06-09-2009, 04:35 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Who said ECHL? Give that guy a cookie!
Quote:
Expansion Membership Approved For Kalamazoo
Newest Member Begins Play In*October*

PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL announced on Tuesday that the Board of Governors has unanimously approved the Expansion Membership application of the Kalamazoo Wings for admission to the ECHL.

Kalamazoo is scheduled to begin play in October when the Premier 'AA' Hockey League will play its 22nd season, making it the third-longest tenured professional hockey league behind only the National Hockey League and the American Hockey League.

The ECHL is finalizing the schedule for 2009-10 and will release it as soon as possible.

"We are proud to welcome Kalamazoo to the ECHL," said ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna. "The city has a long hockey tradition, solid community-based ownership and this will allow K-Wings fans to renew rivalries with Cincinnati and Toledo."

"We are excited and look forward to building new relationships with our new business partners while maintaining the deep hockey tradition in our southwest Michigan," said Paul L. Pickard, president of Wings Stadium and Kalamazoo Wings.

The K-Wings are owned by Stadium Management Company, who is also the owner and operator of Wings Stadium. Wings Stadium is home to the K-Wings while also hosting concerts, family shows and trade shows. The building capacity is 5,113 for hockey.

Kalamazoo will be a member of the North Division in the American Conference joining the Cincinnati Cyclones, the Elmira (N.Y.) Jackals, the Johnstown (Pa.) Chiefs, the Toledo (Ohio) Walleye and the Wheeling Nailers. Kalamazoo is 150 miles from Toledo which returns to the ice in 2009-10 in the brand-new Lucas County Downtown Arena.

Professional hockey has been played in Kalamazoo since 1974-75 including the last two seasons in the new International Hockey League, a reincarnation of the professional league that ceased operations in 2001 after more than 50 years. Kalamazoo ranked second in the league in attendance both years.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:57 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Here's the link to the K-zoo ECHL press release:

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic....news2&id=19007

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:11 PM
CrazyEddie20

Congrats to K-Zoo on getting into a league that isn't rigged.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMSaunders View Post
Detroit/Grand Rapids had been affiliated with Toledo before they went dark for two years. I don't know if they were planning on renewing that deal or not.
I'm hoping for that, too. I'd love to go see some Walleye games and see Wings prospects playing.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I'm hoping for that, too. I'd love to go see some Walleye games and see Wings prospects playing.
I am not sure if the Griffins/Red Wings affiliation with the Storm automatically resumes when the Walleye take the ice, but it is very possible.

However, I am going to make a wild guess that the K-Wings get the Griffins/Red Wings affiliation while the Walleye would end up with either a Monsters/Avalanche or a Crunch/Blue Jackets affiliation. As a side note, both of these combinations are affiliated with the Johnstown Chiefs, so one is probably up for grabs.

Captain Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:57 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Esoteric View Post
I am not sure if the Griffins/Red Wings affiliation with the Storm automatically resumes when the Walleye take the ice, but it is very possible.

However, I am going to make a wild guess that the K-Wings get the Griffins/Red Wings affiliation while the Walleye would end up with either a Monsters/Avalanche or a Crunch/Blue Jackets affiliation. As a side note, both of these combinations are affiliated with the Johnstown Chiefs, so one is probably up for grabs.
usually, ECHL affiliations are yr to yr anyway----but remember wht happened to Tampa last year having to abruptly go searching mid-season(Augusta to Biloxi)

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:

The Walleye have been expected to re-affiliate with the Wings since they were announced. I have to imagine the Walleye ownership is pretty desperate for a Wings affiliation, too. Toledo is deeply entrenched in the Detroit sports market and it remains to be seen if people there would support a team with no history without the added prestige of the Red Wings affiliation. Keep in mind the Walleye are owned by the Toledo Mudhens who are affiliated with the Tigers, also owned by Ilitch.

The K-Wings might throw a wrench in this, since the Wings have pursued an all Michigan thing since the Storm folded. But I doubt that's really likely.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:16 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

you're forgetting Elmira has been aligned w/ CBJ/SYR, Eso

Old
06-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
you're forgetting Elmira has been aligned w/ CBJ/SYR, Eso
Elmira is aligned with Binghamton/Ottawa.

Old
06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The Walleye have been expected to re-affiliate with the Wings since they were announced. I have to imagine the Walleye ownership is pretty desperate for a Wings affiliation, too. Toledo is deeply entrenched in the Detroit sports market and it remains to be seen if people there would support a team with no history without the added prestige of the Red Wings affiliation. Keep in mind the Walleye are owned by the Toledo Mudhens who are affiliated with the Tigers, also owned by Ilitch.

The K-Wings might throw a wrench in this, since the Wings have pursued an all Michigan thing since the Storm folded. But I doubt that's really likely.
I see. I wasn't aware of those existing Red Wings connections. I just thought the Jackets or Monsters might want to bring Northwestern Ohio into their fold.

Maybe the Blackhawks get K-zoo then?

Old
06-13-2009, 11:09 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
I see. I wasn't aware of those existing Red Wings connections. I just thought the Jackets or Monsters might want to bring Northwestern Ohio into their fold.

Maybe the Blackhawks get K-zoo then?
depends if Rockford wants them----the K-Zoo Gazette says there are 5 NHL franchises (BOS, BUF, MIN, PHX, and TB(although Tampa did have 2 affiliates in the E LAST yr) ARE also available.... Johnstown MAY NOT BE.

Minnesota may be best of those unaffiliated.