and bring in as many picks and prospects as possible. It would be much cheaper to bring up our own talent than trade for one.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 02:36 AM
pittiful89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT View Post
Wow, i tried to be as polite as i could with that response, and you respond with this one. It really shows your class. I said why this is not a good idea from our perspective. I could care less about what you hate and love. Oh, and the way you are talking, it seems Jordan Staal is the second coming of Sidney Crosby. That isn't crap we are offering, its good assets.
Though his post was rampantly elitist, the point to the "we are the almighty Pens" rhetoric was partially that Matt Stajan put up better numbers than Jordan Staal because he was the #1 center on a bad team as opposed to a #3 on a good team.

I've really come around on Staal this year. It's partially because he's clearly flourished under Bylsma, and also because I've come to understand that he is an above-average offensive player even though he still does not look at all natural in the offensive zone. The trick to this is to focus on the result of his action, not how he looked doing it, and by watching him more when he's away from the puck. And also, the guy got 39 even strength points this year in a primarily defensive role...as a 20 year old. Pretty good stuff.

Anyway, I would puke if Shero did Staal for Stajan+2010 1st+2009 2nd. If Schenn or the 2009 1st is off the table (even though Staal has just as much value as either of those), I'd want something like Kulemin+the 2010 1st.

pittiful89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 02:48 AM
pittiful89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittiful89 View Post
Though his post was rampantly elitist, the point to the "we are the almighty Pens" rhetoric was partially that Matt Stajan put up better numbers than Jordan Staal because he was the #1 center on a bad team as opposed to a #3 on a good team.

I've really come around on Staal this year. It's partially because he's clearly flourished under Bylsma, and also because I've come to understand that he is an above-average offensive player even though he still does not look at all natural in the offensive zone. The trick to this is to focus on the result of his action, not how he looked doing it, and by watching him more when he's away from the puck. And also, the guy got 39 even strength points this year in a primarily defensive role...as a 20 year old. Pretty good stuff.

Anyway, I would puke if Shero did Staal for Stajan+2010 1st+2009 2nd. If Schenn or the 2009 1st is off the table (even though Staal has just as much value as either of those), I'd want something like Kulemin+the 2010 1st.
Let me amend this by saying that I still believe the Pens should ultimately trade Staal, just because good top 6 wingers cost...you know, I forget...let's see, society switched to the fiat system...oh yeah, the word I was looking for was "money." Money the Pens don't have under the cap with $4 million invested in their third-line center. But Shero should look for and eventually get a big return for Staal, cause the guy's a pretty darned good player.

pittiful89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:17 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
How well you type/write matters if you want people to take you seriously. You will learn this when you venture out into big boy world.

gLAD to see this is what you call the biG boY world? soME people on this board are so full of ThenSelveS" ATTacking people on their graMMer. JEEZ THIs guy is right on ah wAIt he left out a period and forget to put a cap on that name.gOT him nOw.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
gLAD to see this is what you call the biG boY world? soME people on this board are so full of ThenSelveS" ATTacking people on their graMMer. JEEZ THIs guy is right on ah wAIt he left out a period and forget to put a cap on that name.gOT him nOw.
Where did I suggest HFboards was the big boy world?

Yawn.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:33 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Let me amend this by saying that I still believe the Pens should ultimately trade Staal, just because good top 6 wingers cost...you know, I forget...let's see, society switched to the fiat system...oh yeah, the word I was looking for was "money." Money the Pens don't have under the cap with $4 million invested in their third-line center. But Shero should look for and eventually get a big return for Staal, cause the guy's a pretty darned good player.
This is what makes some HF proposals so mind-numbing as Staal is generally viewed as a hot commodity by opposing fans, yet is also noted as not having considerably high value. So while some fans think he'd be an ideal solution at first or second line center, an extremely important asset, for their team, they balk at Penguin fans for quoting similar value per their team needs.

I understand there's a range of opinion on Staal's potential and future/current value but it baffles me to see him treated like almost a salary dump in some cases. Regardless of what anyone here thinks, the kid has considerable value to real GMs and nothing short of a package around a young winger or defenseman is realistically going to be considered. Some fans may not agree with it, but Shero would make a lot of moves before parting with Staal and if he does get traded, I'm willing to bet there will be an uproar over the cost it takes to land him.

Furthermore, it's been about two years or so that the Pens "must get rid of him" if they want to stay competitive, yet they still remain among the elite in the East. Losing to Detroit is frustrating but hardly reason alone to trade an important part of the team, particularly considering Staal's potential as an anti-Detroit player (big and strong, defensively responsible, solid two-way play). If the time comes that there's a major cap crunch, I trust Shero to make the appropriate move, until then speculation on needing to trade him is redundant.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Chea*

TO doesn't need Staal. He's a good player but we really don't need another #2 center.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:51 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
if a gm is offered jordan staal for their first round pick (aside from 1 & 2 b/c of the hype), i can't see them turning it down.

as colorado, if i was offered jordan staal for the third overall, it would done so fast i'd have to go back and check what happened

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:21 AM
JTG

Quote:
well, he did come aboard in '06.
Well sorry if i came off ignorant myself; but i think i have the right to stand up and say what is right and true...If your going to rag on the bottom feeder leafs...look no further than the years you were bottom feeding yourself and how that felt (If you were even a fan then)...thats all what im trying to get across
The fall to mediocrity is two very different stories when comparing the Leafs and Pens. To even compare the two is ignorance.

I think why CW gets a little upset is because every single Toronto proposal is for a bunch of scrap that doesn't fill a need for our team. Stajan doesn't help our cause, and neither do draft picks. This team is looking to contend right now. Draft picks do not help immediately.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:32 AM
embracedbias

Quote:

Nope, he wasn't. In fact, the Leafs didn't have a #1 center. We essentially had 3 second lines all season long. Blake, Hagman, Stajan, Stempniak, Grabovski, Poni all had the general amount of ice time that a 2nd line would get. The line that was playing the best (which included a bunch of other players along with this 6) was the one that got the most ice time on any given night (for the most part). At the end of the season Stajan was playing with Devereaux and Hamilton on the 3rd line.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I would say (and I could be wrong) but from what I have seen this year in the playoffs, they need another real puck mover to feed gonchar and skate the puck out. Letang looks promising but he is not ready. They lost Whitney who was a big part of last years cup run, (in the games I saw). Kaberle could step in and have helped in that respect.
Kabs/gonchar
Letang/Orpik etc...Then add in kulemin for the wing who has chemistry with malkin and have talbot step up into the 3c spot.

I think Kaberle and Kulemin would be much better for a 2010 cup run then Tlusty Kulemin, and much more than a 2010 first rounder or Mcdonagh and Subban. That was my point.

That said if Poni, Stajan and a 2nd got Staal Id be thrilled.....
My take on Kulemin is that he'll be a good 2nd line sniper with good defensive ability. He has chemistry with Grabovski, and played alot better when Ponikarovsky was added to the line (he put up 9 points in the last 11 games of the season).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
if a gm is offered jordan staal for their first round pick (aside from 1 & 2 b/c of the hype), i can't see them turning it down.

as colorado, if i was offered jordan staal for the third overall, it would done so fast i'd have to go back and check what happened
That must be a joke. If the Colorado GM traded Matt Duchene for Jordan Staal, he'd be fired, shot in the knee-caps, hung, burned, and pissed on. Colorado fans are already declaring him the second coming of Sakic, and rightfully so. I watched him alot this year, and he's going to be a great two-way player (I actually think he'll be much better than Tavares).

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
AvalancheRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post

As an Avs fan I can say I would hate that deal.

AvalancheRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:46 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheRy View Post
As an Avs fan I can say I would hate that deal.
Personally i think the excitement of drafting a highly touted prospect is what i look for too...
From a maple leafs perspective; we have been throwing away our picks year after year. So its nice for a change to see us develop a good young talent. Same as the Avs and Duchane, (who i believe they will draft)....you know what your going to get in Staal, its just interesting to see how these high picks will pan out.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
AvalancheRy

Quote:
Personally i think the excitement of drafting a highly touted prospect is what i look for too...
From a maple leafs perspective; we have been throwing away our picks year after year. So its nice for a change to see us develop a good young talent. Same as the Avs and Duchane, (who i believe they will draft)....you know what your going to get in Staal, its just interesting to see how these high picks will pan out.
That is totally it. I am really excited to see what the pick can do, whoever it may be. I am not expecting the next Sakic or anything but you never know!

AvalancheRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheRy View Post
That is totally it. I am really excited to see what the pick can do, whoever it may be. I am not expecting the next Sakic or anything but you never know!
Have you seen Duchene play at all? The guy is a serious talent, and you should be very excited about drafting him. He brings a much more complete game than Tavares, and is a way better skater (very fast). I'd personally take him way before Tavares, as I believe his game will better translate to the NHL.

I consider Duchene to be the best forward in this year's draft. He's going to be a damn good NHL player.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote