HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niedermayer or Pronger?

View Poll Results: Niedermayer or Pronger?
Scott Niedermayer 18 32.73%
Chris Pronger 37 67.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-02-2009, 06:49 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

vCash: 500
Niedermayer or Pronger?

I've heard arguments from both sides justifying who the Ducks ought to keep so here's the low-down:

Why we should keep Niedermayer:
-Can carry the team singlehandedly
-Maybe willing to take a pay cut to stay on the team
-Having Niedermayer back means the Ducks are free to trade Pronger who may or may not stay with the team after 2010 therefore, the Ducks can get something in return for Pronger instead of just letting him walk.

Why we should keep Pronger:
-Still motivated enough to play
-Younger(albeit slightly) than Scott
-Can mentor a guy like Ryan Whitney better than Scott can perhaps.
-He was traded here mainly because he requested it.

Anyways, take your pick and please make sure you explain why you chose the person you chose.

Edit: I forgot to state the fact that the Ducks' won't be able to keep both even if Scott decides to comeback.

Last edited by S.S. Giggy: 06-02-2009 at 07:06 PM.
S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Why pick when we can have both. However, if I have to choose...I would go with Chris Pronger. He is better suited to lead this team for the next four years. Scott Niedermayer's uncertainty about playing hurt this team and we need to know what we got, not what we hope to get.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Despite his stupid undecided mind, I chose S.Niedermayer because the team just is better when he's playing. I love Pronger and I almost chose him simply for the fact that he wants to be here. However, the team just plays better with Scott Niedermayer. He gives us a better chance to win. I still say do everything possible to keep both though.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Pronger was the best defenseman in the playoffs, Lidstrom included, so I pick him.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Niedermayer has more baggage with him... So I go with Pronged

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Ducks

Preferably I'd like Niedermayer to come back at a real discount, however if I had to choose I'd probably choose Pronger. It's a really tough choice because Nieds is a better captain and is so clutch when it counts, but Pronger is the best shutdown defensemen in the league in my opinion. There is nobody in the NHL I'd rather have defending a 2 on 1 than Prongs.

At the end of the day if I have to choose between a defensemen who can carry the puck or play lights-out shutdown hockey, and I can't have both, I'm gonna go with the better defensive defensemen.

Plus, I see Pronger playing until he is old and grey, and STILL being an imposing player.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
caliamad

I love the way Scott Niedermayer plays... during the regular season... playing the guessing game in the offseason hurts long term planning.

Pronger isn't the force that Niedermayer is defensively, but he's probably the best PP QB in the league. Pairing him with a guy with some skating ability and physical ability is something he's been missing since coming to anaheim (imagine Bech/Wiz). Give him an extension and trade clause to specific cities.

However, if Pronger does not sign an extension right now, I'd move him ASAP (granted it has to be great offer). I just don't like the idea of losing both in 2 seasons. Our defense would be Wiz/Whitney, and a bunch of rookies/flunkies.

Moving Pronger now on a 1 year deal is an advantage to an uncertain cap next year. It gives teams that feel they are close a chance to go take a chance on him, but abandon ship if it doesn't work out.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
Pronger isn't the force that Niedermayer is defensively,
Pronger is much better than Niedermayer defensively, what are you basing that comment on???

I would hate to lose either but if I had to pick I would take probably take Pronger. He's younger, better and will likely sign an extension if the Ducks want to keep him here.

Also, I don't want to imagine how bad our PP would be with Whitney as the QB over Pronger.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
I want to say Pronger because individually he seems better. But then I think about how we did with Pronger and no Niedermayer last season, and think about how we did with Niedermayer and no Pronger (granted that was 07, but also a stretch in 08).

And now I'm confuzzled.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Ducks

The other thing that Pronger brings to the table, is that he really gets into the heads of other players. They voted him the dirtiest player along with Avery, that really says something about how opposing players feel going against him. He's big, mean, plays with the longest allowable stick, and really makes his presence felt. Pronger is the guy that if they did a poll for "which defenseman do you hate to go up against the most", he'd probably win that too.

Old
06-02-2009, 11:38 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Pronger.

He is on contract at a reasonable rate. Ducks should offer him an extension and let Scott and Rob walk.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Pronger.

He is on contract at a reasonable rate. Ducks should offer him an extension and let Scott and Rob walk.
This one but only if he signs the extension. We just can´t let him walk for free.

Anyway interesting summer coming...was the meeting with Bob and Scott 14th June?

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post
The other thing that Pronger brings to the table, is that he really gets into the heads of other players. They voted him the dirtiest player along with Avery, that really says something about how opposing players feel going against him. He's big, mean, plays with the longest allowable stick, and really makes his presence felt. Pronger is the guy that if they did a poll for "which defenseman do you hate to go up against the most", he'd probably win that too.
My thoughts also, he's big and mean, if he leaves, that just leaves Perry as the "hated" one and he's just not big and mean.

I'd like both for the next year and extend Pronger.

Can we get Komisarick (sp) too?

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:35 PM
crabtooch88

two seperate points.....

straight up contest is asking who's better? Neids and it's not close! The team responds more with him in the lineup, and Neids is just a flat out better D-Man!

If you're asking long term? Yeah, I suppose you could make the case for Prongs, but how much longer can he a. take the body and b. be able to skate and keep up with the younger players

I'm taking the wayyyyyy safer route which is Nieds.

But if you're argument is that Pronger will be around longer, then I can't argue too much.

crabtooch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtooch88 View Post
two seperate points.....

straight up contest is asking who's better? Neids and it's not close! The team responds more with him in the lineup, and Neids is just a flat out better D-Man!

If you're asking long term? Yeah, I suppose you could make the case for Prongs, but how much longer can he a. take the body and b. be able to skate and keep up with the younger players

I'm taking the wayyyyyy safer route which is Nieds.

But if you're argument is that Pronger will be around longer, then I can't argue too much.
How is Niedermayer safer? He has more defensive blunders than Pronger does, has his brother to carry around to the team, and is mulling retirement again...

Old
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Neids is just a flat out better D-Man!
I don't agree. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Nieds:

Better Puck Movement/mobility

Clutch playmaker

Prongs:

Better Defensively

Powerplay Quarterback

Those are really the two areas that set them apart, all other aspects of the game they are pretty comparable in terms of effectiveness. But to say one is better than the other is tough because they play two very different styles of game and different team roles.

As far as the "safe" choice, it's Pronger because he actually wants to stay and probably play until he's old and grey or gets banned for breaking someone's face in half with his elbow.

Old
06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
crabtooch88

You have to compare apples and oranges when only choosing one to put in a fruit salad. Who would you take to lead your team, in the locker room and on the ice? Experience? Winning attitude? Come on, it's not even close!

Old
06-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
You have to compare apples and oranges when only choosing one to put in a fruit salad. Who would you take to lead your team, in the locker room and on the ice? Experience? Winning attitude? Come on, it's not even close!
Pronger has just as much experience, is far better defensively and is more valuable to our special teams units, plus he wants to play here. Who's going to abuse fowards in front of the net, or QB the PP if Prongers not here?? Niedermayer is an amazing player but if he comes back it's likely for one year tops, I'd rather keep and extend Pronger than have one year of Niedermayer, although I don't see why the Ducks won't keep both.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:42 AM
crabtooch88

Championship Experience!!!!!! Add em up.

Come on bro, it's not contest....i like Pronger, but I'm arguing who's better, that's all. Neids and it's not that close.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Championship Experience!!!!!! Add em up.

Come on bro, it's not contest....i like Pronger, but I'm arguing who's better, that's all. Neids and it's not that close.
haha ok "bro", I see you are already acquainted with HF lingo saying it's not that close, but open your eyes son, Pronger is better.

Old
06-05-2009, 03:00 PM
crabtooch88

I have thick skin my man, so give me the "son" all you want, I laugh, when feathers are ruffled, btw, love your avatar. Sorry, we are going to agree to disagree...wow are we ever!

How did the team do under Pronger's watch? And then how in the world did the C go back to Neids? Interesting.

My friend, we both want the Ducks to succeed, so I'll give you the last word on this matter, as you seem to really need it...btw2, being called a Bro isn't a terrible thing. Toughen up friend.

BTW3, I think Pronger is a valued player and even a top player, but I'd but Pronger in the top 8-12, but have Neids in the top 1-3, easily....and guess what, that's my opinion....ok good buddy, have the last word.

Old
06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Ducks

He's not your friend buddy!

fyi - this is a South Park reference

Last edited by Ducks: 06-06-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old
06-05-2009, 03:58 PM
crabtooch88

oh darn! oh well, maybe someone else! I was so hoping!

Old
06-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Benny Lava

Scott may be the stronger leader, but Pronger's the better player. I'll take The Gap.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM
crabtooch88

Are we talking NHL 09?

I thought we were talking real NHL?

Pronger better then Nieds? You guys are nuts...put this poll on a National Board, please!!!!!!!!!!!!