HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expressen: Sedins ask for $63 million over 12 years each - Sedin Contract Talks Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
CKNW? Hockey? Canucks?

Someone getting punk'd

Old
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Cocomero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Perhaps it could be the Sedins pissed off with Gillis low-balling them and dicking with them that they're setting this price or else they walk?
If this is the case, Gillis should just dick them back by trading their rights for a 7th rounder to Toronto. Let them rot with a ****** team for the next few years.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:39 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Perhaps it could be the Sedins pissed off with Gillis low-balling them and dicking with them that they're setting this price or else they walk?
How can you have absolutely no sense of their personalities after how long they've played in this city?

This reminds me a lot of of the rhetoric and panic leading up the Naslund signing.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:40 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I can't believe he's going with a drinking story as a report, I don't buy this for one second. I can't believe how unprofessional that "news" story was.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:41 PM
digger18

And what a mistake that Naslund signing turned out to be!

Old
06-11-2009, 01:42 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

If that is true, it works out great for Gillis as he will have nearly the entire fan base agree with leaving the Sedins unsigned. If he let's them walk at 6M per year, the fanbase will be divided.

I do highly doubt that they are asking that much but maybe they are using the Sundin contract as the comparable.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I can't believe he's going with a drinking story as a report, I don't buy this for one second. I can't believe how unprofessional that "news" story was.
Sometime things get said during a drinking session, that normally would get kept under wraps.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Ernie

I call BS as well.

But I think we'll hear something soon. I'd expect Gillis to leak something in the coming hours through a more respected source that will clear things up a little.

The best info we've heard is what Strachan said on HNIC, where he basically said talks were progressing well.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:44 PM
crazycanuck

This sounds like BS to me. There are only 3 players who have contracts with a cap hit larger than 8M Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin. The Sedins won't get anything near 8M a season from any team.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa View Post
If that is true, it works out great for Gillis as he will have nearly the entire fan base agree with leaving the Sedins unsigned. If he let's them walk at 6M per year, the fanbase will be divided.

I do highly doubt that they are asking that much but maybe they are using the Sundin contract as the comparable.
Bingo....I knew that rediculous offer Gillis made to Sundin was going to come back and bite him in the behind at some point.

He cannot explain how Sundin is worth 10 Million and year and other players with similar points per season outputs with no cup rings, are not worth that amount.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Pacem

Meh, I don't believe that at all. McRae is entertaining because he's a bit of a goof, and he makes me laugh with his opinions, but he doesn't really say anything worthwhile.

He could have got the 80m figure right. Maybe their agent started at like 80m over 6 years. Which wouldn't be out of the ordinary for their agent to start high and go from there.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Signing a 28 year old is much much less risky than signing a 33 year old. Also, at current cap numbers, Naslund's contract would be worth $9m.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Bingo....I knew that rediculous offer Gillis made to Sundin was going to come back and bite him in the behind at some point.

He cannot explain how Sundin is worth 10 Million and year and other players with similar points per season outputs with no cup rings, are not worth that amount.
He can't explain it?

Pretty simple to explain...tell any prospective player to go check the all time goal scoring, assist and points leader lists.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Wetcoaster

Here is the latest on the Sedins negotiations directly from Gillis on Pratt and Taylor as 09 June 2009:
Quote:
Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis told Pratt and Taylor Tuesday that talks have begun with the Sedins, but he wasn't willing to say how far along they are or what progress has been made.
Gillis said he doesn't put much stock in those $7 million reports, but he reiterated that the Canucks are confident they can get deals done by the draft.

"You never know until they're actually signed and you get down to the nitty-gritty of these things, but often times there's a long pre-amble to getting right down to where the most you can spend and what they're willing to accept, and we're confident we can get to that point pretty shortly here."
http://team1040.ca/news/story/?id=2109

Old
06-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
It could be that they want the first 5 years to pay $40M with the last 5 going down from there? Total overpayment if that's the case.

Like I said in my earlier post, I think they're worth a maximum of $6.25M per season.

One more thing: if they sign elsewhere, the Sedins will regret it. No upside for them.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
I knew someone would make that stupid connection and ignore the point of the comment. I was waiting for it to be you or Pauser. And Pauser never disappoints me.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:58 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Here is the latest on the Sedins negottiation directly from Gillis on Pratt and Taylor as 09 June 2009:
Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis told Pratt and Taylor Tuesday that talks have begun with the Sedins, but he wasn't willing to say how far along they are or what progress has been made.
Gillis said he doesn't put much stock in those $7 million reports, but he reiterated that the Canucks are confident they can get deals done by the draft.

"You never know until they're actually signed and you get down to the nitty-gritty of these things, but often times there's a long pre-amble to getting right down to where the most you can spend and what they're willing to accept, and we're confident we can get to that point pretty shortly here."
http://team1040.ca/news/story/?id=2109
bah I'd go with fourth hand "high up guy drinking with his buddies" story myself.

On second thought I'll go with the Gillis story on this one. Not to mention that Barry is one of the most vocal agents who likes to negotiate in the press and he has been silent on this. At this point if nothing was going to get done I would expect Barry to be preparing the UFA market for the arrival of the twins.

Not to say that the drinking story couldn't happen but the listener was also likely drunk and heard "the Sedins want $8 mil a year over 5 years and they're gone" when "well if they ask for something stupid like $8 mil year then they're gone" was actually said.

Old
06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
bah I'd go with fourth hand "high up guy drinking with his buddies" story myself.

On second thought I'll go with the Gillis story on this one. Not to mention that Barry is one of the most vocal agents who likes to negotiate in the press and he has been silent on this. At this point if nothing was going to get done I would expect Barry to be preparing the UFA market for the arrival of the twins.

Not to say that the drinking story couldn't happen but the listener was also likely drunk and heard "the Sedins want $8 mil a year over 5 years and they're gone" when "well if they ask for something stupid like $8 mil year then they're gone" was actually said.
How could you not believe "IceMan" the intrepid blogger at Bleacher Report who broke this story:
Quote:
IceMan's Bio

A Passionate Fan's Perspective of all the Vancouver Canucks (NHL) hockey games, personnel, trades, benchings, who's scoring, why not, who should be benched, systems, cap space, the playoff race, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and now some background.

I never played at the Junior, Pro or Semi-Pro level or coached at any of those either. What I am is a "Good Canadian Kid", who grew up with skates on his feet at 7.
http://bleacherreport.com/users/106584-IceMan

See no mention of hitting the pub with his buddies.

Old
06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
LeftCoast

McCrae is full of crap.

The number of people on the Canucks side who would be privy to the details of negotiations with the Sedins would be:

Mike Gillis
Laurence Gilman
Lorne Henning

When it gets to the point of writing a contract, the team's General Counsel, Jon Festinger would be involved.

If it came down to a ridiculous number from the Sedins (such as $8M per year) or an unconventional offer from the Canucks (say 10 years or more), the Acquilini brothers, general counsel and CFO (Todd Kobus) would also be involved/consulted.

Now call me silly, but I just can't see any of these guys having drinks with a known blow hard such as Neil McCrae let alone getting drunk and letting slip details of negotiations.

Old
06-11-2009, 02:26 PM
topheavyhookjaw

I'm not sure what I think of that 'report.'

On one hand I've speculated myself that Gillis doesn't think this team will be able to win with Luongo and the Sedins, and he is of the mind we have to build through the draft and get younger, however I thought that would culminate with trading the twins and then dealing Luongo. Neither has happened so far so I am skeptical. That's what makes me almost believe McCrae's crap. If it comes out that the twins are asking for big dollars, no one will be upset if they walk, even the biggest Sedin supporters won't want them at a 7 or 8 million dollar cap hit. And if Schneider continues to impress, Luongo can be moved to make the team better.

On the other hand, I listen to Gillis talk about both the twins and Luongo. He says they're the guys to build around, confirms that he is confident that they will be able to re-sign the twins and extend Luongo. This coupled with Neil McCrae's credibility makes me think this whole report is garbage, and the twins will sign cap friendly deals.

Frankly, I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Old
06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

The fact that this "report" is getting serious discussion confirms that it's a slow news day here in Vancouver.

Old
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Macke*

Are they talking about this on the TEAM too?

Old
06-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Tiranis

Hahahaha... some of you actually believe this crap? No wonder tabloids still sell so well. Doesn't hurt to actually think a little about what you hear or read, instead of just assuming it's true.

Old
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Why does McRae have a job? By far the most unprofessional broadcaster in the province.

Old
06-11-2009, 04:09 PM
digger18

Because some people enjoy listening to his 5 minute rants.

Closed Thread