HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stickhandling drills for the summer

Old
06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Semper Sens

vCash: 500
Stickhandling drills for the summer

Hey guys,

I was thinking we could all share (off-ice) stickhandling drills we are going to be practicing over the summer, what with all the high school students starting vacation within a week or so. If you're not going to be practicing, give the rest of us ideas please .

I've watched the Stickhandling Beyond Belief videos, the Off-ice training video from Team Canada Skills of Gold but most of their drills either seem very boring or require stuff I think most of us don't have. Hopefully the drills shared here will need little other than a surface, a stick, a puck or ball, and the odd piece of furniture or pylon.

Things to include in your drill description:

- List equipment needed (excluding a stick, gloves)
- Give tips on what the drill is supposed to work (or at least what you hope it will - -- work)
- Things to focus on
- a quick MS Paint diagram
- a youtube video if you're comfortable

I only have a couple, which is kind of why I made the thread, but here are mine.

1) Obviously first there is just stickhandling around a chair and trying to be creative.

Equipment needed: a ball of some sort, a chair or some pylons if desired.
Most people do this to help their overall speed and comfort with the puck.

Things to try: Keeping your headup, trying to read a poster on the wall as you stickhandle, circle the chair.

2) Fake for underneath stick to opposite side

Equipment needed: A chair, a ball .

Diagram

In the red boxes, I try to dribble as fast I can, without looking down at all. I move from spot to spot as fluidly and as quickly as I can, again without looking down. When you get to spot number 4, fake as though you are trying to slip the puck under the defenseman's "stick" (the stick located as in the diagram in the upper right corner; really just the between the two legs on the left of the chair) to the spot marked F. When you get to spot 5, tap the puck as quickly as possible so it ends up at spot 6.

I have no idea if this would work on ice but I figure it will at least be useful for practicing redirecting the puck quickly in tight areas, and being able to move your stick in tight areas without banging into stuff.

Things to focus on: loose bottom hand, feeling the puck, dribbling without looking down, not hitting the chair legs, try to catch the puck at spot 6, everything as fast as possible.

3) I like the name "The Factory" I think Skinner calls his similar drill "The Wheel" There is no pass through the legs in his though.

Equipment needed: A puck, a smooth surface

You just alternate between toe dragging and pushing the puck from spot to spot.

Things to focus on: Making the puck go straight through your feet when going from spot 5 to 6, turning around to catch the puck as quickly as possible at spot 6, power on the backhand drag, setting up the backhand toe drag as quickly as possible, overall quickness of completion, try to look up at least a bit, smoothness, try to add fakes in as well, loose bottom hand.

Just a note, we were drilling in the basement over the weekend and some sawdust fell on to the floor. I vaccuumed it but left a little (not a visible amount really) and now the puck slides much smoother. An idea for those who have an unfinished basement floor to work with.

OK, enjoy and practice hard. Hopefully a more fruitful season awaits us all next year!

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Hey guys,

I was thinking we could all share (off-ice) stickhandling drills we are going to be practicing over the summer, what with all the high school students starting vacation within a week or so. If you're not going to be practicing, give the rest of us ideas please .

I've watched the Stickhandling Beyond Belief videos, the Off-ice training video from Team Canada Skills of Gold but most of their drills either seem very boring or require stuff I think most of us don't have. Hopefully the drills shared here will need little other than a surface, a stick, a puck or ball, and the odd piece of furniture or pylon.

Things to include in your drill description:

- List equipment needed (excluding a stick, gloves)
- Give tips on what the drill is supposed to work (or at least what you hope it will - -- work)
- Things to focus on
- a quick MS Paint diagram
- a youtube video if you're comfortable

I only have a couple, which is kind of why I made the thread, but here are mine.

1) Obviously first there is just stickhandling around a chair and trying to be creative.

Equipment needed: a ball of some sort, a chair or some pylons if desired.
Most people do this to help their overall speed and comfort with the puck.

Things to try: Keeping your headup, trying to read a poster on the wall as you stickhandle, circle the chair.

2) Fake for underneath stick to opposite side

Equipment needed: A chair, a ball .

Diagram

In the red boxes, I try to dribble as fast I can, without looking down at all. I move from spot to spot as fluidly and as quickly as I can, again without looking down. When you get to spot number 4, fake as though you are trying to slip the puck under the defenseman's "stick" (the stick located as in the diagram in the upper right corner; really just the between the two legs on the left of the chair) to the spot marked F. When you get to spot 5, tap the puck as quickly as possible so it ends up at spot 6.

I have no idea if this would work on ice but I figure it will at least be useful for practicing redirecting the puck quickly in tight areas, and being able to move your stick in tight areas without banging into stuff.

Things to focus on: loose bottom hand, feeling the puck, dribbling without looking down, not hitting the chair legs, try to catch the puck at spot 6, everything as fast as possible.

3) I like the name "The Factory" I think Skinner calls his similar drill "The Wheel" There is no pass through the legs in his though.

Equipment needed: A puck, a smooth surface

You just alternate between toe dragging and pushing the puck from spot to spot.

Things to focus on: Making the puck go straight through your feet when going from spot 5 to 6, turning around to catch the puck as quickly as possible at spot 6, power on the backhand drag, setting up the backhand toe drag as quickly as possible, overall quickness of completion, try to look up at least a bit, smoothness, try to add fakes in as well, loose bottom hand.

Just a note, we were drilling in the basement over the weekend and some sawdust fell on to the floor. I vaccuumed it but left a little (not a visible amount really) and now the puck slides much smoother. An idea for those who have an unfinished basement floor to work with.

OK, enjoy and practice hard. Hopefully a more fruitful season awaits us all next year!
Themz photos look like dancing moves too Awesomeness.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Themz photos look like dancing moves too Awesomeness.
lol maybe that's something else they'll with cuz I can't dance for ****. The second one is kind of like a dance though, when you get good at it it feels really smooth and you don't get tired, you just keep going ... out to the front, back to the foot, out to the side... Feel the rhythym!

The chair one is just tiring and really frusturating if you're having an off day.

Old
06-17-2009, 04:58 PM
milkshow

There's this one where you set up 3 pucks to form a triangle and stickhandle through them. There' a video of Alex Kovalev doing this on youtube, I'll try to find it later.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:00 PM
milkshow

Could someone please tell me how to get the youtube video in here. What I did was I clicked on the youtube icon and copy and pasted the youtube addresse.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Semper Sens

To put embed a youtube video you need only the youtube tag. For example, to embed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTcu6rEOCws

You would write the "GTcu6rEOCws" without the quotations, select it, and then push the youtube icon.