HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2009-10 Manitoba Bisons Hockey Thread

Old
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Herd On The Brink

March 5, 2010

HERD ON THE BRINK OF ELIMINATION

MANITOBA BISONS 2
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5

(Saskatchewan leads best-of-three series 1-0)
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CIS BOXSCORE]
|> [C.W. STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY]

A bad start did the Bisons in. It took only 28 seconds for the Huskies to score. By 3 minutes it was 2-0. The Bisons were able to mount a comeback and for the most part controlled the 2nd and 3rd periods. The Bison goals both came from the blueline with Chad Erb and Kip Workman scoring. Kyle Howarth was injured on a high stick. There was no penalty on the play but he was taken to hospital. We'll see what line-up changes the Bisons might make. I am not sure if Riley Dudar is playable.

If you have a lap-top I would suggest tuning into game 2 whilst watching Hockey Night in Canada on TV. The Bisons will technically be the home team for game 2. If game 3 is necessary then the Huskies will go back to being the home team.

ELSEWHERE:

CALGARY DINOSAURS 2
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5

(Alberta leads best-of-three series 1-0)
|> [C.W. STORY] ~ [U OF A STORY]

The Wild Rose series went the Evil Monkeys' way in game 1. It was 3-2 after the 1st and then calmed down with very few shots by either side in the last 2 periods. The Dinos will be facing elimination tonight.

OUA East final:

UQTR PATRIOTES 4
MCGILL REDMEN 7

McGill wins best-of-three series 2-0.
|> [MAR 5 LEAGUE STAT SUMMARY]

McGill is now assured of a berth in the nationals. But since Lakehead is hosting this year, UQTR still has a chance. If Lakehead defeats Western Ontario (they lead 1-0) then UQTR and UWO would play for the 6th place in the tournament. However, if UWO wins the OUA West then they will qualify and Lakehead will settle for their host berth.

NEXT UP: WOMEN'S PLAY:

• MANITOBA BISONS 0
    ALBERTA PANDAS 2

|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET]
    |> [U OF M STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY]

These teams were extremely d-oriented in this one. They combined for only 33 SOG. In fact, Manitoba had only 2 SOG in the 2nd, and Alberta had only 2 in the 3rd. Manitoba's starting goaltender Stacy Corfield remains on the DL. But if they can't score it won't matter. Last year the Bisons won the ladies' title. They need a weekend sweep to replicate that feat.
BOOKMARKS:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 03-06-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:50 PM
TOG26

vCash: 500
Last nights Bears vs Dino's game was a mess with multiple goalie bumps and I believe both Calgary goaltenders ended up getting injured or at least bumped around alot. Will be interesting to see what transpires tonight.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:53 PM
thook

its too bad that SSN does not provide video for these games and just the audio. I would be very interested in catching some of the games from this series.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
its too bad that SSN does not provide video for these games and just the audio. I would be very interested in catching some of the games from this series.
The way things are going I believe that all teams will have games available for live and archived viewing in a very short time.

Old
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Rob

So both Calgary and Manitoba are considered the home teams for game 2.
Do they actually switch benches or do they just get last change?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:38 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So both Calgary and Manitoba are considered the home teams for game 2.
Do they actually switch benches or do they just get last change?
Just changes. Would never work in Edmonton with the screwed up bench alignment. One bench on each side of the ice.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Bisons Split Yet Again

March 6, 2010

BISONS PULL EVEN ... GAME THREE SUNDAY

MANITOBA BISONS 4
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2

(Best-of-three series tied 1-1)
|> [C.W. STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY (not active as I post)]

I caught most of the game on the U of S Webcast. While the 2nd period encountered significant transmission problems, I did get a good sense of the action. The Bisons led 2-1 after the 1st period on a pair of goals by Jered Walker. Kyle Bortis relied for Sask. On the Bortis goal Steve Christie appeared injured. But after some medical attention he continued on, and played a strong game.

The Bisons gained strength as the game went on. The 2nd period was mostly their's, as was the 3rd. There was no scoring in the 2nd. But Greg Beller and Rick Wood scored 3rd period goals to give the team an insurmountable lead. A PP goal by Steve Gillen allowed the Banjodogs to make the scoreline look respectable.

In a unique twist, the Bisons were deemed to be the home team and wore their home whites. I also heard that they were allowed to import electricity, post-game showers, and soap for the event. We'll see if the Saskatchewanites are able to recover from a day with this new-fangled additions to their simple land.

Kyle Howarth did not dress for the Bisons after being injured on Friday. Riley Dudar dressed in his place.

Game 3 goes Sunday at 7:00 p.m. I recommend the webcast. Even if it cuts out on occasion there is live chat with several Bison fans available.

ELSEWHERE:

CALGARY DINOSAURS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3

(Alberta wins best-of-three series 2-0)
|> [C.W. STORY (link not active as I post)] ~ [U OF A STORY]

After one goaltender was hurt and another suspended on Friday, Calgary had to dress and start Nathan Deobald in net. He did well. It was 1-1 late in the 3rd when the Evil Monkeys scored the winner, followed by an empty-netter. Next weekend, Alberta will host the Man-Sask winner.

OUA West final:

WESTERN ONTARIO MUSTANGS 2
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 5

Lakehead wins best-of-three series 2-0.
|> [MAR 6 LEAGUE STAT SUMMARY]

Lakehead earned a spot in the nationals by winning the OUA West tonight. The twist here is that as host team they already had a spot. So The Urban Cowboys are lucky losers. And UQTR gets a new lease on life after having lost out on Friday. Next weekend a special playoff will be held between UQTR and Western Ontario for the OUA's host position in the nationals.

NEXT UP: WOMEN'S PLAY:

• MANITOBA BISONS 2
    ALBERTA PANDAS 3

(in overtime)
    Alberta wins series 2-0.
    |> [U OF M STORY] ~ [C.W. STORY]

The Pandas scored in the last minute to tie the game and then won it in OT. This reverses last year's final, won by Manitoba. Tough loss for the Bison Broads. They cannot make nationals as runner-up this year.
BOOKMARKS:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 03-06-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old
03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Some links have been updated or added overnight, so here's the update:

MANITOBA-SASKATCHEWAN
|> [C.W. STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY] ~ [U OF S WEBCAST]

Jered Walker had 2 goals.

CALGARY-ALBERTA
|> [C.W. STORY] ~ [U OF A STORY]

Old
03-07-2010, 11:53 AM
AUS Fan

Where did Alberta get those ugly sweaters?

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Where did Alberta get those ugly sweaters?
They only wear them at home so I have never seen them. They wear dark green away.

Old
03-07-2010, 12:49 PM
AUS Fan

I guess I'll see them up close when they're in T-Bay.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Bisons Win! Bisons Win! Bisons Win!

March 7, 2010

BISONS WIN! BISONS WIN! BISONS WIN!

MANITOBA BISONS 5
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 1

(Manitoba wins best-of-three series 2-1)
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CIS BOXSCORE (url may change)]
|> [C.W. STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY (url may change)]

What a game! The Bisons are on their way to the University Cup!

I followed on the U of S webcast and it was a blast. I was able to chat with other Bison fans and other CIS fans from coast to coast while the game was on. I hope this is added to the U of M next year. It would also be nice to use for other leagues as well, even the NHL. I digress ...

The 3 games in 3 nights format puts a premium on utilizing all of one's roster, and that the Bisons did. While the Bisons can roll 4 lines, the Huskies rely on their big gunners. And they seemed to have run out of gas. The Bison goals tonight were mostly from the slot in situations where the Huskies failed to play the body, both in front of net and in the small corners of The Rutherford.

The Macaulay-Walker-Dittmer line was on fire all weekend. And they notched the only goal of the 1st period, when Macaulay cashed in. Play was fairly even, although the Bisons seemed to be more "in control".

The 2nd period was the decider. Several penalties were called. The only time Sask generated offence was when they had the PP. Otherwise it was all Bisons. After the Bisons killed their penalties (the Huskies had a 5-1 PP edge at one point) they cashed in two goals when the Banjodogs were punished. Mike Hellyer and Blair Macaulay had two goals each in the period.

The 3rd period was fairly uneventful until a last minute "brawl" (where the Bisons fastidiously avoided getting any fighting majors) came about when the Banjodogs were thoroughly frustrated with the turn of events.

I have to point out, too, that Steve Christie stopped 33 of 34 shots on goal on the night.

All-in-all, the Bison PP went 2-for-7 whilst the Banjodogs went 1-for-11.

Next weekend the Herd will be off to Edmontown to face the Evil Monkeys. The teams have split 4 games this year. The two games in Winnipeg were some of the best hockey I have seen this year, including AHL and NHL hockey. I won't be able to go to Edmontown, but maybe Thunder Bay! I doubt I could do it but a chance to see the Bisons in Thunder Bay sounds awfully appealing. Manitoba and Alberta know they will be joined by Lakehead and McGill.

BTW, this puts to an end the streak of Alberta-Saskatchewan finals going back to about 1996.

ELSEWHERE:

ST. FRANCIS-XAVIER X-MEN 1
ST. MARY'S HUSKIES 7

(SMU leads best-of-five series 1-0)
|> [MAR 7 CIS BOXSCORE]

St. Mary's are on a roll. They crushed Acadia 9-2 in game 4 of their series, and now this. St. FX must have blown their wad against UNB.

NEXT UP:
  • March 9 5:00 CST St. Mary's at St. FX [VIDEO]
    March 12 8:30 CST Manitoba at Alberta [WEBCAST - AUDIO]
    March 13 8:30 CST Manitoba at Alberta [WEBCAST - AUDIO]
    March 13 TBD Lakehead at McGill
    March 13 TBD Western Ontario at UQTR
    March 14 8:00 CST Manitoba at Alberta [WEBCAST - AUDIO] (if necessary)
    March 15 5:00 CST St. FX at St. Mary's
    March 17 5:00 CST St. Mary's at St. FX [VIDEO]] (if necessary)
    March 19 5:00 CST St. FX at St. Mary's (if necessary)
    March 25-28 TBD UNIVERSITY CUP AT THUNDER BAY
BOOKMARKS:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 03-07-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Bob Stauffer

CW Finals Run

Hollywood,

FYI...Alberta hosted the Bisons in the 2000-01 Canada West Final.
Alberta, who were then two-time defending National Champions, swept that series in two straight games winning 3-1 and 5-1, and headed to the University Cup with a 40-1-2 record.
Since then Alberta had hosted Saskatchewan in eight straight Conference Finals a streak that has now been snapped by the Bisons.

Stauffer

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Information Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
Hollywood,

FYI...Alberta hosted the Bisons in the 2000-01 Canada West Final.
Alberta, who were then two-time defending National Champions, swept that series in two straight games winning 3-1 and 5-1, and headed to the University Cup with a 40-1-2 record.
Since then Alberta had hosted Saskatchewan in eight straight Conference Finals a streak that has now been snapped by the Bisons.

Stauffer
Thanks for the info. BTW, is there a good source for historical standings and playoff results? The CW site has a link for Canada West Standings History, but it does not have GPAC standings nor playoff results. It also has a "year in review" link for most years, but 2001, 2002 and the 90s are missing.

Also, the U of S has updated their Game Story, which reduces "the streak" from 16 years to 9 years. Yesterday's quote, still active as I post in the Canada West Game Story, says:

Quote:
For the first time in 16 years, the University of Alberta Golden Bears will have a new opponent in the Canada West final.

A 5-1 Game 3 victory gave the University of Manitoba Bisons the 2-1 win in a best-of-three semifinal series. The win earned Manitoba a trip to the Canada West Final against the Golden Bears, who knocked out the University of Calgary Dinos in two-straight games in the other conference semifinal, and to the University Cup in Thunderbay, Ont. March 25-28.
Today's quote (which is also in the U of M Game Story) says:

Quote:
For the first time in nine years, the University of Alberta Golden Bears will have a new opponent in the Canada West Final.

A 5-1 Game 3 victory gave the University of Manitoba Bisons the 2-1 win in a best-of-three semifinal series. The win earned Manitoba a trip to the Canada West Final against the Golden Bears, who knocked out the University of Calgary Dinos in two-straight games in the other conference semifinal, and to the University Cup in Thunderbay, Ont. March 25-28. It is the first playoff series, the Huskies have lost on home ice in 17 playoff series at home.
I did dig through the now archived Bob Adams site (which covers 1996-2009), and found this summary of the 2001 playoffs.

Any way you look at it, the Bison upset of Sask brings an end to a couple of exceptionally long streaks. Here's hoping that fans in Calgary, Lethbridge, regina, and UBC can experience this from their teams in the not-too-distant future.

Old
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Bob Stauffer

Hollywood.

Love your passion and I wish I saw more of it around the Canada West.
The inconsistency in the Canada West stats on the Conference site should be a major embarassment, but alas non one cares!
From an AD and SID perspective it has been all about the lowest common denominater!
Canada West hockey had the best statistician in the CIS in Steve Knowles who put together detailed stats that date back to the inception of hockey at the Canada West level.
Steve helped boost interest accross the country by helping start up a media top ten, etc.
But he also created a problem because his standard was higher than what the Conference SID's and Ad's were prepared to deliver.
He did things like have a Conference player of the week, but that led to jealousy from other sports, who did not have one.
He released All-Stars and Major Award winners seperately in March to help build interest in the sport at the Conference level but this again created jealously from other sports and headaches from the SID's who must serve their masters (volleyball and basketball coaches, etc.).
So the Canada West fazed Steve out, and dumped even more on David Bandla who is the Conference statistician for the other sports...
End result schools don't have Knowles as a resource anymore after 25+ years and send false information in their releases.

Stauffer

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
Hollywood.

Love your passion and I wish I saw more of it around the Canada West.
The inconsistency in the Canada West stats on the Conference site should be a major embarassment, but alas non one cares!
From an AD and SID perspective it has been all about the lowest common denominater! ....
I just don't see why it would be so hard to get each year's information up once and the way the internet is now it would be there forever. For fans and media who do research it would be so easy. I can see where individual stats etc. would take forever to compile. But league standings and playoff results should be somewhere. I remember looking up old world hockey data from microfilm at a library almost 30 years ago. Even the Adams site could be compiled.

BTW, the stats before they went to LeagueStats for hockey should be retrieved. Those links, and the ones to the former CIS site, are all dead now.

Old
03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
blackmarketmob

Slow reply from me on this one, but a really big win for the Bisons. At the beginning of the year, with Manitoba playing so well and teams like Saskatchewan struggling, it would not have been out of the ordinary for Manitoba to make it to the CIS cup. However, down the stretch Manitoba played rather poorly and Saskatchewan was playing great, add that with all 3 games played in Saskatchewan, a pretty big series win for Manitoba. With some of the usual suspects gone, I am looking forward alot to the finals in Thunder Bay.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

C.w. Final Mega-preview

C.W. FINAL MEGA-PREVIEW

MANITOBA BISONS
(16-10-2, 34 points, 3rd place, #4 in OHT34)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS
(23-4-1, 47 points, 1st place, #1 in OHT34)

FRIDAY, MARCH 12TH @ 8:30 CST [SSN WEBCAST]
SATURDAY, MARCH 13TH @ 8:30 CST [SSN WEBCAST]
SUNDAY, MARCH 14TH @ 8:00 CST [SSN WEBCAST]
AT EDMONTON, ALBERTA

The games I saw between these two teams were some of the best hockey I have seen this year in any league. The Evil Monkeys are used to being in this situation and should be able to deliver a good performance. The Bisons could go any way. They might go on a roll and shock the Monkeys, or they might be happy with their trip to the nationals and overlook this one.

At this point, there is an audio-only webcast on SSN scheduled for each game. Hopefully they will add some video, so stay tuned. Since I will be at the Moose game on Friday night I will be checking for updated scores on League Stat, as I am prone to do.

The winner of the game will be assured of a top 3 seeding at the nationals. In fact, the Evil Monkeys will get the #1 seed if they win. The two teams would also be seeded into opposite pools.

The Evil Monkeys have won so many hockey titles (13 national and 47 conference titles) that the rest of the league is shocked when somebody else wins. If the Bisoins win they can expect congratulations to flow from across the league. In fact, since the Bisons' last finals appearance in 2001 (when they lost 2-0 to Alberta) every final has been Sask at Alberta. And Alberta won all but one of those. The Bisons have won two CW titles (1920 and 1965) and four GPAC titles (1976, 1977, 1984, 1985) when the conference was split in two, along with one national title.

While the Evil Monkeys' history is impressive, and they are currently ranked #1 nationally, they have shown to be vulnerable this year. I don't see them walking through the Bisons and the field at the nationals. They could very well win it all, but it won't be easy.

WEEKEND LINKS: MORE SEMI-FINAL STORIES:
  • GoBisons.ca: Mayba and Christie are Smittyís Bison Sports Athletes of the Week - The headline tells it all. No surprise.

The Sheaf: Dogs get downed at Rutherford Rink - Here's a quote:
    Quote:
    Rutherford Rink has nothing going for itself, especially following the menís Huskies weekend semi-final trouncing.

The much-maligned rink on campus, with its fossil-like construct and generally seedy appearance, boasts more critics than it can seat spectators. Yet, for all the rust that randomly falls from the ceiling, or cries to have the 81-year-old facility replaced, it has always been a playoff dynamo: the Saskatchewan menís hockey team had never lost in their previous 17 post-season series.

But this past weekend the Manitoba Bisons brought shame to the resident Huskies in the form of yet another premature playoffs departure.

The Star Phoenix: Bisons turn the tide on Huskies - here's a quote:
    Quote:
    The University Manitoba Bisons accomplished something no other team managed to do this season -- beat the University of Saskatchewan Huskies on home ice in regulation.

Not once, but twice.

"They came in our barn and won twice -- all the credit to them," said a sombre U of S coach Dave Adolph after watching the Bisons rally from a one-game-to-none deficit to take their best-of-three Canada West semifinal series 2-1 with a 5-1 win Sunday night before a stunned Dog House.

"You battle all year for home-ice advantage and it doesn't happen very often in our league that, in a situation like that, a visiting team comes in and wins two games."

WHL.ca: Canada West Update - A quick briefing of the semi-final series, focused on WHL grads.

WHL Grad of the Month: C.W. SITE : CIS SITE - It goes to Dino goalie Dustin Butler.

CJOB.com: Bison men's hockey team beat Sask. 5-1 in best-of-3 semi-final series - This is the game story posted from the U of S.
FINAL PREVIEW STORIES:
  • The Winnipeg Sun: First Canada West title since í65 within Bisonsí sight - Jim Bender's article previews the final and recaps the semi. It talks a lot about goaltending. Yes, it is key. But same can be said for Alberta if they want to win.
    Quote:
    While Sirant called it a team victory, the Bisons probably could not have won the best-of-three series over Saskatchewan without the superb play of veteran goalie Steve Christie.

ďThe key in any league in playoffs is goaltending and we got that in Steve Christie,Ē said Sirant.

Christie was named the first star when the Bisons beat the Huskies 4-2 in Game 2 and the second star when Manitoba won the deciding game 5-1.

ďSteve gives us a chance to win every night,Ē said Workman, who will be competing at the nationals for the first time in his last year of eligibility.

ďI think I can count on one hand the number of bad games heís had in the last four years. He also helps us out, being defencemen, playing the puck all the time, and I just canít say enough good things about Steve.Ē
    GoBisons.ca: Bison menís hockey team play for Canada West championship at Alberta - The story points out the basic stats and that the Bisons are heading out early, flying on Thursday afternoon.

The Gateway: Hockey Bears, Bisons ready to collide for Canada West crown - This is from Evan Daum at the U of A. The story quotes the Evil Monkeys' head organ grinder Eric Thurston Howell II:
    Quote:
    We split with Manitoba there, we split with them here, and they're a good team that works very hard. If they get up on you, they can really shut things down," Bears head coach Eric Thurston said.

"They really played well in Saskatchewan winning 5Ė1 on the Sunday, and that's a credit to how good their team is."

With Canada West sending two representatives this season to the national tournament in Thunder Bay, the Bisons head to Edmonton with a berth at nationals already in their back pocket, having nothing to lose against the nation's number-one team.

Manitoba comes into Clare Drake Arena not only knowing they've beaten Alberta twice this season, but also bringing with them arguably the conference's top goaltender in the form of Steve Christie.

"They know they've had success against us, and have come in here and played very well. Obviously, when they make a mistake, Christie is there to make the save, so I think they're going to play with a lot of confidence ó a certain swagger ó and be very physical against us. We have to make sure that mentally and physically we're plugged in, and are ready for possibly three really tough games," Thurston explained.
OUT EAST:
  • The AUS and OUA have both produced some surprising results in early rounds. In the end, the final four in the OUA were mostly as predicted by most pundits in the pre-season. And St. FX's stunning 3-0 sweep of UNB is still sending shockwaves across the country. Here's the skinny:

ST. MARY'S HUSKIES 3
    ST. FRANCIS-XAVIER X-MEN 2

(in double overtime)
    (SMU leads best-of-five series 2-0)
    |> [MAR 9 CIS BOXSCORE]

Oddly, these two don't resume the series until Monday. One has to doubt that St. Mary's would blow this lead. But remember what happened in last year's nationals? They could lose their final pool game by 2 goals and still advance, but gave up 5 3rd period goals to blow it.

Mike Danton played for St. Mary's. No goals, no assists, 2 PIMs, and 3 SOG. That's still a bizarre story.

MCGILL REDMEN
    LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES

The one game showdown for the Queen's Cup goes Saturday at 6:30 CST in Thunder Bay.

WESTERN ONTARIO MUSTANGS
    UQTR PATRIOTES

Since the OUA gets two berths (one extra for the Quebec teams they absorbed) and since Lakehead is in as hosts, a special playoff has been scheduled for 3rd place, Saturday at 6:30 CST in Trois Rivieres.
BOOKMARKS:

Old
03-11-2010, 09:24 AM
STUTOMMIES

Thanks Hollywood

Hollywood

Thank you for the great reports, time, and effort you put into them. Havenít had much to say myself lately but always enjoy your work.

A humble PID fan.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:36 AM
AUS Fan

I would like to echo that sentiment. Thanks for the OHT34.

Will you follow the Herd to T-Bay?

Old
03-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Hollywood

Thank you for the great reports, time, and effort you put into them. Havenít had much to say myself lately but always enjoy your work.

A humble PID fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
I would like to echo that sentiment. Thanks for the OHT34.

Will you follow the Herd to T-Bay?
Thank you East Coast guys. I know that lots of people read my Bison threads on various boards by the "view" counts and I usually get a PM wondering what's up if I am late posting an update. I know a few people in Winnipeg have attended games as a result of reading about it in these threads.

So if somebody is reading who follows another team please start a thread of your own then cut and paste it on every forum you frequent! That way we can do our own small part to spread the word on CIS hockey.

Old
03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
dale 1919

well done hollywood

i too have always enjoyed your site! the time you take to connect everyone to the stories from CW weekends is awesome. the Top 34 is by far the best thing to happen to CIS men's hockey since bob adams quit covering it!
if only somebody in the OUA would take an interest! not me I can only type with one finger, but love to watch the laurier games and read the hot gossip and ok I admit I take shots at the AUS media boys pretending to be painted red vred men!
but seriously keep up the great work! the bisons need you!!
As do the 38 of us who view this in ontario!

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

More pre-game stuff

More news and links:

GoBisons.ca:

Listen and watch live Bison Men's Hockey at Alberta - Short story which gets to the point. Here are the links: [Game 1] : [Game 2] : [Game 3].

Bison menís hockey head coach Mike Sirant named 2009-10 Canada West Coach of the Year - That's his 2nd. And Don McGillivray also won it during his 3 year stint while Sirant was on leave in Denmark.

Bison Steve Christie named as 2009-10 Canada West Menís Hockey First Team All-Star - And d-man Stephane Lenoski was on the 2nd team.

Canada West awards:
- Details of all winners are reported at the CIS site, the C.W. site, and the U of A site.

Series preview:
- The only link thus far is at the U of A site, and it is a pretty good story.

Old
03-12-2010, 08:34 PM
thook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
More news and links:

GoBisons.ca:

Listen and watch live Bison Men's Hockey at Alberta - Short story which gets to the point. Here are the links: [Game 1] : [Game 2] : [Game 3].

Bison menís hockey head coach Mike Sirant named 2009-10 Canada West Coach of the Year - That's his 2nd. And Don McGillivray also won it during his 3 year stint while Sirant was on leave in Denmark.

Bison Steve Christie named as 2009-10 Canada West Menís Hockey First Team All-Star - And d-man Stephane Lenoski was on the 2nd team.

Canada West awards:
- Details of all winners are reported at the CIS site, the C.W. site, and the U of A site.

Series preview:
- The only link thus far is at the U of A site, and it is a pretty good story.
Alberta A/V people suck, no video of the game just audio.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Bisons Win! Bisons Win! Bisons Win!

March 12, 2010

HERD TRAMPLE EVIL MONKEYS ... ONE GAME AWAY FROM TITLE!

MANITOBA BISONS 4
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 1

(Manitoba leads best-of-three series 1-0)
|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ CIS BOXSCORE - not posted
|> C.W. STORY - not posted ~ [U OF A STORY] ~ [U OF M BLURB]

The Bisons' win! They are now only one game away from a win which would shock the country. I was following along while at the Moose game. When I finally was able to hit the right LeagueStat page I saw that the Bisons held a 2-0 lead on goals by Jered Walker and Stephane Lenoski. This despite being outshot 18-4. One reason for that was 4 powerplays for the Evil Monkeys and only one for the Bisons.

The 2nd period saw the teams swap goals so the Bisons carried a 3-1 lead into the 3rd. The Primates enjoyed a 17-9 shots edge in the period. Without having seen the game, I surmise that the TSN Turning Point came when Brandon Lockerby scored with about 5 minutes left to make it 3-1 Herd. On that play Colin Joe (the feces-throwing Monkey) took a 5 minute major (for interference) and a game misconduct. The Bisons then carried that momentum into the 3rd period. Blair Macaulay's 4th goal of the playoffs came at 1:33 of the 3rd and the Evil Monkeys were toast.

Steve Christie stopped 46 of 47 shots on the night to earn 1st star honours. The Macaulay-Walker-Dittmer unit notched 3 more goals. They have certainly found their form, with 8 goals in 4 games. Combined with switching Rick Wood and Calin Wild as centres on their lines has evened out the Bison attack. It seems that they were able to roll the 4 lines again, which could pay dividends as it did in game 3 against Sask.

I was hoping to watch game 2 on an internet webcast. However, apparently game 1 was audio-only. I cross my fingers.

Dance, monkey, dance!

Chad Erb crushes an Evil Monkey.

NEXT UP:
  • March 13 8:30 CST Manitoba at Alberta [WEBCAST - AUDIO]
    March 13 6:30 CST Lakehead at McGill
    March 13 6:30 CST Western Ontario at UQTR
    March 14 8:00 CDT Manitoba at Alberta [WEBCAST - AUDIO] (if necessary)
    March 15 5:00 CDT St. FX at St. Mary's
    March 17 5:00 CDT St. Mary's at St. FX [VIDEO]] (if necessary)
    March 19 5:00 CDT St. FX at St. Mary's (if necessary)
    March 25-28 TBD UNIVERSITY CUP AT THUNDER BAY
BOOKMARKS: