HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

'04 draft, 3rd-4th round

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2004, 02:27 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

vCash: 500
'04 draft, 3rd-4th round

I've been keeping an eye on where we will pick at the draft this year, and as of today we are in 20th, and can fall only 2 spots outside of a trade or the team falling apart, as I can'ts see the Isles catching us so I didn't count them although they could.

We have 90 pts, Nucks have 89, Flames 86 pts. Those 2 teams I'm rooting for to win, in case we lose a couple. So for the draft outside a trade, it looks like will draft anywhere from 18th to 30th . But most likely it will be right around 20th, which can land us a very good prospect, imo.

But we don't pick again till the 3rd round. But that's where it gets interesting cause we also have the Sharks 3rd and they are at 23rd for now, so their pick will be right around ours. Then add the Hawks 4th round pick, (since I believe it's our 4th that went to the Wild for Dowd, not the Hawks 4th, a difference of about 16 or so spots). So the 3rd round could look like us picking 80th, 83rd, and 94th. I'd like to see Gainey package these picks to get a 2nd rounder, but if not we still can get some interesting picks.

I've seen a good number of the '04 prospects, so I guess I'm getting ahead of myself since the draft is 3 months away. So root of the Hawks and Sharks to lose every game!

Old
03-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Can you tell us wich prospects would you like to see the Habs draft in the 1st, 2nd(if we could have one), 3rd and 4th round? I don't no much about this year prospects so I would like to have an opinion.

***And with all the depht we have in our prospects, do you think we should go for our needs or with the best player available?***

Thanks...

Old
03-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
So the 3rd round could look like us picking 80th, 83rd, and 94th. I'd like to see Gainey package these picks to get a 2nd rounder,

I could see that happening. Usually in draft terms two fouths gets ya a third, two thirds can get ya a second, two seconds can get a mid to late first, etc.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:16 PM
windycity

Always Draft the Best Player Available

Doesn't make sense to draft for needs when a typical draft player is 2-3 years away from the NHL and who knows what your needs will be then. Worst case, if necessary, you can trade your young players to fill an immediate need.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Dragon

This year's draft pool is shallow, (remember 1996?)
Don't bother anything after the 1st round (maybe even late first round)

Old
03-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity
Doesn't make sense to draft for needs when a typical draft player is 2-3 years away from the NHL and who knows what your needs will be then. Worst case, if necessary, you can trade your young players to fill an immediate need.
What you are saying is right and when you're saying: a typical draft player is 2-3 years away from the NHL and who knows what your needs will be then, it's totally true but in 2-3 years, I see our defence on the right side not really good so this is why, if there's not much difference in the best player available and the player wich would fill a need, I would consider thinking about our needs in the future...specially in a late round.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:38 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
1996 first round was horrible.......but 2nd wasn't (at least for us) : Garon, Bulis, Begin and Dagenais were drafted then...... Only Garon was our pick at that time, but still the draft round whom we have the most players from at the moment!!!

Old
03-24-2004, 03:38 PM
MattScott

Send a message via MSN to MattScott
Quote:
Might have not been the strongest draft, but still, a lot of great players came out of rounds outside of the 1st... Heck we have 4 of the 96 seconds in Bulis, Dags, Begin and Garon. Guys like Chara, Poti, Parrish, Colin White, Eric Belanger, Kvasha, Lydman, Kubina, Tomas Kaberle and Sami Salo all were drafted outside of the 1st in 96. It's all about whether or not your scouts can find the steals, and I believe ours are good enough.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:42 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
1/5 of our team is made-up of post-1st round '96 draft picks. I'll take it.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattScott
Might have not been the strongest draft, but still, a lot of great players came out of rounds outside of the 1st... Heck we have 4 of the 96 seconds in Bulis, Dags, Begin and Garon. Guys like Chara, Poti, Parrish, Colin White, Eric Belanger, Kvasha, Lydman, Kubina, Tomas Kaberle and Sami Salo all were drafted outside of the 1st in 96. It's all about whether or not your scouts can find the steals, and I believe ours are good enough.
= there isn't much difference between a 2nd/3rd/4th/ or so ever...

Old
03-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Well, do you see a difference between Cory Urquhart(2nd round pick) and Danny Stewart(4th round pick)??? I see a BIG difference so yes there's difference between a second and a fourth round pick...

Old
03-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I don't think this is true at all. I've seen a lot of quality in the late first and early second round this year. Many players ranked late first, early second round this year would have gone around the same time in last year's draft, despite the fact that the 2003 draft was one of the strongest drafts of the past decade.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Wow!

Old
03-24-2004, 05:14 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Can you tell us wich prospects would you like to see the Habs draft in the 1st, 2nd(if we could have one), 3rd and 4th round? I don't no much about this year prospects so I would like to have an opinion.

***And with all the depht we have in our prospects, do you think we should go for our needs or with the best player available?***

Thanks...

Some players I would think the Habs take a look at,

1st round, Valabik- Big defensemen that plays a physical game, will drop the gloves, but very raw still. Looks like he needs to adpat to his size and the pick up the play faster. He reminds me slightly of O'Byrne but not as good of skater and maybe more physical.

1st round, Alex Picard- He's having one heck of a start to the playoffs, and has good speed, nice shot and somewhat gritty. I think there will be better choices at around 20th, but he's one I would cetain take a look at.

1st round Bruce Gramham- I have to say I haven't been that high on this guy till I spoke to the head scout of ISS who had many good things to say about Gramham. He's big and skates well, but not that physical for his size, and in the little I've seen of him he seems to be soft in his own end. Still NHL gms will jump for his size/skating as there's not many 18 year olds that big that can skate so well.

1st round Johan Fransson- Not the biggest defensemen or physical, and needs to improve his play in his own end, only from what I've read as I never seen him play about have spoken to one scout about him. Fransson has a good shot at being the SEL rookie of the year, and although he's a year older, he's considered a great skater and nice offensive upside.

1st round David Bolland- Not the biggest guy, but seems very skilled and a hard worker. I'd take a shot on him for sure, but his size is a minor concern.

1st round Drew Stafford- Don't see him opting into the draft, unless the rule is chnanged. He's got a shot at winning the National Championship in his freshman year. Plus I like his chippy game, as he has the skills and plays hard.

1st round David Booth- Depends on where we pick, as it would be a reach at 20th, as we could likely trade down to get him, but I could see him turning into a future PF, as I really like his stride, as he has a powerful skating stride and will take the body while backchecking hard, and has good offensive abilities. His foot speed is the knock against him according to one scout, but I think he's one of the better prospects in this draft that isn't talked about that much. Big, strong, put up good numbers at Michigan St. Too bad we don't have a 2nd, but I don't think he would last to 40ish.

Others like Mike Green, Adam Pineault (doubtful to opt in imo), Kyle Chipchura, just to name a few that we could be looking at in the 1st. Basicly there's a ton of quality prospects in the 1st round for us, as I could name 10 or so more that would be of interest.

In the 2nd round, I know we don't have a pick but Travis Zajac, Kyle Klubertanz (I've only seen him once but was impressed, solid all round defensemen), Paul Stasny, Ryan Garlock, Oscar Hedman, Andy Rogers, I'd be interested in. Klubertanz may fall to the 3rd, but I'd be surprised if he last to 80th or so.

In the 3rd round it gets tougher but there could be a lot of talent left. Casey Borer, Jonathan Siglet (don't think he will opt in), Oreskovich (plays in the USHL, has good size/skating, I'd be very interested in him), Jan Steber, Peter Pohl, Plyuschev (don't know too much about him though), Geoff Paukovich (i've never seen but he's got great size)

Also wanted to add one player i haven't seen but would love to see the Habs get in the mid rounds. Fredrick Naslund, he's a big LW playing the the tier-2 league in Sweden. I've talked to some in Sweden about him, and he sounds like a real sleeper pick, but his size could get him nabbed before the 2nd day.

Last edited by montreal: 03-24-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old
03-24-2004, 05:44 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
1st round Bruce Gramham- I have to say I haven't been that high on this guy till I spoke to the head scout of ISS who had many good things to say about Gramham. He's big and skates well, but not that physical for his size, and in the little I've seen of him he seems to be soft in his own end. Still NHL gms will jump for his size/skating as there's not many 18 year olds that big that can skate so well.
Yeah, Grubb's little brother, still i thought he was gonna be a second rounder though. i know redline has him moving up, but i figured he would be a 2nd round gem
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...woodlief_x.htm

Old
03-24-2004, 05:48 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
Yeah, Grubb's little brother, still i thought he was gonna be a second rounder though. i know redline has him moving up, but i figured he would be a 2nd round gem
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...woodlief_x.htm

One scout I talked with says he thinks Gramham may go top 15 if he does well in the playoffs. I can see him going top 25 for sure. NHL gms won't let that size skating go by. The scout even went as far as to name several teams that are interested in Gramham which will push up where he drives.

Old
03-24-2004, 05:57 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
One scout I talked with says he thinks Gramham may go top 15 if he does well in the playoffs. I can see him going top 25 for sure. NHL gms won't let that size skating go by. The scout even went as far as to name several teams that are interested in Gramham which will push up where he drives.
With his size and speed though, he probably will not be around once we make our pick, although it would be nice to have a very large player in our system.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Dragon

You are talking about a deep draft in 2003. This year's draft pool is shallow. It's totally another story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Well, do you see a difference between Cory Urquhart(2nd round pick) and Danny Stewart(4th round pick)??? I see a BIG difference so yes there's difference between a second and a fourth round pick...

Closed Thread