HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kessel to Colorado for 3rd overall in 2009

Old
06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Johnstarks

vCash: 500
Kessel to Colorado for 3rd overall in 2009

Per CKAC 730 am in Montreal, the Boston Bruins are thinking about sending Phil Kessel to the Avalanche for the 3rd overall pick in 2009.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, this trade makes a lot of sense to me. Colorado is removing all risk that a player like Matt Duchene will not pan out and are getting a potential 40+ goal scorer for a long period of time. Boston makes this deal because they want to add to their already promising prospect pool thus extending their chance to remain a strong organization for a very long period of time. Also, they might want to make some cap room for the remaining players and I can clearly see Kessel getting an offer this off season as he is an RFA.

Last edited by Johnstarks: 06-03-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Johnstarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Colorado needs some more quality offensive players. Would be a solid deal for both clubs.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Northern Neighbour

I think Boston would need to add a little bit more to the trade, but the main elements make sense.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I wonder who the Bruins are looking at? Is there any chance they would want Kane or MPS over Duchene?

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Colton2233

Only way Boston does this if they think they cant sign Kessel.

Colton2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I see Colorado dealing the No. 3 pick, but for a defenseman not a winger. They can use Kessel, for sure, but they NEED a blueliner more imo. Ditto Duchene. Nice player, but they have Stastny, Wolski, Sakic and then Galiardi down the middle.

I think they need to turn No. 3 into a stud blueliner.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see the Avs doing it. Duchene is likely to be there at 3 and he should wind up being a more complete player than kessel. And, yeah, I know Kessel is already a proven scorer. However, Duchene's defensive game NOW is better than Kessel's.

06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Tombernack

COL definitely wouldn't do it. They are expecting Duchene to be a savior and will work for considerably less money than Kessel at the moment. Losing that pick would upset COL's fanbase for sure I'd imagine. Hopefully some COL fans will come on here and weigh in.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

So Boston trades Kessel, for a potential Kessel in Duschene? That assuming Duschene turns out as expected?

Why?

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Gardak

Send a message via MSN to Gardak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I see Colorado dealing the No. 3 pick, but for a defenseman not a winger. They can use Kessel, for sure, but they NEED a blueliner more imo. Ditto Duchene. Nice player, but they have Stastny, Wolski, Sakic and then Galiardi down the middle.

I'm not an expert concerning the Avalanche needs, but i kinda agree with that statement.

With that being said, i think you could flip Kessel to a 3rd team that could provide you with the stud D you mentioned.

But then again, what do i know?

Gardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I don't see the Avs doing it. Duchene is likely to be there at 3 and he should wind up being a more complete player than kessel. And, yeah, I know Kessel is already a proven scorer. However, Duchene's defensive game NOW is better than Kessel's.
So, Duchene is going to be their Jordan Staal? I certainly think it's possible, and it wouldn't be a bad move. But I wonder if they can't get a stud defenseman, because that's really what they need the most. Of course, they need a goalie even before that, but what goalie is worth the No. 3 overall pick?

It's going to get even more interesting soon.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

vCash: 50
I believe that 3rd overall pick is a sleeper for a great talent, not as much talk about Duchane as there should be....Although Kessel is something special, really special...seems interesting.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Not a bad deal value wise. Kessel is the more proven commodity and has a great future, but the 3rd overall pick in this draft will net an excellent prospect. I guess it alleviates some salary cap issues for Boston and restocks a stable in Denver that has been getting thin over the last couple of years. Kessel isn't Joe Sakic, but he would make for a nice replacement talent wise in the Avs line-up.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:01 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Duchene will be an Av.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Fair enough, but Kessel is a probable bet to be a regular 40-50 goal scorer in the NHL and can contribute now. I think that more than makes up for Duchene's potential and perceived better all-around game.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:03 PM
SpezDispenser

Hilarious. Like Colorado would trade away Matt Duchene for Phil Kessel. Duchene being a perfect replacement for Sakic and a lifelong Avs fan vs Kessel who's a good hockey player, but definitely doesn't have the tools that Duchene has shown.

Hmmm...that's a tough one.

One of the dumbest rumours I've heard in a while.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I wonder who the Bruins are looking at? Is there any chance they would want Kane or MPS over Duchene?
Maybe this is Brian Burke's opening to get Tavares?

Old
06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post

Hilarious. Like Colorado would trade away Matt Duchene for Phil Kessel. Duchene being a perfect replacement for Sakic and a lifelong Avs fan vs Kessel who's a good hockey player, but definitely doesn't have the tools that Duchene has shown.

When has Duchene scored 36 goals in the NHL?

Old
06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Johnstarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
So Boston trades Kessel, for a potential Kessel in Duschene? That assuming Duschene turns out as expected?

Why?
1. Because they might not be able to sign him.

2. Because they might want some extra room salary cap wise.

3. Because they dont want another team pulling a Penner or Vanek situation by making an RFA offer that they have to match. Yes they would get picks as compensation, but nothing as tasty as a 3rd overall pick resulting in a player like a Tavares, Duchene or Hedman.

Johnstarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardak View Post
I'm not an expert concerning the Avalanche needs, but i kinda agree with that statement.

With that being said, i think you could flip Kessel to a 3rd team that could provide you with the stud D you mentioned.

But then again, what do i know?
The question is whether teams would value the pick or kessel more. Teams in current contention are going to probly value kessel more (assuming cap space), however, how many d-men are actually available on the trading block (EXCLUDING the OBVIOUS Leafs d-men in kabs and kubina). Are there any teams out there (excluding the obvious leafs) willing to trade a d-man??

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:06 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Potential does not equal proven talent, especially young talent which is why Colorado would do this. I imagine most fans would be more excited about getting a guy from the Bruins who scored nearly 40 goals last year than a guy who they have not seen very much from and has not been proven at the NHL level and may not be ready to make major contributions for a couple years. Boston does this because they actually don't need Kessels production to be successful and get a hell of a prospect that will stay cheap for 3 years giving them cap relief in a way that Colorado does not need so much especially if Sakic is done. Boston is left without a big time goal scorer though, but I think they will be ok with the guys they have.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post

Was this a serious post or just an attempt to stir the pot?

Pending contract aside does it make sense for Boston to trade a young and productive winger for another center?

if they were looking to deal Bergeron or Savard, mayeb it would. Also, Colorado isn't accustomed to being a bottom dweller so they may be looking to improve more quickly than most teams with a 3rd overall pic. If that's the case the guy that has already shown he's living up to his potential may be more attractive to them than an 18 year old that will take 2 or 3 years to make a real big impact.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Dark Knight

Peter Chiarelli will be a genious if he can get that done.

I'm not that big of a Kessell fan. With the recent signing of Krejci, and the existing contract of Bergeron and with Savard becoming a free agent at the end of next season, Boston will be doing themselves a favor by trading one of their young guns on the verge of an expensive contract extention and getting someone in the draft who can fill an immediate need at another spot, like Defense.

This will be a great deal for both sides, IMO.

06-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

perhaps something could be worked out to get the Avs Ference as well?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:10 PM
BadBruins

I don't know where people get the idea that Phil Kessel is some kind of defensive liability. He's still very light on his skates and doesn't appear to posses great hockey sense, but he's a good backchecker with an active stick. He's improved his all around game every year since he came into the league as an extremely raw 18 year old.

I would have to think the Bruins would be looking for someone who can help now if Kessel's contract demands get out of hand. Duchene would look nice if added to an already deep pool of prospects, but the Bruins are in a win now mode and I fail to see how dealing your top winger for a prospect really improves the team.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote