HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help picking a good curve

Old
06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Need help picking a good curve

When I first started playing hockey, I used whatever and then a friend of mine would give me some old sticks he got. In all honesty, I have only bought 2 composite sticks so far since I started playing 4 years ago. Now my first stick was a TPS Response Nash curve regular flex stick which is still going pretty strong. My other stick is an Easton Synergy Drury 100 flex. I get a little more power off the Drury but I'm more accurate with the Nash curve.

I always cared more about accuracy so I went to look for another Nash curve. I went to a local place and asked if they could order one since they always sharpen my skates and they told me that TPS went out of business. I went on hockey monkey to look for information about the curve and saw that it was a 5/8" heel curve. I never looked into that stuff before but I just saw on some websites that heel curves are more for slapshots. I can't take a slapshot to save my life but I have a really good wrist shot.

My question is, even though I'm comfortable with the Nash curve now, should I try finding a stick with a mid or toe curve to make my wrist shot better, or should I just find something that's similar to Nash? And that leads to my other question, does anybody know what the closest curve is to a Nash curve?

Thanks.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 02:14 PM
10 ft. pole

Bergeron. Curve. RBk 7k sidekick. On sale for 89.99 at the monkey. I can put a puck ip the goalies left nostril with that thing.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Bud2790

I baught a TPS Response (forget which one...I think R4), Nash curve probably 2-3 months ago for 49,99! I can't wait to use it next winter!!

Sorry I can't really help you. I just play for fun during winter, so when I need a stick, I just go to the store and look at the ones on special.

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 04:17 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

The Nash curve you have is probably different from the current one, they changed it not too long ago. The Nash you have is probably a 1/2" mid-toe curve, slightly open. You want a Sakic from Easton, or a P92 Naslund from Bauer, or the Bergeron from RBK.

Really though, your issue may be more with flex. The Regular flex is an 85, and a lighter flex tends to give you more accuracy, and a heavier one more power. thought he Drury curve is very open, and that can decrease accuracy as well.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I agree the Nash curve is probably a 1/2" mid curve with an open face, similar to Sakic, P92, Draper, etc. But I wouldn't say the flex of the shaft is affecting your accuracy without knowing how you shoot, what you use, and your size.

What I would recommend is getting a good shaft and trying a few different curves using different blades. The One95 is a really high quality shaft that's pretty affordable and comes in lots of flexes, and you can find wood blades with different curves usually for $20 or less.

Personally, I find flatter curves and more neutral faces tend to have better accuracy, but once I adjusted to a bigger mid curve (I use P88 Lindros or Robitaille/Kovalchuk), that's what works best for me. The additional curve puts more spin on the puck and gets more zip on my wrist shots, and the curve also keeps my shots in line rather than sending them off to the left as a flatter curve tends to do.

Again, you want to experiment, and even if $60-80 for a shaft and a few $20 wood blades sounds expensive, when you find what you like, then you can go for a high end stick and know that works best for you.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote