HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Expressen: Sedins ask for $63 million over 12 years each - Sedin Contract Talks Here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
  #176
LostMyGlasses*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Simon Fraser
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorial View Post
That's nice. And I need the magical leprechaun to **** a bucket of gold on my front doorstep tonight, but just because I need doesn't mean its out there. I love revisionism. Suddenly, 3 months later it appears there was a whole bunch of puck-moving D out there available for little if anything. Fact is there wasn't. I can think of 3 guys who were available and actually would have been improvements to our top-6: Bouwmeester, Kaberle, Kubina. Bouwmeester came off the table, and had we got one of those soft Euro's you love so much you would have screamed for Gillis' head, especially after the price he would have had to pay to acquire them. (I didn't even mention that they have expensive contracts into this season as well. Though I'm sure you'd love it if one of Kaberle/Kubina made it impossible to pitch for Bouwmeester or Niedermayer--I hear those guys are Western Canadian Boys (tm).
R U Bob freakin McKenzie? R U the Hockey Insider for TSN?

If not, how do you know what was available? And better yet, for what cost?


God I hate it when people talk like they have authority on whats available. You, more than likely, do not know whats available at the deadline, I didn't TSN didnt'.

Don't believe TSN's hype machine.


Last edited by LostMyGlasses*: 06-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.
LostMyGlasses* is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:42 PM
  #177
crazyforhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Kaberle for a 1st,roster player and a good prospect...I believe the asking price.....Burke was in a postion that if didnt get swept off his feet then he wasnt making a deal=====overpayment

Because we know what happens next.....the next season......So we are going into this coming season with no #1,no Raymond and no Grabner....but with Kaberle... or somthing similar.

Did you guys forget the year we traded away for Carney and Wrenich,and -----? and we dint make the playoffs....and nothing to show the next season..........have t o remember that the Jay bo trade was preoocuping everything down to the trade deadline(maybe).and after the plum wasnt avaliable then there really wasnt anything left to make this team better.

bottom line Bouwmeister for Raymond and a 1st would have been sweet ,,,but they were in a playoff hunt.......the other thing to keep in mind is that we become stronger contender from the onset then you can look at the pricy trade deadline deal........it seemed most Gm were shying away as the price of a top round draft pick are huge.......

Imagine the previous year we traded our number 10 pick( Hodgson) for Tkachuk or a Guerin

crazyforhockey is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
  #178
crazyforhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Now say the Sedins do sign for lower cap hit long term deal,Bouwmeister to....luongo resigns for 6 mil a year long term.
Sedin,Sedin,Burr...............sedins sign 5 mil cap hit each
Demitra,Kesler,raymond/grabner_____
Wellwood.Hodgson,Bernier
Hordy/Hansen,Johnson,Rypien

JayBo,Mitchell
Edler,Salo
Bieksa,Obrien

Luo
Labarbera

Thats a decent lineup.......better than last year on Defence(Jaybo is an upgrade on Ohlund-particularly on speed and puck moving ability.And it fits even if the cap is 6.0 mil on Jaybo.

crazyforhockey is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 03:14 AM
  #179
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
Wanted to bring this topic back to the forefront. I'm a big fan of Daniel and Henrik (met both at one time or another and they're model citizens and heroes of mine) and would be very disappointed if they signed elsewhere. But $50M over 10 years appears to be too high.

Back in January I had suggested $53M for 10 years using the Zetterberg contract (which is really a $7.5M a year deal) as a reference. Now we also have the Franzen $43M/11 year deal (really a $5M a year deal) as very relevant data. The total of the 2 players is thus $12.5M per year or an avg of $6.25M which reflects the "Detroit home town discount".

That begs the question, are Henrik and Daniel = Zetterberg & Franzen? I don't think so. For one thing, the Sedins have to play together whereas Z & F don't. 2nd, the Sedin style is similar while Z&F are more complementary. 3rd, F brings size to the equation and that's not unimportant. 4th, Z&F have stanley cup rings, Daniel & Henrik do not. So there is no way Daniel & Henrik should get more than $6M a year each (disregarding for the moment the cap games Detroit plays) and I would argue that a figure of $5.5M makes sense.

Except for the fact that the "detroit home town discount" is particularly steep because of the way detroit has treated its players for the last 25 years, the large # of swedish players on that team, and oh, the 4 stanley cups (everybody wants to play for a champion).

So IMO,the correct figure is between $5.5M on the low side and $6.25M on the high side. Over 6 years (the likely period of time the Sedins want to play in the NHL), thats a range of $33M to $37.5M. at $35M, that's $5.83M per season.

As far as cap hit is concerned, I would be surprised if the Vancouver owners are willing to "exceed" the cap the way Detroit is. By that I mean even if the Sedins sign a 10 year 43M deal with a cap hit of $4.3M per, the real salary for the first 6 years is 5.83M, and I doubt the Canucks will spend the $1.5M cap savings (After all, the Aquilini's paid $250M for the team and the Detroit owner only paid $8M!). I suppose it doesn't hurt to sign the 10 year 43M deal to save some cap space since the Aquilini's would have the option but not the obligation to spend the cap savings and as we know, options are worth money.

The other factors to be considered: this will be the Sedins last NHL contract, any possibility that their agent tries to milk it for what its worth? if the Sedins agent asks for too much and Canucks give it, the pressure on the Sedins to perform will rise dramatically. If they leave some on the table, the pressure will still be there but a bit less.

Finally, I don't know why and where it comes from but the Sedins are not universally loved by everyone associated with the Canucks. If you're the owners though, you have to put that aside and observe the fact that while on your payroll, these guys always show up for work with no complaints and give you 100% every game. What more can you ask for?

Outside99* is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 03:38 AM
  #180
Britton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Zetterberg and Franzen do play together, the only reason they were split up was because Datsyuk had been injured.

Britton is online now  
Old
06-11-2009, 09:37 AM
  #181
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,134
vCash: 500
My guess is that the Sedins will sign for a close to 6M a season cap hit. And with that cap hit, unless theres a trade getting rid of salary, it will price the Canucks out of the high end UFA's.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 10:03 AM
  #182
Ajackalit
Registered User
 
Ajackalit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Wanted to bring this topic back to the forefront. I'm a big fan of Daniel and Henrik (met both at one time or another and they're model citizens and heroes of mine) and would be very disappointed if they signed elsewhere. But $50M over 10 years appears to be too high.

Back in January I had suggested $53M for 10 years using the Zetterberg contract (which is really a $7.5M a year deal) as a reference. Now we also have the Franzen $43M/11 year deal (really a $5M a year deal) as very relevant data. The total of the 2 players is thus $12.5M per year or an avg of $6.25M which reflects the "Detroit home town discount".

That begs the question, are Henrik and Daniel = Zetterberg & Franzen? I don't think so. For one thing, the Sedins have to play together whereas Z & F don't. 2nd, the Sedin style is similar while Z&F are more complementary. 3rd, F brings size to the equation and that's not unimportant. 4th, Z&F have stanley cup rings, Daniel & Henrik do not. So there is no way Daniel & Henrik should get more than $6M a year each (disregarding for the moment the cap games Detroit plays) and I would argue that a figure of $5.5M makes sense.

Except for the fact that the "detroit home town discount" is particularly steep because of the way detroit has treated its players for the last 25 years, the large # of swedish players on that team, and oh, the 4 stanley cups (everybody wants to play for a champion).

So IMO,the correct figure is between $5.5M on the low side and $6.25M on the high side. Over 6 years (the likely period of time the Sedins want to play in the NHL), thats a range of $33M to $37.5M. at $35M, that's $5.83M per season.

As far as cap hit is concerned, I would be surprised if the Vancouver owners are willing to "exceed" the cap the way Detroit is. By that I mean even if the Sedins sign a 10 year 43M deal with a cap hit of $4.3M per, the real salary for the first 6 years is 5.83M, and I doubt the Canucks will spend the $1.5M cap savings (After all, the Aquilini's paid $250M for the team and the Detroit owner only paid $8M!). I suppose it doesn't hurt to sign the 10 year 43M deal to save some cap space since the Aquilini's would have the option but not the obligation to spend the cap savings and as we know, options are worth money.

The other factors to be considered: this will be the Sedins last NHL contract, any possibility that their agent tries to milk it for what its worth? if the Sedins agent asks for too much and Canucks give it, the pressure on the Sedins to perform will rise dramatically. If they leave some on the table, the pressure will still be there but a bit less.

Finally, I don't know why and where it comes from but the Sedins are not universally loved by everyone associated with the Canucks. If you're the owners though, you have to put that aside and observe the fact that while on your payroll, these guys always show up for work with no complaints and give you 100% every game. What more can you ask for?
Since you bring up the comparison, hereís something to consider: hypothetically speaking, how well do you think Zetterberg and Franzen would do in Vancouver and the Sedins in Detroit if a trade were to take place? How much of Zetterbergís or Franzenís success is attributable to the fact they play for one of the greatest hockey machines every put together? How good could the Sedins be put in that same situation?

At the end of the day, a $5mm a year cap hit for Daniel and Henrik (for as long as they want to play) is terrific value, I really donít care how the deal is structured.

Ajackalit is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
  #183
digger18
Registered User
 
digger18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Williams Lake B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
I really cant see Henrik and Daniel coming back next year.

Gillis says hes only willing to pay them below market value, because they should feel lucky to be playing in Vancouver. Those kind of commments tell me that talks with the Agent wont go very well.

There will be other teams who are willing to pay 2-2.5M a year more and this is the Sedins big ticket UFA contract of their carreers. They will take all the money they can get!

In the post season presser, Gillis specifically mentioned teams like LA, Phx, STL and Chitown as the clear teams on the rise. HE also mentioned that they are counting on young players like Hodgson and Grabner cracking the lineup next year and having a chance to play. I honestly think Gillis is going to leave some cap space in the bank and not do anything stupid on July 1. The cap is expected to drop next year and he has Kesler and Luongo to worry about re-signing. I cant see Gillis putting all of his eggs in the Sedins basket and or picking up a player like Gaborik/JBO.....Only to leave himself no cap space to make sure Luongo and Kesler stick around.

I honestly think that Gillis plans on icing a younger team next year, and head into the 2010-11 season, in a position that he isnt screwed by a 5-10 million dollar drop in the slalary cap.

If Gillis spends a bunch of money on UFA players this off-season, you can pretty well count on Luongo and or Kesler being gone. I dont know how the rest of you feel, but I would choose those 2 guys over the Sedins any day of the week!

digger18 is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
  #184
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Sedins want $40M/5 years each

http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html

Put in June 11 and 8:00 AM hour (forward to 17:50).



__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
  #185
digger18
Registered User
 
digger18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Williams Lake B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html

Put in June 11 and 8:00 AM hour (forward to 17:50).


Good then theyre gone foresure....Thank you heavens!!!!!

digger18 is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
  #186
hockeyfan666666
Registered User
 
hockeyfan666666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html

Put in June 11 and 8:00 AM hour (forward to 17:50).


holy crap, well I guess it's time for Plan B V2


hockeyfan666666 is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
  #187
Cocomero*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,498
vCash: 500
Well folks, it was inevitable....Goodbye Sedins.

We are going into a dark few years.

Cocomero* is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
  #188
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Although to be fair it's Neil McRae reporting that, and the total seems way out of whack, but if indeed true they can hit the bricks.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
  #189
digger18
Registered User
 
digger18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Williams Lake B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post
Well folks, it was inevitable....Goodbye Sedins.

We are going into a dark few years.
Have some optimism, at least we wont have to watch the Sedins get knocked around like little girls playing for our team anymore.

We can cheer when our players are the ones knocking them around, instead of feeling shame and embarrasment.

digger18 is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
  #190
hockeyfan666666
Registered User
 
hockeyfan666666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Although to be fair it's Neil McRae reporting that, and the total seems way out of whack, but if indeed true they can hit the bricks.
..and the source is basically a rumor reported by the "anonymous high-up man's" drinking buddies. I still don't believe it 100%

hockeyfan666666 is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
  #191
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan666666 View Post
..and the source is basically a rumor reported by the "anonymous high-up man's" drinking buddies. I still don't believe it 100%
I haven't listened to it myself, just saw it on another board and thought it was worth posting. But still...I don't think it's 100% fabricated.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
  #192
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,642
vCash: 500
I don't know, I have a hard time buying that. The source is 'a high up official in the Canucks' that was talking to some drinking buddies. Not only do the Sedins want $80 million over 5 years but Luongo is going to leave too, apparently, and so the Canucks are going to trade him to maximize their return.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
  #193
Zorbane
Registered User
 
Zorbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,614
vCash: 500
Wow this is total BS

8 million a year?

I call shenanigans

Zorbane is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
  #194
Cocomero*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Have some optimism, at least we wont have to watch the Sedins get knocked around like little girls playing for our team anymore.

We can cheer when our players are the ones knocking them around, instead of feeling shame and embarrasment.
Yeah lets look at the bright side, we don't have to torture ourselves anymore by watching consistent durable players score! We can sign Gaborik to play 30 games and go through numerous goalless droughts! AWESOME!!!!!!

Cocomero* is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:29 PM
  #195
Warren Piece
Registered User
 
Warren Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,741
vCash: 500
Luongo for Heatley just got a whole lot more realistic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Warren Piece is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
  #196
digger18
Registered User
 
digger18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Williams Lake B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Well I dont want Gaborik signed either.

digger18 is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
  #197
Macke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,756
vCash: 500
That can't be true, but i'm in the group that wants them gone (unless they take a very cap friendly deal..) so I wouldn't exactly mind that <_>.

Macke* is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:32 PM
  #198
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Perhaps it could be the Sedins pissed off with Gillis low-balling them and dicking with them that they're setting this price or else they walk?

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
  #199
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 500
Gees - overstated opinionated BS. Must be McCrae.

McCrae doesn't really have his finger on the pulse of anything sports related. He's just a big mouth who works way to hard at maintaining his tough, independent and critical image. McCrae doesn't have any inside sources with the Canucks; they don't even talk to him.

I sincerely doubt anyone "high up" in the Canucks organization, even with lots of booze involved would leak that the Sedins are asking for $40M each or that Luongo is likely gone as well.


Last edited by LeftCoast: 06-11-2009 at 01:55 PM.
LeftCoast is offline  
Old
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
  #200
ChemicalHansen
Registered User
 
ChemicalHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html

Put in June 11 and 8:00 AM hour (forward to 17:50).


And here I thought Team 1040 was the ultimate attention hoar of Vancouver radio.

ChemicalHansen is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.