HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla nominated for Mark Messier Leadership Award

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
  #1
StreakingRed
#unsustainable
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 11,532
vCash: 500
Iginla nominated for Mark Messier Leadership Award

Quote:
Boston's Zdeno Chara, Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby and Calgary's Jarome Iginla have been selected as finalists for the Mark Messier Leadership Award.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280653

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 04:17 PM
  #2
Pacem
Registered User
 
Pacem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Langley
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Only way Iginla wins is if he butchers a family of 4.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
  #3
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
Only way Iginla wins is if he butchers a family of 4.
give it up already... jesus... you really need to learn when to drop something

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
  #4
KiwiFlamesFan
Registered User
 
KiwiFlamesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Way to go Iggy. He definately deserves the nomination. Hope he wins it

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
  #5
jeremywilhelm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
but but but.... you said he was the worst leader evAr!

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:37 PM
  #6
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
but but but.... you said he was the worst leader evAr!
not one person has said that Mod-edit: deleted.... the argument is that Regehr would be a better leader for this team right now... it's really not that difficult to grasp... and before you get all hot and bothered of this nomination... read the criteria... its obvious he is being nominated for his work off the ice with charitable organizations and being a leader in the community


Last edited by Snoil11: 06-03-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:09 PM
  #7
Pacem
Registered User
 
Pacem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Langley
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
give it up already... jesus... you really need to learn when to drop something
Sure... You going to give up on suggesting the Flames strip Iggy of the C and give it to Regehr?

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
  #8
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
LOL! First of all MEssier nominates and picks all the players I believe. It is really an ego thing for Messier imo. Secondly Regehr should have the C, or be like the champion team was with more than one C. This is not rocket science.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
  #9
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
Only way Iginla wins is if he butchers a family of 4.
You are irritating.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
  #10
jeremywilhelm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
not one person has said that you tool... the argument is that Regehr would be a better leader for this team right now... it's really not that difficult to grasp... and before you get all hot and bothered of this nomination... read the criteria... its obvious he is being nominated for his work off the ice with charitable organizations and being a leader in the community
actually, YOU did say he was a terrible leader. Many times.

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:44 PM
  #11
The Gaud Father
Registered User
 
The Gaud Father's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 50
Does it really matter which player has an extra letter on their jersey?

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:52 PM
  #12
DBU
Never Quit
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,781
vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
You are irritating.
Really? I sort of enjoyed that.

Anyways, congrats to Iggy. Would be nice to see him win it.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 07:46 PM
  #13
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Doesnt sound like this has anything to do with on ice performance or winning.

I am sure Iginla is a nice guy off the ice....

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
  #14
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever
 
Phaneufed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Georgia
Posts: 4,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Secondly Regehr should have the C, or be like the champion team was with more than one C. This is not rocket science.

Why should Regehr have the C? Is it because once he gets the C he'll automatically be Mr. Everything for the Flames, just because of the letter change on his jersey? You people's main argument is that the Flames have done nothing under Iginla.. well Regehr has been on the same team as well, as an Assistant Captain. If you want total change, you break up the core, and start fresh. Real leaders will lead no matter what letter they have on their jersey, are you saying that Regehr will all of a sudden lead more if he gets the C, and will not listen to Iginla at all because he's not captain anymore? Technically, Regehr shouldn't be Captain either, because y'know, the Flames have gone nowhere under his reign as Assistant Captain.

Phaneufed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
  #15
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Why should Regehr have the C? Is it because once he gets the C he'll automatically be Mr. Everything for the Flames, just because of the letter change on his jersey? You people's main argument is that the Flames have done nothing under Iginla.. well Regehr has been on the same team as well, as an Assistant Captain. If you want total change, you break up the core, and start fresh. Real leaders will lead no matter what letter they have on their jersey, are you saying that Regehr will all of a sudden lead more if he gets the C, and will not listen to Iginla at all because he's not captain anymore? Technically, Regehr shouldn't be Captain either, because y'know, the Flames have gone nowhere under his reign as Assistant Captain.
First off.... "you people" what am I a virus.... egads if someone has a differing point of view. I have not said the Flames have done nothing "under" Iginla. I always say that it is Regehr who calls out players who are not contributing... that is what I say... leaders make others accountable. I think there should be three C`s like the old days and no A Captains- Iginla, Regehr and Conroy. Where does this mean Iginla is "stripped" of his what some think entitled letter. Really... the bottom line is to acknowledge the leader (s) but more importantly is to hold the leadership group accountable. Simply pawning over them does the opposite.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:18 PM
  #16
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever
 
Phaneufed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Georgia
Posts: 4,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
I always say that it is Regehr who calls out players who are not contributing... that is what I say... leaders make others accountable.
How do you know for sure Iginla doesn't call out players in the locker room or on the bench? Regehr does it in the media, which could possibly add on even more pressure to players who are underperforming. We don't know for sure that Iginla doesn't do anything in the lockerroom, because we aren't there.

Quote:
I think there should be three C`s like the old dfays and no A Captains- Iginla, Regehr and Conroy.
What is the point of this though? The players know their role, and shouldn't need a letter to lead. A good example of this is Jonathan Toews in his rookie season, according to coach Savard, Toews, even without a letter, led the team and called players out in the lockerroom. He didn't need the C to lead.

Phaneufed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 10:05 PM
  #17
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Phaneufed;19779029]How do you know for sure Iginla doesn't call out players in the locker room or on the bench? Regehr does it in the media, which could possibly add on even more pressure to players who are underperforming. We don't know for sure that Iginla doesn't do anything in the lockerroom, because we aren't there.

All I have to say is since Sutter left the bench the no coach has called out players publically. Maybe I am wrong but I do not remember Iginla ever doing this. Regehr does. The calling out in public by Sutter is what started the whole team accountability trend which led them quite frankly to the finals... Since Sutter left the bench it seems an old boys club (read core) kind of floats along. As Sutter said in his Press Conference these players are tough to coach. I will not warrant a guess but there seems to be much innuendo... I could care a less as long as the team seems to progress.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
  #18
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
but but but.... you said he was the worst leader evAr!
evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!!

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:00 PM
  #19
Oblivion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
Glad to see a Flame get some recognition, but this award means nothing. Basically it's who Mark Messier likes and I'm thinking he isn't the most informed person to make the decision, is he even a member of the press or an NHLPA rep? I'm thinking he's sponsored by Pepsi/Lay's.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:46 PM
  #20
Pacem
Registered User
 
Pacem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Langley
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
LOL! First of all MEssier nominates and picks all the players I believe. It is really an ego thing for Messier imo. Secondly Regehr should have the C, or be like the champion team was with more than one C. This is not rocket science.
Ok i'll try to explain it again.

Everyone who is a fan or plays for or is associated with the Calgary Flames wants the team to improve from season to season. I'm sure we can all agree on this.

Now from my point of view. In order for a team to improve they have to make as many positive moves and eliminate the negative moves that they make. Whether those moves are aquisitions, drafting, personnel decisions etc etc.

Regehr is a great leader. Its awesome that we as a team have good leadership. We have Iginla, Regehr, and Conroy who in my mind stick out as good leaders on this team. Regehr does a fantastic job. He's vocal, he's a hard working and he would make a good captain. I don't deny that. Giving Regehr the C isn't going to make him a better leader, he's already there. If you want to look at things in an abstract way.... Calgary's problem was their defensive coverage. Defense is Regehrs specialty. Phaneuf had a horrible year defensively and hasn't really improved his defense in 4 years of playing with Regehr. Why hasn't Regehr made Phaneuf better? Maybe he isn't as good as we think he is... I'm not saying that he is bad, I really do think he is a good leader, but one can make a case that he isn't as good as we think he is. Just saying...

Stripping Iginla of the C is not a positive move. It gives Iginla no leg to stand on. It takes away any credibility he has as a leader. When Iginla is in the locker room or on the bench or at practice telling the other players... "you have to do this..." or "these guys are trying this against us and we have to..." or any number of situations where a leader steps in and is vocal... in the back of his team mates minds they'll be thinking "yeah... but you were stripped of the C". By stripping the leader of the team of the C it makes everyone on the team question him. That is counter productive to improving the team.

The only scenario thats even remotely close to the situation your suggesting is Modano being stripped of the C in Dallas. There's a couple difference's tho. Modano was on his way down, the C was giving to a younger franchise player. That, and Modano was never really confused with a great leader. Modano won a cup as a captain and Morrow hasn't captained a cup team... so who knows in the end if this works.

Its a negative move, simple as that. It doesn't improve what Regehr says or or how he acts. There is absolutely no improvement by naming Regehr the Captain.

I haven't really posted anything that I didn't already post in that other thread. There's not alot new in this post, i'm just saying it differently. I proved the Lecavailier comparison to be dead wrong. I showed the "cammy was our most consistant player" argument wrong. However instead of participating in the discussion it came down to comparing a mediocre Iginla season to that of butchering a family of four and then calling me a ****** and a moron. I resorted to the same tactics. You may find it irritating but im not going to back down from the bullying tactics of some posters. *shrugs*

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:32 AM
  #21
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Basically it's who Mark Messier likes and I'm thinking he isn't the most informed person to make the decision, is he even a member of the press or an NHLPA rep? I'm thinking he's sponsored by Pepsi/Lay's.
Yeah lol...I hated Messier. He was a major league ******* when he was with the Oilers...How many Flames career did he end with his elbow?

He became a leader later in his career though...I guess you play long enough and keep winning you can become a leader....

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
  #22
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
Yeah lol...I hated Messier. He was a major league ******* when he was with the Oilers...How many Flames career did he end with his elbow?

He became a leader later in his career though...I guess you play long enough and keep winning you can become a leader....
Hahaha true. Messier must have the biggest ego in the NHL. Look at what other top players do after playing, coaching, community service etc and Messier, well he names a trophy after himself. I wish he just got over himself already.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:41 AM
  #23
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
actually, YOU did say he was a terrible leader. Many times.
find a quote where i said he was a terrible leader. in fact find many of them since I have said it so many times

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
  #24
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
Ok i'll try to explain it again.

Everyone who is a fan or plays for or is associated with the Calgary Flames wants the team to improve from season to season. I'm sure we can all agree on this.

Now from my point of view. In order for a team to improve they have to make as many positive moves and eliminate the negative moves that they make. Whether those moves are aquisitions, drafting, personnel decisions etc etc.

Regehr is a great leader. Its awesome that we as a team have good leadership. We have Iginla, Regehr, and Conroy who in my mind stick out as good leaders on this team. Regehr does a fantastic job. He's vocal, he's a hard working and he would make a good captain. I don't deny that. Giving Regehr the C isn't going to make him a better leader, he's already there. If you want to look at things in an abstract way.... Calgary's problem was their defensive coverage. Defense is Regehrs specialty. Phaneuf had a horrible year defensively and hasn't really improved his defense in 4 years of playing with Regehr. Why hasn't Regehr made Phaneuf better? Maybe he isn't as good as we think he is... I'm not saying that he is bad, I really do think he is a good leader, but one can make a case that he isn't as good as we think he is. Just saying...

Stripping Iginla of the C is not a positive move. It gives Iginla no leg to stand on. It takes away any credibility he has as a leader. When Iginla is in the locker room or on the bench or at practice telling the other players... "you have to do this..." or "these guys are trying this against us and we have to..." or any number of situations where a leader steps in and is vocal... in the back of his team mates minds they'll be thinking "yeah... but you were stripped of the C". By stripping the leader of the team of the C it makes everyone on the team question him. That is counter productive to improving the team.

The only scenario thats even remotely close to the situation your suggesting is Modano being stripped of the C in Dallas. There's a couple difference's tho. Modano was on his way down, the C was giving to a younger franchise player. That, and Modano was never really confused with a great leader. Modano won a cup as a captain and Morrow hasn't captained a cup team... so who knows in the end if this works.

Its a negative move, simple as that. It doesn't improve what Regehr says or or how he acts. There is absolutely no improvement by naming Regehr the Captain.

I haven't really posted anything that I didn't already post in that other thread. There's not alot new in this post, i'm just saying it differently. I proved the Lecavailier comparison to be dead wrong. I showed the "cammy was our most consistant player" argument wrong. However instead of participating in the discussion it came down to comparing a mediocre Iginla season to that of butchering a family of four and then calling me a ****** and a moron. I resorted to the same tactics. You may find it irritating but im not going to back down from the bullying tactics of some posters. *shrugs*
Hmmm intersting post and I do not disagree with a lot you say. All I am trying to suggest is the team MUST have team accountability end of story. Is it coaching, leadership (core) issues?

Either way if D. Sutter is on the bench expect it to happen right away no prancing around all our prima donna core players minus Regehr or they will be ran out of town and they should be. With that said I would rather Daryl than Brent Sutter on the bench should they be the only choices.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
  #25
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,731
vCash: 2403
For those who read my posts in the other thread, they know my position on this topic and that I side with Pacem. Its fun to debate the matter, but it is really a moot point. Its not going to happen, there is no way Iginla is getting stripped of his "C". There are different types of leaders out there, and I am glad we have 3 types. We have Iginla who respected a ton by his peers as a leader (which IMO I think speaks volumes) and leads by example and fires up his teammates with the passion he plays with. We have Regehr, who is vocal and calls out his teammates plays physical, and leads on and off the ice. And Conroy who is a positive leader, and seems to be a great help in motivating his teammates, especially the younger ones.

There is an old saying in hockey, "Your best player should be your captain". Sutter pretty much said this as soon as he arrived and made Iggy our captain. To all of the Iginla critics and people knocking him, don't be so friggin' hard on a guy for having an above average year. I mean come on, its not as if he stunk this year. He still had a pretty damn good year, but still he has lots of room for improvement. People have such short memories of everything he has done for us in the past. And I can't believe how quick people are to knock someone for that. I mean the guy is a canditate to captain team Canada. And anyone who thinks that stripping Iggy of his "C" would benefit this team is crazy. The negative impact of that would have on the dressing room would far out way the positives. I'd rather trade Iginla before stripping him of his captainacy. That would ruin this team.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.