HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2004 draft??

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
habdicted

vCash: 500
2004 draft??

I know its a little early but what do you think montreals biggest needs are in the upcoming draft and what player do you think they'll take with their pick??

Old
03-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdicted
I know its a little early but what do you think montreals biggest needs are in the upcoming draft and what player do you think they'll take with their pick??
I dont know what players exactly, but i think in the 1st round they should go after another D(right handed if possible) and in the 2nd round a big Centre(thats if they still have a second pick left).

Either way we need more D in our system, espicially righ handed ones. We have more than enough forwards to develope, over the net few years.

Old
03-16-2004, 04:52 PM
felixd

They'll take the best player available...

Sorry for my little smartass comment, but that is the strategy we should follow. We tried to pick by need in the 90's and it didn't work out too good(Ryan, Matt Higgins anyone?).

Old
03-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd

Sorry for my little smartass comment, but that is the strategy we should follow. We tried to pick by need in the 90's and it didn't work out too good(Ryan, Matt Higgins anyone?).
Your not being a smart ass at all. You make a excellent point.

So what number will we draft in the first round do you guys think?

And whos avalaible at that number? I hope hes BIG!

Old
03-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I think Swedish defenseman Johan Fransson could be Montreal's first round pick. They were going to draft him last year if he opted in and this year he has had a real good season. Another team could select Fransson ahead of Montreal though or a player like Green or Picard could slide.

The third round I think they will take a few projects like Statsny or Graham. I would also take Martin Houle late in the draft. He could be a gem

Old
03-16-2004, 05:02 PM
DiscoStu9

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd

That's the best thing to do. Take the best player available in the early rounds and as the draft goes on base it alittle toward what positional players you need.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Jonas Fransson

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=70757

Old
03-16-2004, 05:03 PM
felixd

I would love it if we got Alex Picard, he's my cousin!

Just kidding, but I have a cousin named Alex Picard.

BTW 1000th post, Habs board here rules!!!

Old
03-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Rahan

We'll probably have a pick around the 20th pick, so we won't get a franchise player. I'll wait until I know more about the 2004 top prospects to say who I'd like.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Here Is my top 5 player I think could be available when MTL pick

1)Adam Pineault(If he Is still there when MTL pick,even If I doubt It,Im Sure MTL will take a serious look at him)
2)Alexander Radulov(Verry talented guy who Impressed me alot)
3)Johan Franson(Prettysure he could be available when we pick)
4)Carl Soderberg(IMO He is one of the most underrated player In the draft)
5)Lauri Tukonen(Even If I HIGHLY Doubt he will be available when we pick,I think he could be a great player)

EDIT:My favorite In this package would be Carl Soderberg,I really think he have something special,but It's just a felling im probably wrong,but who know??

Old
03-16-2004, 05:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I have been doing a lot of reading and watching of the '04's plus I've spoken with the head scout of ISS a few times about this draft (and other drafts, he's a Hab fan )

One thing that's very important is the NCAA ruling is due out soon. They are trying to change the rule that will have a major effect on this draft. Several highly skilled prospects won't be in this draft unless the rule is changed. If not and they don't opt in (which I would bet most won't opt in) next years draft could be better then last years draft which was very deep to begin with.

Guys like AJ Thelen (who I think very highly of and would love to see the Habs select), Wes O'Neil, Al Montaya, Hensick, Siglet, Stafford (who I also like a lot), Pineault (good size), would all be out of the draft most likely unless the rule is changed. This will have a big effect on the draft, imo.

As for who we should take, Boris Valabik is one guy I like a lot. Picard I like as well, but I think there will be several good picks when we are up which should be around 20th. I can't wait.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Doubtful Adam Pineault will opt in. Some say he is overrated. His footwork is not close to NHL level

Old
03-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
Here Is my top 5 player I think could be available when MTL pick

1)Adam Pineault(If he Is still there when MTL pick,even If I doubt It,Im Sure MTL will take a serious look at him)
2)Alexander Radulov(Verry talented guy who Impressed me alot)
3)Johan Franson(Prettysure he could be available when we pick)
4)Carl Soderberg(IMO He is one of the most underrated player In the draft)
5)Lauri Tukonen(Even If I HIGHLY Doubt he will be available when we pick,I think he could be a great player)

EDIT:My favorite In this package would be Carl Soderberg,I really think he have something special,but It's just a felling im probably wrong,but who know??
Ya ive heard great things about Lauri Tukonen, but like you say our chances of getting him are very slim.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Ya ive heard great things about Lauri Tukonen, but like you say our chances of getting him are very slim.
Yah that's what I tough,Do you think he could go In the top 10???

Old
03-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
As for who we should take, Boris Valabik is one guy I like a lot. Picard I like as well, but I think there will be several good picks when we are up which should be around 20th. I can't wait.
I like Valabik quite a bit better than Picard. Actually, I see Picard as a high risk to be a bust. He is not really a power forward and his skating style is suspect. I would select him but not until late first round at the earliest.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Yah that's what I tough,Do you think he could go In the top 10???

I think he has a chance, because he is a winger with decent size. But im no expert so dont take my word for it.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Belarus Rocket

Hey guys,I was watching the CSS Mid Term Ranking List and was searching for Kevin Maillot(sp) but did not find him,did he opt out????

Old
03-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
I think he has a chance, because he is a winger with decent size. But im no expert so dont take my word for it.
hihi

Old
03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Mooch

http://canoe.ca/Slam031230/chl_scout-can.html

According to this article he could go top ten. They rank him as numer 7.

RW Lauri Tukonen (#7, Espoo Blues, Finland, 6'2", 195 lbs), described as "the jewel of the Finnish 2004 draft crop" because of his great offensive skills and willingness to get physical

I would love to have this guy

Old
03-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
http://canoe.ca/Slam031230/chl_scout-can.html

According to this article he could go top ten. They rank him as numer 7.

RW Lauri Tukonen (#7, Espoo Blues, Finland, 6'2", 195 lbs), described as "the jewel of the Finnish 2004 draft crop" because of his great offensive skills and willingness to get physical

I would love to have this guy

Nice THX,I would love to get him too :p

Old
03-16-2004, 05:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Hey guys,I was watching the CSS Mid Term Ranking List and was searching for Kevin Maillot(sp) but did not find him,did he opt out????

he's dropped a lot since last year. Lack of confidence, imo. But some team should take a shot on him for sure.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
he's dropped a lot since last year. Lack of confidence, imo. But some team should take a shot on him for sure.

Ok thx alot,I heard He already had 6 concusion In Is career and He Is only playing In the Q so Imagine In the NHL

Old
03-16-2004, 05:31 PM
NWT Habs Fan

X-Sharkie did a mock draft over on the prospects board yesterday, and there are some pretty good write-ups on all the players he thinks will go in the first round. Give it a read.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=62360

Based on that list, the Habs could be looking at: Lisin, Salmonsson, Smid, Bolland, Valabik, Kaspar, or Soderberg.

They will pick the B.P.A. at that time, but these all look like pretty good prospects. I guess the impact of the NCAA ruling that Dan was talking about could have a huge impact, as a number of those NCAA guys are in the top 15 and would move some of these players above out of our touch as they would be picked already. Soderberg intrigues me...CSB had him 14th for European skaters at mid-term, but his stock seems to be rising in some camps.

Old
03-16-2004, 06:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
X-Sharkie did a mock draft over on the prospects board yesterday, and there are some pretty good write-ups on all the players he thinks will go in the first round. Give it a read.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=62360

Based on that list, the Habs could be looking at: Lisin, Salmonsson, Smid, Bolland, Valabik, Kaspar, or Soderberg.

They will pick the B.P.A. at that time, but these all look like pretty good prospects. I guess the impact of the NCAA ruling that Dan was talking about could have a huge impact, as a number of those NCAA guys are in the top 15 and would move some of these players above out of our touch as they would be picked already. Soderberg intrigues me...CSB had him 14th for European skaters at mid-term, but his stock seems to be rising in some camps.
Fransson should be right there as well, just going off Savard's comments from last year. Then there's Bruce Graham who looks like a great pick as well. Bolland I like as well David Booth but not at 20th or so. Too bad there's no 2nd rounder for us.

Smid is one guy I'm not sold on, as well as Mike Green and Evan McGrath (who I like but not in the 1st round)

Old
03-16-2004, 06:44 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Fransson should be right there as well, just going off Savard's comments from last year.
Yeah, he was hoping this kid would opt in last year, as they did speak to him. Apparently he is holding his own in the SEL. As a prospect that is a year older than most in the draft, it will be curious to see how he ranks this year against younger prospects who are one year behind in development. I leave that up to great drafting minds like Savard and Timmins to wrestle with.

Closed Thread