HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Alexei Zhitnik that good in LA?

Old
06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Was Alexei Zhitnik that good in LA?

I was watching the goals scored by the Kings in the 92-93 playoffs.

Of course, it was hard to notice anyone but Gretzky

But I thought that our best offensive defenseman was Zhitnik, followed by Blake

Was he this good this often?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Meh. He was always a pretty good defenseman, but nothing spectacular. He was an assist machine while he was here but that could be said about anyone that played with Gretzky. I dunno... Throughout most of his career he was able to produce consistently, though that has gone down in recent years, but I don't think it is a coincidence that it coincides with his age going up (one of those players that couldn't age well and transition in the "new NHL"). I think he led a pretty good career all things considered.

I always thought he was good in LA. I was sorry to see him go in the Fuhr trade... But that's the way things went back then.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
He was good but loved the vodka and had issues with the Russian mob. Hence hte reason he was dealt from L.A.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Birdman

He had 2 good seasons playing with Blake. He could seriously lug the puck up the ice, but Norstrom was a better long term fit to play alongside Blake based on his NHL performance, but he got dealt during the McNall explosion/McMaster Disaster for Grant Fuhr.

He goes to Buffalo, and they turn him into a serviceable Defenseman and he stops scoring goals.

Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:26 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He was good but loved the vodka and had issues with the Russian mob. Hence hte reason he was dealt from L.A.
This...and his shot was a threat to low flying aircraft...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:31 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
He was good, but Reaper hit the nail on the head. The man liked his Vodka. The bartenders at Harry O's poured him non-stop!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:34 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
depends on who you ask. i wasn't particularly sold on him, but i was also about 19/20 years old when he started out.

he was a decent offensive threat, but was never particularly good in his own end.

he once had Paul Coffey and his whole world in front of him, and then Coffey was traded.

he was very good in that playoffs and followed it up with a sophomore season almost identical to that rookie year... then Wayne decided to scramble scurry from his bench GM position, so they traded Alex as part of a deal that brought Grant Fuhr.

Alex had only one other 40 point season in his career, never having better regular season numbers than his first two in Los Angeles and had similar post-season numbers only once with Buffalo in 1999 (when they lost to Dallas in the finals) as the numbers he had in 1993.

there were also a number of rumors at the time that Zhitnik liked the drinky drink a little too much.

i've said it before... the thing i'm most disappointed with regarding the whole Zhitnik story was that the Kings let Boucher walk for nothing.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 02:15 AM
HookKing

Melrose claimed he skated like Bobby Orr. Guy couldn't hit the net to save his life. I guess he liked "high" in more ways than one.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:37 AM
not tellin*

i loved him when he was here, but he really didn't do much with his career after he left.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:39 AM
VictoryRose

AZ's biggest challenge, throughout his career, was proving he cared about hockey enough to do what people asked him to.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!

Always liked him, he was one tough Zhit. The Coffey trade to Detroit still makes me angry.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Johnny Utah

People trashed that trade but Phillipe Bouchers last year as a King + playoffs and first 2-3 as a Star he just as good as Zhitnik if not a better all around D.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Quattro

Quote:
people always bring this up, but it is totally unsubstantiated. If he was such a raging alcoholic, how did he play for ~15 years in the league, including all-star games?

He was my favorite player at the time and I maintain that his trade to Buffalo for Fuhr was one of the worst in Kings history. Beginning of the end for the Black & Silver era Kings.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
i loved him when he was here, but he really didn't do much with his career after he left.
fail

Old
06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
Melrose claimed he skated like Bobby Orr. Guy couldn't hit the net to save his life. I guess he liked "high" in more ways than one.
One thing I definitely remember was it was nice having a defenseman that could turn and burn with Glenn Anderson and keep him to the outside instead of getting beat.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Rumpelstiltskin
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
True Story: My senior year in college (2003, UC Irvine), I took an Organized Crime class where THIS http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Mafia-...967570&sr=8-33 book was assigned. There're a couple of paragraphs in there about Zhitnek, with him being extorted by the Russian Mafia, etc. (pretty shady stuff, naturally). The "funny" part was when the professor --who was essentially my mentor at the school, and knew I was a Kings' fan--started razzing on the Kings, and trumpeting the Ducks being in the playoffs, in the middle of the lecture...ah, memories...

Last edited by Rumpelstiltskin: 06-02-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:37 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Though I was young at the time, I loved Zhitnik.

As for Boucher, letting him go was really stupid.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:53 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Nobody wants to talk about Denis Tsygurov? The softest NHL player I have ever seen, he appeared scared out on the ice. I liked Zhitnik, when the trade went down I was stoked to get Fuhr because I thought it would finally cure the Kings goaltending woes (funny how much things change in 14 years). Unfortunately, Fuhr was swallowed up by the black hole in LA and his only highlight was giving up a great goal to Alex Zhamnov at the Forum. I think Zhitnik suffered the same fate as many NHL players after they were seperated from Wayne, including Jari Kurri and Vitali Yachmanev. Overall that was a stinker of a deal and is 1 of the many reasons the Kings are still re-building to this day.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 02:13 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Nobody wants to talk about Denis Tsygurov? The softest NHL player I have ever seen, he appeared scared out on the ice. I liked Zhitnik, when the trade went down I was stoked to get Fuhr because I thought it would finally cure the Kings goaltending woes (funny how much things change in 14 years). Unfortunately, Fuhr was swallowed up by the black hole in LA and his only highlight was giving up a great goal to Alex Zhamnov at the Forum. I think Zhitnik suffered the same fate as many NHL players after they were seperated from Wayne, including Jari Kurri and Vitali Yachmanev. Overall that was a stinker of a deal and is 1 of the many reasons the Kings are still re-building to this day.
I disagree.Didn't Kurri score more goals and points the yr after Gretzky was traded than when playing with him in 87-88? Yes he missed Wayne, but Gretzky's totals also took a hit without Kurri who was a very under rated two way player.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 02:27 AM
northernKing

Since being traded for each other Boucher scored 87 goals to Zhitniks 70. Value wise the deal was good for LA but by letting Fuhr and later Boucher walk as UFA it looked bad. Still FAR from LA's worst deal.

Old
06-03-2009, 10:11 PM
ru4reals

Zhitnik who?

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
One thing I definitely remember was it was nice having a defenseman that could turn and burn with Glenn Anderson and keep him to the outside instead of getting beat.
He was also great at shutting down Bure.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Since being traded for each other Boucher scored 87 goals to Zhitniks 70. Value wise the deal was good for LA but by letting Fuhr and later Boucher walk as UFA it looked bad. Still FAR from LA's worst deal.
W T F ?

In what way, shape or form was that a good deal for LA? Fuhr was a complete disaster for the Kings ( not to mention that the Kings DIDN'T NEED A GOALIE AT THAT TIME) and Z went on to a 15 yr solid NHL career. WORST DEAL EVER.

Old
06-04-2009, 01:32 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
W T F ?

In what way, shape or form was that a good deal for LA? Fuhr was a complete disaster for the Kings ( not to mention that the Kings DIDN'T NEED A GOALIE AT THAT TIME) and Z went on to a 15 yr solid NHL career. WORST DEAL EVER.
Zhitnik scored 364 points after the deal to Bouchers 277. Fuhr went on to play very well for St.Louis. IMO is was a fair trade. WORST DEAL EVER? For LA or in hockey history?

Old
06-04-2009, 01:33 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
W T F ?

According to your way of thinking wasn't the Blake deal much worse?