HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery could sign for one-year @ 1.5m (post #553)

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2009, 09:34 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I am not saying he won't work out, I am saying it is way too big of a risk when you have a great core.
The Flyers don't have a "great core". Or haven't.

Maybe with the growth of 5, 18, 17, 25, 6, and 77 they will soon, but they haven't demonstrated greatness yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Emery has 1 good year, Biron has 6. 1 year can be a fluke (see Jim Carey). 6 years can't be.
Let's trade Giroux for Prospal, then.

Old
06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
BerubeBox*

If it really is only ~1.2, why isn't there more speculation that he'd be a replacement for Nitty rather than for Biron? Actually I'd like to see that. Nitty's been given chances to push Marty for the job and never did much with them. Now it's pretty obvious that he never will, regardless of his health, if he plays, or for who. A fresh back-up with something to prove could lead to a platoon, which is usually a good thing because then no one gets complacent.

If Marty's not part of the equation this year, just save the cash and put it towards a real solution. Every million is huge.

And yes I realize they'd have to make additional tweaks if they were going to pay 6.2 for Biron/Emery.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
If it really is only ~1.2, why isn't there more speculation that he'd be a replacement for Nitty rather than for Biron? Actually I'd like to see that. Nitty's been given chances to push Marty for the job and never did much with them. Now it's pretty obvious that he never will, regardless of his health, if he plays, or for who. A fresh back-up with something to prove could lead to a platoon, which is usually a good thing because then no one gets complacent.

If Marty's not part of the equation this year, just save the cash and put it towards a real solution. Every million is huge.

And yes I realize they'd have to make additional tweaks if they were going to pay 6.2 for Biron/Emery.
Well, the report -- from league sources -- is that the Flyers are specifically signing him to be their starter. The fact that Biron's agent is now stating that he doesn't expect to talk to the team until after the draft makes this seem even more likely to go down.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
What was documented? That’s BS/media fabrication. Team did not like him because Cechmanek was getting abused in that playoffs against Sens and he skated to the center of the ice screaming something in Czechs. (something that very normal in Europe)
Media BS? Chris Therien has specifically said he hated playing with him. The playoff series culminated in the team shooting pucks at his head in warmups. He didn't last particularly long in LA, and since then he was kicked off a SEL team.

And whether it's normal in Europe or not is irrelevant, this isn't Europe.

You can like the guy all you want, but the fact of the matter was that he wasn't liked here and that's why he was traded away.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
I hear what you are saying Dig. But all the stuff he was "claimed" to do in Ottawa was just blown out of proportion by the Ottawa media. The stuff he did in Russia is also dumb. Wouldn't you get upset if the team was not paying you?? I know i would. I am willing to give the guy a chance.
Getting pulled over 30 times, from his own mouth, is ridiculous. Does being a bad driver make you a bad person...no. However, it sounds like he's a reckless and dangerous driver...which is dangerous to other people, so I think we can say that makes you a bad person.

However, the larger point would be that you don't learn your lesson after getting pulled over 30 times? Or are you just so rich that you don't care? Either would be a character flaw, IMO.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Emery is more than capable of being a starting goalie. When you compare each goalies best years (NHL), they very similar...
There is a LONG list of athletes capable of being very good professional athletes that don't put it together and have success. I would be fine with gambling on one of those types of players as a skater...I am not fine gambling on one of those types of players when we should be looking to compete for a Cup over the next couple years.

Of course, I think a coaching change is necessary to really get us there.

Quote:
If he can stay focused and avoid the extra curricular activities, he's just as good as Biron for a fraction of the price...offering cap flexibility.
If...If...If...30 friggin traffic violations? 30? When has this guy ever shown he has the ability to stay to the middle road?

Look, there's no doubt Emery has talent to play the sport of hockey...that isn't being questioned. Where there is signficant doubt is if he's a wise signing for a team to commit one of the most important positions in sports to. If this works, that's great...but the downside of it not working is massive.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:27 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I am all for giving Emery a second chance. I think he realizes if he does not smarten up this time around he will probably never return to the NHL again.

Ottawa needed a scapegoat and blamed their poor season due to Emery, but what happened to them this season?

If it is a 1 year 1-1.25mill deal then this can pay off big. It gives us space to improve in other areas and it allows us to hold on to Briere so his stock can go up a bit to squelch any doubts about his proudtivity. (and possibly increase his trade value if he waived his nmc)

This can lead to either a Jbo deal this year, or a Lungo deal next year. This buys Homer some needed time to move players.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
This buys Homer some needed time to move players.
Not really, he needs to move Lupul now, because he has a NTC clause that will kick in after next season. Randy Jones' contract will expire, but, frankly, I think we need to improve his roster position sooner rather than later.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:32 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
He will likely bring some fire to a milquetoast team.

Swagger is what we need!
Sounds great for a 3rd/4th line forward or a 5th/6th dman, not a starting goaltender.

This said if the Flyers sign Emery to be their enforcer then I'm all for bringing him on board. If he's being signed to be their starter, no thank you and I hope that they sign a very good backup.

BTW, interesting piece on Emery's Wikipedia page about his "personal life"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Emery

"He once made a $500 bet with Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, which required Emery to eat a cockroach that had been found on the floor of a Carolina dressing room. He won the bet, and used the money to get another tattoo on his right arm which read, "Anger is a Gift" "

"Emery was involved in September 2007 in an incident of road rage towards an Ottawa retiree named Jean Therien, while on a freeway driving to Scotiabank Place for training. Emery claimed that Therien cut him off and is just bitter that he lost the "war of words". Therien said that Emery threatened to kill him, and feared for his life after being forced to stop when Emery blocked the road with his Hummer"

"Prior to his departure for Russia in 2008, Emery told on TSN's show Off the Record with Michael Landsberg that he was stopped by police at least 30 times in two years while driving his Hummer"

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this signing reaks of Billy Tibbetts all over again.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 06-04-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old
06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not really, he needs to move Lupul now, because he has a NTC clause that will kick in after next season. Randy Jones' contract will expire, but, frankly, I think we need to improve his roster position sooner rather than later.
i thought joffrey's NTC was limited to a list of like 6 teams that he'd refuse a trade to.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Cuiff

For as much as my predictions are as right as they are disliked, this signing will not work in the Flyers favor. How big of an issue it depends but this news is not good. Best case the Flyers get an equally as good goalie as they had last year at a lesser cost. Problem is, that level of goal tending will not get them past the Pen!! I understand this might free up $$ to sign a better blue liner but it is not going to free up enough to sign both J bo plus another top 4 guy. Even if it does, the Flyers need the stars to align just to get equal play to Biron out of Ray. Too risky, way too risky!

Old
06-04-2009, 10:50 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
For as much as my predictions are as right as they are disliked, this signing will not work in the Flyers favor. How big of an issue it depends but this news is not good. Best case the Flyers get an equally as good goalie as they had last year at a lesser cost. Problem is, that level of goal tending will not get them past the Pen!! I understand this might free up $$ to sign a better blue liner but it is not going to free up enough to sign both J bo plus another top 4 guy. Even if it does, the Flyers need the stars to align just to get equal play to Biron out of Ray. Too risky, way too risky!
I think Emery has the talent to play BETTER then Biron.

However, does he have the character to stay out of trouble?

I don't know.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I think Emery has the talent to play BETTER then Biron.

However, does he have the character to stay out of trouble?

I don't know.
Not so sure. Compare their playoff numbers. Almost identical...and even if he can play better, by how much and is it worth the risk?

Old
06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Not so sure. Compare their playoff numbers. Almost identical...and even if he can play better, by how much and is it worth the risk?
Well, if Biron wants $5mill a year and we pay Emery $1.2 for similar play, obviously there will be the risk that Emery is a locker room cancer.

However, the gamble is cheap if Biron priced himself out of Philly.

Also, it wasn't the goalie play that ended our season in the first round. Trading Lupul, dumping Jones and grabbing a solid defensemen from Free Agency or Trade will upgrade the D enough to improve the team, honestly.

Especially if we can avoid the injury bug and Briere and Giroux play lots of minutes.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Opus

Quote:
There is a LONG list of athletes capable of being very good professional athletes that don't put it together and have success. I would be fine with gambling on one of those types of players as a skater...I am not fine gambling on one of those types of players when we should be looking to compete for a Cup over the next couple years.

Of course, I think a coaching change is necessary to really get us there.
Agreed, but he's posted very similar numbers to Biron and would come at a fraction of the cost. That allows wiggle room, to possibly compete for the Stanley Cup.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a coaching change, not anytime soon.

Quote:
If...If...If...30 friggin traffic violations? 30? When has this guy ever shown he has the ability to stay to the middle road?

Look, there's no doubt Emery has talent to play the sport of hockey...that isn't being questioned. Where there is signficant doubt is if he's a wise signing for a team to commit one of the most important positions in sports to. If this works, that's great...but the downside of it not working is massive.
I actually couldn't care less about his traffic tickets to be honest with you. If I was a millionaire, I'd probably speed all the time too. I don't, simply because I can't afford to. I'm more worried about him being late for practice, fighting his teammates...that kind of stuff.

The downside is massive. The upside is also massive. I'm not as pessimistic as some others here, and would be willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt...until he does something detrimental to the team (should he sign here). I have no problems wiping him a clean slate and giving him the benefit of the doubt until he screws up.

Until that happens, I'll look at the positives.

This move wouldn't be all negative.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
The risk seems to be worth roughly 5mill-1.25 mill, and then if we consider Biron wanting multiple years as well.

Of course this is speculation, but there is also a big risk in taking Biron for 3 years at roughly 5mill (if that is what he is asking for).

Old
06-04-2009, 11:07 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I actually couldn't care less about his traffic tickets to be honest with you. If I was a millionaire, I'd probably speed all the time too. I don't, simply because I can't afford to. I'm more worried about him being late for practice, fighting his teammates...that kind of stuff.
If I were a millionaire I'd hire a chaueffeur and never drive another day in my life.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:09 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
If I were a millionaire I'd hire a chaueffeur and never drive another day in my life.
I love driving.

I'd drive some sick exotic cars. And some muscle cars. And some luxury cars.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I love driving.

I'd drive some sick exotic cars. And some muscle cars. And some luxury cars.
This, why would you want someone driving your Ferrari or labmo?

Old
06-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Really?

When money is no object, and neither are the consequences of tickets and insurance...

Old
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
If the Flyers signed Bouwmeester, they wouldn't have to sign another top 4 guy. Timonen, Bouwmeester, Coburn, Parent, Carle and then they have Jones and Sbisa. Pairings could look like this:

Timonen-Coburn
Bowmeester-Parent
Carle-Sbisa or Jones-Carle or Jones-Sbisa.

Honestly, I could care less who the third pairing would be. They can trade Carle AND Jones and re-sign Alberts and go with Alberts-Sbisa.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Really?

When money is no object, and neither are the consequences of tickets and insurance...
You may have no problem with putting other drivers on the road at risk, but I do. We're not talking about a guy that gets tagged for speeding...we're talking about a guy that stopped another car in the middle of the road and threatened him.

His driving is not something to ignore...it's the activities of a reckless, careless, and irresponsible person. Everyone speeds a bit, very few get pulled over 30 friggin times.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
The risk seems to be worth roughly 5mill-1.25 mill, and then if we consider Biron wanting multiple years as well.
If he has a meltdown with the team again, and we are left with no quality starting goalie...will the risk be worth it?

Quote:
Of course this is speculation, but there is also a big risk in taking Biron for 3 years at roughly 5mill (if that is what he is asking for).
What risk is there with Biron, do explain. I understand the cap hit is significant, but it's not out of proportion with what a starting goaltender costs in this league. Biron is a good guy in the room, and has been exactly what anyone would expect from him over the course of two seasons as the starter here: an average starting goaltender. He also is not old for a goalie at all.

So, please explain the "risks" of signing Biron. You can argue he is "expensive" -- which I would debate, I would argue that goalies are expensive -- but I don't see how anyone can paint him as "risky."

Old
06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
UseYourAllusion

I'd drive for fun, but sure as **** I would have a driver to take me out drinking, and other times I feel lazy.

After taking the time to process this deal, I think I like it. My biggest fear now is that Emery has a great season on a one year deal, and then we're back in the same place.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Opus

Quote:
You may have no problem with putting other drivers on the road at risk, but I do. We're not talking about a guy that gets tagged for speeding...we're talking about a guy that stopped another car in the middle of the road and threatened him.

His driving is not something to ignore...it's the activities of a reckless, careless, and irresponsible person. Everyone speeds a bit, very few get pulled over 30 friggin times.
What young millionaire athletes don't break the law in some way, shape or form.

An interview with Ovechkin...

Who in your team is known as crazy driver? About whom are the legends made?

- The legends are made about Semin and me! I normally try to drive carefully. Only once, because I was late to the team's training, I accelerated to 165 miles per hour. You can convert yourself how much it is in kilometers. And the flying ended, the police stopped me near White House.

Link

The guy in the Emery case admitted to cutting Emery off, and he lost his cool...so what? Now, if he had 30 reported cases of road rage...different story. 30 tickets, so what. That has nothing to do with how he stops pucks, and is no more concerning than a few of the teams players appearing out on the town, crashing parties under the influence. Not in my mind anyways.

Closed Thread