HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Savard sidelined by Molson family

Old
06-03-2009, 02:11 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

vCash: 500
Savard sidelined by Molson family

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/opinions/c...nne-raison.php

Key points:

1. Savard feels close enough to the Molson family to not want to compete with them. His kids were skating with the Molson brothers on the Forum rink at the Christmas parties back in the days.

2. He doesn't close the books on buying the Club, but he'll take a more passive stance and wait for what happens next. He doesn't hide the fact that financial reasons have led him to take this decision. Some 300 to 500k expenses to verify books apparently.

3. He sees the coming of the Molson family in the picture as good news and a logical choice. They would be there for hockey and not some convergence mumbo jumbo. (shooting arrows at PKP)

4. The author speculates that BCE is now with Molson and that was supposedly confirmed to La Presse by a source close to the deal. A rumor with legs since Bell is a direct competitor of Quebecor.

5. The author assumes that this means the Montreal Canadiens will be sold, but Savard states that last time he spoke with Gillett in April, he didn't say he wanted to sell and still hasn't said it yet.

Well that's pretty much it.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 02:21 AM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

bce with the molson family sounds good to me

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Ideal situation, I think. Plus with the way it's going(600 mill) you will need two big money sources coming together and BCE and Molson would be that juggernaut. Hopefully Savard will still be a in the mix. He's the father figure protector that will have the best interest of the Habs at heart and guide this ship properly.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:56 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Ideal situation, I think. Plus with the way it's going(600 mill) you will need two big money sources coming together and BCE and Molson would be that juggernaut. Hopefully Savard will still be a in the mix. He's the father figure protector that will have the best interest of the Habs at heart and guide this ship properly.
Molson and BCE as owners and Savard as president/co-owner (replacing Boivin)

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Thinkaboutthat

It looks like it will be Molson, after all!
Savard lunches a jab to Quebecor by saying the Molsons are there for the good reasons!

Thinkaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:19 AM
kent_carlson

The last time they were owners they were pretty "thrifty", but I could use other words. Things change however, there is a cap, the canadian dollar is much stronger, so it could be ok.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:41 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
The last time they were owners they were pretty "thrifty", but I could use other words. Things change however, there is a cap, the canadian dollar is much stronger, so it could be ok.
Aren't they also the next generation, as in, not the same people?

The crucial difference, at any rate, is that the Habs are making money right now -- they spend to the cap, have plenty of supplemental expenses (like a brand-new training facility) and still turn a profit.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:49 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Aren't they also the next generation, as in, not the same people?

The crucial difference, at any rate, is that the Habs are making money right now -- they spend to the cap, have plenty of supplemental expenses (like a brand-new training facility) and still turn a profit.
It is a wait and see situation. There was an article on Canoe-Argent a couple of days ago and some financial analysts were saying that they probably have somekind of "a droit de regard", so basically they are one step in front of all the others.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Richer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
I believe last time the team was owned by the Molson Corporation this time it will be owned by the indivduals. Hopefully they will be better because they are not answerable to shareholder who (rightfully) were not interested in taking financial risks on a hockey team when they owned stock in a beer company.

Richer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Pat

BCE and Molson family owning the Habs is by far better and more logical than P-K Peladeau.

please hockey gods...don't let PKP get his hands on the Habs.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Habs

Translation : I could never afford this team, I just like getting my name in the news from time to time.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:55 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkaboutthat View Post
It looks like it will be Molson, after all!
Savard lunches a jab to Quebecor by saying the Molsons are there for the good reasons!
here's an article in english

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1166811/

here's the jab

“They're a logical choice, they're there for all the right reasons. They're in it for the hockey, not content or whatever,” Savard told the paper in an apparent reference to Quebecor, Videotron and Sun Media magnate Pierre Karl Péladeau, who is heading another consortium interested in buying the team.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Translation : I could never afford this team, I just like getting my name in the news from time to time.
C'mon.

He is a credible individual. Of course he didn't have the kind of money to buy the Canadians but that's why he was trying to build on consortium.

He is also aware of the importance of maintaining relationships. Once the Molson were in, the landscape changed and he retreated.

Nothing that had anything to do with a need for publicity.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
C'mon.

He is a credible individual. Of course he didn't have the kind of money to buy the Canadians but that's why he was trying to build on consortium.

He is also aware of the importance of maintaining relationships. Once the Molson were in, the landscape changed and he retreated.

Nothing that had anything to do with a need for publicity.
Well you have to add also that he didn't close the books on buying the club. His analogy is there no was kick off yet and you never know, the players might actually fumble.

His decision of not verifying books is a bit more worrisome, it's as if he doesn't Gillett with 9 foot clown pole. Prevention is better law suits as someone might say or the books agreement was completely one sided.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

From what I've heard, the canadian dollar will go back even with the US in the forceable future (its already at ,91 cents US, a reason why the NHL governors might be hard-pressed to send a team to Canada afterall), and if so, and if Gillet can stay afloat with all his debts while using the Habs yearly profits rather than the revenues from selling them (300 mil already in loan with how much to repay? Only what? 200-300 he'll make in the end?), than I hope he'll keep the team.

I wouldn't mind BCE and Molson. But I don't see why they would change Boivin. Boivin is one of the main reasons the Habs have so much profit. If you're buying the team, you don't wanna change a financially winning recipe.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Maxhab

I keep seeing posts here and on other msg boards about how some people think that if Molson buys the team then they will make Savard president. But didn't Boivin come from the Molson company? if I remember correctly he had the choice between going back to Molson or staying on as the Canadiens president when the Canadiens were bought by Gillet. I may be mistaken but i'm pretty sure this was the case, that being said if he did come from the Molson company then why wouldent they keep him on if they were to buy the team?

Maxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:31 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

just speculation here from ckac

gillett will stay as the owner, he would sell 20% to the molson and molson would buy the 19% shared own by molson coors

so gillett would have around 60% shared of the habs and the molson around 40%

Old
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhab View Post
I keep seeing posts here and on other msg boards about how some people think that if Molson buys the team then they will make Savard president. But didn't Boivin come from the Molson company? if I remember correctly he had the choice between going back to Molson or staying on as the Canadiens president when the Canadiens were bought by Gillet. I may be mistaken but i'm pretty sure this was the case, that being said if he did come from the Molson company then why wouldent they keep him on if they were to buy the team?
You're right. Savard stated in a an interview he would have not taken the position of GM or President as the owner of the team. I can't imagine he would take either of these positions with the Molsons as owners either.

I still don't like Boivin as President anyhow... Savard would be better no doubt and that's probably why there's a lot of speculation in that direction.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:37 PM
AlexMeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhab View Post
Boivin was working for Bauer before becoming the president of the Habs.
Reggie Houle was the one working at Molson IIRC.

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Maxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMeth View Post
Boivin was working for Bauer before becoming the president of the Habs.
Reggie Houle was the one working at Molson IIRC.
Ah your right, thanks for the info.

Maxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
HABsurde

Why is Quebecor bad and BCE good, i don't want the Habs on a private channel own by Quebecor BUT, i don't want it either only on Bell satelite with special feature only on Bell cell

Ah yeah... bell, english folks, Quebecor, french folks..... Never mind

HABsurde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:03 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
just speculation here from ckac

gillett will stay as the owner, he would sell 20% to the molson and molson would buy the 19% shared own by molson coors

so gillett would have around 60% shared of the habs and the molson around 40%
so you're saying Gillet owns 60, and the molson family buys the 19 from molson company, and 21 from Gillet to make it 2 private owners.

Sounds like a good combo to me.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:08 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Why is Quebecor bad and BCE good, i don't want the Habs on a private channel own by Quebecor BUT, i don't want it either only on Bell satelite with special feature only on Bell cell

Ah yeah... bell, english folks, Quebecor, french folks..... Never mind
No that's not the point. BCE would be a partner, Quebecor would be sole owner with a business man that I would qualify as Farfelu. There's better french business men in this city and one of them actually brought BCE in this mix.

Old
06-03-2009, 04:15 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
so you're saying Gillet owns 60, and the molson family buys the 19 from molson company, and 21 from Gillet to make it 2 private owners.

Sounds like a good combo to me.
well it was only speculation part of ckac but that sound good to me too (hope it came true)

Old
06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
You're right. Savard stated in a an interview he would have not taken the position of GM or President as the owner of the team. I can't imagine he would take either of these positions with the Molsons as owners either.

I still don't like Boivin as President anyhow... Savard would be better no doubt and that's probably why there's a lot of speculation in that direction.
I am interested to know your logic behind Savard being a better president then Boivin?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote