HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rick Nash

Old
05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Rick Nash

As tough as it is to write this, it needs to be asked. Columbus is losing money, can't afford to pay the rent on their building, and one solution is to trim payroll. We know it's not the right decision, but it's a definite possibility.

Assuming the team doesn't have the cash to re-sign Rick Nash, and trying to avoid a Gaborik or J-Bo situation, What would his trade value be this off-season with a year left on his contract?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
As tough as it is to write this, it needs to be asked. Columbus is losing money, can't afford to pay the rent on their building, and one solution is to trim payroll. We know it's not the right decision, but it's a definite possibility.

Assuming the team doesn't have the cash to re-sign Rick Nash, and trying to avoid a Gaborik or J-Bo situation, What would his trade value be this off-season with a year left on his contract?
What interests you from the Sharks.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Kingjordan

This Guy I would love to see on the Kings he would be a perfect fit... not really sure what it would take to get him in a Kings uniform...

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
What interests you from the Sharks.
Boyle, but we wouldn't be able to afford him either...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
WestCoast

Thornton/Nash reunion sounds good to me.

WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Don Nachbaur 26

Unlike most Flyers fans on here, I don't want to see the team get rid of JVR. However if it meant getting Nash I would definately trade him off then. I'm interested to see what other Flyers fans come up with regards to a deal centered around Nash.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:58 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I would give you Frolov, Johnson, Hickey and our 1st

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Cocomero*

Bieksa and Hodgson for Nash.....

Nuck fans are gonna kill me here.

Cocomero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Nash is a player that the Kings should look at if he is available.

I wonder how many teams have the cap space / assets to take make such a deal.

Columbus would probably ask for Doughty, but that ain't happening.

Start with Johnson, Moller, and the #5 pick overall and see where the talks go from there I guess.

Unlike some teams, the Kings best assets are cheap in terms of salary, so they could have the inside track on a deal like this if the OP's assumption that Columbus has to trim salary and at the same time get some value back in a trade is correct.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

there's no way you trade Nash... if they are that hurting financially that they can't retain Nash, then you have to consider relocation for a franchise like that....

they've been out of the playoffs forever and just made it for the 1st time this year... now that they finally have a solid group of young talent to build with and have actually improved overall as a team to the point they are on their way to being a contender, trading Nash would be a huge blow to the franchise overall.

I think they need to get closer to contention and re-sign Nash... you deal Modin and Torres if you have to... hell you waive Huselius before you consider dealing Nash.

trading Nash is the absolute last thing that a franchise in Columbus' situation should be doing right now... not only does it take them a step back after rebuilding for so many years, it sends the wrong message to a market where their hockey team is losing money... you want to retain your franchise player and keep taking those steps closer to being a contender... that's the only way you'll recover financially over the longterm.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Rickety Cricket

I'm terrible at this, so odds on this is going to be a bad proposal

Michalek, Couture, 1st 2010, 2nd 2009.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:27 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 View Post
Unlike most Flyers fans on here, I don't want to see the team get rid of JVR. However if it meant getting Nash I would definately trade him off then. I'm interested to see what other Flyers fans come up with regards to a deal centered around Nash.

Well, I'm not in the "Trade JVR" camp and in fact I pretty much refuse any trade proposal for him.

Here you go, JVR is said to be very similar to Rich Nash, it's been said that this is most likely what we can expectfrom him in his developement. Accepting this to be true, since Nash has laready reached that level of play, he's worth more than JVR. Me, I think that Nash's value would be a teams top prospect and a 1st. So from the Flyers it would be JVR + 2010 1st (since you said it would happen this off-season which likely means that unless it's a draft day deal then it would be for 2010 picks. I think you could substitute the 1st with a good young roster player or prospect who is has 2nd line or 2nd pairing potential (and probably reaching it) and a later pick (2nd or 3rd depending on how good the player/prospect was). From the Flyers, this alternant trade would be JVR + Marshall + 2010 3rd. I REALLY REALLY like Marshal and am looking forward to seeing him in the O&B in 2 years on our 2nd pairing but that's what I thnk would be fair for Nash.

Now, I personally wouldn't trade for Nash because we just don't have the cap space to have him on the roster. I'll be happy to wait a few years on JVR to develop and become a 1st line winger. More than we need another great player like Nash, the Flyers need to keep their cheaper young players.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:29 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I would give you Frolov, Johnson, Hickey and our 1st
That's a HUGE package. I don't think there is any way in hell your GM offers that much. If I'm CBJ's GM I write up those trade papers and fax them over to you quickly before you can change your mind. I'd take that and never feel sorry for trading Nash if I'm CBJ.

Old
05-29-2009, 02:30 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
there's no way you trade Nash... if they are that hurting financially that they can't retain Nash, then you have to consider relocation for a franchise like that....

they've been out of the playoffs forever and just made it for the 1st time this year... now that they finally have a solid group of young talent to build with and have actually improved overall as a team to the point they are on their way to being a contender, trading Nash would be a huge blow to the franchise overall.

I think they need to get closer to contention and re-sign Nash... you deal Modin and Torres if you have to... hell you waive Huselius before you consider dealing Nash.

trading Nash is the absolute last thing that a franchise in Columbus' situation should be doing right now... not only does it take them a step back after rebuilding for so many years, it sends the wrong message to a market where their hockey team is losing money... you want to retain your franchise player and keep taking those steps closer to being a contender... that's the only way you'll recover financially over the longterm.
Good post per usual.

I will ask you this question though. What if Nash doesn't extend this summer? To me that is the point I consider moving Nash as it will send a strong signal he does not intend to resign as I believe Howson will offer what it takes.

What should have been a summer to reflect on major steps finally taken by this franchise and to build off it for next year could end up being the biggest mess in the NHL offseason. Ugh.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:30 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post

I think that's about fair, it's about equal to what I offered from the Flyers.

Old
05-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Now, I personally wouldn't trade for Nash because we just don't have the cap space to have him on the roster.
This.

Nash is worth a boatload, but the Flyers simply don't have the means to add another large cap hit. We'd have to send at least as much salary the other way to even consider it, and most likely we'd have to shed salary in any deal.

If Nash is being moved for financial concerns (which I doubt), then the Flyers do not make good trading partners because of our cap situation.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Hurt

I'm sure all these trades are contingent on Nash signing a contract extension.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Good post per usual.

I will ask you this question though. What if Nash doesn't extend this summer? To me that is the point I consider moving Nash as it will send a strong signal he does not intend to resign as I believe Howson will offer what it takes.

What should have been a summer to reflect on major steps finally taken by this franchise and to build off it for next year could end up being the biggest mess in the NHL offseason. Ugh.
obviously if he isn't willing to re-sign you have to consider moving him - but that's a deadline type deal - and usually at the deadline the return for such assets is higher than you can get during the off-season... my argument though was based on having to move Nash because of financial concerns ... no team in the NHL should be in a position where they're forced to move their franchise player regardless of money - there is always going to be enough salary tied up in secondary players that it makes much more sense to cut in those areas.... but again, if Nash wants out - or if he's unwilling to sign an extension, that changes things.

Nash, however, has been in Columbus since being drafted, and the team has made obvious improvements and have been heading in the right direction... I think that Nash will be able to see that. Mason should get stronger, and his supporting cast is another year older and experienced, and guys like Brassard, Voracek and Filatov should all contribute more moving forward.

I think Columbus has done what's needed to convince Nash to re-sign... a competitive team that he's still the franchise player of... players like this should really only be moved if they want out or if you can't retain them - and that's something that's easy to justify to your market as well... but to cut for financial reasons when there's salary in other areas that makes so much more sense to cut, isn't something you can sell the market, nor the team.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:58 PM
seanlinden

There's no way the Jackets can afford to trade Nash.... he's their lifeblood. But, if he somehow did become available, and I'm Toronto; I offer up Kaberle, Tlusty, Stralman, Grabovski and a 2nd round pick for Nash + Columbus' 2011 First Round pick if Nash leaves as a UFA.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

Then why is there still a team there if you can't pay rent on the building!

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 03:25 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
There's no way the Jackets can afford to trade Nash.... he's their lifeblood. But, if he somehow did become available, and I'm Toronto; I offer up Kaberle, Tlusty, Stralman, Grabovski and a 2nd round pick for Nash + Columbus' 2011 First Round pick if Nash leaves as a UFA.
And I'm sure they laugh at you... if there trading Nash cause they can't afford him why would they want salary coming back?.. Try your 09 1st, Schenn and a good prospect for Nash

Old
05-29-2009, 03:31 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post

Hodgson wouldn't be in any trades we can't afford to lose him or Kesler so I don't see any huge trades for the Nucks maybe Luongo if we can't re-sign other then that the best thing we have to offer is Schneider and Bieksa if Luongo is re-signed and Blue Jackets don't need Schneider.

Old
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Joey Moss

Gilbert, Cogliano, 10th and Nash (the other one)

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 05:13 PM
OilCanada92

What interest you from the Oilers. Apparently you can't have Hemsky,Gagner, and Petry

And! Scott Howson and Oilers are BFF's!

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 05:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Gilbert, Cogliano, 10th and Nash (the other one)
The Kings can top that with ease.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote