HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Expressen: Sedins ask for $63 million over 12 years each - Sedin Contract Talks Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
LostMyGlasses*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorial View Post
That's nice. And I need the magical leprechaun to **** a bucket of gold on my front doorstep tonight, but just because I need doesn't mean its out there. I love revisionism. Suddenly, 3 months later it appears there was a whole bunch of puck-moving D out there available for little if anything. Fact is there wasn't. I can think of 3 guys who were available and actually would have been improvements to our top-6: Bouwmeester, Kaberle, Kubina. Bouwmeester came off the table, and had we got one of those soft Euro's you love so much you would have screamed for Gillis' head, especially after the price he would have had to pay to acquire them. (I didn't even mention that they have expensive contracts into this season as well. Though I'm sure you'd love it if one of Kaberle/Kubina made it impossible to pitch for Bouwmeester or Niedermayer--I hear those guys are Western Canadian Boys (tm).
R U Bob freakin McKenzie? R U the Hockey Insider for TSN?

If not, how do you know what was available? And better yet, for what cost?

God I hate it when people talk like they have authority on whats available. You, more than likely, do not know whats available at the deadline, I didn't TSN didnt'.

Don't believe TSN's hype machine.

Last edited by LostMyGlasses*: 06-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old
06-08-2009, 05:42 PM
crazyforhockey

Kaberle for a 1st,roster player and a good prospect...I believe the asking price.....Burke was in a postion that if didnt get swept off his feet then he wasnt making a deal=====overpayment

Because we know what happens next.....the next season......So we are going into this coming season with no #1,no Raymond and no Grabner....but with Kaberle... or somthing similar.

Did you guys forget the year we traded away for Carney and Wrenich,and -----? and we dint make the playoffs....and nothing to show the next season..........have t o remember that the Jay bo trade was preoocuping everything down to the trade deadline(maybe).and after the plum wasnt avaliable then there really wasnt anything left to make this team better.

bottom line Bouwmeister for Raymond and a 1st would have been sweet ,,,but they were in a playoff hunt.......the other thing to keep in mind is that we become stronger contender from the onset then you can look at the pricy trade deadline deal........it seemed most Gm were shying away as the price of a top round draft pick are huge.......

Imagine the previous year we traded our number 10 pick( Hodgson) for Tkachuk or a Guerin

Old
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
crazyforhockey

Now say the Sedins do sign for lower cap hit long term deal,Bouwmeister to....luongo resigns for 6 mil a year long term.
Sedin,Sedin,Burr...............sedins sign 5 mil cap hit each
Demitra,Kesler,raymond/grabner_____
Wellwood.Hodgson,Bernier
Hordy/Hansen,Johnson,Rypien

JayBo,Mitchell
Edler,Salo
Bieksa,Obrien

Luo
Labarbera

Thats a decent lineup.......better than last year on Defence(Jaybo is an upgrade on Ohlund-particularly on speed and puck moving ability.And it fits even if the cap is 6.0 mil on Jaybo.

Old
06-11-2009, 03:14 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Wanted to bring this topic back to the forefront. I'm a big fan of Daniel and Henrik (met both at one time or another and they're model citizens and heroes of mine) and would be very disappointed if they signed elsewhere. But $50M over 10 years appears to be too high.

Back in January I had suggested $53M for 10 years using the Zetterberg contract (which is really a $7.5M a year deal) as a reference. Now we also have the Franzen $43M/11 year deal (really a $5M a year deal) as very relevant data. The total of the 2 players is thus $12.5M per year or an avg of $6.25M which reflects the "Detroit home town discount".

That begs the question, are Henrik and Daniel = Zetterberg & Franzen? I don't think so. For one thing, the Sedins have to play together whereas Z & F don't. 2nd, the Sedin style is similar while Z&F are more complementary. 3rd, F brings size to the equation and that's not unimportant. 4th, Z&F have stanley cup rings, Daniel & Henrik do not. So there is no way Daniel & Henrik should get more than $6M a year each (disregarding for the moment the cap games Detroit plays) and I would argue that a figure of $5.5M makes sense.

Except for the fact that the "detroit home town discount" is particularly steep because of the way detroit has treated its players for the last 25 years, the large # of swedish players on that team, and oh, the 4 stanley cups (everybody wants to play for a champion).

So IMO,the correct figure is between $5.5M on the low side and $6.25M on the high side. Over 6 years (the likely period of time the Sedins want to play in the NHL), thats a range of $33M to $37.5M. at $35M, that's $5.83M per season.

As far as cap hit is concerned, I would be surprised if the Vancouver owners are willing to "exceed" the cap the way Detroit is. By that I mean even if the Sedins sign a 10 year 43M deal with a cap hit of $4.3M per, the real salary for the first 6 years is 5.83M, and I doubt the Canucks will spend the $1.5M cap savings (After all, the Aquilini's paid $250M for the team and the Detroit owner only paid $8M!). I suppose it doesn't hurt to sign the 10 year 43M deal to save some cap space since the Aquilini's would have the option but not the obligation to spend the cap savings and as we know, options are worth money.

The other factors to be considered: this will be the Sedins last NHL contract, any possibility that their agent tries to milk it for what its worth? if the Sedins agent asks for too much and Canucks give it, the pressure on the Sedins to perform will rise dramatically. If they leave some on the table, the pressure will still be there but a bit less.

Finally, I don't know why and where it comes from but the Sedins are not universally loved by everyone associated with the Canucks. If you're the owners though, you have to put that aside and observe the fact that while on your payroll, these guys always show up for work with no complaints and give you 100% every game. What more can you ask for?

Old
06-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Britton

Zetterberg and Franzen do play together, the only reason they were split up was because Datsyuk had been injured.

Old
06-11-2009, 09:37 AM
crazycanuck

My guess is that the Sedins will sign for a close to 6M a season cap hit. And with that cap hit, unless theres a trade getting rid of salary, it will price the Canucks out of the high end UFA's.

Old
06-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Wanted to bring this topic back to the forefront. I'm a big fan of Daniel and Henrik (met both at one time or another and they're model citizens and heroes of mine) and would be very disappointed if they signed elsewhere. But $50M over 10 years appears to be too high.

Back in January I had suggested $53M for 10 years using the Zetterberg contract (which is really a $7.5M a year deal) as a reference. Now we also have the Franzen $43M/11 year deal (really a $5M a year deal) as very relevant data. The total of the 2 players is thus $12.5M per year or an avg of $6.25M which reflects the "Detroit home town discount".

That begs the question, are Henrik and Daniel = Zetterberg & Franzen? I don't think so. For one thing, the Sedins have to play together whereas Z & F don't. 2nd, the Sedin style is similar while Z&F are more complementary. 3rd, F brings size to the equation and that's not unimportant. 4th, Z&F have stanley cup rings, Daniel & Henrik do not. So there is no way Daniel & Henrik should get more than $6M a year each (disregarding for the moment the cap games Detroit plays) and I would argue that a figure of $5.5M makes sense.

Except for the fact that the "detroit home town discount" is particularly steep because of the way detroit has treated its players for the last 25 years, the large # of swedish players on that team, and oh, the 4 stanley cups (everybody wants to play for a champion).

So IMO,the correct figure is between $5.5M on the low side and $6.25M on the high side. Over 6 years (the likely period of time the Sedins want to play in the NHL), thats a range of $33M to $37.5M. at $35M, that's $5.83M per season.

As far as cap hit is concerned, I would be surprised if the Vancouver owners are willing to "exceed" the cap the way Detroit is. By that I mean even if the Sedins sign a 10 year 43M deal with a cap hit of $4.3M per, the real salary for the first 6 years is 5.83M, and I doubt the Canucks will spend the $1.5M cap savings (After all, the Aquilini's paid $250M for the team and the Detroit owner only paid $8M!). I suppose it doesn't hurt to sign the 10 year 43M deal to save some cap space since the Aquilini's would have the option but not the obligation to spend the cap savings and as we know, options are worth money.

The other factors to be considered: this will be the Sedins last NHL contract, any possibility that their agent tries to milk it for what its worth? if the Sedins agent asks for too much and Canucks give it, the pressure on the Sedins to perform will rise dramatically. If they leave some on the table, the pressure will still be there but a bit less.

Finally, I don't know why and where it comes from but the Sedins are not universally loved by everyone associated with the Canucks. If you're the owners though, you have to put that aside and observe the fact that while on your payroll, these guys always show up for work with no complaints and give you 100% every game. What more can you ask for?
Since you bring up the comparison, hereís something to consider: hypothetically speaking, how well do you think Zetterberg and Franzen would do in Vancouver and the Sedins in Detroit if a trade were to take place? How much of Zetterbergís or Franzenís success is attributable to the fact they play for one of the greatest hockey machines every put together? How good could the Sedins be put in that same situation?

At the end of the day, a $5mm a year cap hit for Daniel and Henrik (for as long as they want to play) is terrific value, I really donít care how the deal is structured.

Old
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
digger18

I really cant see Henrik and Daniel coming back next year.

Gillis says hes only willing to pay them below market value, because they should feel lucky to be playing in Vancouver. Those kind of commments tell me that talks with the Agent wont go very well.

There will be other teams who are willing to pay 2-2.5M a year more and this is the Sedins big ticket UFA contract of their carreers. They will take all the money they can get!

In the post season presser, Gillis specifically mentioned teams like LA, Phx, STL and Chitown as the clear teams on the rise. HE also mentioned that they are counting on young players like Hodgson and Grabner cracking the lineup next year and having a chance to play. I honestly think Gillis is going to leave some cap space in the bank and not do anything stupid on July 1. The cap is expected to drop next year and he has Kesler and Luongo to worry about re-signing. I cant see Gillis putting all of his eggs in the Sedins basket and or picking up a player like Gaborik/JBO.....Only to leave himself no cap space to make sure Luongo and Kesler stick around.

I honestly think that Gillis plans on icing a younger team next year, and head into the 2010-11 season, in a position that he isnt screwed by a 5-10 million dollar drop in the slalary cap.

If Gillis spends a bunch of money on UFA players this off-season, you can pretty well count on Luongo and or Kesler being gone. I dont know how the rest of you feel, but I would choose those 2 guys over the Sedins any day of the week!

Old
06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Sedins want $40M/5 years each

http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html

Put in June 11 and 8:00 AM hour (forward to 17:50).

06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

Good then theyre gone foresure....Thank you heavens!!!!!

Old
06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
hockeyfan666666

Quote:

holy crap, well I guess it's time for Plan B V2

Old
06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Cocomero*

Well folks, it was inevitable....Goodbye Sedins.

We are going into a dark few years.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Although to be fair it's Neil McRae reporting that, and the total seems way out of whack, but if indeed true they can hit the bricks.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post
Well folks, it was inevitable....Goodbye Sedins.

We are going into a dark few years.
Have some optimism, at least we wont have to watch the Sedins get knocked around like little girls playing for our team anymore.

We can cheer when our players are the ones knocking them around, instead of feeling shame and embarrasment.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
hockeyfan666666

Quote:
Although to be fair it's Neil McRae reporting that, and the total seems way out of whack, but if indeed true they can hit the bricks.
..and the source is basically a rumor reported by the "anonymous high-up man's" drinking buddies. I still don't believe it 100%

Old
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan666666 View Post
..and the source is basically a rumor reported by the "anonymous high-up man's" drinking buddies. I still don't believe it 100%
I haven't listened to it myself, just saw it on another board and thought it was worth posting. But still...I don't think it's 100% fabricated.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
pitseleh

I don't know, I have a hard time buying that. The source is 'a high up official in the Canucks' that was talking to some drinking buddies. Not only do the Sedins want $80 million over 5 years but Luongo is going to leave too, apparently, and so the Canucks are going to trade him to maximize their return.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Zorbane

Wow this is total BS

8 million a year?

I call shenanigans

Old
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Cocomero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Have some optimism, at least we wont have to watch the Sedins get knocked around like little girls playing for our team anymore.

We can cheer when our players are the ones knocking them around, instead of feeling shame and embarrasment.
Yeah lets look at the bright side, we don't have to torture ourselves anymore by watching consistent durable players score! We can sign Gaborik to play 30 games and go through numerous goalless droughts! AWESOME!!!!!!

Old
06-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Warren Piece

Luongo for Heatley just got a whole lot more realistic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
digger18

Well I dont want Gaborik signed either.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Macke*

That can't be true, but i'm in the group that wants them gone (unless they take a very cap friendly deal..) so I wouldn't exactly mind that <_>.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Perhaps it could be the Sedins pissed off with Gillis low-balling them and dicking with them that they're setting this price or else they walk?

Old
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
LeftCoast

Gees - overstated opinionated BS. Must be McCrae.

McCrae doesn't really have his finger on the pulse of anything sports related. He's just a big mouth who works way to hard at maintaining his tough, independent and critical image. McCrae doesn't have any inside sources with the Canucks; they don't even talk to him.

I sincerely doubt anyone "high up" in the Canucks organization, even with lots of booze involved would leak that the Sedins are asking for $40M each or that Luongo is likely gone as well.

Last edited by LeftCoast: 06-11-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:

And here I thought Team 1040 was the ultimate attention hoar of Vancouver radio.

Closed Thread