HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jeff Carter

Old
06-01-2009, 08:04 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter

I do not normally do this, but I was wondering how people value Jeff Carter. He was second in the league in goals behind AO, and is still very young. He has one of the best wrist shots in the game today and his speed is very good also.

People will say that he came up short in the playoffs, but he had a seperated shoulder, which limited the use of his best weapon- the lethal wrist shot.

So what would your team offer for Jeff Carter, one of the top young centers in teh game today???

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Duponttime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I do not normally do this, but I was wondering how people value Jeff Carter. He was second in the league in goals behind AO, and is still very young. He has one of the best wrist shots in the game today and his speed is very good also.

People will say that he came up short in the playoffs, but he had a seperated shoulder, which limited the use of his best weapon- the lethal wrist shot.

So what would your team offer for Jeff Carter, one of the top young centers in teh game today???
Pointless because Philly isn't trading him. I suspect they will try and trade JRV for an elite goalie prospect.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
SFKingshomer

Frolov and JJ

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Duponttime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Frolov and JJ
Johnson's value is lower than whale crap at the moment.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
HAHA, yes because of the KHL rumor. He still has plenty of value.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Pointless because Philly isn't trading him. I suspect they will try and trade JRV for an elite goalie prospect.
Because elite prospect for elite prospect trades happen so often, and elite goalies prospects have such a high rate of suceeding....but lets not get this thread off topic

Old
06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
phlocky

Because of his play this year Carter is probably worth the 1st overall this year. Most teams would probably rather have Carter since he's turned the corner and is putting it all together rather than take a chance on a prospect like Tavares or Hedmen and then hope they turn out better than Carter. However, I doubt that the NYI would trade the 1st overall even for Jeff Carter and Tavares is a bigger NAME and would make a better new face of the franchise than Carter would.

However, if TBL trades VL then I could easily see them trading the 2nd overall for Carter. I don't think that I'd do that as the flyers but I think TBL would do it.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

Shouldn't Carter be worth more than the 1st overall? Not that that would ever happen though.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Because of his play this year Carter is probably worth the 1st overall this year. Most teams would probably rather have Carter since he's turned the corner and is putting it all together rather than take a chance on a prospect like Tavares or Hedmen and then hope they turn out better than Carter. However, I doubt that the NYI would trade the 1st overall even for Jeff Carter and Tavares is a bigger NAME and would make a better new face of the franchise than Carter would.

However, if TBL trades VL then I could easily see them trading the 2nd overall for Carter. I don't think that I'd do that as the flyers but I think TBL would do it.

If Tampa Bay added one of Ramo/Helenius and another piece, it would get interesting.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:46 PM
mm6492

I love Hedman but he is just a prospect. I am not sure what I would do there.....

Old
06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
seanlinden

Not really any sort of realistic package that sees the Flyers trade Carter.... as they'd be looking for exactly the same in return and teams dont usually like to give up on their franchise forwards.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:55 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Indeed, whale crap is valueless. Whale puke on the other hand... precious ambergris.

Carter isn't being traded, but I would say value-wise he's worth an already established younger top six forward OR a number two defenseman AND a top 6ish pick OR a highly regarded prospect.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 08:55 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Not really any sort of realistic package that sees the Flyers trade Carter.... as they'd be looking for exactly the same in return and teams dont usually like to give up on their franchise forwards.
We have a franchise forward already in Richards, another PPG forward in Briere, and a potential PPG forward in Giroux. If Carter returned a top 2 pick this year and other pieces we needed, it might work. I'd rather deal him for a franchise goalie, though. If Luongo became available, I am sure that Carter is what Vancouver would want.

Old
06-01-2009, 08:57 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
We have a franchise forward already in Richards, another PPG forward in Briere, and a potential PPG forward in Giroux. If Carter returned a top 2 pick this year and other pieces we needed, it might work. I'd rather deal him for a franchise goalie, though. If Luongo became available, I am sure that Carter is what Vancouver would want.
Carter
for
Luongo++

As he does not ahve a longer term deal in place and Carter is still ver young

But I want to hold on to JC, just seeing how he is valued around here

Old
06-01-2009, 09:01 PM
mercury

Quote:
Carter
for
Luongo++

But I want to hold on to JC, just seeing how he is valued around here
Oh, I agree, but I think that Vancouver wouldn't add much to Luongo, since a deal would probably have to be contingent upon Luongo signing an extension. A franchise goaltender locked up for 3-4 years is worth a hell of a lot (i.e., a young 1st line center).

Old
06-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Oh, I agree, but I think that Vancouver wouldn't add much to Luongo, since a deal would probably have to be contingent upon Luongo signing an extension. A franchise goaltender locked up for 3-4 years is worth a hell of a lot (i.e., a young 1st line center).
To be honest I think that Luongo on a 3 year deal is worth more then Carter no matter how long he signed for. But of course that is only my opinion.

With that said, I really feel like there is 0.01% chance that Carter is moved. Richards and Carter are truly the only untouchables on that team (Hartnell is actually close too IMO) therefore I could see Gagne being moved before Carter.

If I were the Flyers I think I would be shopping Gagne for a goalie ALA Giguere/Hiller.
Clearly it's not a MUST that they trade Gagne and if they can't get a goalie then keep him but if you have a chance to get a goalie... I think you jump at the chance.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:23 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
To be honest I think that Luongo on a 3 year deal is worth more then Carter no matter how long he signed for. But of course that is only my opinion.

With that said, I really feel like there is 0.01% chance that Carter is moved. Richards and Carter are truly the only untouchables on that team (Hartnell is actually close too IMO) therefore I could see Gagne being moved before Carter.

If I were the Flyers I think I would be shopping Gagne for a goalie ALA Giguere/Hiller.
Clearly it's not a MUST that they trade Gagne and if they can't get a goalie then keep him but if you have a chance to get a goalie... I think you jump at the chance.

Or, even better, Lupul+ for Harding (RFA), and then trade/waive/LTIR Jones. We could sign a veteran goalie and a 2nd pairing defenseman, and keep the insane forward depth.

Old
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Carter
for
Luongo++

You're not going to get more than Luongo for Carter. I've heard this argument before, that one year of Luongo isn't worth that much, but one year of Luongo was on the table for Vincent Lecavalier just three years ago, and I wouldn't say that Carter's current value is worth more than Lecavalier's three years ago and Luongo has proven more now than he had three years ago.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
You're not going to get more than Luongo for Carter. I've heard this argument before, that one year of Luongo isn't worth that much, but one year of Luongo was on the table for Vincent Lecavalier just three years ago, and I wouldn't say that Carter's current value is worth more than Lecavalier's three years ago and Luongo has proven more now than he had three years ago.

Good point. I am just saying we are talking about the #2 goal scorer in the league who still has not reached his potential

Old
06-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Jwm1986

Carter

for

5th overall
Jack Johnson
Jarett Stoll

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Good point. I am just saying we are talking about the #2 goal scorer in the league who still has not reached his potential
And were talking about the #2, or possibly #1, goaltender. And you can say that Luongo hasn't reached his potential either as many goaltenders play their best years in their early 30's. Sure Carter had a fantastic season, but he could just as easily be a 30-35 goal scorer throughout his career as he could be a top 3 goal scorer. Seen it happen, many, many, many times before.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
TheLeafFanFromOttawa*

Brad May
3rd

AND

5th

TheLeafFanFromOttawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
And were talking about the #2, or possibly #1, goaltender. And you can say that Luongo hasn't reached his potential either as many goaltenders play their best years in their early 30's. Sure Carter had a fantastic season, but he could just as easily be a 30-35 goal scorer throughout his career as he could be a top 3 goal scorer. Seen it happen, many, many, many times before.
The rub here is that Carter wouldn't be traded without an extension from Luongo, but Vancouver would have no reason to trade Luongo any time soon if he can be extended at any price that Vancouver could afford (because there is no way that the Flyers could go any higher on the contract).

Old
06-01-2009, 09:43 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm1986 View Post
Carter

for

5th overall
Jack Johnson
Jarett Stoll

I'd rather have Doughty than JJ and the 5th overall.

Old
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
lefty2time*

To get Luongo out of Van it would take something like Carter + Coburn and maybe even a pick
(assuming Luongo resigns for 4 years or so at a fair price)

I am not saying that that would equal trade value...im saying that is what it would take from Vancouver perspective.

If Philly felt that the asking price is too high as they dont value Luongo as highly as the Canucks do then there wouldnt be a deal.

This pretty much sums up 2 multi paged threads we had on hf boards just last month

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote