HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

6th overall & Ed Jovanovski to the Maple Leafs

Old
06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
6th overall & Ed Jovanovski to the Maple Leafs

What would it take to acquire the 6th overall pick and Ed Jovanovski from Phoenix (assuming the Leafs' 7th overall pick is not involved)?

Phoenix filing for bankruptcy likely means that they will try and shed some of the big salaries from their roster this summer. Jovanovski makes the most with a 6.5 million cap hit for the next two years.

Brian Burke has said in the past that he's willing to "sell" the Leafs' cap space and potentially take on big contracts. Jovanovski played for Burke in Vancouver, and might be someone that Burke is interested in bringing in to replace Kaberle and/or Kubina on the top pairing for the Leafs. Additionally, Brayden Schenn is supposed to go to 6th overall, which may further motivate the Leafs to trade for that pick.

The player most likely to be included in any package is probably Ian White, as he only makes 850k next year and is an RFA in '10. Of course more would need to go along with him, but what would it take?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Enough to get the Coyotes to the cap floor since getting rid of their largest contract would put them well below it.

Also someone to play 20-25 minutes with a physical edge per game on defense including time on the first PP unit.

Nothing much makes sense, especially if the 7th pick isn't involved.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:18 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I think you gave the best reason why the Yotes will keep the pick.

At #6 you could get a great player whose salary number will be signifigantly lower for 4-6 years down the line.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
What would it take to acquire the 6th overall pick and Ed Jovanovski from Phoenix (assuming the Leafs' 7th overall pick is not involved)?

Phoenix filing for bankruptcy likely means that they will try and shed some of the big salaries from their roster this summer. Jovanovski makes the most with a 6.5 million cap hit for the next two years.

Brian Burke has said in the past that he's willing to "sell" the Leafs' cap space and potentially take on big contracts. Jovanovski played for Burke in Vancouver, and might be someone that Burke is interested in bringing in to replace Kaberle and/or Kubina on the top pairing for the Leafs. Additionally, Brayden Schenn is supposed to go to 6th overall, which may further motivate the Leafs to trade for that pick.

The player most likely to be included in any package is probably Ian White, as he only makes 850k next year and is an RFA in '10. Of course more would need to go along with him, but what would it take?
Leafs fans never give up I swear. Greedy as hell.

7th pick+ or Schenn would HAVE to be involved.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Enough to get the Coyotes to the cap floor since getting rid of their largest contract would put them well below it.
The cap floor was 40 million this year and may rise to 42 million next season. The Coyotes are currently at 45.5 million and removing Jovanovski's salary (6.0) and adding at the very least White's salary (0.850) brings them to 40.3 million. Also keep in mind that they have seven RFA's on the roster (Lombardi, Prucha, Upshall, Dawes, Yandle, Lisin and Winnik) and only two notable UFAs (Kalinin and Reinprecht), thus resigning all of their RFA's will once again put them over the cap floor

Quote:
Also someone to play 20-25 minutes with a physical edge per game on defense including time on the first PP unit.
The Coyotes will not be in any position to make the playoffs next season. Bankruptcy and the looming threat of relocation take precedence over putting a competitive team on the ice next season. The owner (Moyes or Balsillie) won't concern themselves with replacing what Jovanovski brings on the ice, just like they haven't/won't replace Jokinen or Morris.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post

Isn't the guy a Jets/Yotes fan?

Anyway, why would the 7th pick and Schenn have to be involved for moving up ONE spot and taking on what sounds like an undesirable contract? Seems to me that Jovanovski contract would be carrying negative value in this context.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:

And Phoenix fans are always quick to generalize.

Obviously any trade involving the 6th overall would be a small-time trade up from the 7th. The 7th plus a 2nd or something along those lines. Phoenix is not going to be taking part in any blockbusters anytime soon.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
The Coyotes will not be in any position to make the playoffs next season. Bankruptcy and the looming threat of relocation take precedence over putting a competitive team on the ice next season. The owner (Moyes or Balsillie) won't concern themselves with replacing what Jovanovski brings on the ice, just like they haven't/won't replace Jokinen or Morris.
Another great point... why is it necessary to keep Jovo for two more seasons? Is the team really going anywhere anytime soon? (asides from Hamilton )

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

The OP is looking for proposals that DO NOT include the 7th so it's not a trade up he's looking for.

As for the notion that this situation means they will lose all focus on icing a competitive team next year I don't buy that. if that is the case they may as well fold up shop. Whoever owns the team when the puck drops on the season will have a vested interest in putting people in the seats.

Old
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
So your solution is to make them completely noncompetitive now and in the future (no pick), so that no one goes to any games (unless "more" includes a bevy of cheap, but effective players, of which the Leafs have few)? This helps them stave off bankruptcy how exactly?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Another great point... why is it necessary to keep Jovo for two more seasons? Is the team really going anywhere anytime soon? (asides from Hamilton )
We can only hope it does.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
sgupca

Quote:

Guy isn't a leaf fan.

Every single one of your post (towards the leafs) is trolling. Maybe you should learn to do some research before you post.

sgupca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:50 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
And Phoenix fans are always quick to generalize.

Obviously any trade involving the 6th overall would be a small-time trade up from the 7th. The 7th plus a 2nd or something along those lines. Phoenix is not going to be taking part in any blockbusters anytime soon.
Exactly,

i doubt you'll see too much movement (playings coming in and out) in Phoenix this summer.

sgupca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
I would say something that would make the Yotes a playoff team next year while still giving them futures so losing the 6th doesnt hurt as much. Realistically, Phoenix's 'build' (no re) is about 3 years ahead of toronto's so burke would be building for down the road while phoenix needs help now.

How about:

To Yotes: Kaberle (groan), White (yay), and Kulemin (meh)
To Leafs: 6th overall (yay), Jovocop (groan), Hale (minors or bought out).

yotes look like:
Mueller-Turris-Doan
Boedeker-Lombardi-Tikhonov
Upshall-Hanzal-Kulemin
Fedoruk/Prucha/Maclean-Winnik/Prust/Lindstrom/Porter/Koralik-Lisin

Kaberle-Michalek
Yandle-White
Sauer-Ahnelov/Ross/Goncharov

Bryzgalov-Montoya

not great, but not too shabby either. The defense is much better than what they started with last year, and good development from the forward corps should lead to a playoff berth, as long as bryzgalov can do better than he did last year in goal. Salary wise this would be a team very close to the floor, and because much of the team is waiver exempt, competition should keep everyone fresh and push them to be better (as long as gretz/new coach keeps them accountable).

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I don't see any reason why the Coyotes gives give the 6th overall pick... it's just not necessary at all for that team to do that.

And Jovo's contract isn't much of a problem for them either... they are just above the cap floor and don't really need to cut... and while they have several RFAs, none of them really are in a position to get a substantial increase, while the team has already cut Jokinen's contract last season.

having said that, I could definitely see Jovo traded ... he is in his prime right now, and likely wouldn't complain if he was moved to a more competitive team... but the Coyotes are definitely not in a situation where they're forced to move him... maybe a Kubina-Jovo swap could help both teams.... Kubina's contract expires after next season, while Jovo has another year left - could work into both team's advantages here, while giving them a replacement big minute 2-way dman?

The 6th overall though, I can't see any reason at all they'd move that pick right now... they have several good young players to make up their roster next season, don't need any new or big contracts to add, and won't be under any pressure at all to sell the farm (or give up a highly coveted top pick) to win now...

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I would say something that would make the Yotes a playoff team next year while still giving them futures so losing the 6th doesnt hurt as much. Realistically, Phoenix's 'build' (no re) is about 3 years ahead of toronto's so burke would be building for down the road while phoenix needs help now.

How about:

To Yotes: Kaberle (groan), White (yay), and Kulemin (meh)
To Leafs: 6th overall (yay), Jovocop (groan), Hale (minors or bought out).

yotes look like:
Mueller-Turris-Doan
Boedeker-Lombardi-Tikhonov
Upshall-Hanzal-Kulemin
Fedoruk/Prucha/Maclean-Winnik/Prust/Lindstrom/Porter/Koralik-Lisin

Kaberle-Michalek
Yandle-White
Sauer-Ahnelov/Ross/Goncharov

Bryzgalov-Montoya

not great, but not too shabby either. The defense is much better than what they started with last year, and good development from the forward corps should lead to a playoff berth, as long as bryzgalov can do better than he did last year in goal. Salary wise this would be a team very close to the floor, and because much of the team is waiver exempt, competition should keep everyone fresh and push them to be better (as long as gretz/new coach keeps them accountable).
Absolutely not. We have no reason at all to waste a #6 pick on this trade just to swap out Jovo for something. If Toronto really wants to save us salary. We have Hale and Fedoruk to get rid of.

indczn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
phlocky

I can see them maybe moving Jovo but why the 6th overall??? I mean they NEED great young talent that doesn't cost very much. You are expecting them to go the wrong way with this one. I think it would be more likely for them to trade Jovo + 09 2nd for the Leafs 7th overall pick in 09. THAT just seems to me to be more in line with what would be best fo the Yotes. Maybe the Leafs want to go into rebuild mode too and won't deal the 7th overall but EXPECTING a team like Pho to practically give away their 6th overall pick just doesn't make any sense to me.

Hell, if I were them I wouldn't trade you the 6th overall straight up for Schenn and I know that the Leafs won't trade him.

So let's get this straight, you want the 2 most valuable assets on the Yotes in Jovo and the 6th overall but you don't want to give up either of your top 2 assests in Schenn or the 7th overall to aquire them. Is that right??? Good luck with that one.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Lorenzo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I can see them maybe moving Jovo but why the 6th overall??? I mean they NEED great young talent that doesn't cost very much. You are expecting them to go the wrong way with this one. I think it would be more likely for them to trade Jovo + 09 2nd for the Leafs 7th overall pick in 09. THAT just seems to me to be more in line with what would be best fo the Yotes. Maybe the Leafs want to go into rebuild mode too and won't deal the 7th overall but EXPECTING a team like Pho to practically give away their 6th overall pick just doesn't make any sense to me.

Hell, if I were them I wouldn't trade you the 6th overall straight up for Schenn and I know that the Leafs won't trade him.

So let's get this straight, you want the 2 most valuable assets on the Yotes in Jovo and the 6th overall but you don't want to give up either of your top 2 assests in Schenn or the 7th overall to aquire them. Is that right??? Good luck with that one.

Lorenzo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:50 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

I agree with not trading the 6th for Schenn (I think Cowen would be better), but the 6th and Jovo are definitely not our most valuable assets: Michalek, Doan, Turris to start...

indczn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:43 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Jovo's salary is $6 000 000 and his cap hit is $6.5 million, so your salaries can be $500 000 below the cap floor.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:

Your agenda is pitiful. Why would the Leafs give up Schenn or the 7th to move up one spot? Use your brain.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Your agenda is pitiful. Why would the Leafs give up Schenn or the 7th to move up one spot? Use your brain.
Wait, I'm confused.

This statement didn't make any sense.

How is it possible to "move up one spot" without the 7th?

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:

Didomenico, Stefanovich, Tlusty, Hayes, Stralman and White...might do it

You chose a team that doesn't need to shed salary...

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
No one mentioned moving up...don't attack other posters, especially when you are misinterpreting their posts

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Let's be honest, a deal centered around White isn't getting the 6th and a deal centered around Jovo isn't getting the 7th.

If Burke thinks the Coyotes may grab his guy at 6 he may swing a deal to move up one spot but there will either be a 2nd/3rd rounder or an average at best younger roster guy going the other way, nothing more.