HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phaneuf, and Cammalleri's rights.

Old
06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Phaneuf is a very tough trade because of his impact on the team; but it seems obvious that a retooling in some way/shape/form is definitely neccessary; with the hope of obviously clearing some cap space. As a Calgary fan 2nd (or 3rd -- always seem to jump between the Canes & Flames); there's no way I'd actively look to trade Dion; but I would listen to offers. I also don't believe that it is time to rebuild. Iggy is 30, Jokinen is 29, Kipper 31, Regher 28; this team still has a bright future ahead.

Assuming Phaneuf would be gone, the blueline would consist of Regehr, Sarich, Vandermeer, and Giordano. Realistically, that means the need for a top pair guy with Regehr, and a top 4 guy to play with Sarich. The one thing that seems to be missing is a puck-mover if Phaneuf is gone.

Up front, I would problably consider moving Langkow if the right package came along that brought in a top line left winger capable of carrying a 2nd line.

Obviously any trade involving Phanuef has to be part of the bigger picture; but one scenario that could make sense is to trade him for a guy like Kaberle after the UFAs are snatched up; both had pretty rough years, but Phaneuf is young & physical (something the leafs definitely aspire to be) and Kaberle is cheap, plus will come with other assets.

If the Flames can get Beauchemin or Morris to a deal close to $4million, and then move Phaneuf for Kaberle (+ other assets) then you're looking at a pretty good bargain, with about $4.1 per top 4 defenceman (with Regehr, Kaberle, Sarich and Morris/Beauchemin). Thats a lot less than was spent this year with Aucoin instead of Morris/Beauchemin.

Up front, depth chart looks something like this:

?-Jokinen-Iggy
Bourque-Langkow-?
Glencross-Primeau-Moss
Nystrom-Boyd-?

I think Backlund may be ready for the NHL, so assuming you move Langkow, and maybe take a guy like Hagman, Ponikarovsky, or Kulemin in addition to a draft pick in a Phaneuf deal; you can problably work that into a pair of solid top 6 wingers with lots of cap space to use. It would be very non-sutterish; but Gaborik might even fit.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:22 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
Cammalleri will come to us thanks.

Kaberle
Stempniak
7th Overall

for

Phaneuf

Luke Schenn - Dion Phaneuf

nuff said
If I'm the Flames, I take that deal in a second... Kaberle is a much better dman right now than Phaneuf is, while at $4.2mill, he's got a low enough salary that basically replaces Aucoin (who was making $4mill last year)... gives the Flames the 7th overall pick, and gives them a great shot at signing JBo in the offseason as well.

JBo's salary becomes easy to fit with Phaneuf's gone... and again Kaberle will just replace Aucoin's salary...

no brainer IMO for the Flames... they get the 7th overall and add 2 dmen that are better right now, which gets them closer to the Cup under their current window.

If I'm Calgary, I'd try and lock up this deal as soon as possible... IMO if they have the cap space to sign JBo, Calgary is his first choice to sign with.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Alex28*

Quote:

Kaberle
Stempniak
7th Overall

for

Phaneuf

nuff said
I can see it now.

Huge scramble.

Opposing team goes on a rush.

Phaneuf miserably fails on a one on one

Schenn comes to bail him out

After retrieving the puck, Schenn miserably fails at passing it up

Phaneuf comes to bail him out.

Phaneuf passes up the puck.

Huge scramble.

Opposing team goes on a rush...

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:

Kaberle
Stempniak
7th Overall

for

Phaneuf
Deal!!!

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:00 AM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
Quote:

Kaberle
Stempniak
7th Overall

for

Phaneuf

nuff said
If I am Sutter...I actually think about that trade..

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
No one (well maybe the select few, but those are the same ones that want to strip Iginla of the 'C') wants to trade him, rumours from Eklund have spawned people into thinking Phaneuf is available.
considering I am the most vocal about stripping Iginla of the "C" I can say you are full of **** since I think trading Phaneuf is a HUGE mistake

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
If I am Sutter...I actually think about that trade..
As much as i like Dion, i dont think i would want to part with both Kaberle and the 1st.
And im not one for overrating Tomas; but the first in this years draft is a big one...in terms of getting a player that could possible help the turn around.

Kaberle, Stempniak, 2010 1st
for
Phaneuf

give us this years draft, and i dont think we will be that much better next year anyways.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
considering I am the most vocal about stripping Iginla of the "C" I can say you are full of **** since I think trading Phaneuf is a HUGE mistake
Calm down. Both those moves (trading Phaneuf, stripping the 'C' off Iginla) make the same amount of sense.. none.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
bam09

Quote:
Calm down. Both those moves (trading Phaneuf, stripping the 'C' off Iginla) make the same amount of sense.. none.
Well something has to be done.... this core hasn't done jack post lockout(4 years).

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:26 PM
ComixZone

Phaneuf won't be traded, neither will Cammalleri's rights because he's testing the open market, so anytime paying something for his rights won't get anything in return until after july 1st...so it makes it a moot deal.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

Id trade our 1st 3rd and Maxim Mayorov for Phaneuf

Last edited by Whaley Klesla 97: 06-01-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Whaley Klesla 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:

Kaberle
Stempniak
7th Overall

for

Phaneuf

nuff said
I can't begin to say how horrible of a deal that is for the Leafs. I am not saying Phaneuf isn't a good player, just saying that would be a huge step back for this team. We essentially trade a dman who is cheaper than Phaneuf, and is better right now. We also give up the 7th which could get us Cowen or Schenn, and would cost close to nothing (in terms of salary). We could also trade Kabs for a 1st and prospect. Leafs are not in a position to make that sort of a deal, or for any other "star" players.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:57 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
I can see it now.

Huge scramble.

Opposing team goes on a rush.

Phaneuf miserably fails on a one on one

Schenn comes to bail him out

After retrieving the puck, Schenn miserably fails at passing it up

Phaneuf comes to bail him out.

Phaneuf passes up the puck.

Huge scramble.

Opposing team goes on a rush...
Might be the funniest post i've seen on here in a while....and if this trade happened a situation that would probably actually occur lol

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT View Post
I can't begin to say how horrible of a deal that is for the Leafs. I am not saying Phaneuf isn't a good player, just saying that would be a huge step back for this team. We essentially trade a dman who is cheaper than Phaneuf, and is better right now. We also give up the 7th which could get us Cowen or Schenn, and would cost close to nothing (in terms of salary). We could also trade Kabs for a 1st and prospect. Leafs are not in a position to make that sort of a deal, or for any other "star" players.
Kaberle isn't better than Phaneuf. Maybe 4 years ago when Phaneuf was in junior. Come on man Phaneuf does everything better than Kaberle.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:17 PM
TheKiller93

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesOwnYou View Post
Kaberle isn't better than Phaneuf. Maybe 4 years ago when Phaneuf was in junior. Come on man Phaneuf does everything better than Kaberle.
rose colored glasses on both sides. ask a fan of neither team who is the better player NOW. could be an interesting poll

TheKiller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:27 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Phaneuf is the more physical player right now... he also has a better shot from the point.

Kaberle is better in every other way right now... he is better in the defensive zone, better at skating the puck out of the zone... better at passing and controlling the puck overall... he's just the more complete - and significantly more intelligent player right now.

Phaneuf still has massive upside and could be a much better player than Kaberle when all is said and done... right now though, IMO, there's little doubt that Kaberle is the better overall dman.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiller93 View Post
rose colored glasses on both sides. ask a fan of neither team who is the better player NOW. could be an interesting poll
You can't make any judgements based on last season. Neither player was all that great.

But, if you asked me who would likely be better next season: Phaneuf will probably rack up more points (certainly more goals), be about 100 times more physical, and be about as effective overall in his own zone (although I admit that is a projection, because Kaberle's smart positioning almost makes up for his lack of a physical game). He'll never have Kaberle's natural vision for playmaking, general hockey intelligence, and overall mobility, but I'd take him over Kaberle any night of the week.

Any, if you ask me which would be the better longterm investment, no comparison there. Kaberle has almost certainly peaked where Phaneuf should only get better.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:56 PM
bananaz

Quote:

Kaberle
Stempniak
7th Overall
for
Phaneuf
i do this instantly as a flames fan. it also gives the flames the room to potentially sign jaybou to a similar deal phaneuf got.

bourque-jokinen-iginla
stempniak-langkow-moss
glencross-conroy-boyd
nystrom-primeau-peters
lundmark

kaberle-jaybou
regehr-sarich
giordano-vandermeer
pardy

kipper
backup

54mil

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Kingjordan

Jack Johnson
Oscar Moller
2010 1st rounder

for

Phaneuf

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
just because you can't grasp something doesn't mean it doesn't make sense... no one is saying Iginla is a poor leader... just saying that maybe Regehr will be a better choice right now and saying maybe a change will be good because whats happening now isn't working... and the problem went far beyond the bench since this is 3 coaches that had disappointing first round losses

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 03:06 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I hope the Leafs acquire Cammalleri's rights. He's implied he wants to play for the Leafs in the past, and I think he would take a hometown discount if the Leafs had exclusive rights...bu there's no way he'd take a discount on July 1st when teams are throwing 6 million/year offers at him.

Didn't the Canucks trade a 2nd for Ryder's rights last summer? They never traded the pick because Ryder didn't sign with them, but I think this whole "trading rights" business may be more expensive that most people think

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiller93 View Post
Dion Phaneuf is the better player today and will be twice the player Kaberle is in two years.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
Dion Phaneuf is the better player today and will be twice the player Kaberle is in two years.
I shall be patiently awaiting for a 120+ point season.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
Jack Johnson
Oscar Moller
2010 1st rounder

for

Phaneuf