HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pro-stock Dolomite Blades

Old
05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Saved*

vCash: 500
Pro-stock Dolomite Blades

I found a guy selling a few Saprykin blades but can't get in contact with him anymore.

Anyone with knowledge of pro-stock blades care to take a look at:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...e-tapered.html

and tell me which, to your knowledge, offer a very nice toe curve? Preferably open faced, but I'm not the fussiest. I'm looking for something that is very pronounced... been looking for weeks, actually.

Any other websites that sell pro-stock blades that you know of? I contacted HM support and they told me to buy the Smyth warrior blade, didn't bother to read my mail asking if they had any saprykin warrior pro-stock blades. lol

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Saved*

I decided to just make my own. Heated up the dolomite, curved it. Bubbled a bit, but the blade is still structurally safe. I have a ****ing wicked snap shot with it, that's for damn sure.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Hmmm I didn't think one could heat up a composite blade and reshape it without losing its structural integrity.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Hmmm I didn't think one could heat up a composite blade and reshape it without losing its structural integrity.
Well, it is fine. I took some hard slaps in pre game skate, and then stood about 15-20 feet from the boards and was wiring some wicked snappers with pretty good accuracy.

Old
05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Well, it is fine. I took some hard slaps in pre game skate, and then stood about 15-20 feet from the boards and was wiring some wicked snappers with pretty good accuracy.
I might give that a try sometime then ... didn't think it was possible. I have a One90 blade with a PM9 curve I dislike that may be a candidate for that. I feel like I wasted $50 on it ... I guess I'll find out if your Dolomite has a different material than the Bauer One90 if I mess my blade up.

It won't be a while before I try it because I have blades a plenty right now but I will remember your post when I do, thanks for the info.

Old
05-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Saved*

I tried it first with a mission and completely ruined the blade. Good thing I tried it with that, it was an old stick that I was throwing out anyways.

The Dolomite seemed like a tank for it, no matter how much heat and soft, it didn't want to break. It worked well other than a bit of bubbling.

Old
05-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I tried it first with a mission and completely ruined the blade. Good thing I tried it with that, it was an old stick that I was throwing out anyways.

The Dolomite seemed like a tank for it, no matter how much heat and soft, it didn't want to break. It worked well other than a bit of bubbling.
Hmmm what did you use for heat? Stove burner, flame torch, heat gun?

I wonder if a heat gun would get hot enough without making the blade too hot. How hot did you have to get it before it started to show signs of bending? I don't mean in degrees obviously but generally. very, not so very hot, etc?

Old
05-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Hmmm what did you use for heat? Stove burner, flame torch, heat gun?

I wonder if a heat gun would get hot enough without making the blade too hot. How hot did you have to get it before it started to show signs of bending? I don't mean in degrees obviously but generally. very, not so very hot, etc?
I moved a torch over it for about 30 seconds each side, then put the blade on the ground and started opening the curve by pushing down. Brought it back up, continued and repeated until I had a 3/4ths curve that is open.

Old
05-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Saved*

If you do it with a dolomite blade, it will bubble up a bit from the heat, but it's as strong now (to my knowledge) as it was the day I got it. I gave it quite a beating last night and it is still great. Obviously it's going to be easy to **** it up, but if you do it gradually, you should be fine.

Old
05-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
If you do it with a dolomite blade, it will bubble up a bit from the heat, but it's as strong now (to my knowledge) as it was the day I got it. I gave it quite a beating last night and it is still great. Obviously it's going to be easy to **** it up, but if you do it gradually, you should be fine.
That's my thinking right there, gradually. I just want to angle it at the heel further back (the PM9 I was talking about) and add some curve in the mid portion where it is straight now so that should be easy enough once warm enough.

I learned pretty quickly with the composite shaft after using aluminum shafts since the early 90s that you could burn into oblivion that a torch was taboo and not good to do on a composite shaft. Bubbles the graphics and ruins the material or something like that. I haven't done it, I just read not to. I did get the graphics bubbling too close to an electric stove burner.

I have been using an electric heat gun made for paint stripping. I think it can get hot enough to reshape a blade gradually like you mentioned.

I wonder if shaving the bottom would work on blades that are not my lie I like to make them my lie. Does this carbon fiber stuff shave easily or would I be wasting my time? Maybe on a bench grinder or would that just cause the fibrous stuff to frizz out like fiberglas does??

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old
05-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Saved*

I'm going to post a picture of a toe curve I made today. It's quite extreme.

Old
05-29-2009, 09:40 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

You can do it, but it will really cut the lifespan of the blade. If you don't care, have fun.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Saved*

Here's the curve I just made. It's quite... out there, but it performs very well. Made with a wooden blade. I broke a stick tonight so I need a backup for tomorrow. I took some wristers with it and the velocity is something else, and I can pick quite accurately.

Last edited by Saved*: 06-12-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Ha! I could never shoot with that thing .... I would probably shoot myself in the ankle with it lmao.

Old
05-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Huggy Bear*

Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
I just picked me up a few Elias curves, gonna pair them with an 08 tapered Dolo

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warriorlef.html

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote