HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bryan Little to Toronto.

Old
06-02-2009, 11:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Toronto has nothing to deal for Little outside of their 1st this year and Atlanta isn't rebuilding.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:17 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Kaberle will help out there offense immensely, and Tlusty is NHL-ready. Tlusty was also unbelievable in the second half of the AHL season, and will likely produce next year.
Having suffered through the past two seasons, it's clear to me offense is not our problem. We have enough puck-moving D for two teams.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:48 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okposofan21 View Post
throw in Kovalchuk, Atlanta's first this year and Little for Kaberle and a 5th in 2013
glad you stopped by to post garbage.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:19 AM
seanlinden

Terrible deal....talk about a massive overpayment for the Leafs..... meanwhile, the thrashers have committed to a long term rebuild and cannot sacrifice little.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Terrible deal....talk about a massive overpayment for the Leafs..... meanwhile, the thrashers have committed to a long term rebuild and cannot sacrifice little.
Lol you and DougGilmour93 kill me.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Why on earth would Atlanta want to give up a young forward with great potential for a defenseman over the age of 30?
For the Thrashers' run to the Cup, of course. Win now!

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 08:55 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Toronto has nothing to deal for Little outside of their 1st this year and Atlanta isn't rebuilding.
You're right, they're still in the original building phase.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
More like Kaberle for Little +
You obviously don't know who Little is

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Darth Milbury

I actually see Toronto and Atlanta as being in similar positions, with Atlanta maybe a bit further down the road. Both teams have holes, but a nice young core. And, I expect that both teams will become competitive again very shortly.

Oh, and to Atlanta fans (and BTN in particular) I'd like to publically eat my words about Little. I once said that there wasn't a GM in hockey who would take Little above Okposo. Right now, it is probably the other way around. Atlanta has got themselves another stud here - and I can easily see him scoring 40 in the near future.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
suprvilce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Assuming that Atlanta is looking to be competitive next year and gain a little depth, this is the offer that Burke should make for Bryan Little.

To Atlanta: Tomas Kaberle, Jiri Tlusty, and a 2011 1st round draft pick.
To Toronto: Bryan Little.

Atlanta gets a good veteran defenseman to pair with Bogosian (they'd make an awesome pair), a solid NHL-ready prospect in Tlusty (he excels at right wing, though he's a left handed shot), and a 1st round draft pick in 2011.
I don't know what makes people think Atlanta would trade Little.

suprvilce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The problem here is that these teams are too alike, and teams that are alike are generally poor fits for trades.

The Leafs are still stockpiling youth. They have a few elder assets, some with solid value, that they would presumably like to parlay into quality youth. From Toronto's standpoint, Little makes complete sense as a trade target.

Yet this proposal (and you can distill it down to a Little for Kaberle deal; the rest is window dressing) falls apart when you look at Atlanta's perspective. I would defy you to find a single Atlanta booster who finds the prospect of dealing Little for Kaberle remotely attractive.

The key to a quality trade proposal is to understand the needs of both teams, where they sit in their respective wave crests and troughs on the rebuild-competitive cycle, and their areas of positional strength. Consider the following:
  • Atlanta is not going to be competitive next year, and perhaps not the year afterwards. They have a promising future, but Kaberle's deal will be ending as that future begins.
  • For now, Atlanta is still accumulating young talent.
  • Atlanta has several weaknesses, but its area of greatest strength is arguably mobile, puck-moving defensemen, including a mix of veterans and youth. Kaberle is a mobile, puck-moving defenseman.
  • Aside from Little, Atlanta's scoring is very veteran in composition. White (34) and Kozlov (37) are aging, while the future status of the younger superstar in Kovalchuk is very much in flux. Until he's signed, Little is the team's entire future at the forward position.
  • Little is both an impact player in the present and will be with the club that owns his rights for a good five plus years, at a minimum. As his present club begins to improve, he is poised to mature into his prime at the same time that his club is doing so.
Toronto is trying to trade Kaberle, and would like to acquire futures when it does so. It needs to find a partner that feels some pressure to compete for a Cup in the present, because it is those clubs that value what Kaberle can provide. That club should ideally be one of the 20-25 clubs in the league that are perpetually hungry for puck-moving defensemen.

Atlanta is neither hungry to win right now nor seeking that type of player. In point of fact, Atlanta is a team that just finished 27th in the league, which is flush with puck-moving defensemen. There is no way in Hades that the Thrashers would deal their best young forward for Kaberle.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Oh, and to Atlanta fans (and BTN in particular) I'd like to publically eat my words about Little. I once said that there wasn't a GM in hockey who would take Little above Okposo. Right now, it is probably the other way around. Atlanta has got themselves another stud here - and I can easily see him scoring 40 in the near future.
LOL, I was worried about Okposo making me look foolish with his play down the stretch Can't lose with either one.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:45 AM
AintLifeGrand

Was that intended for a mid day laugh?

The Thrashers with a pick up of 2 players should poise them to be better than the caps this year

Atlanta has a glut of puck moving d men, we need Stay at home guys, furthering evidence of your general lack of reason when it comes to formulating logical dealz

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
counter proposal

to toronto
hainsey
machacek

to atlanta
schenn

it's about the same tyhing really, maybe hainsey is a little less skilled than kaberel but he did score 35+ points with limited powerplay time and machacek is a skilled ahler that could be in the nhl next season

seems pretty damn stupid now doesn't it
LOL.

Not even close to the same thing. That's like saying Wideman and Niedermayer are on the same level. Don't look at the stat sheet... Kaberle is miles ahead of Hainsey, both offensively and defensively.

I find that a lot of people underrate Kaberle for the simple fact that he plays for the Leafs.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Toronto Maple Burke

Leafs overpays here, but Atlanta still doesn't do it.

Kaberle is not what Atlanta needs as they already have some PMDs in their system (couple of them who have potential to be as good or better than Kaberle in future) and cannot lose a player like Little who has already proven to be an impact NHL player at such a young age.

This trade doesn't make sense for either teams. BTW, Kaberle >> Hainsey, the fact that the two are being compared is laughable.

Toronto Maple Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Well thats 2 absolutly terrible proposals i have see from you

can you stop now?

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:37 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Atlanta is neither hungry to win right now nor seeking that type of player. In point of fact, Atlanta is a team that just finished 27th in the league, which is flush with puck-moving defensemen. There is no way in Hades that the Thrashers would deal their best young forward for Kaberle.
Atlanta, first and foremost, needs to impress Kovalchuk. Otherwise, he walks. I'm expecting an attempt to make the playoffs, but I'm also expecting Atlanta to fall short of that goal. It would still be a move in the right direction.

Secondly, Atlanta has plenty of puck moving d-men. We need stay at home types. Atlanta could REALLY use a guy like Kane, too, but I wouldn't mind a trade too much, only if the player(s)/package we receive in return provides a good defensive defender. If we can flip the pick for a legit top-4 defensive defender, and maybe a prospect/pick, I would be happy with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
You're right, they're still in the original building phase.
LOL! Agreed!

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Yes, to a point. Atlanta has moved beyond the 'dealing veterans for picks and prospects' phase and is in the 'trying to improve by molding young talent' phase. They are not yet in the 'willing to deal futures for immediate returns phase,' however, even for Kovalchuk. After a 27th place finish, they have realistic designs on a #7 or #8 playoff spot, not contender status. You need to be in that next bracket to countenance a futures for Kaberle trade, and Atlanta isn't yet there.

Their goal is to make the playoffs, not win a Cup... and anyway, dealing Little doesn't even help in that regard. He's on the team and he's a key player. Dealing a prospect or a pick for a good player is seen as a win for contenders becauyse you aren't taking anything/anything important off your roster to add a potentially impact player. Little is already an impact player, though. Dealing him for Kaberle is lateral, and arguably even a downgrade, in the present, never mind the future.

There are few scenarios in which dealing Little now for another player makes the Thrashers a better team next year (and I value Kaberle quite a bit).

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
odgersfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
  • Atlanta is not going to be competitive next year, and perhaps not the year afterwards. They have a promising future, but Kaberle's deal will be ending as that future begins.
  • For now, Atlanta is still accumulating young talent.
  • Atlanta has several weaknesses, but its area of greatest strength is arguably mobile, puck-moving defensemen, including a mix of veterans and youth. Kaberle is a mobile, puck-moving defenseman.
  • Aside from Little, Atlanta's scoring is very veteran in composition. White (34) and Kozlov (37) are aging, while the future status of the younger superstar in Kovalchuk is very much in flux. Until he's signed, Little is the team's entire future at the forward position.
  • Little is both an impact player in the present and will be with the club that owns his rights for a good five plus years, at a minimum. As his present club begins to improve, he is poised to mature into his prime at the same time that his club is doing so.

I have to strongly disagree that Atlanta is not set for a playoff run in 09-10.

The Thrashers went 17-11 in their last 28 games of the season. Once the team cleared some of the older guys (Havelid and Schneider) and gave more ice time to young defensemen like Bogosian and Salmela, the team played exeptionally well.

Atlanta has got a good amount of cap room this off-season. A strong signing of either a top-6 forward or a top-4 defensemen and I don't see how the Thrashers won't, at least, be competitive for a playoff spot.

odgersfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
More like Kaberle for Little +
overrating much?

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
LOL.

Not even close to the same thing. That's like saying Wideman and Niedermayer are on the same level. Don't look at the stat sheet... Kaberle is miles ahead of Hainsey, both offensively and defensively.

I find that a lot of people underrate Kaberle for the simple fact that he plays for the Leafs.
good god for the last time i'ts called sarcasm

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
good god for the last time i'ts called sarcasm
whoah man, not cool. On hfboards if you don't put a ... then it is not considered sarcasm.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:15 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by odgersfan83 View Post
Atlanta has got a good amount of cap room this off-season. A strong signing of either a top-6 forward or a top-4 defensemen and I don't see how the Thrashers won't, at least, be competitive for a playoff spot.
Unfortunately, we also have cheap owners. Waddell has stated he expects to stay at the $46m level, as far as salary is concerned.

Once that's factored into the equation, there's no telling where we end up next season.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

this is the worst trade in HFboards history, even worse than the guy who said he wouldnt trade Tyler Myers for Ovie..

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
this is the worst trade in HFboards history, even worse than the guy who said he wouldnt trade Tyler Myers for Ovie..
wwoooooooww it is slightly bad for the leafs. It is no where near Myers for Ovie bad.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote